Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Eat Fat, Get Thin
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-19-2012, 11:25 PM   #451
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Shalbrihil
WOE: Just keeping foods healthy
Start Date: June 2012
No fair being under the weather Sandy! Get well wishes.

Thanks Judy, Today I whipped some cream up and dobbed it in small amounts on parchment then put in the freezer. Now I can just go and get one for my coffee each morning. I'm always worrying about it going bad. This way I won't be wasting it.

It's time for bed bbt..

Sponsored Links
Old 09-20-2012, 07:16 AM   #452
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: sjl330
Stats: 184/141/140 5'7"
WOE: EFGT-Barry Groves
Start Date: January 2003
I think I do feel a little better this morning. I'm going to go to Bible study and hope I make it through. I hardly ate anything yesterday and am up 1.8 pounds this a.m.!!! I think it's from meds. I hope it's from meds.
I'm going to drink water like crazy today to try to flush my system.

Have a great day!
Old 09-20-2012, 08:02 AM   #453
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Buffy45
Stats: Type 2 Diabetic as of 6/1/08
WOE: Ketogenic
Start Date: Restart 7/1/2014
Day 18 of back to LC and my new version of it. Couldn't be happier. I feel sooooo much better!

2 DD's and little Bobby and Ava are coming to visit tonight, so will be a fun, busy evening!
Old 09-20-2012, 08:03 AM   #454
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjl330 View Post
I think I do feel a little better this morning. I'm going to go to Bible study and hope I make it through. I hardly ate anything yesterday and am up 1.8 pounds this a.m.!!! I think it's from meds. I hope it's from meds.
I'm going to drink water like crazy today to try to flush my system.

Have a great day!
Oh, the meds, they do really mess with our systems, even as they help us get over things.

Glad you are feeling a little better, lots of liquids, lots of rest, you know the drill
Old 09-20-2012, 08:06 AM   #455
Big Yapper!!!!

Oh, I ordered Swerve last night. I am going to have a cupboard full of various sweetners to that I can mix and experiment to get what I feel is best and or follow some of the recipes here. I had thrown out a lot of LC baking products when I quit following LC, now wishing I hadn't although they would have been old by now.
Old 09-20-2012, 08:29 AM   #456
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: JMCM1
WOE: EFGT wheat free (grain free)
Buffy I saw you posted on the NK thread about having to buy lots of things for this WOE.
YES! My dd's old room has all kinds of artificial sweeteners and so many kinds of different foods. And the refrigerator in our garage is full of cream cheese from Sam's and eggs and meat waiting to be cooked, etc. etc. etc.

THEN I think you'll find later that a little goes a long way. That's what I've found. I still cook for my dh and myself, but I'm not eating that much protein, so salad things and zucchini are in bigger demand. And I make my own salad dressings, so lemons and oils...

Sandy how are you today?
Hello to all!
Old 09-20-2012, 08:40 AM   #457
Big Yapper!!!!

Yes Judy, I am trying to be careful and not go overboard because with most of these things, you just need a little and that is once in awhile. But, it is frustrating to print out a recipe to try and you don't have all the ingredients.

I have a really small pantry which is in a weird place. Our 4th bedroom, off the kitchen, has been turned into our office. In it, there is one small, shallow closet with shelves. So, great for an office, but I also use it for my pantry since it is close to the kitchen and there isn't another pantry. I often wonder what it was intended for, closet or pantry? Most of the houses in our subdivision have pantrys, although from several different builders. There is a half bath across the hall with a hanging closet in it, which when the kids were home, one of my DD's used this room as her bedroom and the bathroom closet as her closet. ?????

Anyway, got off on a random wandering there, didn't I?

blah, blah, blah, blah blah..............
Old 09-20-2012, 08:42 AM   #458
Big Yapper!!!!

Judy, do you have a ranch that you love? Salad dressing that is

If you do have a ranch, the real estate kind, and would like to tell us about that as well, feel free
Old 09-20-2012, 08:43 AM   #459
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

No - I get it - storage is always a problem, right?

