Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Eat Fat, Get Thin
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-05-2012, 04:04 PM   #61
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: JMCM1
WOE: EFGT wheat free (grain free)
Start Date: June 2012
To any new people:

I am also lurking on the Nutritional Ketosis thread. It's very full of information for getting into and staying in nutritional ketosis. One of the "main" people on that thread (the original poster) is named Kristn. She has reached her goal and is continuing to post hoping to work her way through the maze of maintenance.

If anybody was wondering how, here is her post describing how to decide how many grams of protein to eat/day:

"LBM=Lean body mass (everything except for fat)

Rebecca has a great post on this thread about goal weight, lean body mass, and protein requirements.

If you know your goal weight and goal fat mass%, Phinney and Volek use this calculation:

To get goal lean body mass subtract fat (goal weight * BF %) from your goal weight.
Multiply goal lean body mass by .6 for the lower end of the range. The upper end of the range is 1*lean body mass.

Example:
My goal weight is 150 with 25% BF
.25*150=37.5
150-37.5=112.5
So 112.5 is my goal LBM
To figure out protein
112.5*.6=67.5
112.5*1=112.5
So my protein range is 67.5-112.5

Many of us have found that we need to start at the lower end (or slightly below) to get into NK. Once you're firmly in NK you can start tweaking the numbers while monitoring ketosis."

Sponsored Links
Old 09-05-2012, 04:05 PM   #62
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Buffy45
Stats: Type 2 Diabetic as of 6/1/08
WOE: Ketogenic
Start Date: Restart 7/1/2014
Hi everyone and welcome to our newcomers, please feel welcome to join in and chime in.

3rd day back to low carb, I have been working on my plan to come up with desired calories, protein and carb and have some values I am playing with this week. This was reinforced yesterday when I saw my new dr., the urologist I finally got in to see. He said that one of the reasons I may be getting recurring UTI's is too high of post meal readings of my blood glucose, which spills sugar into the urine where bacterial greedily runs to eat it up and grow, grow, grow. So, he highly recommended that I try this approach.

I am starting out with a plan of 20% protein, 75% fats and 5% carbs, with a calorie range of 1200 to 1400. Will see what a week of that brings, then adjust if necessary.
Old 09-05-2012, 04:08 PM   #63
Big Yapper!!!!

Judy, my proper goal weight is also 150, so those are the figures I am going by. My first real goal would be say 175. Approximately how many calories are you figuring? I am very sedentary, er lazy is what I really am.
Old 09-05-2012, 05:06 PM   #64
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: CarolynF
Stats: 195/141/139
WOE: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Start Date: January 2001
Hi gals..

And Welcome to our new peeps..

Judy, thanks for that information....Then I listened to another JM program on All Things Protein and the dr. said to eat 90 grams a day..as a minimum..Especially starting with
30 grams for breakie..Interesting..90 is very doable for us as it is only 360 calories..
But, it is good to start small and see what happens..

Akk..busy day..exercise/reading/getting more paint and new shoes and a few other pieces for my trip..(Christopher and Banks)..
Old 09-05-2012, 05:43 PM   #65

Gallery: sjl330
Stats: 184/141/140 5'7"
WOE: EFGT-Barry Groves
Start Date: January 2003
Welcome to all the newbies! I've been lurking over at the NK thread too. I find it all very interesting and informative. I'm thrilled that FINALLY the mainstream seems to be accepting this WOE more and more.
Old 09-05-2012, 06:02 PM   #66
Princess Proofreader

Gallery: TuscanGirl
Stats: Sad/Happy/Wow 5'
WOE: Something like GL and LC and . . . .
Start Date: July 2003
My first day back at RIP class - I'm going to be so sore tomorrow!
But it was fun and I'm looking forward to Friday.

Lunch out with my friend - they leave tomorrow for Chicago and then back home to CA on Friday. I miss her already!

Jess - You would think that heritage wheat would be OK. That would be an interesting experiment!

Sandy - Thanks!!!

Deb - I agree about Vegan. And people can gain weight because of all the carbs they eat! The doc tested my non-fasting glucose level when I was getting my cholesterol checked and it was 102 - which she said was really good after eating (I have no clue, I don't check that), but I'm sure it's because when I do eat, it's not wheat/gluten etc.

