Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Eat Fat, Get Thin (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/eat-fat-get-thin/)
-   -   Help!! My head is swimming tooo much info (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/eat-fat-get-thin/773813-help-my-head-swimming-tooo-much-info.html)

mamalaw 06-06-2012 10:00 PM

Help!! My head is swimming tooo much info

New here and have lots of questions. I have read all the EFGT threads and my head is swimming. Our library doesn't have the book and I can't afford to buy it right now.
Going off of 1500 calories....
1) If I need 75-80 grams of protein how much is that in ounces?
2) How much is 108 grams of fat?
The carbs I get from doing low carb before but...
3) Do I need to do 20 carbs a day to get in ketosis and if I eat the higher carbs (40-50) won't that take me out of ketosis?
I may have read the answers to these questions and just missed them while tryng to take in everything I read, if so I'm sorry. :confused:
~Lisa

CarolynF 06-07-2012 05:26 AM

Hi Lisa,

Okay. 1. that is about 10-11 ounces in protein.
2. Each gram of fat has 9 calories, so that would be 972 calories worth of fat. Fat is in meats, dairy and oils, of course. It does add up fast.
3. That is a great question. I think starting at 20 carbs is always smart. And if that is working and you are losing well, you might increase it to 25 a day, etc..

Basically, EFGT is all about not overeating protein. You want your energy from fat, not protein. More fat than protein..

This is what Barry says in his book..and all ketogenic diets are based on this theory..
Fat burner, not sugar burner..:)

mamalaw 06-07-2012 11:19 AM

Carolyn thank you :thanks: so much for your quick answer that helps a lot. I'm going to give this a try.
~Lisa

CindyCRNA 06-07-2012 03:58 PM

Mamalaw, also an on-line calorie tracking tool would help tremendously like ******.com, which is free.

mamalaw 06-07-2012 05:32 PM

Cindy, Thanks I started a ****** account last night. I've been using *********** but I am going to use ****** too. I like the graph.

CindyCRNA 06-07-2012 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mamalaw (Post 15710273)
Cindy, Thanks I started a ****** account last night. I've been using *********** but I am going to use ****** too. I like the graph.

And it is a perfect tool when you are tracking calories or grams or percentages.

rotay60 06-20-2012 11:51 AM

I don't get your conversions. When I google grams to ounces, it says that 1 ounce is equal to 28.35 grams. For instance, is says that 75 grams = 2.64 ounces. What am I doing wrong?

CarolynF 06-20-2012 03:52 PM

Okay..My dh and I had that discussion the other night on protein and grams..

Protein has water in it so when you weigh it we count the water. One ounce of pure dehydrated protein is 28.35 grams..(That is alot of chicken meat)..

When we say 3 ounces of protein has 21 grams of protein we are counting the water in the protein..

Does that make sense? It is best to go by a nutrition guide/or ******..

rotay60 06-21-2012 11:02 AM

Thank you, much clearer.