Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Eat Fat, Get Thin
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-24-2012, 01:43 PM   #181
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: JMCM1
WOE: EFGT wheat free (grain free)
Start Date: June 2012
Dr. Peter Attia gave an interview yesterday and it was posted on "DietDoctor.com" Good interview and good to hear again the reason we're doing what we're doing.

But also on that same website: "A ketone level somewhere between 1.5 – 3 is said to be an optimal level for maximizing weight loss." So I'm not there yet.

Tweaking~!

Sponsored Links
Old 08-24-2012, 06:12 PM   #182
Princess Proofreader

Gallery: TuscanGirl
Stats: Sad/Happy/Wow 5'
WOE: Something like GL and LC and . . . .
Start Date: July 2003
I'm hoping I remember how to enjoy the quiet.
Right now I just don't want to miss him so much!
Sigh.

Anyway . . . . I promise not to be too maudlin!

I've never knowingly been in ketosis. What's it like?
Old 08-24-2012, 06:35 PM   #183
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

You probably live in ketosis!
Not hungry; not caring not hungry.

Awesome. HA!

Hate you are missing your son. That's a tough one.
We enjoy our kids, too. But they both live in town.
Old 08-25-2012, 08:40 AM   #184
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Buffy45
Stats: Type 2 Diabetic as of 6/1/08
WOE: LC/MP/HF
Start Date: Restart 7/1/2014
Morning!
Had an awesome facial yesterday, wow, she is good. This morning my face still feels extra soft.

Got a lot of errands ran yesterday, each one a little one but lots of loose ends, felt good to get them all done. Now, I have one return left, it was not on my path yesterday.

Had dinner and drinks with DH last night, it has been awhile since we had gone out, was fun. We shared his dinner, neither of us can eat a full restaurant meal anymore, but it was too rich for me, I suffered after we got home and didn't sleep very well for the first 2-3 hours.

What is the name of the blog or message board you are reading about the ketosis stuff in/on? Is it on this site?
Old 08-25-2012, 10:28 AM   #185
Princess Proofreader

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMCM1 View Post
You probably live in ketosis!
Not hungry; not caring not hungry.

Awesome. HA!

Hate you are missing your son. That's a tough one.
We enjoy our kids, too. But they both live in town.

I guess maybe I do live in ketosis!
Too funny!

I have 4 kids and only 1 lives close. We live in a small town in central IL and career choices are limited. The kids are in Aspen, Milwaukee and DS20 goes to college in Chicago. I want them to live their dreams and I like to visit them in their fun towns ~ but . . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffy45 View Post
Had an awesome facial yesterday, wow, she is good. This morning my face still feels extra soft.
Facials are so wonderful!!!

I had a massage yesterday ~ must have been pampering day!
Old 08-25-2012, 11:40 AM   #186
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Yes here on this site. Buckle up - it's a lot of reading and math and cipherin' and such!

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...ge-anyone.html

I follow other blogs off this site, also, and people are coming to the same conclusions as you all already had (that's why I couldn't wait to butt in and join you!) that too much protein is a weight-gainer or a staller. Everybody here has been low carbing for years, mostly. But to modify the protein is what's exploding around the low carb world now. And to eat more fat, too.

I think they are calling it ketogenic eating elsewhere? maybe?
I could be wrong there. They are calling it Nutritional Ketosis on this LCF site.

I ate less than perfectly yesterday meaning I ate too few calories (barely 1000) and very low protein, mighty few carbs (about 20 g total) and the rest fat. My blood ketone level this morning? 0.7
I am in ketosis but... why not like Carolyn at 1.5?? Although I'm not sure it matters. If you're in it you're in it.

I am having lots of leg and foot cramps at night, so I am supplementing with magnesium and I am toying with the idea of getting some potassium.
So many things to tweak!
Old 08-25-2012, 07:24 PM   #187
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: CarolynF
Stats: 195/141/139
WOE: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Start Date: January 2001
Hi gals..

Judy...I think it was that almond flour bread I had that shot me up there..tons of fat in that thing... I always take 2 potassium pills every morning/2 mags at night..Potassium
stops those cramping feet..which are horrible..

MK: Massage sounds wonderful..

Buffy: Your tummy might have shrunk..I don't like eating late..makes me stay up.

We had a nice rainstorm today.. We needed it badly..
Old 08-26-2012, 07:03 AM   #188

Hi ladies..