I sometimes watch the TV show "hoarders" or something like that.
It always makes me call Goodwill or the veterans org to please come get some of these things!!
Old 09-20-2012, 08:48 AM   #460
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JessBunny
Stats: 370/288/150
WOE: EFGT & Wheat Free
Start Date: 9/1/11
Glad you are feeling better Sandy! I wouldn't worry about the weight gain, all over the counter meds cause me to hold onto water too, cold meds, aspirins, etc. I'm sure it will come back off in a few days.

Buffy, I'm sure you'll like the swerve, it's really a great sugar substitute. It's the only sweetener that I can use by itself, in many applications it doesn't even need to be mixed with others. I just wish it didn't get so chunky after it sits for awhile, it breaks apart and works just fine but it would be easier to measure if it stayed in it granular form better. Thanks for the tip about the almond muffins, I thought they might be a little low in the flavor department. I was thinking of trying them but exchanging the butter for bacon fat and adding chopped bacon to the batter. I just wish it had an even number of eggs so it would be easier to try half the recipe, I hate wasting extra ingredients on food I wind up not liking much. And congrats on hopping back on the LC train!
Old 09-20-2012, 08:49 AM   #461
Big Yapper!!!!

Oh, Hoarders, I have this strange pull to watch that show, wow, disgusting isn't it??? I don't like clutter so try to keep things cleared out but I do find that as I get older, out of sight is truly out of mind and I keep more things out that I used to, just so I remember I have them and where they are. Getting old sure helps you understand old people better,
Old 09-20-2012, 09:03 AM   #462
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Funny you say that about ranch dressing! I just printed one yesterday that looked good to me. I am looking to get away from soy and it's in every commercial mayonnaise - at least on the shelves I've seen. So now I want to make my own mayonnaise but I'm a little unsure - not sure enough to just go ahead and do it.

Anyway, here is the one I printed yesterday if you want to use commercial mayonnaise from Jennifer Eloff:
RANCH DRESSING
An all-time favorite in our house just got better! Maria Emmerich uses cream cheese in her Ranch Dressing. On a whim I added about 1/2 cup spreadable cream cheese to the blender along with the other ingredients. The result - superb! Thanks, Maria. This is so good, I can eat it by itself using a spoon!! Hmmm.... hmmm, I won't make it any other way again. Even the thickness was delightful.

1 cup mayonnaise (250 mL)
3/4 cup buttermilk (175 mL)
1/2 cup sour cream (125 mL)
about 1/2 cup cream cheese
1 tbsp grated Parmesan cheese (15 mL)
2 tsp dried parsley (10 mL)
1/4 tsp garlic powder (1 mL)
1/4 tsp salt (1 mL)
1/4 tsp black pepper (1 mL)

In medium bowl, whisk together mayonnaise, buttermilk, sour cream, Parmesan cheese, parsley, garlic powder, salt and pepper.

Helpful Hint: Make your own buttermilk - place 1 tbsp (15 mL) lemon juice or white vinegar in measuring cup and fill with low-carb milk or cream or half-and-half, etc.

Yield: 21/3 cups (575 mL)
1 tbsp (15 mL) per serving
51.2 calories
0.4 g protein
5.3 g fat
0.5 g carbs

Here is Maria Emmerich's original recipe using cream cheese, which I think I might try. I've made ranch dressings without the little ranch dressing packet and it's not at all difficult to get that "ranch" taste - chives (I use freeze-dried because I am lazy), garlic powder, onion powder and parsley - whatever else seems to get us there.

From Maria Emmerich: I know my recipe sounds a little crazy, but it tastes awesome. The cream cheese makes it so thick. This added an amazing flavor without extra calories, 1 TBS of mayo is 100 calories, 1 TBS of cream cheese is 50 calories. Since cream cheese is so much thicker, you can add a flavorful broth to thin the dressing and you save a lot of calories.

RANCH Dressing - Maria Emmerich

1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese
1/2 cup chicken or beef broth
1/2 tsp dried chives
1/2 tsp dried parsley
1/2 tsp dried dill weed
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp onion powder
1/8 tsp Celtic salt
1/8 tsp ground black pepper

In a blender or a large bowl, mix together the cream cheese, broth, chives, parsley, dill, garlic powder, onion powder, salt and pepper. Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours before serving (it will thicken up as it rests). Makes 12 servings.