Portcop - wine is my vice . . . . and Maker's Mark!

Buffy - sounds like a plan!

Carolyn - did you buy new clothes?
Talbot's has really cute cords in fun colors!
So excited today when I bought them and they were a 4P!! Yay!

Circles of fashion are more like spirals, covering the same area but never arriving in the same place twice!

°°◊°°

Last edited by TuscanGirl; 09-05-2012 at 06:14 PM..
Old 09-05-2012, 06:40 PM   #67
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Buffy I will say this. I am not going for 25% body fat.
There was some chart I posted on the NK thread - taken from Rebecca Latham's blog. The chart was from the ADA & some other government agency (the fine folks who keep telling us to eat cereal for breakfast!) but I liked what it said so I figure even a broken clock is right twice a day.

That chart said that the older we get, the more acceptable it is to have a higher percentage of body fat.

The Kristn in the example I posted earlier is only 49 and I get the impression she works out and exercises a lot. I don't.

I guess what I'm saying is, your fat could be lower and still be OK since you're not exercising it off. IE: More salads (w/ full fat dressings of course!) more vegetables and a few acceptable fruits. Plenty of fat wherever you want it (I really enjoy it in the morning. I add cream to my Hood chocolate milk and butter and coconut oil to anything else). And try to measure your protein, but after what Carolyn said, it's probably possible to be in NK with higher protein.

Honestly I think the key might be upping the fat.

Best "diet" I've ever been on in my life.
Old 09-05-2012, 08:32 PM   #68

LOL..At one time in my life I was 25 percent bfat..I weighed 125.. Yes, I do think we can have a bit more padding when we age..So, if we fall, we have a bit of cushion.

Oh...tomorrow night Jimmy is doing a podcast with Fred Hahn...

MK: RIP sounds really intense..Be careful..Yes, I bought 2 sweaters and a shirt..Then came home and found a 50 percent off coupon that I neglected to look at..Oh well..
Old 09-05-2012, 08:52 PM   #69
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

This is the chart I referenced where body fat is adjusted for age.

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 09-06-2012, 09:30 AM   #70
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JessBunny
Stats: 370/288/150
WOE: EFGT & Wheat Free
Start Date: 9/1/11
Judy, thanks for the chart! I was actually just thinking about what my bodyfat percentage should be for my age/height. My first goal was just to get below 300 and since this morning I'm at 301 I'm getting ready meet my first goal and enter the 200's. My bodyfat percentage right now is a rather depressing 54%, so I was trying to decide what I want it to be eventually. It's good to know that 30% would be fine for my age.
Old 09-06-2012, 10:02 AM   #71
Big Yapper!!!!

Morning!
Thanks Judy, I agree that we can have and probably need a higher percentage of BF as we get older, my main goal these days is health. So, at 66, if I shoot for a BF of 35%, my LBM would be 98 lbs and using the other chart to get protein needs, I think it figures out that mine would be a range of 58-98. Does that sound right to you? And, as a lazy, er I mean sedentary person, would a calorie range of 1200-1400 sound ok to start with? I need to go find a chart that lists calorie needs for my weight. I would love to have a place to go that would just figure this all out for me and tell me to eat x number of calories, x amount of fat, protein and carbs but I think we are on the right track here. I have been reading the NK thread too and some stuff on it on the web. Makes a lot of sense.

My head cold is about the same. Still taking otc meds for it and hope to avoid the Dr. but the minute I feel it in my chest or back I will have to get in there.

Have a facial tomorrow, ahhhhh, love to be pampered!

Carolyn, found the podcasts, thanks for the help.

MK, bet you look adorable in those little 4P cords and your new Tom shoes.

Sandy, I am thrilled to about LC finally being accepted. Doctors are definitely on board with it.

Jess, BIG congrats on getting so close to 299, you are almost there, keep it coming down.

Hello again to our newcomers, please chime in and tell us more about yourselfs so we can get to know you. Always welcome.
Old 09-06-2012, 10:29 AM   #72
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Jess congratulations!!!