Still raining off and on..This is a good thing...Want it to rain? Buy the stain to stain your deck..I reminded dh that there is still next weekend..

Off to church...

Have a great day, everyone..

Anyone remember Wilted Spinach Salad? I'm making that for a get together tonight.
Hot Bacon Dressing with a touch of Splenda..Spinach, eggs, and bacon..I'm leaving out the mushrooms, cuz I don't like them...Maybe add some green onion, too.
Old 08-26-2012, 09:20 AM   #189
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: DebbyL
Stats: 168/130/128
WOE: Maintenance
Start Date: WtLoss->Sept11-Oct12->Maint.
Good morning!
We had unexpected company last night... did a whirl-wind house cleaning & the mopping hurt my back. So I ended up taking ibuprofen... guess what? 3.5 lb water retention! Googled it & it says that it does that to some people... guess that's me...That's it, no more ibuprofen for me.

Its a beautiful day, going to church & then lunch at friends.

Have a good one!
Old 08-26-2012, 10:16 AM   #190
Big Yapper!!!!

Morning

Judy, thanks for the thread, I went over and have slowly been reading through it. I order both the book and the New Atkins. Carolyn can remember me from years ago that we got acquainted on this board and I never could lose very well on Atkins, even when I thought I was following it correctly, well, I was eating huge amounts of protein as I had an enormous appetite back then. I ordered the books because I have to be very careful of the diabetes but it will be good to have the info whether I do it or not.

Carolyn, the salad sounds yummy.

Debby, I have had swelling lately and have been eating crab legs several times a week, just read that they are super high in sodium.
Old 08-26-2012, 10:18 AM   #191
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Well Carolyn you've just confirmed what I was suspecting. - not with the supplements which I'm going to buy today (already taking magnesium, but thought I should probably take potassium too) - I am planning on bathing in epsom salts plus baking soda, too. I just FEAR the cramping it's been happening the past 7 nights!

Anyhoozle, I have found reasonable replacement "breads" -- calorie-wise and lower protein, that are great with me. I am glad to have recipes for special breads, too. Because life will require those things, hopefully. But if I had been making my own bread every week BEFORE I was overweight, I might not have been overweight. If I had to make my own chips and crackers, I bet you $1.10 that I would not have been overweight. I have never had dessert every night, and just because it's low carb, I still don't think it fits in a healthy eating plan (even though my never overweight grandmother had a little dessert after every lunch (dinner) and every dinner (supper).

This is about eating real food I make myself. And leaving alone the ridiculous little bits of poison.

SO last night was the big party for my friend's birthday. My husband smoked two of THE MOST DELICIOUS beef tenderloins, basted in butter. They were beautiful and so delicious. HOWEVER there was birthday cake.
One of our friends has celiac's so the birthday cake was her famous "flourless chocolate cake."

Mr. Celiac enjoyed that cake immensely. I had two bites. I've had it before and craved it, but two bites was the sugariest richest thing... I was fine with my two bites. I also had wine. I did not have her corn salad, I did not have crackers with cheese (just a bite of cheese here & there) I did not have the lovely cream cheese mixed with curry covered in some kind of jelly and cashews everyone raves over and I've raved over previously. I did not have her dinner rolls.

I had TWO glasses of wine *hic*, a couple of pieces of cheese (I bet it might add up to 1 oz. cheese), two cashews, probably 5 oz. tenderloin, some asparagus with hollandaise sauce, and her beautiful salad with candied (!) pecans and blueberries and maybe a little sugar in the dressing.

And I weigh a new low this morning. Two pounds less than yesterday.

I wonder if it's water loss from the alcohol?

But enough of that. Let's talk about me!

Me me me my my my III my rain gauge says nearly 3"!
It's a blessing!
Old 08-26-2012, 10:21 AM   #192
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

And Carolyn I never fear asking you for something!
When you find that delicious-sounding spinach salad, would you mind posting a link?
TYIA...
Old 08-26-2012, 10:24 AM   #193
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Buffy do you think that way of eating will be OK with diabetes? I suppose you'll discuss with a right-thinking doctor? If you can find one...

Dr. Atkins might have been more clear but I sort of think this "mostly fat" way of eating and limiting protein is pretty new. Barry Groves is a pioneer, I guess!

