Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Eat Fat, Get Thin
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-26-2012, 12:49 PM   #541
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: portcop01
Stats: 197-148-130
WOE: Lc
Start Date: July 15
Carolyn I could not get the pop up

Sponsored Links
Old 09-26-2012, 01:58 PM   #542
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: JMCM1
WOE: EFGT wheat free (grain free)
Start Date: June 2012
Port it's one of the "buttons" or icons - it's on the left side of the page, second from the top.

I downloaded that podcast Carolyn and have been looking forward to hearing it. I saw Jimmy's notes and they were huge!
Old 09-26-2012, 02:03 PM   #543
Major LCF Poster!

Tell me how to get there many 101 on there. Thanks
Old 09-26-2012, 02:26 PM   #544
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: DebbyL
Stats: 168/130/128
WOE: Maintenance
Start Date: WtLoss->Sept11-Oct12->Maint.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMCM1 View Post
I think there are some docs here who will be willing to pay attention to these things, but I need a starting place.

Should I ask for a saliva test to test adrenal function? Or Debby feel free to chime in if you are able.

Or since I'm just starting - which tests to get to start?
Thanks Judy, for the !
From what I read on stopthethyroidmaddness...most regular dr's only think the adrenals are bad if they are causing some extreme disease. So their test is set up for that. You can buy online tests for saliva, and there are also tests you can do (look on stopthe... site) which will give you the idea of whether your adrenals are low or not... I keep meaning to do the temperature one. Its supposed to be good at that. Then you'd do the saliva one. I go to a naturopath, so she does those things, but my Dr. does the normal thyroid tests.
Just got these back:
TSH 3.14 *** T3 1.4 *** T4 Free 15.4
Apparently some chiropractors do testing... but very expensive. Mine was very expensive too. If I re-do it, I think I'll order it online & save money. She'll still interpret & treat me from it.
Hope that helps! And I hope you get a great Dr! Feeling good is so worth it!
Old 09-26-2012, 02:30 PM   #545
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I paid $85 for my test online and will go to a lab tomorrow morning for TSH, FT3 & FT4. There are naturopaths here too.
I might be way off base in what I'm wondering - but at least the tests will confirm or deny.
Old 09-26-2012, 02:33 PM   #546
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
I paid $85 for my test online and will go to a lab tomorrow morning for TSH, FT3 & FT4. There are naturopaths here too.
I might be way off base in what I'm wondering - but at least the tests will confirm or deny.
Yes, its good to find out. (I paid $300 for the saliva test). What test did you get for $85 ?
Old 09-26-2012, 02:39 PM   #547
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

They'll give me TSH, Free T3 and Free T4.

The saliva test you pay for online is....I can't remember, but not nearly $300.

I chose health check usa from the stop the thyroid madness place.

Last edited by JMCM1; 09-26-2012 at 02:40 PM..
Old 09-26-2012, 03:14 PM   #548
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Buffy45
Stats: Type 2 Diabetic as of 6/1/08
WOE: LC/MP/HF
Start Date: Restart 7/1/2014
Finally got home, Dr. visit went very well and I got nothing but praise for my new WOE. BP better, weight was down but won't know on blood test results until next week. Dr. did say that they should be lots better after 3 more months!!!

Went to customer, to see the financial officer, the one who had totally ignored my repeated phone calls. Had not met him before and when we walked into the lobby he greeted us with how can I help you, I shook his hand, told him who I was and asked if we couldn't have a talk in his office. DH was with me too but I handle these types of things. First of all I chewed him out for not returning my phone calls, told him I really felt it was rude and not businesslike at all. He then told me that he had been out sick. Oh, how long I asked? He said 2 weeks. Hmmm, I told him I had been leaving messages for a month and even had another employee talk to him and was assured that that meeting took place. Ok, got that off my chest and then asked him what he was going to do about past due bill? This is a substantial amount of money my friends. We had set up a 3 month payment plan. Well, he told me he could issue a check today, and another, not to be cashed until Oct. 3rd. YES!!! Once he issued a check it covers lots of legal things, I won't go into that. Then we ran to the bank, deposited the first one and by Friday will hear it if clears. This isn't over yet but we made some progress.