And Buffy, yes, grams of protein in that range should be right.
I know it's nicer to not have to count or to say, "eat this" but I think a few weeks of eating this way will make it all easier. It's far easier for me now than it was in June.

Sandy, I think this way of eating is exploding - at least all over the internet. Most doctors I know don't have the time to see what is happening on the internet, but eventually this will creep their way.

Mary Kay the only reason I've ever worn a petite size is because most cats have longer torsos than me.
Old 09-06-2012, 11:35 AM   #73

Hi..

Thanks for that chart..It is a keeper..Gosh, it is hard to figure out our bodyfat accurately..There is a mechanism somewhere that does it..I'm sure only fancy doctors have it. I guess we could do measurements and see..

Yes, I am ever hopeful that America will "figure it out"..I'm thankful for our doctor in our town that has a LC Weight Loss Clinic..So, it's a miracle and peeps are losing weight like crazy. My friend is on induction..I need to call her and chat a bit.
Old 09-06-2012, 01:28 PM   #74
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Seabeadz
Stats: 189/178/125
WOE: EFGT
Start Date: Sept 2012
I'm so glad you aren't all into intense amounts of exercise. I'm making myself love my elliptical and rubber bands for resistance work.

My young adult daughter has been struggling with massive mood swings and blood sugar fluctuations, so I've got her started on this path as well. She's a bit resistant to giving up her juice, cereal and yogurt breakfasts, but even just after two days, it's helping and she feels better. I don't get why it isn't more popular.

Where is that NK thread you're talking about? I looked, but no luck finding it.
Old 09-06-2012, 02:20 PM   #75
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hi Seabeadz it's here. Pull up a chair - it's quite lengthy.

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...ge-anyone.html
Old 09-06-2012, 02:47 PM   #76

Sea: Yeah for your daughter..The "plan" isn't more popular because carbs/sugars are very addictive and people can't imagine living without them. Plus, the world revolves around
carbs..So, to do a LC plan, you have to be very intentional when you shop and when you order out at a restaurant..It's like going against the flow..
Old 09-06-2012, 03:44 PM   #77
Princess Proofreader

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolynF View Post

MK: RIP sounds really intense..Be careful..Yes, I bought 2 sweaters and a shirt..Then came home and found a 50 percent off coupon that I neglected to look at..Oh well..

That means you get to go back!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffy45 View Post

MK, bet you look adorable in those little 4P cords and your new Tom shoes.
Aren't you sweet!!! My cords came in the mail today - from last week's trip, not yesterday's . . . but it's too hot to try them on! It's 90 and sticky!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMCM1 View Post
J
Mary Kay the only reason I've ever worn a petite size is because most cats have longer torsos than me.

How tall are you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolynF View Post
Sea: Yeah for your daughter..The "plan" isn't more popular because carbs/sugars are very addictive and people can't imagine living without them. Plus, the world revolves around
carbs..So, to do a LC plan, you have to be very intentional when you shop and when you order out at a restaurant..It's like going against the flow..

Seab - Yep, what she said!! Krispy Kremes are amazing!

Anyone else having trouble with the coconut oil giving them loose stools?
Old 09-06-2012, 04:12 PM   #78
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuscanGirl View Post
That means you get to go back!!

How tall are you?

Almost 5'4", so 5'3-1/2" on a short day.

Quote:

Yes - I am inconsistent with coconut oil - I've overdone here and there and regretted it.

The only thing I for sure don't have problem with (building up over the last couple of months) is having two teaspoonsful in the morning. That is just about my breakfast with coffee on the side. It makes me not hungry.
Old 09-06-2012, 04:18 PM   #79
Princess Proofreader

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMCM1 View Post
Almost 5'4", so 5'3-1/2" on a short day.

Yes - I am inconsistent with coconut oil - I've overdone here and there and regretted it.

The only thing I for sure don't have problem with (building up over the last couple of months) is having two teaspoonsful in the morning. That is just about my breakfast with coffee on the side. It makes me not hungry.
You're SO much taller than I am!
Enjoy being tall!!

I used a couple of teaspoons with my eggs this morning - mistake!
Do you have to build up to it?