Last edited by JMCM1; 08-26-2012 at 10:25 AM..
Old 08-26-2012, 04:18 PM   #194
Princess Proofreader

Hi!
DS20 has moved in. Love the boys he's rooming with - though I swear one of them is actually about 42 in a 19yo body!! Such an old soul! Their parents were interesting, but maybe they thought the same about us!

Now we're trying to get home in a horrible rainstorm!!

I love recipes too!!
Old 08-26-2012, 07:55 PM   #195
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I sure hope you two arrived safely.
Old 08-26-2012, 07:56 PM   #196

Hi ladies...

I love the 42 year old in a 19 year old body...LOL..Makes for a stabilizing factor in the apartment..LOL..Glad he is settled in.

Big raves on my retro spinach salad..

Hard boil 4 eggs...cool and peel
1/4 of a small red onion, chopped finely.

Cook about 6 slices of bacon in a pan until crispy..Remove and let the bacon cool and keep the grease in the pan..

Cut up bacon into bitesized pieces and chop eggs up, too..

I used 2 bags of spinach, but you can use one for 2-3 peeps...Place spinach in a large bowl..layer spinach/chopped onion/bacon pieces/spinach/chopped onion/bacon pieces
until done..

For the dressing: Get the bacon grease hot in the pan, then add a couple of Tbs. cider vinegar or wine vinegar to taste..Then add splenda to taste..This is a guessing thing..
Cook until hot..

Put egg slices on top of the spinach salad and pour the hot dressing into the salad, mixing well with 2 large spoons..

Old 08-26-2012, 08:01 PM   #197
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thank you!
Old 08-26-2012, 08:55 PM   #198
Princess Proofreader

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMCM1 View Post
I sure hope you two arrived safely.
We're home!!
And DH is driving to St Louis for work tomorrow!

Thanks for the recipe Carolyn!!
Yum!!!
Old 08-27-2012, 05:02 AM   #199

Gallery: sjl330
Stats: 184/141/140 5'7"
WOE: EFGT-Barry Groves
Start Date: January 2003
I love bacon/spinach salad! And haven't made it in a while. Maybe I'll make that this week. I had the family over for dinner yesterday. It'll be the last family dinner until the new baby gets here, 2 weeks from today!!! We made Hatch chile rellenos and cheese, onion and chicken enchiladas with green sauce. I have to say they were both a giant hit. I told them not to expect those rellenos very often though as they are VERY labor intensive. DH said if we make them again we're doing something different. I'm not sure what, but something, lol. The enchiladas were not on plan of course, but I tried to eat mostly the rellenos. I'm going to be strict this week and really try to up my fats and keep my protein in the moderate levels and see what happens.

MK, sorry about your empty nest again. Just keep thinking about the holidays when they'll come home again. That rain you drove through, slid right on through here without leaving more than maybe 1/8th of an inch!! Please send some of it back!!!!

At the beach.... time you enjoyed wasting, is NOT time wasted. TS ELLIOT
Old 08-27-2012, 05:17 AM   #200
Princess Proofreader

Morning!
Sandy - wish I could send the rain back!! It was so hard to see yesterday while we were driving home!!

We'll see both DS's this weekend as we head to Milwaukee for Labor Day!!
Old 08-27-2012, 06:10 AM   #201
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Mary Kay, I have no other way of knowing you than your fun posts and your avi - so I always picture you and your dh dancing through life with a smile on your face as you visit the next child in the next place!

So happy you got through that rain unscathed. I love rain, but I don't like driving through driving rain!
Old 08-27-2012, 06:12 AM   #202
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Sandy, in my imagination, being at goal would mean to me that I could sometimes go off-plan. I actually cannot imagine life without the occasional enchilada or couple of bites of cake. But the hard part, or the smart part, is going back on-plan.

Since you have been maintaining, I appreciate hearing how you manage. Thank you for letting us know. Role model!
Old 08-27-2012, 08:52 AM   #203
Princess Proofreader

Judy - Sandy has the metabolism of a 19 year old boy! It's totally unfair!!

And i was just going to change my avi to DS20 and I . . . am i allowed to?
Old 08-27-2012, 09:04 AM   #204
Big Yapper!!!!