NUTRITIONAL COMPARISON (per serving)
Traditional Ranch = 153 calories, 1.1 carbs, 0 fiber
KRAFT Fat Free Ranch = 50 calories, 11 carbs, 0 fiber
"Healthified" Ranch = 66 calories, 0.75 carbs, 0 fiber
Old 09-20-2012, 09:07 AM   #463
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Jess, yes, the Swerve is turning into a go-to for us, too.
Old 09-20-2012, 09:26 PM   #464
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: DebbyL
Stats: 168/134/128
WOE: Carb Nite to tweak~
Start Date: WtLoss->Sept11-Oct12->Maint.& Tweaking
Hi girls,
Sounds like everyone's doing good!
Our church (where I work) had a septic line break last week, in the basement. I haven't smelled anything, but the fumes are making me sick every day. I think with a challenged immune system (adrenal fatigue), its what is messing me up, with head-aches & sore throat every day. So I've had to resort to allergy meds & Tylenol. Today the cleaning company came in to tear out the carpet & walls, so I will be free of that problem now.
Today I waited until later to do the wood-chucking... thinking my sore back needed a little mercy... so the two of us did another cord. In fact, my back feels better after working it. Funny. Must do crunches tonight!
I bought the book "stop the thyroid madness" & have been learning lots about the thyroid-adrenal connection. It also explains why I retain water & have stress over-reaction... Good thing is, it is telling me how to treat my adrenals when extra stress is there. I would have never figured that out.
Keep up the great work gals!

Old 09-20-2012, 09:31 PM   #465
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Wow Debby - that's a lot to work in when it's making you physically ill. Sorry.

I have seen several people mention "stop the thyroid madness." It must be good.

Hope tomorrow is better for you!
Old 09-20-2012, 10:11 PM   #466
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Yeah, thanks Judy,
I have the day off tomorrow. So, should be good!
Old 09-21-2012, 06:35 AM   #467
Big Yapper!!!!

Morning everyone!

Debby, are you working with a good endocrinologist on your thyroid and adrenal problems? I have read some on it and was thinking maybe that was what was making me feel so bad 4 years ago, I have been hypothyroid since my 20's and kept going to different doctors thinking they didn't have my meds right. Once they found my diabetes and started treating it, I started feeling better so was relieved, that for me, it was just thyroid and they were treating it right. Adrenal fatique is hard to figure out I am sure.

Well, girls, I broke the sound barrier, again! This morning I was 198.8, down 10 lbs since I came back to LC. I got down to 199 in May for about a day, then back on it came. I am very excited b/c I am loving this LC/MP/HF approach and feel like I can easily continue it. And, my diabetes is LOVING it. I feel soooo much better.

DH out of town on a job today, will be back tonight.

DD's came out last night and we had a fun time with 2 of the grandkids. They enjoyed my LC dinner I made for them, tilapia, green beans, Widget's biscuits and pumpkin CC muffins. Well, at least my DD doing the diet did, my other is more of a WW gal and she didn't think things were quite as good although she really enjoyed the fish and beans.
Old 09-21-2012, 07:42 AM   #468
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

This is exciting!

I am hoping to get myself together enough to "sell" this to my adult kids who do not have children yet, so the grand children could be healthier.

I can completely see the kids straying into occasional candy here and there - they're kids! But it would be more like when we were children - very infrequently, and a treat, and if you eat too much, "Oooh, oooh, you'll awake with a tummy ache! On the good, ship Lollipop..."

You all were singing with me, right?
Everyone!
OK, just the women!

Ah, where IS Carolyn???

Honestly I miss Carolyn so much because I just found a recipe I'd like to make tonight but it contains 1/4 cup flax meal. I hate flax meal. It's for a turkey salsbury steak recipe, evidently to use as a binder or filler.
Do any of you know whether I could sub almond flour? Or could suggest something else?
TIA!
Old 09-21-2012, 07:43 AM   #469
Senior LCF Member

Way to go Buffy!!! Onederland Woohoooo!
Old 09-21-2012, 07:44 AM   #470
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Oh Jess - you are so good.
Yes

HOORAAAAAAAAAY BUFFFFFFFYYYYYYY!!!!!!
Old 09-21-2012, 07:48 AM   #471
Senior LCF Member

