Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Eat Fat, Get Thin
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-13-2012, 11:01 AM   #181
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JessBunny
Stats: 370/288/150
WOE: EFGT & Wheat Free
Start Date: 9/1/11
I know Iíve been MIA for over a week now. Itís just been ďone of those daysĒ every day at work for about a week and a half now. Iím leaving early today though, Iíve put in more than enough hours this week. Last Saturday my cousin got married and while it was a beautiful wedding it was one of the most uncomfortable events I have ever been too. The whole thing was outdoors on the hottest day of the year so far. The official temp was 104 with the humidity putting the heat index at 109. The ceremony was right in the late afternoon in the direct sun, no shade there. At least the reception was in a tent but it was so hot in there too. Everyone was just dripping. I felt so bad for the guys in the wedding party, all of them were in tuxís. It was certainly memorable though.

Welcome to all the newcomers!!

Debby: I hope the meds help you feel better soon!

MK: I hope you start feeling better soon!

Serena: Iím in month 4 of total wheat/gluten elimination. For me it has made the biggest difference in my overall wellbeing than anything else. I had been low carb for several months before going wheat free. But since Iíve dropped the wheat I have been losing weight faster and easier, I have less acne, my horribly dry and itchy skin is much better, I sleep better, and I have actual control over my appetite again which is something I lost about 10 years ago. It felt really daunting at first to eliminate the wheat, itís just in so many things. But once you get past the first few weeks it gets easier and easier. For me the benefits have been too great to really miss wheat enough to go back.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-13-2012, 11:26 AM   #182
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: sjl330
Stats: 184/141/140 5'7"
WOE: EFGT-Barry Groves
Start Date: January 2003
That's what's so irritating is how many things they sneak wheat into. Just like sugar and salt. They add these things even where they're not needed!

My DH was not an overweight person which is why he didn't really stick with LC eating. But he developed moderately high BP and was borderline type2 diabetic. So that just goes to show you that even normal weight peeps need to eat healthy too. Disease doesn't only show up in the overweight but in all peeps, even the ones who look healthy from the outside.
Old 07-13-2012, 01:13 PM   #183
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: JMCM1
WOE: EFGT wheat free (grain free)
Start Date: June 2012
Jess, the book entitled, "All the Reasons Your Wedding Should Not Be Outside" would be very large and have many authors.

Brides-to-be would never read it.
Old 07-13-2012, 02:39 PM   #184

Gallery: CarolynF
Stats: 195/141/139
WOE: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Start Date: January 2001
I totally agree..Beth and Shawn went to an outside wedding a few Saturdays ago or last Sat..Hot as the debil in KCity..in a field..The mother of the groom collapsed of the heat..Not fun..

Maybe in So. California you could have an outside wedding..maybe..
Old 07-13-2012, 11:23 PM   #185
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Serena11
Stats: 172.8/164.4/128
WOE: Weight Watchers lower carb
It's heartening to hear from those of you who are wheat/gluten free that it has actually helped. Thanks so much for the support! I went on a big binge today I think because I'm reacting to not eating it any more. I have to not make it such a big thing I guess. The acupuncturist said I would notice a difference by six weeks, so maybe I should make that my goal rather than look at it as a lifetime of deprivation. One day at a time.

Jess, a wedding in 104 degrees will definitely be memorable! Glad you all survived. I'm sure your cousin will look back on it and laugh some day. It seems like something always has to go wrong at a wedding. If they can get through that, they can get through marriage!

No dessert is a good dessert!

*Serena*
Old 07-14-2012, 05:30 AM   #186

Hi ladies..

Serena, you can do it, you can do it.. There are many gluten-free lowcarb recipes that are excellent..

Hair dye on head..Three more minutes to go.

