Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Eat Fat, Get Thin
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-25-2012, 06:04 PM   #211
Princess Proofreader

Gallery: TuscanGirl
Stats: Sad/Happy/Wow 5'
WOE: Something like GL and LC and . . . .
Start Date: July 2003

Sponsored Links
Old 06-25-2012, 06:27 PM   #212
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: JMCM1
WOE: EFGT wheat free (grain free)
Start Date: June 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmh1007 View Post
Hello all, I have spent the afternoon reading up on EFGT and I'm ready to adjust my eating a bit and join your club! I have been doing Atkins for a few weeks and I'm not going anywhere. I miss my vegetables and I want some fruit. I have been keeping my carbs around 20 and I'm not losing anything so I feel like I need to adjust. This seems to make more sense to me.

My name is Jane. I live just south of Kansas City and work at a hospital downtown. I'm on the Missouri side though. I have lost around 45 lbs in the last year using a combination of clean eating and lower carb/calorie. It's much harder now because I am officially in menopause now (finally!). That's really what pushed me to lower carb. Thanks for all the info!
Hi Jane

I'm very new here, too. I am happy to meet you. These are wonderful people here - very welcoming.
Old 06-25-2012, 08:34 PM   #213
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: CarolynF
Stats: 195/141/139
WOE: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Start Date: January 2001
Hi Jane..

Welcome to menopause...LOLOL..My dd lives in Armour Hills..Is that near you? Cindy is from KCity and Sandy lives in Lenexa area..Welcome, welcome..
Old 06-26-2012, 05:00 AM   #214

Gallery: sjl330
Stats: 184/141/140 5'7"
WOE: EFGT-Barry Groves
Start Date: January 2003
Hi all and welcome to all newbies.
I've been MIA for a few days. My youngest granddaughter had to have surgery Friday and is still in the hospital. They're having a hard time getting her pain under control. And I got sick Friday and have been fighting this stuff for 4 days now. Finally feel quite a bit better today but I'm going to try not to over do it today as we have dinner theater tonight.

It's been sooooo hot here it's unbearable. I feel so sorry for all those people who have to work outside.

DH went back to his Dr. Friday and she told him whatever you're doing keep on doing it!! He told her about Wheat Belly and gave her info on the ProFibe and HeartSavior. She was very curious where we got it and where we heard about it. She said she needs to read Wheat Belly. Well, ya!!! I got the audio version for DH at our library and he finished it Sunday night. He really enjoyed it too!

At the beach.... time you enjoyed wasting, is NOT time wasted. TS ELLIOT
Old 06-26-2012, 05:20 AM   #215
Princess Proofreader

Morning!
Sorry I've been MIA too.
So much going on - and now I'm trying to tweak my eating.

I've been happy with EFGT for such a long time, but I'm having IBS symptoms and with my high cholesterol I'm trying to increase my fiber, which of course means adding more carbs . . . . .

If only there was one perfect diet . . . .

OK - catch me up!
What's going on?

Carolyn - Thanks for loving my dress on FB!
Old 06-26-2012, 07:44 AM   #216
Major LCF Poster!

Hello!

Hi Mary Kay - are you also off wheat?
I feel like that person who has a hammer in their hand - I'm going to find a lot of nails!

I think not eating wheat, together with increasing my fat intake, and obviously lowering carbs has been such a big deal for me (said the person who has been eating this way for the entire length of time starting June 4! ).

It's all tweaking, it seems. I agree - if only there were one perfect diet...
Old 06-26-2012, 08:00 AM   #217
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Buffy45
Stats: Type 2 Diabetic as of 6/1/08
WOE: LC/MP/HF
Start Date: Restart 9/3/2012
Morning!

Welcome Jane, glad to have you in our little social group and we sometimes even talk about EFGT.

Judy, been telling my DD's about eliminating wheat and now one of them wants to read Wheat Belly, the book they laughed and laughed about when they saw it at my house in December She has a terrible snoring problem and asked if it might help that? I had told her about you and how you were doing on it and had mentioned that you were sleeping well, I think that was you any way.