Judy I would suggest subbing the flax meal with half almond flour and half oat flour. Or since it is just 1/4 cup all oat flour would most likely work better but has a few more carbs. If you have oat fiber you could mix a little of that stuff in, but it absorbs a lot of liquid so go easy with it. Almond flour doesn't always make a great binder since it's not very absorbent.
Old 09-21-2012, 08:06 AM   #472
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessBunny View Post
Judy I would suggest subbing the flax meal with half almond flour and half oat flour. Or since it is just 1/4 cup all oat flour would most likely work better but has a few more carbs. If you have oat fiber you could mix a little of that stuff in, but it absorbs a lot of liquid so go easy with it. Almond flour doesn't always make a great binder since it's not very absorbent.
AH! I actually have oat flour AND oat fiber!
I do know the fiber absorbs lots of liquid. Yes, I'll use a scant 1/4 cup. A little at a time to see how it goes.

Thank you so much!!

((*whisper*)) I hope I don't have to change my WOE over there. I'm a lying liar saying "grain free." Well, it's just one day.

Last edited by JMCM1; 09-21-2012 at 08:08 AM..
Old 09-21-2012, 08:14 AM   #473
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMCM1 View Post
This is exciting!

I am hoping to get myself together enough to "sell" this to my adult kids who do not have children yet, so the grand children could be healthier.

I can completely see the kids straying into occasional candy here and there - they're kids! But it would be more like when we were children - very infrequently, and a treat, and if you eat too much, "Oooh, oooh, you'll awake with a tummy ache! On the good, ship Lollipop..."

Everyone!
OK, just the women!

Ah, where IS Carolyn???

Honestly I miss Carolyn so much because I just found a recipe I'd like to make tonight but it contains 1/4 cup flax meal. I hate flax meal. It's for a turkey salsbury steak recipe, evidently to use as a binder or filler.
Do any of you know whether I could sub almond flour? Or could suggest something else?
TIA!
Hmm, I was actually singing along, how funny

Yes, as a child soda or pop as we called it in Iowa was an occasional treat as way ice cream and candy. It wasn't stuck in every nook and cranny of the house.
Old 09-21-2012, 08:15 AM   #474
Big Yapper!!!!

Oh, and my parent's best friends kept a wooden case of soda in their entryway room, I remember thinking, wow, they must be rich!
Old 09-21-2012, 08:22 AM   #475
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
AH! I actually have oat flour AND oat fiber!
I do know the fiber absorbs lots of liquid. Yes, I'll use a scant 1/4 cup. A little at a time to see how it goes.

Thank you so much!!

((*whisper*)) I hope I don't have to change my WOE over there. I'm a lying liar saying "grain free." Well, it's just one day.
The oat flour will get you better results then the fiber will but the fiber is carb free so you'll have to choose your balance there. If you are mixing the meat with this filler mixture make sure you mix as little as possible, the low carb flours will toughen up meat mixtures faster then regular wheat flours will for some reason. I've had some pretty dense meatloaf experiments. Spread the flour mixture over the meat and just barely mix to combine then form the loaf/patties.

Lol, don't worry I won't tell anyone you used a grain I use oat flour/fiber all the time in small amounts, it's very useful. I'm personally not opposed to grains in general it's just the no wheat for me.
Old 09-21-2012, 09:01 AM   #476
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffy45 View Post
Morning everyone!

Debby, are you working with a good endocrinologist on your thyroid and adrenal problems? I have read some on it and was thinking maybe that was what was making me feel so bad 4 years ago, I have been hypothyroid since my 20's and kept going to different doctors thinking they didn't have my meds right. Once they found my diabetes and started treating it, I started feeling better so was relieved, that for me, it was just thyroid and they were treating it right. Adrenal fatique is hard to figure out I am sure.