Hey, ladies...I was picked to test some Atkins products..(I took a survey). This morning I tested 2 peanut butter protein bars and I had to fill out the details on line..I think they were the same idea, but different recipes. One was sweeter than the other..I only ate
1/2 of each bar..It was kind of fun..Hope I don't get intestinal distress..but I'm not going anywhere in public this afternoon..LOL

Old 07-14-2012, 12:49 PM   #187

Okay, KCity kitties...Beth told me her new endo is Dr. Eck..(woman at KU Med)..Anyone heard of her??
Old 07-14-2012, 02:41 PM   #188
Always on, slightly off

Gallery: CindyCRNA
Stats: 152/132/121 Currently 120's lbs, 5'7" 52 years old
WOE: 35%/25%/45% (F,P,C 1850 calories/day)
Start Date: Raising carbs 1/10
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolynF View Post
Okay, KCity kitties...Beth told me her new endo is Dr. Eck..(woman at KU Med)..Anyone heard of her??
I have not but the KU people pretty much stay at KU so I wouldn't ever see them.
Old 07-14-2012, 06:39 PM   #189

Thanks...I hope she likes her..Appointment isn't until Sept...
Old 07-14-2012, 08:11 PM   #190

I haven't heard of her either Carolyn. I wish Beth the best of luck in getting a solution.

I went for one of those Life Line Screenings this a.m. I'm all clear! A couple of years ago a good friend of mine had them done and they told her to immediately get in to her Dr. as one of her carotids was over 90% blocked! She ended up having to have surgery to clean it out. And they're closely watching the other one which also had some blockage. Another friend of mine just found out his are blocked too, so it got me to thinking I might as well get them checked. I'm relieved that mine are fine. I'll get an "official" report in a couple of weeks.

At the beach.... time you enjoyed wasting, is NOT time wasted. TS ELLIOT
Old 07-14-2012, 08:13 PM   #191
Princess Proofreader

Gallery: TuscanGirl
Stats: Sad/Happy/Wow 5'
WOE: Something like GL and LC and . . . .
Start Date: July 2003
We climbed Mt Everest's sister today. my legs were fine, but my lungs were killing me!
We also went to the Aspen Saturday Market (like a Farmer's Market, but so much more!) Wonder if I saw Buffy and didn't know it??!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjl330 View Post
MK, get Tums and chew them throughout the day. I have a friend who swears by that cure and I've read several testimonials from lots of others.
Thanks! I didn't know that!
The cottonwood is really bad here and amazingly after i took a Claritin-D I felt a lot better. At least the nausea was gone. The rest just slowly went away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMCM1 View Post
Oh darn that altitude sickness! I know you probably know this, so I'll annoyingly say it anyway - drink lots of water.
I've had it off and on, too! I wonder what determines it - sometimes I get it and sometimes I don't. Never know. But I used to be happy not wanting to eat, at least!
Reminds me of that line (I'll botch it up) from The Devil Wears Prada, "I'm one stomach flu away from my perfect weight."
I love that quote from Prada!!!

And this is definitely TMI but I'm drinking so much water my pee is clear!

And I've definitely been less hungry here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessBunny View Post

It felt really daunting at first to eliminate the wheat, itís just in so many things. But once you get past the first few weeks it gets easier and easier. For me the benefits have been too great to really miss wheat enough to go back.
I was amazed how many things it's in - even salad dressing!!
I'm back to reading labels again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjl330 View Post
That's what's so irritating is how many things they sneak wheat into. Just like sugar and salt. They add these things even where they're not needed!
Exactly - eating out this week has been hard. Did you know vodka coomes from wheat?!

I found this:

However, the Celiac Sprue Foundation recommends no hard liquor from grains containing gluten, at least during the early phases of a gluten-free diet. Many people with wheat allergies and other grain allergies choose to avoid distilled alcohol, either out of caution or because they find that it does exacerbate their symptoms.