Carolyn, thanks for that link, I figured up my calories and I do not like what it told me at all. To lose a lb a week I need to get my calories down to around 1100. Of course the smart thing to do would to start exercising and I may be forced to that extreme .

Got a lot of other things to catch up on, good luck everyone with their thyroid issues.

Last edited by Buffy45; 09-26-2012 at 03:15 PM..
Old 09-26-2012, 03:33 PM   #549
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: CarolynF
Stats: 195/141/139
WOE: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Start Date: January 2001
Hi ladies..

Good for you, Buffy..My brotherinlaw worked for a man once that "might" have been low on funds..He got his check, ran to the bank during lunch and got the cash..LOL..
Jenny really thinks that .5 a pound is a good weightloss, cuz we don't want to starve..
Her podcast is very interesting.

Debby: Hmmm..What was the range on your tests? That TSH looked a bit high..The perfect place is around 1..I couldn't tell what the other ones were because of no ranges..
Old 09-26-2012, 03:35 PM   #550

Quote:
Originally Posted by portcop01 View Post
Tell me how to get there many 101 on there. Thanks
I just typed in Blood Sugar 101 and it worked..Then go to Diet on the top
and then nutritional calculator..Hope it works..
Old 09-26-2012, 03:36 PM   #551
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Shalbrihil
WOE: Just keeping foods healthy
Buffy you rock!!
Old 09-26-2012, 03:38 PM   #552
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:

Great! Was that a single saliva test? or the one you take at different times of the day? I'm thinking of ordering the latter, as I need to know when to take the isocort more precisely.
Old 09-26-2012, 03:46 PM   #553
Major LCF Poster!

I got it thanks,,,boy my # was surprising....cals 1195---- fat---97 grams ---60 grams protein. Do you all think the cals sound good to you,,,I want have a problem with this I'm going to try it she says I will only lose 1 lb a week ?.yuk my goal is 2.2 or 2. What y'all think?
Old 09-26-2012, 03:48 PM   #554
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolynF View Post
Debby: Hmmm..What was the range on your tests? That TSH looked a bit high..The perfect place is around 1..I couldn't tell what the other ones were because of no ranges..
Thanks Carolyn, you know what the numbers mean? The Dr thinks they're all in normal range, but since I was feeling hypo symptoms last week, I raised my dose, which he says might take 8 weeks to show up on the test. He did encourage me to go by how I was feeling, since I'm so in-tuned to it.
I'd like a chart, or something to interpret this stuff... its probably in that book (stopthethyroidmadness) somewhere! But I'd appreciate your in-put.

TSH = 3.13 (0.40-5.50)............
T3 total = 1.4 (1.2-3.1).............
T4Free = 15.4 (9.0-22.0)...........

Buffy! Way to go! I sure hope the checks clear for you!

Last edited by DebbyL; 09-26-2012 at 03:51 PM..
Old 09-26-2012, 05:45 PM   #555
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolynF View Post
Hi ladies..

Good for you, Buffy..My brotherinlaw worked for a man once that "might" have been low on funds..He got his check, ran to the bank during lunch and got the cash..LOL..
Jenny really thinks that .5 a pound is a good weightloss, cuz we don't want to starve..
Her podcast is very interesting.

Since this was made out to our business I am pretty sure they wouldn't have cashed it.

Have done that with personal checks though.
Old 09-26-2012, 07:46 PM   #556
Always on, slightly off

Gallery: CindyCRNA
Stats: 152/132/121 Currently 120's lbs, 5'7" 52 years old
WOE: 35%/25%/45% (F,P,C 1850 calories/day)
Start Date: Raising carbs 1/10
Quote:

I use them.
Old 09-26-2012, 07:53 PM   #557
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbyL View Post
Great! Was that a single saliva test? or the one you take at different times of the day? I'm thinking of ordering the latter, as I need to know when to take the isocort more precisely.
I'm sorry I wish I could remember, but once I decided I didn't need it (yet) I took it out of my brain to make room for other things...
LIKE A DELICIOUS CHOCOLATE CHEESECAKE IN A MINUTE!!!