Morning!
As you all know, I am NOT a morning person and love to stay up late and sleep late. Well, this morning I had an early appointment with my Jane Iredale place to go and try out their new facial primer and BB cream. Anyone else on here use Jane Iredale makeup? Very superior quality mineral makeup. Love, love, love this brand. Anyway, she could only see me early so I got up, jumped in the shower, and off I went. Love the primer and brought home sample of BB cream to try over several days. This makeup is sold mostly in spas, salons and a few dept. stores, but it is worth the hunt. Very light and natural and has stuff in it that is good for your skin.

So, now I am up, what all to get done today????

Judy, not sure if this diet is for me, as a diabetic, but anxious to read up on the new thinking of less protein, more fat. Actually, I do believe that a type 2 diabetic could control their diabetes with just this type of diet if and that if is HUGE, they did not ever cheat. There is the problem. When I first found out I had type 2, I did a very very strict low carb diet for about 3 months and controlled my blood sugar just with that, but, got lazy and sloppy and so opted to take meds for it.

I haven't actually met MK either but I also see her as a smiling happy mother and wife, vibrant woman who dances through life and its many challenges!!!

Carolyn, your salad sounds sooo good.

Sandy, can't believe the new baby is almost here, that went fast for us, probably not so much for the mommy

Amazon says my books will be here Wed. or Thurs. so will be interesting reads anyway.
Old 08-27-2012, 09:07 AM   #205
Princess Proofreader

Quote:

I haven't actually met MK either but I also see her as a smiling happy mother and wife, vibrant woman who dances through life and its many challenges!!!
OK - really enjoying all the love today!

Buffy - let me know about the BB cream.
It seems to be the new 'it' cream and I'm curious what you think!

Is it a tinted moisturizer?
Old 08-27-2012, 09:21 AM   #206
Big Yapper!!!!

Yes, MK. BB cream stands for beauty balm or something like that. I have 2 samples I am comparing. Omorovicza from Neimans, super expensive but I do love their skincare, which is a mineral based line. And, the Jane Iredale BB cream. Omorovicza touts theirs as the only one have no silicone in it but it is about 2 1/2 times more expensive than Jane Iredale and Jane products are very high quality. It is like a tinted moisturizer. But, it also usually has stuff in it that is supposed to be good for your skin, treat wrinkles, minimize pores, yada yada yada. All the cosmetic companies have come out with a BB cream now. The gal who did my facial the other day said she bought 6 of them to compare and of course thinks Omorvicza is the best but she also works for that company. Oh, it also helps your makeup stay on better. So, we will see, nothing Buffy likes better than playing with and testing skin care and makeup. I have to say that the Jane Iredale BB cream I have on today with just a light dusting of mineral powder and blush on looks lovely and luminous, if only it made me look 35 again
Old 08-27-2012, 09:34 AM   #207
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuscanGirl View Post
Judy - Sandy has the metabolism of a 19 year old boy! It's totally unfair!!

And i was just going to change my avi to DS20 and I . . . am i allowed to?
Absolutely yes!
I must look like a cat to you all...
Carolyn had the cute avi (when I first got interested in your group) of a 50's woman in a recliner saying she wished her weight was the same as when she thought she was fat. The real Carolyn was not a drawing! Surprising!

And that figures about Sandy and her hummingbird metabolism... probably the same for Cindy.

I'm still watching and learning the people who are successful. However they are successful there's probably something to learn everywhere.

Buffy, excellent skin care products are essential. We await your reviews breathlessly!
Old 08-27-2012, 10:06 AM   #208

Hi everyone..

Yes, Buffy is our "makeup" expert..Living near Dallas, she gets to go to neat places..

MK: It takes a week or two to get readjusted after the last one leaves for college..I'm sure you both are dancing...or will be soon..LOL.

Weather is great..a bit hot, but not terrible..Just exercised Slow Burn and went to Wallie..Having eggplant parmesan tonight for dinner..I love that stuff..

Sandy, you do have the fastest metabolism ever..and I can't believe your new baby is coming so soon...Did you tell us if the baby is a boy or girl? Can't remember..

Hope Cindy had fun with her relatives..

Judy: I am not a drawing..LOL..I wish I was sometimes, though...
Old 08-27-2012, 11:40 AM   #209
Big Yapper!!!!

I have had the immense pleasure of meeting Carolyn in person and she is a tiny little thing, very pretty and her personality shines through her smile.
Old 08-27-2012, 11:59 AM   #210
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
I have had the immense pleasure of meeting Carolyn in person and she is a tiny little thing, very pretty and her personality shines through her smile.
I have no doubt!
Closed Thread