Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Eat Fat, Get Thin
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-29-2012, 02:25 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Lynn4
New Here -- Need Help

Hello!

I have been reading voraciously about low carb diets here at Low Carb Friends. I also purchased a book on the subject. I have gotten a lot of great information from this site.

I've been on a "diet" the past couple weeks and have cut the carbs. I immediately had success losing those stubborn pounds (which isn't many), but not as successful with my husband who needs to lose a considerable amount of weight. I know some of the problems and I'm working on those.

I'm trying to solidify numbers I need to work by so I can be consistent in his feeding. I had a limit of 1500 calories the first couple weeks (in which he lost a total of 2 pounds), and limited his carbs to 50 grams. That was before I started reading EFGT threads and started working on ratios this past week.

(He is 54 years old, 5'10" and 228, would like to get him down to 200 pounds).

After posting I thought I should add that he is 54 years old, 228 and 5'10". My initial goal for him is to get down to 200 lbs.
I visited a site recommended by one of the Low Carb Friends that has a calculator. This is what I got entering my husbands stats:

TO LOSE 2 lb PER WEEK:
To lose 2 lb a week safely decrease your daily intake to 1,252 calories.
You have decided to eat 35 grams of carbohydrate a day. This is 6.2% of your total caloric intake.
Required Protein Intake: 169 grams of high quality protein.
This would be supplied by: 28.1 ounces or 787 grams of a high quality protein food like meat, fish, eggs, or cheese, which typically contain 6 grams of protein.
These recommendations are based on the fact that you are eating a ketogenic diet with an intake of 35 grams of carbohydrate a day. As you are not eating enough glucose to supply the needs of your brain, the amount of protein recommended by this calculator includes an extra 86 grams of protein. This extra protein will be used to synthesize glucose needed by your brain.

Note: Keep in mind that your requirement for protein will drop by about 60 grams (10 ounces of protein-rich food) after several weeks when your brain begins burning ketones in place of some of the glucose it needs. Come back to check how much protein you need to eat then.

Maximum Fat Intake: 49 grams
For every 1 gram of protein you eat over 169 grams of protein, reduce your fat intake by .5 grams to stay within the calorie limits compatible with your weight loss goal.
Do not lower your fat intake below 15 grams, which is 30% of total calories.

I have already exceeded his Max Fat intake by 20 grams today. I was operating under the impression that I could feed him fat without worrying how much as long as I kept him within the calorie limit and the recommended ratios. Is there something I'm missing? I got the impression that I don't have to worry about fat grams with all the aforementioned considerations. So, I'm kinda stuck now. I've got a balance of 384 calories for the rest of his day, which I can do except if it's fat free, he's probably gonna be hungry not long after he eats supper--and pretty grouchy! (Makes for a long painful evening).

If I have to stick to the above, I don't think he's gonna feel like this diet is any different than any other calorie restricted diet and he's gonna be a bear through his weight loss process. Oh and, he's not exercising right now as he is working so much he is barely making all his deadlines. It will be a couple weeks before he gets back to walking a few times a week. I appreciate your help and support.

Last edited by Lynn4; 05-29-2012 at 02:41 PM.. Reason: Add information
Lynn4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-29-2012, 02:50 PM   #2
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: CarolynF
Stats: 195/141/139
WOE: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Start Date: January 2001
What????? This calculator is not a LC one..

His percentages should be 20-25 percent protein/60-65 percent fat/the rest veggie carbs.
That is the ketogenic diet..He needs to get his energy from fat..not the protein.

For a guy, he probably could take in 100-120 grams of protein (pure protein). And..he definitely should keep his calories 1800-2000 and see how that works for him. Honestly, many men can eat more, but they exercise a lot, so see how he does on 2000, keeping in mind that he needs green veggies/salads..and avoid grains like the plague as well as sweet fruit.

HTH

Use www.******.com to keep track of everything..

CarolynF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 08:14 PM   #3

Lynn: I would start with 20 to get him into ketosis..Do a 2 week induction and he will be dropping weight like crazy. No fruit on this for 2 weeks..

But, then you can start adding some things and see how that goes. Do a search for Atkins Carb Ladder and it will guide into what you should add and when.
Old 05-29-2012, 08:24 PM   #4
Junior LCF Member

Carolyn, thanks so much for your guidance! I feel confident now going forward. Can't wait to get him on track!
Old 05-29-2012, 09:37 PM   #5

Hope that helped..Guys can lose so fast if they don't cheat..The key is to stay in the fatburner mode. If a person overeats carbs one day, it takes them 4 days to get back in ketosis..Sad, but true..
Old 05-29-2012, 09:54 PM   #6
Junior LCF Member

I did talk to him about that (cheating)--he gives the dog a piece of apple every night--I've seen a piece go in his mouth before! I reiterated to him this evening how important it will be for him to be committed these next couple of weeks and how eating (carbs) can set him back nd stall his weight loss. I had to get a bit scientific with him so he can appreciate the mechanics of it so it's not just a matter of "I said so". He seems to get it. He seems to be ready.
Old 05-30-2012, 11:04 AM   #7

Hurrah...Really, it is so important to understand the science..