BOOM:

Minute Microwave Cheesecake (Jamie, Your Lighter Side)

2 ounces cream cheese, softened
2 Tbsp sour cream
1 egg
½ tsp lemon juice
¼ tsp vanilla

2-4 Tbsp sugar replacement sub (taste as you go)

Mix all ingredients thoroughly in a microwave-safe bowl. Cook on high heat for 90 seconds, stirring every 30 seconds incorporating all ingredients.

Refrigerate until serving.
Optional: Top with fresh fruit, whipped cream and nut meal.
Makes one, one-cup serving.

Nutritional Information per serving: Calories: 299, Carbohydrates: 2.5 g, Fiber: 0 g, Net Carbohydrates: 2.5 g, Protein: 11 g, Fat: 27.6 g.

Judy’s notes: I zapped the cream cheese for 30 seconds, until soft, added the sour cream, then the cocoa powder and sweeteners (3 packets Truvia, 2 Tbsp +/- Vanilla DaVinci [omitted vanilla extract, omitted lemon juice], several drops liquid Stevia), tasted and then mixed in the egg. I put the mixture into 2 small ramekins and microwaved for 90 seconds or so. Stuck them in the freezer to cool and topped with whipped cream. REALLY good.
This would be too much for 1 person - better to split it in 2.

This was REALLY good - I have those small ramekins and it made 2. ONE WAS ENOUGH for sure but it was chocolate cheesecake my friends!!

Oh and something about thyroid tests.

Debby let me know if you want me to comb through the tests available and I'll see what I can find. I just want to either confirm or rule out my own thyroid stuff and otherwise I think I need to hie me to a doctor to see why my heartbeat is so rapid.

When I started taking coconut oil my hair stopped falling out. But my skin is VERY dry (new). I recently have trouble sleeping (new). My heart feels like it's beating out of my chest (not that new - kind of 2 years old). We'll see. Test is tomorrow at 9AM.

Buffy good for you for going over there and sorting it out, or starting to sort it out. It's hard to ignore someone standing in front of you!

And then, CHOCOLATE CHEESECAKE!!
Old 09-26-2012, 07:56 PM   #558
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Ah, thanks Cindy!

Separate topic - I would be absolutely totally fine with .5 pound/week. Of course I am close to my goal about 10-12 pounds. I have bounced around for 2 weeks with my current weight. Having said that, I'll remember what Buffy said about being able to eat this way, feeling satisfied and not gaining and losing a little. It's a good way to live.

Plus: CHOCOLATE CHEESECAKE!!!!
Old 09-26-2012, 08:02 PM   #559
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbyL View Post
Thanks Carolyn, you know what the numbers mean? The Dr thinks they're all in normal range, but since I was feeling hypo symptoms last week, I raised my dose, which he says might take 8 weeks to show up on the test. He did encourage me to go by how I was feeling, since I'm so in-tuned to it.
I'd like a chart, or something to interpret this stuff... its probably in that book (stopthethyroidmadness) somewhere! But I'd appreciate your in-put.

TSH = 3.13 (0.40-5.50)............
T3 total = 1.4 (1.2-3.1).............
T4Free = 15.4 (9.0-22.0)...........

Buffy! Way to go! I sure hope the checks clear for you!
Debby, this might be overkill, but google Rebecca Latham "my low carb road to better health". On the right-hand side of her blog, there are many links. Find thyroid or similar and there will be a couple of 10-minute videos where a naturopath discusses thyroid test values. I thought I might go back there and check my numbers when I get them, against what he said.

If my heart doesn't beat out of my chest first...!
Old 09-26-2012, 08:12 PM   #560

Debby: TSH probably should be a tad lower, T3 free is what I get tested and it should be in the upper third of the range, T4free should be in the mid range..Seems like your T4free is okay. What are you taking for meds???