Was going to have Bobby (4) and Ava (2) come to spend the night Wed. night but their schedules are so full that I decided to just go visit them Wed. evening. They live just far enough away that it isn't convenient to just run them back and forth to their house without some extra time.

DH having to work a lot in this heat, worries me at his age.

Man, I have been on a tuna salad kick lately, just loving it, but I have to have the albacore tuna, so always looking for it on sale.

Sandy, great news about your DH's recent Dr. visit!
Old 06-26-2012, 08:50 AM   #218
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: jmh1007
Stats: 206/164/135
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: April 2012
Thanks for the welcome everyone.

Carolyn, Armour Hills is north of us. Actually, everything is north of us, we are on the very southern edge of the metro area. It's funny there are so many close to here.

I am upping my carbs by quite a bit, more than double what I have been doing but still less than 50. I'm trying to make sure to break them up so I am having around 15 per meal and balancing out everything. I'm kind of flying by the seat of my pants here because I haven't got the book yet. I really want to just find something I can be comfortable with and still lose about 25 more lbs. I have eliminated wheat as much as possible and sugar as much as possible.

What kind of exercise do you all do? I have pretty bad arthritis in my knees so I am slightly limited. I do lots in the pool. Last night was Aqua Zumba and tonight is Aqua Cardio Kickboxing. I swim some, walk the dog, and work on my strength/toning every day.
Old 06-26-2012, 09:49 AM   #219

I walk the dog. That's about it, lol. So your routine sounds great! I did go to a gym but after having surgery on my knee it's been hard to get re-motivated. Maybe after summer I'll start up again.

I think your carb plan sounds great! And I think you'll do great on this plan. After awhile it just comes to you 2nd nature. I guess that's when it becomes a lifestyle rather than a diet.

I'm sitting here waiting for the refrigerator repairman. He called and of course he's going to be late! Ugh. If I'd known that earlier I could've went to run some errands. Now I probably won't have time by the time he leaves. Our water dispenser quit dispensing! And we miss it!!

While I've been sick I was drinking quite a bit of iced tea. It was decaf but strangest thing. My acid reflux came back with a vengeance! DH thinks it might be the antibiotics but it sure makes me wonder??? I'm back on straight water today & I'll see if it's better by tonight.
Old 06-26-2012, 09:59 AM   #220

Hi guys..

Just picked some squash in my friend's garden..yellow and green..

Sandy: Wow...a doctor that listens and wants to learn is a good thing..
Yikes on your reflux..I think it is the acid in the tea...It happens to my dh when he overindulges in anything with "acid"..o.j., Coke, etc..So sorry you were sick..That is no fun..Praying for your dgd and her surgery that everything is in God's hands.

MK: Can you eliminate wheat? Many IBS problems are caused by wheat as are cholesterol problems, according to Dr. Davis (author/heart doctor)..

Jane: Sometimes it is good to experiment with upping the carbs 5 a day and see if you are still losing..For exercise, I go to Curves and have started doing a Slow Burn regime twice a week..Honestly, I can feel muscles in my arms now..LOL>

Buffy: Your poor dh working in this heat..Have fun with the grandkids.. and I love tuna salad, too...

Judy: it is all about tweaking..especially for women, I'm afraid and most of us aren't 20 anymore and that makes a huge difference.

Old 06-26-2012, 10:01 AM   #221
Princess Proofreader

Old 06-26-2012, 10:02 AM   #222

Finally!!!!! DGD went home today!!! So things are looking better every day for her. Hopefully she'll recuperate quickly and have a little bit of summer left to enjoy.
Thanks for the prayers everybody.
Old 06-26-2012, 12:57 PM   #223
Major LCF Poster!

Oh Mary Kay I love Nataliedee! She is quite vulgar, though! She and her husband had a child a little over a year ago and I keep wondering if she'll clean up her mouth before her daughter repeats that stuff!