Do you have Netflix??? You can watch FatHead together..It explains everything toward the end..How insulin/carbs work, etc..
Old 06-26-2012, 09:14 AM   #8
Junior LCF Member

Update on progress

I'm back with an update on how it is going with my husband. I weigh him on Tuesdays and today he was up .4 (on Tanita) which is no biggie, but I had to hide the fact to him that he didn't actually lose. I explained it didn't mean he didn't (from all the info I gleaned from "stalled" threads, and I do think he LOOKS like he has lost some--seat of pants, neck/chin, upper body looks less puffy. But...I wanna double check with you guys. He's lost 2 lbs. 9.6 oz in the last 4 weeks (doing induction method), which is 10.4 oz on average. Granted, he probably lost his water weight before I started weighing him and before we went to low carb.

Started my spreadsheet with a beginning weight of 230, probably was higher but I didn't weigh him when we started with a lowered calorie diet.

9-15 May (14 May, 229.8) lower calorie diet of ~1500 calories
16-22 May (22 May, 228.2,) changed to low carb 30 total carbs per day, 1500-1600 calories
23-29 May (29 May 227.8, ) 30 total carbs per day, 1500-1600 calories
30-5 Jun (5 Jun, 226) induction week 1, 20 net carbs, 120 gr protein max, 1800-1900 calories
6-12 Jun (12 Jun, 223.8) induction week 2, 20 net carbs, 120 gr protein max, 1800-1900 calories
13-19 Jun (19 Jun, 223) induction week 3, 20 net carbs, 120 gr max protein, 1800-1900 calories
20-26 Jun (26 Jun, 223.4) induction week 4, 20 net carbs, occasional 1-2 over, 100 max protein. 1700 calories limit, I also worked to keep ratios in line. Below is last weeks breakdown:

Cal Fat Pro Carb fat pro carb

1728 142 85.5 17 74% 19% 7%
1646 133 86.7 18.7 71% 21% 8%
1469 117 76.9 17.3 72% 21% 7%
1764 133 113 15.4 68% 26% 6%
1560 117 93.6 16.7 68% 25% 7%
1725 136 99.7 17 71% 24% 5%

I've worked REALLY hard this past week following all the rules for induction to the letter. Ten or more net carbs from green vegetables and I lowered his protein some based on one of the recommended calculators and reading about protein/glucose. Watching the cream and cheese. Keeping him from being hungry by working in snacks (even on those lower calorie days, he wasn't going hungry). I did some nuts this week, but limited to 1/2 oz in one day. No purchased or prepared products. I weigh, calculate and prepare everything myself. But it seems like he did better previous weeks with me being less restrictive i.e. more cheese, cream and nuts. Though I only have a few vanity pounds I'm try to lose--it is going slowly, so I am responding as I expect to.

He still isn't exercising regularly. He did a day here and there on the treadmill for 30-45 minutes. He knows he needs to do this, I can't do it for him.

Anyway, just trying to supply as much info as possible. No big whoosh going over here and I made the mistake of leading him to believe he was going to have one He did say to me just minutes ago that he thought his face looked smaller, I was happy to hear that. I told him earlier it's not all about the scale--oh and measure the cream for the coffee the "I didn't use much" ain't gonna cut it, that's why he's gotten to where he's at !

Oh and I don't believe he cheating. He's working from home mostly and when he does go to the Uni, I send lunch or snack with him. I explained to him clearly how cheating will set him back.

Interested in hearing how we are doing. If there is anything more I can do I will!
Old 07-03-2012, 03:37 PM   #9

This looks great..Since he isn't terribly active, you might try to get the calories closer to 1500-1600 and see what happens..It also depends how old he is..Younger men lose faster than older men (like my dh)..

You are a good wife and he is a great husband to listen to you..
Old 07-03-2012, 03:54 PM   #10
Junior LCF Member

Thank you so much for your kind reply. We talked, I explained this to him earlier this week--either I will need to lower his calories or he will need to exercise regularly. He acknowledged he needs to commit himself and has started to exercise again. Exercise has always had to be part of his weight loss plan. I do think he is looking forward to seeing results in the coming weeks. I think it is great though (that he has had this time thus far to see how) he can 'diet' and not be hungry all the time. He's' my buddy