Judy: Definitely going to try the minute cheesecake..Thanks..
Old 09-26-2012, 09:20 PM   #561
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thanks for the input! I won't be able to watch the videos online (too expensive MB-wise). I'll look it up in the book, or at the site. It's probably there.

I'm on Natural Thyroid... Canada's version of Armour. Doing quite well, but I did raise my dose shortly before the blood-work was taken. The symptoms have disappeared now, so I imagine the numbers are better this week. I will see the naturopath in a couple of weeks. She's good at interpreting the numbers also... Dr's just don't seem to "get it"... although I'm pretty happy with the one I'm seeing now.

We went to Vision night, at the church tonight... very inspiring, great fellowship.
Old 09-27-2012, 07:07 AM   #562
Big Yapper!!!!

Morning!
Woke up, stretched my legs and then bolted out of bed with a leg cramp! I made sure they are testing my potassium level when they do my blood test, although I am already on a prescription potassium, I have had some cramps since starting back on LC.

OK, JUDY, OMCC, OMG, must you? They sound really good and I will probably mix a recipe up today. Love cheesecake. Really all good things, fat and protein so will fit into my day nicely.

Listened to the podcast you mentioned last night Carolyn. I think true and good info in it although it was a little depressing where she says that some people just plain can't lose weight, but, she is also right, if your health improves then that is the most important thing. Also didn't like hearing about how much age and being a woman makes it so much harder to lose but I also know that is true. She really does just say it like it is, which is refreshing.

Last day before my weekend trip, going to get manicure at noon, maybe a couple of errands, office work and pack. Then off for a fun weekend.
Old 09-27-2012, 08:16 AM   #563
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Buffy LOL!!
It is totally worth it - especially if you make it into 2 servings.
I will not be enjoying my second serving today as my dh enjoyed that late last night.

You are welcome, dh.
You are welcome.

My theory (which may have been visited many times on these boards, but I've only really stalked the recipe areas and you all ) is that if I was not eating low carb, I would not have made dessert every day or every week anyway. But maybe I'd get a piece of pie in a restaurant. Maybe I'd indulge in someone's cake at a party.
I don't do that now.

It's still time and effort out of my day to make individual chocolate cheesecakes, so even though I REALLY enjoyed it, I'm not a slave to 'having' to have it. It's a pleasure, but I have a choice.

If I have to make my own 'bread' and my own desserts, that's a good way to limit those treats naturally. If I'd had to make those things before low carb, they would have been limited naturally.

Where's Mary Kay?
Old 09-27-2012, 11:09 AM   #564

Hi ladies..

Still at 153.. So dropped some cruise weight already.

Yeah for you, Buffy...I think Jenny "tells" the truth. Some people can't lose and it might be because of intense metabolic issues that they have had for years..But, none of us is one of them...

Debby: Yup..symptoms are important with hypothyroidism..I was taking the Natural
Thyroid from Canada, then just went to Natur-throid through my compounding pharmacy. I take 1 1/2 grams..I do it all at once cuz I'm lazy and sometimes forget
to take 1/2 in the a.m. and 1/2 in the p.m.

Judy: Made your cheesecake for breakfast..Yumm...and the muffins came out of the oven..

Old 09-27-2012, 11:09 AM   #565
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I don't know if this appeals to you all, but I eat them almost every single morning, slathered in butter and 1 Tablespoon of almond butter, and DaVinci pancake syrup.

Kristn on the nutritional ketosis thread posted this recipe. It was 1 serving to her, but it is 2 servings to me (and she is at goal and I am 10 pounds away from goal....hmmmm..)
I ran it through MasterCook then didn't believe the numbers, but they are really true.

Coconut Flour Pancakes (Kristn lcfriends) (Kristn's version did not include heavy cream or Truvia or yolks only)
1/4 cup coconut flour
2 whole eggs
2 egg yolks
1/4 heavy cream
1 tsp baking powder
2 pinches salt
2 packets Truvia if you like it
2 or 3 Tbsp. vanilla DaVinci syrup to thin batter

Mix it all together and fry in coconut oil, or however you like.
- - -
If the above recipe makes 4 servings, then 1 serving =
149 calories, 12g fat, 3g carb, 5.531g protein

This fits in so well with our way of eating and is such a nice pancake.

