Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Eat Fat, Get Thin
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-10-2012, 06:01 AM   #151
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Buffy45
Stats: Type 2 Diabetic as of 6/1/08
WOE: Ketogenic
Start Date: Restart 7/1/2014
MK, don't know about the others but as far as I am concerned, yes, you are alone in your sadness about the cooler weather , it never gets too cool for me here in Dallas. I treasure those very few really cold days we have, get to have a fire and pretend it is really winter here

Sponsored Links
Old 09-10-2012, 06:02 AM   #152
Big Yapper!!!!

Port, great on the 20 lb loss, I think it is very doable to be 177 by Oct 1st for you.
Old 09-10-2012, 06:19 AM   #153
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: sjl330
Stats: 184/141/140 5'7"
WOE: EFGT-Barry Groves
Start Date: January 2003
Good morning all. And welcome to all the newbies. This thread is hopping lately which is WONDERFUL!!!

MK, I agree with Buffy, you're on your own missing the higher temps. Yesterday the high was about 78 and we enjoyed every single moment of it!! I wish it would repeat for at least 60 days before it gets cooler. But we all know that won't happen. I need to find a perfect climate to live in someday!
Old 09-10-2012, 06:21 AM   #154
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JessBunny
Stats: 370/288/150
WOE: EFGT & Wheat Free
Start Date: 9/1/11
I had a busy weekend and the board just exploded in conversation while I was away, thatís so great!

Welcome to all the new posters! The more the merrier

I love making the fat bombs, they often wind up being my dinner when I donít feel like cooking. I make mine with all coconut oil and no butter and I use peanut butter instead of almond butter. But Iím a PB and chocolate fiend. Although Iím super lazy when I make them, I just pour the whole batch into one of the disposable aluminum pans and stick it in the fridge. When it gets hard I just smack it a few times on the counter to break it into pieces, itís not the most accurate measurements but I can only eat 2 or 3 pieces before I start getting the too much fat feeling in my tummy.
Old 09-10-2012, 06:25 AM   #155
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: BlueTopaz
Stats: 160/156/140
WOE: whatever works
Start Date: 10 years ago - Height 5' 7"
Hi Sandy - Nice to meet you! I noticed that you're the same height as me and you have lost a lot of weight. Congrats! Are you strickly EFGT? May I ask what percentages of Prot, fat, carbs you go by? I'm going to wing this with 64g protein, 20 net carbs to start out with.

I'm a long time Atkins girl that hasn't been getting results. I did read Barry Groves book this weekend and ready to tweak. I understand this is really Nutritional Ketosis woe we're doing in theory.

You all should experience Pennsylvania winters - you would probably change your minds

Last edited by BlueTopaz; 09-10-2012 at 07:11 AM..
Old 09-10-2012, 06:29 AM   #156
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: JMCM1
WOE: EFGT wheat free (grain free)
Start Date: June 2012
Jess - you have really had great, steady weight loss even though you are busy.
Congratulations to you!
Old 09-10-2012, 06:42 AM   #157
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Seabeadz
Stats: 189/178/125
WOE: EFGT
Start Date: Sept 2012
Way to go, Port!

Jess, your loss is so consistent and awesome. Any hints to share?

Deb
Old 09-10-2012, 06:50 AM   #158
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Everything I ate yesterday was on plan.
In fact every thing I eat every day is on plan.
If I ever overeat - it's protein and those days have been so rare and do not seem to have consequences.

Where I have often failed is eating enough calories.

The last two days I've been actually hungry, so I've eaten toward the top of my calories - this is rare for me.

So yesterday I checked my blood ketones and they were 3.3!
And yesterday I weighed and measured everything as usual, but by dinner was quite deficient in calories and protein. My plate was very full of leftover smoked pork shoulder (thank you dh!), roasted broccoli with a Tbsp. of butter on it, some cole slaw I'd made earlier (2 lbs. chopped cabbage, 1/2 cup full fat mayo, 1/2 cup full fat sour cream, 5 tbsp. rice vinegar
big squirt of Dijonnaise, s&p) and half an avocado with my homemade walnut oil & balsamic vinegar dressing.

I was able to eat all of it and was surprised. But like Buffy, I am conditioned to feel ashamed for eating so much and with so much fat.

I didn't want to weigh this morning, but Buffy actually inspired me to weigh anyway - I'm down .5 pound.