Maybe I'll just rub it on my hands!
Old 09-06-2012, 04:27 PM   #80
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Mary Kay you are so tiny you should probably stop at 1 teaspoon!

Honestly I am not sure whether I've "built up" to my servings or not.
I only know I am mightily afraid to eat too much, but am not disciplined enough to know what "too much" is!

If you rub it on your hands you will instantly make friends with dogs and cats and other hungry creatures.
Old 09-06-2012, 08:45 PM   #81

Oh..yes, too much coconut oil at once is not a good thing..

Building up to it is important..One tsp..Although I have to have the cold expeller pressed coconut oil with no flavor..I'm not crazy about coconut..but the unflavored is fine.
Old 09-06-2012, 09:39 PM   #82
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: DebbyL
Stats: 168/134/128
WOE: Carb Nite to tweak~
Start Date: WtLoss->Sept11-Oct12->Maint.& Tweaking
Quote:
You're SO much taller than I am!
Enjoy being tall!!

I used a couple of teaspoons with my eggs this morning - mistake!
Do you have to build up to it?

Maybe I'll just rub it on my hands!
Hi Mary,
I read that you use 1 TBS for every 50 lbs. of wt. I decided to keep it to that, for my GOAL wt. But I only use 2 TBS a day. I had to build up to it slowly at first. I was not used to having any fat at all in my diet, so it was hard for me to take.
I mix it in with my oats & nuts in the morning. (1 TBS); and then in the afternoon I have the other one, mixed in my oat-bran & nuts... both with coconut milk for moisture. I love it now! But I could never eat it by itself, or put it in my coffee. I used to mix a TBS of it in my protein powder & add water & nuts, oats, or oat-bran. It was like cookie dough to me! But I'm unable to eat my protein powder anymore.
It does make your stools loose if you add it too quickly, or have too much.
Coconut Oil is very good for those with Thyroid issues, and I have felt a tremendous difference in my energy since I started eating it.

Old 09-07-2012, 09:44 AM   #83
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Ketone meter reading: 1.3 today. Woot!
Weight loss in the past week-and-a-half Zip.

Don't care.
Will continue on track.
Just glad to not be hungry.
Old 09-07-2012, 12:10 PM   #84
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Seabeadz
Stats: 189/178/125
WOE: EFGT
Start Date: Sept 2012
That coconut oil info explains some things for me. Ooops, lol.

Thanks for the link, JMCM1. That may be too involved for now.

CarolynF and Tuscan Girl...true, true. I loves me some bakery items in all forms too and having to think about what to eat rather than just grab something carby is a learning curve. I love eyesight, heart health and walking comfortably more though.

Deb
Old 09-07-2012, 12:50 PM   #85

Hi ladies..

Debby: Coconut oil is an energy booster for sure..A very nice way to eat it is in the form of candy..LOL...But it is very easy to overeat.

Heading to Topeka/Manhattan for the KSU Miami game tomorrow. Ds is bringing one of his guy friends who went to KSU..Should be fun..

Was 151 today..and have been holding steady..Will I ever see the 49ers????
Old 09-07-2012, 01:27 PM   #86

I just made a batch of the Fat Bombs. DH loves them! I had a coupon for Michael's so I got a great price on the mold. The recipe makes 24 good sized pieces!

Have fun at the game Carolyn. Sounds like a fun time.
Old 09-07-2012, 01:54 PM   #87
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Sandy which recipe did you use??
I bought one candy mold at Michael's but I think I got a size that was too small.
Old 09-07-2012, 02:56 PM   #88

I used Rebecca's recipe and I did the same thing. Bought the wrong one the first time. It was pretty cheap though so no biggie. I thought this one would be too big but her recipe fills every cup perfectly! It's exactly the same one in her picture of the fat bombs.
Old 09-07-2012, 06:44 PM   #89
Big Yapper!!!!

I am jealous of your new candy mold . I need to drive over and get one, I love the fat bombs but I just poured the mix into a container and froze, very hard to cut consistent sized pieces. Oh, I also didn't add the almond butter since I didn't have any.
Old 09-07-2012, 08:37 PM   #90
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Sandy & Buffy - thank you!
Closed Thread