Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Eat Fat, Get Thin
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-23-2012, 12:31 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: batnik
NO Weight lost?! what is up with this?!

Hello all,
I don't think I have lost ANY weight on this diet, I have been doing for about a month and a half now.
All my clothes fit the same. :-S
A few notes on my background:
I am a 35 yr old woman. 5'4" About 179 lbs

My weight gain was due to a medication I took for 2 years, that was about 6 years ago now. I gained weight from the moment I started to the moment I stopped and lost about ten lbs when I stopped and kept the rest.
My lifestyle/ eating never changed.

I always considered myself a healthy eater.
No chips/cookies crackers OR ANYTHING good in my house. LOL
Whole grain kamut pasta, low fat, low sugar bla bla bla
And vegetarian since I was 11yrs old.

So I recently decided to make some drastic changes in my life and go low carb. And eat meat.

I buy 99% organic free range meats etc and organic food.
i have been doing a lot of paleoish recipes etc. Although i do eat dairy.

I have read you can't do low fat low carb, but this isn't working any better then my old diet. Although, I am generally enjoying my food more.

I usually eat eggs for breakfast, hard boiled, or scrambled, sometimes with meat. Cream in my coffee. occasional snacks on cheese (not every day).
Meat and veggies for dinner. Seeds, a few nuts, plain yogurt/ berries, pepperettes (organic), baking with nut flours occasionally, not eating out too much... cooking with coconut/ ghee....

Ok, not exercising, but really if that is the whole point, I could eat the way I was (healthy but carbie) and exercise.

STILL FAT.
What's up?!

Thanks!
batnik is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-23-2012, 01:13 PM   #2
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: CarolynF
Stats: 195/141/139
WOE: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Start Date: January 2001
...and another thing is that too much meat acts like carbs and will stall your weight.
You need the "perfect" amount of protein for your body, which probably is around
70 grams a day, spaced out...That is about 3.5 ounces per meal. ..plus, unfortunately calories do seem to count..

Most ladies around our size have to keep the calories around 1500 to see a loss..
CarolynF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 02:35 PM   #3
Junior LCF Member

ok fair enough, but if it's calories, then why aren't we doing low cal diets?
If I want to be hungry that's what I would do... :-S
and how much is too much fruit. I generally have one or less servings per day.
I am starting to think, unless I starve my self or run 5 miles a day, nothing will change.
and I cant see how I am above 1500 calories.
So eat a small piece of meat, practically no fruit, dairy or nuts, and the rest is veggies.
I know veggies are great for you, but this doesn't seem very balanced, or filling. :-S
Why is this diet called high fat, if you are hardly allowed any fats?
sorry, getting frustrated and confused...
Thanks anyways.
Back to spaghetti I guess if giving it up makes no difference anyways.
No wonder people get eating disorders.
Old 08-23-2012, 03:11 PM   #4
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: janetsbreeze
Stats: 197/186.6/130; 5'2"
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: January 19, 2011
I'm not sure where you are getting that you are not allowed any fats - that's the premise of the diet.
Try using an online food calculator to see what percentages your food intake fall into. % fat, % protein,% carbs.
You can have filling and delicious meals while keeping in the prescribed percentages, and keeping at about 1500 cals a day.
janetsbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 03:53 PM   #5
Junior LCF Member

my point is people say cut out the cheese, nuts and watch the cream. So... the only issue with them would be calories from fat.
It just seems misleading, more like occasional butter/ oils for cooking and whatever natural fat happens to be in the meat, as long as the meat is the size of a deck of cards.
Bah, I guess I am just whining! LOL
I thought that there was more theory to this other than likely just exercise and limit your calories, and i'm questioning the validity of that I guess. Perhaps it is easier to stick to then other diets.
Old 08-24-2012, 06:12 AM   #6
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: CarolynF
Stats: 195/141/139
WOE: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Start Date: January 2001
Have you read the science behind the low carb diets? If not, get yourself an Atkins book or other low carb book..Then you will understand how bad carbs are for you and realize
that for optimal health low carb is the way to go.

Having said that, everyone has their own "thing" and needs to tweak for their body.
Jimmy Moore started eating more fat and less protein and has dropped 30 pounds in the last few months..He has a blog.
CarolynF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 08:38 AM   #7
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: janetsbreeze
Stats: 197/186.6/130; 5'2"
Start Date: January 19, 2011
Quote:
my point is people say cut out the cheese, nuts and watch the cream
The only time I have seen people say not to use these is when they are stalled - no weight lost for three weeks or so. Dairy can stall some folks, but I don't think it's related to the fat. I think it's the dairy itself.
Nuts can be high in carbs depending on what nuts you are eating. Carb creep is a common occurance, which is why I suggested the online calculator. You can get a pretty accurate idea of what exactly you are eating that way.

Can you break down your daily menu for us? What you ate for breakfast, lunch, dinner and what % comes from fat, protein, and carbs?
It sounds like you are looking for a reason to give up already and I'd hate to see you do that without giving it a good try.