This is just fascinating. (well, for me at least )
Old 09-10-2012, 07:05 AM   #159

Gallery: sjl330
Stats: 184/141/140 5'7"
WOE: EFGT-Barry Groves
Start Date: January 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueTopaz View Post
Hi Sandy - Nice to meet you! I noticed that you're the same height as me and you have lost a lot of weight. Congrats! Are you strickly EFGT? May I ask what percentages of Prot, fat, carbs you go by? I'm going to wing this with 64g protein, 20 net carbs to start out with.

I'm a long time Atkins girl that hasn't been getting results. I did read Barry Groves book this weekend and ready to tweak. I understand this is really Nutritional Ketosis woe we're doing in theory.

You all should experiment Pennsylvania winters - you would probably change your minds
My weight loss journey looks like a curvy mountain back road! But for the last several years it's been low carb all the way and mostly EFGT low carb. I have been maintaining for a long time now so I don't really track my food very often. When I was in "losing mode" I kept my percentages at what Barry recommends and lost great. I never check for ketosis b/c I RARELY ever got a purple stick and that would discourage me. So I just ate to the %s and lost the weight. I also didn't really watch the calories, just the %s. I've been told, by the gals on this thread, that I have the metabolism of a 19 year old boy. I'm not sure that's right, but I am blessed to be able to lose well if I'm following the plan. And now if I put a couple of pounds on I can get it right back off by following the plan. I also didn't keep my carbs super low when I was tracking and following Barry's EFGT plan. When I started it, I decided to try to do it as he explained it and it worked for me. YMMV. The hardest part for me really is not overeating the protein. I LOVE meat!!!

When I say low carb all the way, I mean when I'm being good. I take many detours throughout the year, but I try to not let myself get so lost that the way back is hard to find. I'm 62 years old and it took me until I was at least 50 to finally figure that part out. Slow learner I guess.

At the beach.... time you enjoyed wasting, is NOT time wasted. TS ELLIOT

Last edited by sjl330; 09-10-2012 at 07:07 AM..
Old 09-10-2012, 08:10 AM   #160
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hey Blue,
As Rebecca Latham said on the NK thread:

"With Nutritional Ketosis, the ratios do not matter. You are supposed to eat a static amount of carbs and protein and enough fat to satiate."
Old 09-10-2012, 08:26 AM   #161
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMCM1 View Post
Where I have often failed is eating enough calories.

The last two days I've been actually hungry, so I've eaten toward the top of my calories - this is rare for me.

So yesterday I checked my blood ketones and they were 3.3!
And yesterday I weighed and measured everything as usual, but by dinner was quite deficient in calories and protein. My plate was very full of leftover smoked pork shoulder (thank you dh!), roasted broccoli with a Tbsp. of butter on it, some cole slaw I'd made earlier (2 lbs. chopped cabbage, 1/2 cup full fat mayo, 1/2 cup full fat sour cream, 5 tbsp. rice vinegar
big squirt of Dijonnaise, s&p) and half an avocado with my homemade walnut oil & balsamic vinegar dressing.

I was able to eat all of it and was surprised. But like Buffy, I am conditioned to feel ashamed for eating so much and with so much fat.

I didn't want to weigh this morning, but Buffy actually inspired me to weigh anyway - I'm down .5 pound.

This is just fascinating. (well, for me at least )
Judy, VERY happy for you! I do think it seems to be important to eat enough calories on this plan but like you, I tend to get a little freaked out by it, not ashamed, but scared that if I don't go low calorie I won't lose. And, as far as fat is concerned, I have been convinced to not go too low on fat every since I got fat eating low and non fat. I have trouble convincing my kids to not give the grandkids low fat items, just buy the full fat and they will regulate how much they need. AND real fats, not margarine, or as I call it, plastic butter.

Why don't you try this week to eat towards the upper end of your calories and see what happens? I have upped mine a little towards the end of this past week as I was feeling a little deprived by trying to stay to close to 1200. Much more satisfied at 1350-1550 or so.
Old 09-10-2012, 08:28 AM   #162
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thanks Judy: I was thinking it was very important and that's why the creation of her Excel spreadsheet. I want to see my historical ****** figs to see how my protein to fat has been.
Old 09-10-2012, 08:49 AM   #163
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Buffy I barely notice my calories. I really am intending to eat toward my protein and I just simply eat very few carbs - they are only in the form of vegetables and very little fruit. But I am so NOT hungry that I most frequently go too low on everything.