Sandy what great news about your dgd! We will keep praying for her continued recovery. I am sorry about your reflux. I take an omeprazole every morning. I am hoping that after awhile with this woe and coconut oil and no wheat I might be able to taper down, then eventually get off of it entirely. But not yet.
I'm with Carolyn - I think it's the acid in the tea, but as you said, antibiotics can really mess up my gut. Something I started doing several months ago was taking a probiotic every day.

Carolyn - too right. I weary of my husband ever wanting to lose a little weight. He skips lunch and he'll lose 10 pounds.

Jane, I swim about 4 mornings/week. I work at home so I am very glad for the social aspect as well as the feeling I'm lighter than air for an hour!

Buffy I don't know if it was me - but I do sleep well. I have noticed FAR fewer warm flashes and I do sleep well - but was sleeping well anyway, I think.

At swimming this morning I was preaching to another swimming friend about wheat and the low-fat lie. Her husband is an MD. All she did was nod in agreement. She just said it was too big a lifestyle change right now for her and her husband. I completely understand that. I had a false start, then after months and months lurked for weeks gathering recipes and thinking how I could tweak my life. I'm glad I waited until I was ready.

I think she also worried I'd begin to tell her about my Lord, so she just quickly agreed with me!

Her friend (and mine from swimming) just couldn't grasp eating more fat, and eating saturated fat! *GASP* We have been well-taught in seemingly mostly wrong things, haven't we?
Old 06-27-2012, 11:16 AM   #224

Hi ladies..

Yeah for your dgd going home.. Praying that she will enjoy the rest of the summer, too..

Judy: It's like talking to a wall sometimes..Maybe you could loan her Wheat Belly? LOL..

Had lunch with a friend after exercising..Now doing laundry..Will babysit at church tonight while dh is working on the parsonage..They are coming tomorrow night, so there is one more day..LOL

I was 152 this morning..I've been there before, though..
Old 06-27-2012, 03:10 PM   #225
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: DebbyL
Stats: 168/130/128
WOE: Maintenance
Start Date: WtLoss->Sept11-Oct12->Maint.
I girls,
Things are going well?
Had a sticky situation at work today... 2 birthdays in our staff, so the pastor bought a beautiful cheese-cake. & set places with orange juice for each of us... nothing I could eat, or drink... it was so awkward. One of the birthday people was me... I took a piece for my hubby & thanked them, but couldn't help feeling rotten, because I think it was disappointing for the pastor. I explained that it would be impossible to get me something to eat... I take my own food everywhere.
I've been going over & over it in my mind, trying to think of what I could have said that would have lightened it up... maybe its just me... they all laughed it off when I apologized. sigh...
Don't know. I never eat off my diet. I'm wondering if I'm being "selfish" by doing that? My husband sometimes tells me we're supposed to eat what's put before us... but he wouldn't of wanted me to eat cheesecake either (I don't think).
On another note... its encouraging to find so many Christians on this board!
Old 06-27-2012, 04:00 PM   #226
Major LCF Poster!

Hi Debby I'm Judy,

I think it might be time to elevate yourself to the status you would probably easily give to others.

I have a good friend with Celiac's - he cannot have wheat. He has a disease with a name.

I choose not to have wheat and I choose not to have sugar, so I don't have a disease with a name, but I bet you would allow me my choices.

I think you could call it selfish, but I think you are better off naming it something else. Something that will keep you here and healthy to help the people in your life you love and who love you.

I know this doesn't take the awkwardness out of that particular situation. I just think you might be able to think of it differently. You deserve to be able to choose the food that's best for you. In fact you would not be authentic if you didn't.

Praying for strength for all of us!
Old 06-27-2012, 05:51 PM   #227
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMCM1 View Post
Hi Debby I'm Judy,

I think it might be time to elevate yourself to the status you would probably easily give to others.

I have a good friend with Celiac's - he cannot have wheat. He has a disease with a name.

I choose not to have wheat and I choose not to have sugar, so I don't have a disease with a name, but I bet you would allow me my choices.