Last edited by JMCM1; 09-27-2012 at 11:12 AM..
Old 09-27-2012, 11:49 AM   #566

Judy, those muffins were great. I had 2 for lunch and then put the rest in the freezer.
I did use some pecan meal mixed with the almond flour and my Acorn Squash worked out just fine..

Those pancakes look great.
Old 09-27-2012, 11:57 AM   #567
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Shalbrihil
WOE: Just keeping foods healthy
I love the pumpkin muffins! I was able to refrain and had 1 a day until they were gone. Dh enjoyed them too and is requesting them now,

Judy I'm going to have to try the pancake recipe. I have been off eggs for a bit. Those protein rolls that I have been making I've been using with leftover meat to make a nice breakfast sandwich. I spread avocado on it for the oil and it's been really satisfying.
Old 09-27-2012, 12:47 PM   #568
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Wonderful, Sharon & Carolyn!
So glad you all liked them too - my sister and I were talking and being a little self-righteous about our new way of eating and snidely remarked how "difficult" and "strict" this way of eating is!
Then laughed.
Because: Pumpkin muffins!!
Old 09-27-2012, 01:56 PM   #569
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
I'm sorry I wish I could remember, but once I decided I didn't need it (yet) I took it out of my brain to make room for other things...
LIKE A DELICIOUS CHOCOLATE CHEESECAKE IN A MINUTE!!!

BOOM:

Minute Microwave Cheesecake (Jamie, Your Lighter Side)

2 ounces cream cheese, softened
2 Tbsp sour cream
1 egg
½ tsp lemon juice
¼ tsp vanilla

2-4 Tbsp sugar replacement sub (taste as you go)

Mix all ingredients thoroughly in a microwave-safe bowl. Cook on high heat for 90 seconds, stirring every 30 seconds incorporating all ingredients.

Refrigerate until serving.
Optional: Top with fresh fruit, whipped cream and nut meal.
Makes one, one-cup serving.

Nutritional Information per serving: Calories: 299, Carbohydrates: 2.5 g, Fiber: 0 g, Net Carbohydrates: 2.5 g, Protein: 11 g, Fat: 27.6 g.

Judy’s notes: I zapped the cream cheese for 30 seconds, until soft, added the sour cream, then the cocoa powder and sweeteners (3 packets Truvia, 2 Tbsp +/- Vanilla DaVinci [omitted vanilla extract, omitted lemon juice], several drops liquid Stevia), tasted and then mixed in the egg. I put the mixture into 2 small ramekins and microwaved for 90 seconds or so. Stuck them in the freezer to cool and topped with whipped cream. REALLY good.
This would be too much for 1 person - better to split it in 2.

This was REALLY good - I have those small ramekins and it made 2. ONE WAS ENOUGH for sure but it was chocolate cheesecake my friends!!

Oh and something about thyroid tests.

Debby let me know if you want me to comb through the tests available and I'll see what I can find. I just want to either confirm or rule out my own thyroid stuff and otherwise I think I need to hie me to a doctor to see why my heartbeat is so rapid.

When I started taking coconut oil my hair stopped falling out. But my skin is VERY dry (new). I recently have trouble sleeping (new). My heart feels like it's beating out of my chest (not that new - kind of 2 years old). We'll see. Test is tomorrow at 9AM.

Buffy good for you for going over there and sorting it out, or starting to sort it out. It's hard to ignore someone standing in front of you!

And then, CHOCOLATE CHEESECAKE!!
Judy, is the nutritional info good for the whole batch or just half, like you ended up eating. I am thinking this won't be too much for this one person
Old 09-27-2012, 02:15 PM   #570
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

No - those nutritionals were from Jamie - the creator of this recipe.
If you do it my way and add 2T cocoa, well here's what I measured:
2oz cream cheese, 2T sour cream, 2T cocoa powder, 1 large egg:
424 calories
31.54 g fat
13.58g protein <--that's a lot for one dessert for me
6.06 g net carbs
Closed Thread