I think that's a good idea. If I am eating intentionally, I should intentionally eat enough food. Just takes time and effort! Things I'm short on!

Blue, you'll get it. You're at the beginning and trying to plan and I understand that. Let me know if I can help. I'll try to notice in between all my eating. HA HA!
Old 09-10-2012, 10:01 AM   #164

Gallery: CarolynF
Stats: 195/141/139
WOE: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Start Date: January 2001
Good morning everyone..

Sounds like everyone is geared up for a good week..

Jess: 30 pounds lost since May is wonderfulll..You are doing so great!

Port: Congratulations on your weight loss, too..

Did my Slow Burn this morning at the gym..I love it when I get shaky cuz I know my
puny little muscles are growing bigger..I need to listen to Jimmy's podcast with Fred he did last week..Honestly, I noticed when we were at the game on Saturday, I felt more
balanced than last year..I could walk down the scary stairs without feeling I was going to pitch forward.

I need to keep track of my protein better..You gals are a great model to me..I know my LBW is 95 pounds so I probably should be at 65-75 grams..

Old 09-10-2012, 10:02 AM   #165
Big Yapper!!!!

Judy, the only time I forget to eat is when I am not on any woe plan, when I am, I have to be very careful b/c I obsess over it and food and think about what I am going to eat next all the time. Arrggghhh!
Old 09-10-2012, 10:04 AM   #166
Big Yapper!!!!

Carolyn, you are such our role model on exercise!!!
Old 09-10-2012, 10:20 AM   #167
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffy45 View Post
Carolyn, you are such our role model on exercise!!!
DITTO THAT!
Old 09-10-2012, 11:19 AM   #168
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueTopaz View Post
You all should experience Pennsylvania winters - you would probably change your minds
Another PA poster! Iím in Lancaster County which is south-central PA. Although I think Iím ready for a good cold and snowy winter after this past summer. With no snow last year the bugs are just terrible and Iím getting eaten alive when I go out. The Farmers Almanac is predicting some good snows this coming winter. But Iím sure my opinion will change come February when Iím sick of shoveling.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabeadz View Post
Jess, your loss is so consistent and awesome. Any hints to share?
Iím not so sure Iíve got a lot of hints. Honestly I think the reason my weight loss is so consistent right now is because of the wheat elimination, everything got better when I figured out that allergy. And Iím still very heavy at this point which makes a big difference. I expect to hit the struggle zone around 225-200 because thatís where Iíve hit it before. But Iím not sure with the elimination of the wheat it could be different this time around as it seems to be the big factor in how my body reacts to everything. I donít even feel like Iím trying that hard right now, I just keep to my calorie window of 1700-1900 a day with plenty of fat and the rest seems to work itself out. I eat pretty low on carbs but I know there are days where I overeat protein. Iím surprised myself by how consistent itís been going, Iíve see-sawed through lots and lots of pounds and itís never been this good before. So Iím not gonna rock the boat but I donít think that offers a lot of insight to others.
Old 09-10-2012, 11:26 AM   #169
Big Yapper!!!!

I know several of you take magnesium supplements, why and what kind, how much, etc?
Old 09-10-2012, 11:49 AM   #170
Big Yapper!!!!

Hey gals, I am going to pick up some protein powder to "bake" with, is the whey type the best and least yucky tasting, LOL. I can't do soy at all.
Old 09-10-2012, 11:54 AM   #171
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Shalbrihil
WOE: Just keeping foods healthy
Buffy, I use both whey and egg white. They both work well. The whey is vanilla flavored and egg white has no taste. Depends on what you are making as to which one you use. I buy Jay Robb's brand.
Old 09-10-2012, 12:00 PM   #172
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hi Buffy,

At work, just a quick pop in here....Magnesium Oxide - constipation - works great - take 1 before you go to bed, by morning, expect evacuation. Magnesium Citrate - good to relax muscles so you can sleep. I used both.

Jay Robb, I agree, is the best tasting, less chemical, low carb one I could find. I like Strawberry...reminds me of a kid when I drank Nestle's Strawberry Milk with a straw and blew bubbles
Old 09-10-2012, 01:02 PM   #173
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I have bought a couple of kinds of whey because I found recipes before I found this way of eating. I have since been worried about how much protein they contain. But obviously if you've planned for it, it would be fine. I have Jay Robb also.