Here's a rundown of the base grains for common vodkas:

Wheat: Stolichnaya (made from a blend of wheat and rye), Grey Goose, Ketel One, Snow Queen, Van Gogh (made from a blend of wheat, corn, and barley), La Chance, Vox, Polar Ice, Absolut
Rye: Belvedere
Barley: Finlandia, Koskenkorva
Corn: Smirnoff
Potato: Chopin, Teton Glacier, Monopolowa, Vikingfjord, Luksosowa
Grape: CÓroc, Bombora

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serena11 View Post
It's heartening to hear from those of you who are wheat/gluten free that it has actually helped. Thanks so much for the support! I went on a big binge today I think because I'm reacting to not eating it any more. I have to not make it such a big thing I guess. The acupuncturist said I would notice a difference by six weeks, so maybe I should make that my goal rather than look at it as a lifetime of deprivation. One day at a time.
I'm 53 and still use a Climara patch - i had a hysterectomy about 10 years ago. I sleep like a rock!
But I'd like to think LC and now gluten-free would help too!

Circles of fashion are more like spirals, covering the same area but never arriving in the same place twice!

įį◊įį
Old 07-14-2012, 08:14 PM   #192
Princess Proofreader

Sandy - I had one of those awhile ago - I was relieved to hear mine were in the "normal" range too!
Old 07-14-2012, 11:12 PM   #193
Senior LCF Member

It sounds like you are having a wonderful time in Aspen, Mary Kay. You must be in great shape to be able to hike up the mountains. I imagine it's just beautiful up there.

It is amazing that grain-based alcohol can aggravate gluten sensitivity. Bummer. Thank heavens some are made from other things!

Glad you got a good reading, Sandy. It's one of those things the doctors don't check until something happens. I should probably get one since I have very high cholesterol. Who knows what's going on in there.

I accomplished my first gluten free day today, and starting charting my fat, protein, carbs and calories. I see my balances are not optimal. I thought I was eating a lot of fat, but not nearly enough. Need to cut down more on the carbs and up the fat. I only had about 1300 calories though and was not hungry. I don't know how you get in so much fat in a day. I have got to get the book.

Last edited by Serena11; 07-14-2012 at 11:15 PM..
Old 07-15-2012, 09:44 AM   #194
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Well for heaven's sake, Mary Kay if you can climb a mountain I am pretty sure you are doing just fine! WOW. What a great adventure and the reason I am sure I could not accompany you is that I am 54 and you are a mere 53. See? That's the only difference.
And dangit - I have not been wheat free, as I occasionally have vodka. Honestly, thank you for posting that. So now I will just avoid alcohol at all for awhile. Is there wheat in wine? I sound desperate...

MK my urologist would be proud of you. He says unless it's the first time in the morning, you pee should be clear.

Serena, it is surprisingly easy to get enough fat. Butter your vegetables. Fry your eggs in butter. Top a mock danish with artificially sweetened cream cheese. It will definitely be the fat that keeps you on track, because it seems impossible to be hungry. Eat the fat on your steak. Eat the skin and fat with your chicken. There are supposedly many good nutrients in the fat.

There is a good thread on these efgt boards where the people post a meal and their ratios/percentages. I believe it was started by Carolyn and I used it as a guide at first. I need concrete examples and reading these boards was so helpful to me. I admit- I also eat a spoonful of coconut oil here and there. I think it's supposed to help a lot of things and maybe that's why I was feeling so much better after starting this way of eating.

The fact you are keeping track will be your best help. Good job.
Old 07-15-2012, 01:03 PM   #195

Hi ladies..

Dh left for NCarolina today..He did remember his suitcase, but left his sports jacket home..Can't remember everything, I guess...LOL..

We did the LifeLine Screening a few years back..Dh needs to do it again..I was fine..It is really a good deal and very easy to do..

MKay: We are proud of you for climbing that mountain... Cindy is our mountain climber, but you should get your badge, too..

Serena: There is a lot of fat in meat and chicken skin..If you do ******, it seems to know the fat/protein components of meats..and eggs have fat, too.

Hi to everyone else......Buffy is busy babysitting..
Old 07-15-2012, 09:14 PM   #196
Princess Proofreader

Hi!
What a wonderful time with DD!!!
I miss her already!