I think you could call it selfish, but I think you are better off naming it something else. Something that will keep you here and healthy to help the people in your life you love and who love you.

I know this doesn't take the awkwardness out of that particular situation. I just think you might be able to think of it differently. You deserve to be able to choose the food that's best for you. In fact you would not be authentic if you didn't.

Praying for strength for all of us!
Thanks Judy
I appreciate your encouragement.
I wanted to mention my diet, but there's always the fine line of boring people with the details...
Old 06-27-2012, 08:08 PM   #228

Hi ladies..

Debby: You go, girl...I'm so proud of you for "Just saying No..thank you." The more you do it, the easier it gets..Honestly, no one should be eating sugar..LOL..Someday you need to bring a SF cheesecake for the crowd.. I always make a diabetic (LC) dessert at church dinners because we have diabetics in our church and very few peeps think of them..

Just tell them that you don't eat "white stuff"..LOL..

HOT..HOT...
Old 06-27-2012, 08:12 PM   #229
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Buffy45
Stats: Type 2 Diabetic as of 6/1/08
WOE: LC/MP/HF
Start Date: Restart 9/3/2012
Quick drive by hello!

Crazy busy today for some reason, hope I have time to post more tomorrow.
Old 06-27-2012, 08:13 PM   #230

See you tomorrow, Buffy...Night..
Old 06-27-2012, 10:10 PM   #231
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolynF View Post
Hi ladies..

Debby: You go, girl...I'm so proud of you for "Just saying No..thank you." The more you do it, the easier it gets..Honestly, no one should be eating sugar..LOL..Someday you need to bring a SF cheesecake for the crowd.. I always make a diabetic (LC) dessert at church dinners because we have diabetics in our church and very few peeps think of them..

Just tell them that you don't eat "white stuff"..LOL..

HOT..HOT...
Thanks Carolyn! That's a good one! "white stuff" if only I can remember it when I need it!

But cook?.... not me... LOL I retired from cooking long ago!
Old 06-28-2012, 12:58 PM   #232

Hi gals..

Exercised..shopped at Wallie and lunch with a friend..We are in charge of the moving
pizza party tonight for the new pastor who is driving from Houston today. I got some watermelon and it is cut up and cooling in the church fridge, we are having Pizza Hut make the pizzas, then I got some WalMart cookies..LOL..So, I will eat before I go..

I was 151 today..I hate to say this because I know I will be bouncing up tomorrow..

Yup, no one can argue with you that "sugar" is a good thing..LOL..

I'm sure everyone is HOT where they are..
Old 06-28-2012, 02:10 PM   #233
Major LCF Poster!

I wish they had a "hot" smilie! At least that guy is wearing sunglasses.

Carolyn I hope your new pastor appreciates the welcome - it sounds very nice to me.

I threw out my back yesterday for the first time in my life. I have more empathy for those with back trouble. Mine is just a muscle spasm, though.
I am 75% better today and expect to be even better tomorrow. Boy howdy I am walking and sitting carefully. I just turned just the wrong way. BLAM!
But I am much better.

I lost a couple of pounds after eating out on Monday and it did go back up. Fluctuations happen and I'm so happy eating this way I wouldn't care if I didn't lose another pound. But my calorie count is going from 1000 - 1200 so I'm sure it's salt, or who knows what. Or back pain adds weight! HA!
I'm in for the long run.

Sandy how is your dgd doing?
Old 06-28-2012, 02:26 PM   #234

Hi...

Judy: Inflammation can cause weight gain because the blood/water goes to that area..
I don't know what I would do without my chiro..
Old 06-28-2012, 02:32 PM   #235
Major LCF Poster!

Yesterday I didn't know how I would get into or out of my car, much less sit in my hairdresser's chair, but you can bet I did not miss that appointment - color and cut!

Everyone there was SO kind and I left with the card of a chiropractor. If I don't keep moving in the right direction, I will not hesitate to visit him.