I took magnesium for 30 years before starting to eat low carb. I took it because I'm a kidney stone former and once I started taking magnesium I was stone-free for 25 years. I say WAS ... different topic.

Anyhoozle, I stopped taking it when I started eating this way, but was too frequently awakened by cramps in my legs and feet. Carolyn suggested adding magnesium and potassium, so I did, because I personally believe every single thing Carolyn tells me.

I take 500 mg. at night and Blue is right - it is anti-constipational. I take potassium twice/day. I still have cramps but am trying to learn not to flex my leg/feet muscles when I wake up. It's harder to do that than to eat right!

I also read a few doctor's blogs who eat low carb and/or lchf and they find it difficult to keep enough magnesium and potassium in their patients' and their own diets.
Old 09-10-2012, 01:43 PM   #174
Senior LCF Member

The magnesium can help keep your bones healthier too. I take a combo Calcium/Vit D/Magnesium because my birth control can make it easier for bones to lose calcium.

I also take potassium twice a day but I take it because it helps with bruising. I'm one of those lucky people that bruise like a peach and the extra potassium makes me slightly more durable.
Old 09-10-2012, 02:09 PM   #175
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessBunny View Post
The magnesium can help keep your bones healthier too. I take a combo Calcium/Vit D/Magnesium because my birth control can make it easier for bones to lose calcium.

I also take potassium twice a day but I take it because it helps with bruising. I'm one of those lucky people that bruise like a peach and the extra potassium makes me slightly more durable.
Well that's interesting! I bruise easily too! (both literally and figuratively )
Maybe this will help me with that.
Old 09-10-2012, 02:31 PM   #176

Gallery: CarolynF
Stats: 195/141/139
WOE: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Start Date: January 2001
Hi ladies..

Judy: LOLL...Don't believe everything..However, cramps in the feet and constipation forced me to find a solution..quickly...LOL..

I do remember in the book Protein Power, the Eades suggested a potassium pill with every meal..

I made some of George Stella's scones..Easy recipe..I put blueberries in them..I'm sure they are high fat and you can always add butter when you eat them..The recipe is in the recipe bulletin board..George Stella's raspberry scones.
Old 09-10-2012, 03:00 PM   #177
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

For some reason I flunk searching every single time.

AH! Found it.

- - - -
George Stella's Raspberry Scones
Carolyn made these and they have no butter in them nor do they need it. Extremely wonderful...she did need a bit more almond flour because her batter was runny..

Ingredients
Serves 6
2 large eggs, beaten until frothy
1 cup almond flour (or enough to make a thickish batter)
1/3 cup bulk sugar substitute
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup fresh raspberries/blueberries

Directions
Preheat the oven to 375įF and line a sheet pan with parchment paper.
In a large bowl, combine all of the ingredients, except for the raspberries, and mix well to create a batter.
Gently fold the raspberries into the batter and use a tablespoon to drop 6 evenly spaced scones on the lined pan (about 2 heaping tablespoons for each scone).

Bake for about 15 minutes until scones begin to lightly brown. Let cool for 10 minutes before removing from the parchment paper and serving warm.

Nutrition Facts
125 calories
9.5 g fat
5.5 g protein
2.5 g fiber
3 g net carbs

Last edited by JMCM1; 09-10-2012 at 03:07 PM.. Reason: To add recipe
Old 09-10-2012, 03:09 PM   #178
Big Yapper!!!!

I finally made it to Hobby Lobby and got my Wilton, Silicone candy mold for my fat bombs. Mine is blue, but was the only one that holds 24 except for this really cute red one that had 24 little people, I was sooo tempted to get that one but the teeny part of me that has grown up, said NO! So, when I run out, I will make them in this. BTW, you don't have to spray or anything do you,I mean those things are all fat anyhoos!
Old 09-10-2012, 03:10 PM   #179
Big Yapper!!!!

Thanks for the magnesium tips, I got some 500mg while I was out. I also take potassium since my Dr. prescribed it and it helps, I was getting leg and foot cramps before I started back to LC, can you imagine if I hadn't been taking it, this week would have been one big cramp. I am not constipated so hope it doesn't work too well on that front, my metformin I take for the diabetes has taken care of that, but, I have also cut back on that since my BG readings are down so much.
Old 09-10-2012, 03:11 PM   #180
Big Yapper!!!!

Yes, our Carolyn is very very wise, and she retains things she hears and reads, so a wonderful source of information. WE are very lucky to have her here on our board!!
Closed Thread