Well, girls, I broke the sound barrier, again! This morning I was 198.8, down 10 lbs since I came back to LC. I got down to 199 in May for about a day, then back on it came. I am very excited b/c I am loving this LC/MP/HF approach and feel like I can easily continue it. And, my diabetes is LOVING it. I feel soooo much better.
Congrats Buffy on Onederland
I'm seeing a Naturopath & a normal dr. The NP put me on natural adrenals right away. Then took a saliva test, which showed what part of my adrenals were needing help. Have you gone to the site stopthethyroidmadness? The lady that wrote the book I'm reading has become an advocate for educating Dr's on hypothyroidism. There is so much good info there... check it out. I'm reading the book now, and its packed full of "understandable" information that is so helpful. Not understanding this stuff is why so many people never feel good again. If the adrenals are low, they can't do anything with the meds the Dr. give you. And apparently most times the adrenals are in fatigue because they've been carrying the load for the thyroid.
I'm feeling a bit better today, slight head-ache, down another .5 lb of that water wt. .5 to go & hopefully new ground. I took my measurements & am down in size all over, so I've definitely lost wt... just need to get well to see it.
Have a great Friday!
Old 09-21-2012, 09:05 AM   #477
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: sjl330
Stats: 184/141/140 5'7"
WOE: EFGT-Barry Groves
Start Date: January 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffy45 View Post
Morning everyone!

DH out of town on a job today, will be back tonight.

DD's came out last night and we had a fun time with 2 of the grandkids. They enjoyed my LC dinner I made for them, tilapia, green beans, Widget's biscuits and pumpkin CC muffins. Well, at least my DD doing the diet did, my other is more of a WW gal and she didn't think things were quite as good although she really enjoyed the fish and beans.
How exciting Buffy!!!! You are doing so great. I think you've found the perfect plan for you!!

Quote:
This is exciting!

Everyone!
OK, just the women!

Ah, where IS Carolyn???

TIA!
I think you could try using egg whites too if it's just for a binder. I use eggs for a binder in my meatloaf and it works great. I've also added ground up pork rinds which have worked ok too.
Old 09-21-2012, 09:29 AM   #478
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbyL View Post
I'm seeing a Naturopath & a normal dr. The NP put me on natural adrenals right away. Then took a saliva test, which showed what part of my adrenals were needing help. Have you gone to the site stopthethyroidmadness? The lady that wrote the book I'm reading has become an advocate for educating Dr's on hypothyroidism. There is so much good info there... check it out. I'm reading the book now, and its packed full of "understandable" information that is so helpful. Not understanding this stuff is why so many people never feel good again. If the adrenals are low, they can't do anything with the meds the Dr. give you. And apparently most times the adrenals are in fatigue because they've been carrying the load for the thyroid.
I'm feeling a bit better today, slight head-ache, down another .5 lb of that water wt. .5 to go & hopefully new ground. I took my measurements & am down in size all over, so I've definitely lost wt... just need to get well to see it.
Have a great Friday!
My sister was hypothyroid, treated with synthroid, started eating this way (high fat, low carb, moderate protein) and I think had a little honeymoon period where she felt a lot more energy and felt well all the time.
She just had her blood work done last week and was removed from blood pressure medicine (yay!). She was 118 pounds, her goal. But her thyroid levels were much worse, so they've increased her thyroid meds. She admitted she had started to feel very tired, but unable to sleep well, etc., was losing hair, dry skin - you all know. She's lost now down to 116. When her thyroid starts working better, I hope she will be able to keep the weight on!

I need to direct her to that website and book and have a look at it myself, just in case. I have always heard it is the saliva test we need - not the blood. I've never had either... But have no symptoms, I don't think anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjl330 View Post
How exciting Buffy!!!! You are doing so great. I think you've found the perfect plan for you!!

I think you could try using egg whites too if it's just for a binder. I use eggs for a binder in my meatloaf and it works great. I've also added ground up pork rinds which have worked ok too.
I'll eyeball the oat flour/oat bran. I think egg whites have too much protein for my goal. Thanks for reminding me Sandy!
Old 09-21-2012, 09:33 AM   #479
Big Yapper!!!!

In all these years, they have never used a saliva test on me, would like to have that done.

I need to get that book Debby, for both myself and my DD's, they all are hypo as well.

Judy, sure hope I can get off some of my BP meds, I am on 3 different ones.
Old 09-21-2012, 09:34 AM   #480
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

In fact, Buffy, just eating low carb could do that for you! So watch yourself that you don't get too low.
Closed Thread