Janet's Second Wind
janetsbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 06:49 AM   #8
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: KIMMIR
Stats: 299/273/190
WOE: EFGT
Start Date: November 2011
I had a hard time when I first started back on the low carb diet, the first time I tried it I lost weight fast. But not the second so I searched on several forums and found that my body was stubborn to respond to this it took a bout a month in ketosis before it trusted what I was doing to it this time. I had starved myself when I was younger so my body has been in starve mode for a while. The two things that helped me most to get things moving again was reading the ratio of Fats, proteins, And Carbs to eat on the EFGT program and adding Virgin Coconut Oil to my diet to help my thyroid kick it in gear... The best added effect was the lose off sugar cravings!!! Hope this helps.
KIMMIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 06:41 PM   #9
Junior LCF Member

well I did give up after the 6 weeks with no weight loss, but am going to try again. I was being what I thought, very strict and faithful, but did have dairy.
Normal day: 3 eggs, some bacon or other breakfast meat
cheese for a snack, sometimes an apple or raspberries
veggies steak for dinner
plain organic yogurt sometimes
a few walnuts
Coffee with whipped cream
homemade chicken soup
I did not count calories, because I thought I was eating everything I should be.
I bought coconut oil, did some baking with nut flours etc.
Basically everything I read on here and including no sugar.
Occasionally xylitol.
for 6 week, and no loss.
Fat does have a lot of calories, and if I have to suddenly watch my fat content... well you get the idea, the premise works or it doesn't. If it ends up just based on lower calories, then the theory of where the calories come from goes out the window.
Or perhaps my metabolism is totally broken and is not working how most of yours seem to. :-S
I will give it another try, but struggle to see how I could have done better. I guess no Dairy.... boo.
Old 10-15-2012, 07:06 PM   #10
Junior LCF Member

Today for instance I had 2 eggs with half a bell pepper, 1/2 cup of yogurt, 3 walnut halfs 1/2 a pack of bacon for lunch and an apple, the rest of the bacon and 1 1/2 raw bell peppers for dinner. 2 hours and starving later, I can of organic barley soup because I am starving and have ran out of meat and veg to eat in my house (need to go shopping) haha
annnd am hungry again...
Old 03-07-2013, 09:21 AM   #11
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Rosie Posie
Stats: 254/231/155
WOE: Low Carb, Gluten Free Mix (moving towards Paleo)
Start Date: April 2012
Hi there,

Since it's been awhile maybe you won't read this response, but I'll post it for others like myself who came across this thread. I think the advice from the ladies about using a tracker is very important. After years of using one, sometimes I get too busy (aka lazy) to track my food and when I stop losing and start entering I find carb creep. The idea behind higher fat diets and not having to count calories is that you have to keep your carbs below a certain level e.g. 40-60. However, if you're not tracking you can be accidentally lying to yourself about your carb intake. I love cooking with nut flours, but they always put me over 60g. Even without nuts, I can easily go over 60g carbs.

For example, yesterday my carb total was 71g carbs and I was shocked because I was sure I was having a low carb day! I had bacon and coffee for breakfast, 0 carb pork wieners with yellow mustard and SF ketchup for lunch. I snacked on salami and cheese strings and for dinner I had tofu, mashed cauliflower with mushroom gravy and and kale with tahini mayo sauce.For dessert, I had 1 cup of homemade full fat sugar free ice cream. Each thing on it's own was low carb, but added all together it was more than I had expected!. For instance one tbsp of cream has 1 carb. I used 6 tbsp of cream in 2 coffees. My salami had 3 g carbs :S for 10 thin slices, my 2 cheese string had 2 carbs. My tofu was 4 carbs. Cauliflower had 10g, mushrooms had 8g, and kale had 10g carbs. My tahini-miso sauce was 6 g carbs. My ice cream had 8g carbs.

All that is to say, is that it is very easy to underestimate how many carbs you're eating especially with vegetables and processed meats because they're assumed to be low carb. If your bacon was cured with sugar it may not be as low carb as you thought. Sometimes manufacturers list a serving as containing 0 carbs because they're negligible i.e. 0.3g but for an entire package of bacon that could equal about 6g carbs. Also the yogurt could be 10-30g of carbs in itself depending on the type. 2 eggs have close to 1g carb. 2 bell peppers can be between 10-15 g carbs. An apple has about 20 g carbs. 3 walnut halves has about 1g carbs. So assuming that there wasn't any other foods that you forgot to mention your carb intake (excluding the barley soup) was likely between 48g and 73g of carbs.

To lower your carb intake, but feel more satisfied, try different fruits and vegetables. For instance berries are much lower carb than apples. For instance you can eat 1/2 cup of raspberries for about 7.5 carbs. Instead of eating 2 green peppers try eating 2 cups of lettuce at about 3.3g carbs. With these kinds of choices you can add sauces and dressings to increase fat and reduce hunger.

Hope that helps a little
Rosie Posie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 07:18 AM   #12
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Quail_Chick
Stats: 200/197/132
Start Date: 3/23/13
Quote:
Originally Posted by batnik View Post
Today for instance I had 2 eggs with half a bell pepper, 1/2 cup of yogurt, 3 walnut halfs 1/2 a pack of bacon for lunch and an apple, the rest of the bacon and 1 1/2 raw bell peppers for dinner. 2 hours and starving later, I can of organic barley soup because I am starving and have ran out of meat and veg to eat in my house (need to go shopping) haha
annnd am hungry again...
You ate a pound of bacon in a day?
There is part of the problem right there. Too much fat and not the "right" kind of protein. Maybe try subbing the bacon for a steak salad w blue chz dressing or chicken Caesar? Induction is the hardest part. I'm in it now, and have to be über vigilant about my eating, I've lost 3 lbs since Saturday and feel awesome, but haven't given up the captain and diets, and it shows in the slow loss, so each of us has a battle.
Maybe try downloading the Atkins app for your smartphone? It's fee and really helps you keep track of yourself.
Good luck! I hope it all works out for you!
Quail_Chick is offline   Reply With Quote