We're in Denver tonight, then an early flight tomorrow and a 2 hour drive home.

I tried to eat 'fairly" well all week, but I haven't been able to weigh . . .
So Tuesday may be a shock!

TTYL!
Old 07-15-2012, 11:03 PM   #197
Senior LCF Member

Love hearing about your trip, Mary Kay! We certainly don't want to weigh while traveling, maybe not even for a few days after. So glad you are having such a great time.

I think I did better on the fat today. That sounds weird. I had roast chicken at the Greek restaurant for lunch, with the skin, then put butter on the leftovers. I still can't get over being so opposite of the usual recommended dietary guidelines. "I can't seem to get enough fat in my diet" would not go over well with my primary care doc!
Old 07-16-2012, 09:20 AM   #198
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JessBunny
Stats: 370/288/150
WOE: EFGT & Wheat Free
Start Date: 9/1/11
MK: Congrats on the mountain climbing, that is an accomplishment to be proud of!

Serena: It will all get easier with time and practice. I have formed my own list of hidden wheat sources that I have learned by trial and error. Some of this depends on how sensitive you are to wheat. I unfortunately get hives at even the slightest hint of the stuff.

1. Processed Meats- beware of any meat that is no longer in its ďnaturalĒ form i.e., lunch meat, bacon, hot dogs, sausage, and anything that comes from a deli case. Deli counters can be a source of contamination if the equipment is not sterilized before they cut your items. You can ask them to sterilize before they cut your items or avoid the counter and buy pre-packaged. I just buy pre-packaged at this point, faster and easier. Oscar Myerís line is almost all gluten free and easily available (stay away from baloney, thereís something about the way itís made that it usually contains wheat/ wheat byproducts). Read the labels on all hotdogs/bacon/sausage. Iíve had problems with bacon and hotdogs so I now get organic certified gluten free bacon and hotdogs. My preferred brand is applegate but I donít know how widely they distribute.

2. Salad Dressings- Like MK said itís in many things. Lots of salad dressings contain wheat, be very diligent with label reading. I find wishbone to be the brand that has the most gluten free options. This can also be problematic when eating out, check with staff or on restaurant websites for their list of gluten free items. Ranch or oil/vinegar are usually the safest choices if you canít get a confirmation. I often take my own with me if I have doubts or donít like the wheat free options offered.

3. Spice Mixes Ė Read the labels, most are fine but not all of them. Or mix up your own mixes.

4. Sauces Ė Any sauce can contain wheat. Spaghetti, pizza, barbecue, gravies, catsup, hot sauces, cheese sauces. Read labels carefully.

5. Vitamins and Protein Powders- I know it seems weird but wheat can show up in both items.

6. Booze Ė MK already mention vodka, beer is a major wheat source but there are a few gluten free ones. Pre-made mixes can be a bit of a toss-up, they may or may not be ok. Always check, and if you donít know for sure just pass on it.

7. Eating out Ė Iím getting better but this can still be a challenge for me. The best thing is to decide ahead of time and research before you go. Most restaurants list there allergens on their website but if you have questions call before you go. I typically know exactly what I am going to order before I sit down. Always tell the waiter your allergies, if they donít know they canít help you.
Old 07-16-2012, 11:21 AM   #199

Hi gals..

So glad you are having fun, MKay..Vacations aren't for worrying about weight, it will come off when you get home..

Serena: I love roast chicken..and I love Greek restaurants..Sounds wonderful..

Thanks, Jess for the update on where wheat could be hiding...

Did my Slow Burn, had Bible Study, got Brett's other tire replaced, ate lunch out (Egg salad on a salad),...I'm done for the day..
Old 07-16-2012, 01:32 PM   #200

I made a batch of almond butter bread today. I think I might've baked it a little too long. I made it in muffin top pans so I was sure how long. I did have one for a sandwich for lunch and we're having burgers for dinner. Yum!!
Carolyn, have you made the hamburger bun recipe from Widget? If so, what do you think?