My dd has had horrible back problems for 2 years. My dh and I are ignorant of all that and she's navigated her bulged disc and sciatica mostly alone. She is finally at a chiropractor and I think is improving. After the last 2 days I can tell you I would be rattling (weakly) the gates of heaven to get this pain handled.
Old 06-28-2012, 03:13 PM   #236

I have a chronically bad back so I feel your pain Judy. Ice can really be your friend although you usually think a heat pad works best. I get more relief from icing than heating, but I always think I want the heat pad. Lol, old ways die hard I guess. And I love my chiro!! I can't maintain without seeing him once in a while.
My DGD is doing a little better every day. Still a little shaky getting around but I told her she'll feel better every day and before she knows it she'll be back to her sweet smiling self.

109.2 here today on my house thermometer! It's on the north side of the house out of the sun too. Too hot!!! How did we ever manage without A/C???

Carolyn, have you ever read A Walk in the Woods? It's about 2 guys who hike the Appalachian Trail. Pretty good and part of the book goes into a lot of detail about the New Hampshire part of it. I thought of you when I was reading it.
Old 06-28-2012, 03:28 PM   #237
Major LCF Poster!

Ah, glad to hear about dgd, Sandy.

And that was my dd's first advice- get out the ice pad you usually keep for me!

I need all the advice I can get.

And 109.2 is way way way too high.
Old 06-28-2012, 05:36 PM   #238
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Saw a naturopath today.

Well, that went really well! happy

Lots of affirmation on my diet & supplements. Tested for everything under the sun... and my thyroid is pretty much under control. The adrenals, however are tanked... so she gave me dissiccated Adrenal & licorice to take twice a day.

Unfortunates, for me... no milk products... the Iso-whey & 1/4 cup cottage cheese are the only "milk" I eat, but they have to go. Eggs are out. My sunflower seeds have to go... and all "chemicals" that I use for my coffee.... So, I'm going to try coconut or almond milk. These were just some weird things the "my" body rejects... not to do with thyroid, but she said it would help my adrenals to get rid of the things that showed up as bad for me... also asked if I could "try" to cut back on my coffee, but I don't have to cut it out. We'll see about that... I might not even enjoy it anymore, after taking all the good taste out of it! laugh

Anyway, she gave me a big thumbs up on the gluten-free diet, the coconut oil, selenium, Vitamin D3. And encouraged me to start eating a variety of vege's & meats... (rather then moose 2 x a day).

She also said that almonds are not bad for thyroid, nor the goitrogens if they are cooked.

So, tomorrow I'l get my TSH levels checked & get copies of all my tests from the Dr next week, to take back to her... she will then consider putting me on a small dissicated thyroid, a small dose, if she thinks I need it. Because she said my liver is having trouble with some "conversion" thing... sorry, I forget.

I'm so glad I went! laugh
Old 06-28-2012, 07:08 PM   #239

Hi ladies..

No, I will have to read A Walk in the Woods..When I was a kid, I climbed a few mountains in NH..They have great trails on most of the mountains up there.. Glad your dgd is doing well.

Wowza, Debby..That must have been an interesting appointment..How did she know your adrenals were in the tank?

Everything went fine with the pastor moving in..The dogs were happy to get out of the van..LOL..They liked the paint job we all did, so that is a good thing..

Ice is good for your back...Honestly, I would get to a chiro for sure..Sometimes the longer you wait, the longer it takes to get "back" in shape backwise, Judy..I had a herniated disc 28 years ago..After my procedure to get it back in, my chiro is my best friend..I go once a monthly faithfully to get a tune-up.
Old 06-28-2012, 07:38 PM   #240
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolynF View Post
Wowza, Debby..That must have been an interesting appointment..How did she know your adrenals were in the tank?
It was very interesting, as is the info she gave me to read. She had a machine that sent an electric current through me & tested me for hundreds of things. Pretty high-tech. Very thorough examination & consultation.

Happy for you, getting your painting finished!
Closed Thread