MK, I bet with all the activity you did you won't even have a gain. Last time we went to Estes Park we were so active every day that I don't think I even gained anything and I wasn't even very careful. Remember, that was my brave white water rafting trip, lol. I told DH not to expect any courageous acts this time; just a nice relaxing vacation. We are going to Ride the Pass though where we ride bikes from one pass over to another. They swear it's for beginners, I guess we'll see. I'm glad to hear you had a great time.
Old 07-16-2012, 01:39 PM   #201
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Helpful list, Jess, thanks.

Sandy now I'm going to have to search for that recipe. It sounds good. Is it the one from Widget? Or another?

Mary Kay I agree with Sandy - you have probably been so active you have no worries.

We went rafting in Colorado last year with my sister, bil and my cute 83-yr-old mother. She thinks that was probably her last time to do that.
Old 07-16-2012, 02:13 PM   #202

Hmmm...Let me check the recipe about the hamburger buns..I do need to try the almond butter bread..and put it in muffin top pans is a great idea..They do cook faster in those pans..Enjoy.
Old 07-16-2012, 02:47 PM   #203

This is the recipe I made today.
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...l#post15711985

I want to make the low carb hamburger buns by Widget next.
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...l#post15046862

Last edited by sjl330; 07-16-2012 at 02:49 PM..
Old 07-16-2012, 02:52 PM   #204

I am going to make the almond bb, but using almond flour/oil to make the "butter" like Barbo did..
Old 07-16-2012, 02:53 PM   #205
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thank you so much!!

You know, now that you post it, I have made those hamburger buns by Widget. They have a great texture, but I didn't have my muffin top pan yet, so they spread and were thin -- too thin to slice in half. So I got 6 "buns", all thin, but I'm hoping I got my calorie count wrong - seemed like around 242 for each of the six buns. I will re-do my calculations, but they are definitely worth having in the freezer - no excuse to have wheat bread with those.
Old 07-16-2012, 03:13 PM   #206

I had some almond butter on hand so I just used it. I think I'd be afraid to make my own. How would you know how much oil/water to add? I like the idea of the buns b/c I think she said the battter is more liquid and spreads easier. I usually don't miss bread too much but I sure have wanted toast lately and a bun for my burger! I have a feeling that my cheat eating at the lake woke up one of my little monsters, lol. I need to work on putting it back to sleep.
Old 07-16-2012, 04:18 PM   #207
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Somebody on that thread said they used about 1-1/2 cups blanched almond flour and drizzled oil into it while in the food processor. I think they said about 1-2 Tbsp. of oil.
Maybe "good enough" is good enough. Don't know.

My little monsters are mostly quiet until exactly as you describe - going out of my routine, seeing how the others eat, etc.... shhhhhh little monsters. shhhhhh
Old 07-16-2012, 04:22 PM   #208

I think 2 Tbs. would be about right on the oil...You just have to eyeball it, I guess..I know that real almond butter is quite thick, isn't it? Don't have any locally, so I will use my "flour"..

Hmmm...on the Widget recipe..She uses pork rind flour and I still detect some porky flavor when I use it in a recipe..
Old 07-16-2012, 05:01 PM   #209
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Yes, I bought some almond butter at a health food store (the stuff I bought at wallie's was really horrible. Sort of rancid.). It's very good, but it was almost $10!
Once I saw that someone had made their own almond butter, I was much happier.

I noticed a faint porky flavor in my hamburger buns, but so faint I decided not to pay attention to it.

How many did you get from that recipe? And were they thick enough to cut in half?
Old 07-16-2012, 06:57 PM   #210
Princess Proofreader

I'm home!
And tired!
Thanks for all the love!

Judy - What was the brand you bought at the health food store?

Carolyn - I wondered about the pork rinds . . . and also the fact that she keeps regrinding everything!
Closed Thread