Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Eat Fat, Get Thin
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-14-2012, 12:05 PM   #91
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: CarolynF
Stats: 195/141/139
WOE: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Start Date: January 2001
Hi gang..

Still spinning from the cruise..This is pretty normal..

It is a laundry day for sure...

On the wheat thing..One man on the cruise loved pizza. Before LCing, he would have to eat Rolaids during the night if they had pizza for dinner. Three days after eliminating wheat, his GERD disappeared..A couple of weeks ago, had a piece of pizza and his GERD
returned that night..Interesting, huh? Jess: Checking labels for that hidden wheat is important, I think..LC tortillas, Carbquik, etc..are chock full of wheat..

I'm looking into Slow Burn by Fred Hahn..I had the book, but can't find it. He said that the ultimate exercise is resistance training..

So....I gained 3 pounds..Not bad for eating 3 big LC meals a day and a glass of wine at night..I'll have Gary weigh in tomorrow morning..LOL..

Off to do some laundry..

Sponsored Links
Old 05-14-2012, 01:37 PM   #92

Gallery: sjl330
Stats: 184/141/140 5'7"
WOE: EFGT-Barry Groves
Start Date: January 2003
Did you get seasick at all??? So glad you're back. It sure sounds like you had a great time and learned a lot. Did Gary enjoy all of it as well? Do you think he's a total convert now? I think my DH finally is. All the way!!
Old 05-14-2012, 02:53 PM   #93

Sandy...On Saturday, the boat was a little funky, but I didn't get seasick thanks to my dramamine and my special cream from the PA and my Seabands. PLUS, I sat in the back of the room during the speeches..Much more air circulating..Some peeps did get sick, but after meds they were fine. Yes, Gary enjoyed it..I think he is a total convert now..I was feeding him the Special K with protein..has wheat, so I'll throw it out. Making those sausage eggs for his breakfast this week.

On a cruise, there isn't much beachtime, so if you love, love the beach, it won't work for a person. There is tons of pooltime. Beach time happens when you land somewhere and take a cab to the local beautiful beach. We did that in Jamaica on a land tour to a private beach club. It was gorgeous.
Old 05-14-2012, 04:16 PM   #94
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: liteasabutterfly
Stats: 248/243/240.60/237.70
WOE: Atkins Induction 1st time
Start Date: 4/9/12
Hi...I started Atkins March 13, 2012....I am losing but very slowly I think...first time on Atkins....thought my #'s would be more, but I am still proud so far. Starting weight
248 now 238.30 as of this morning May 14, 2012. Glad I stumbled across this thread...very motivating....Love it!!!
Old 05-14-2012, 06:44 PM   #95
Always on, slightly off

Gallery: CindyCRNA
Stats: 152/132/121 Currently 120's lbs, 5'7" 51 years old
WOE: 35%/25%/45% (F,P,C 1850 calories/day)
Start Date: Raising carbs 1/10
Oh, Carolyn, that sounds like so much fun! I have never been to Jamaica!
Old 05-15-2012, 10:20 AM   #96

Lite: Yeah for you...

Cindy: The beach in Jamaica was beautiful, but it was a private beach club. I think the deal in Jamaica is that it is best to go to an inclusive place, like Sandals, or a resort because of the high crime on the island. Now, Cozumel felt really safe as it is a resort
island and you could walk around downtown and everyone was very friendly..The Caymans were extremely friendly and safe as most of the island has gorgeous condos/resorts/etc..for big bucks. Many banks, etc..

Down .5..LOL..Gary only gained one pound..We ate the exact same thing, but he is larger than me..
Old 05-15-2012, 11:02 AM   #97

I invited Karendfw from the cruise to join us..She markets wine in CA.. So, she will fit right in..LOL
Old 05-15-2012, 11:04 AM   #98

So Carolyn, do you think you learned anything totally new to you/LC or was it more review and validation for all the facts we already know?

I'd heard that about Jamaica before. We're so used to exploring all over now when we travel I don't think we'd like staying on a resort for a whole vacation. But to each his own.

I have wonderful news to report on DHs blood test results. His total chol has gone down from 203 to 134!! His HDL is still at 53!! Woohooo and his LDL is down to 70 from 134!! Also his trig dropped to 57 from 78. This is just from April 1 to May 12. He started taking ProFibe 4 weeks ago and added in HeartSavior 3 weeks ago. Plus just continuing to eat right. In January his numbers were:
TC 175
HDL 41
LDL 119
Trig 75

and last August they were:
TC 232
HDL 50
LDL 155
Trig 133

I sure hope that last test is correct! He's been working so hard to do this and has kept refusing the statins the Dr. keeps trying to push onto him. He'll get rechecked in about 6-8 weeks so I guess we'll see then.

At the beach.... time you enjoyed wasting, is NOT time wasted. TS ELLIOT
Old 05-15-2012, 11:06 AM   #99
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Karendfw
WOE: Low Carb/High Fat/Moderate Protein
Start Date: May 2012
How do I join the challenge?

Can someone tell me how to join the challenge? I want to be a part of this group because I understand there's a lot of motivation, inspiration, words of wisdom etc... all things I need!
Old 05-15-2012, 11:10 AM   #100

Sandy: It was basically what Dr. Atkins said in his books..You don't need carbs as long as your are in ketosis..Stay in ketosis for weight loss is the key..Go out and you won't lose. Find your CCLevel and stick with it.. I also agree with "exploring" the islands..We like to do that, too, not be stuck in one place. One time we got a free trip to Barbados..It was marvelous and we loved it.

That is wonderful about your dh, Sandy...Just wonderful...The experts were really concerned about the trigs..and his are perfect.. He won't need statins..and really shouldn't take them with those perfect numbers..
Old 05-15-2012, 11:10 AM   #101
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Karendfw
WOE: Low Carb/High Fat/Moderate Protein
Start Date: May 2012
found you... thanks for telling me about this site
Old 05-15-2012, 11:11 AM   #102

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karendfw View Post
Can someone tell me how to join the challenge? I want to be a part of this group because I understand there's a lot of motivation, inspiration, words of wisdom etc... all things I need!
Karen: Considered yourself "joined"..We love to have new friends..
You can post what you want to..If you want to post your menus, etc..exercise, etc..your daily weight and food challenges, we are here to help each other.
Old 05-15-2012, 11:12 AM   #103

Karen: Honestly, LCF's is the best site for LC there is..There are great recipes, etc..and other health information on this site and it is very easy to find..very easy..

Kent and Vanessa are on here, too.
Old 05-15-2012, 05:51 PM   #104
Princess Proofreader

Gallery: TuscanGirl
Stats: Sad/Happy/Wow 5'
WOE: Something like GL and LC and . . . .
Start Date: July 2003
Hi!
I survived the weekend of graduations!
So much fun!

Carolyn - glad you loved the cruise!!!!!!

Sandy - What is your DH doing for those great numbers - mine have been too high forever!

Karen & Lite!!
Old 05-15-2012, 06:02 PM   #105

One speaker said that if you eat carbs, those carbs can turn into small HDLs for 7 days in your blood..Yikes..

Brett liked his tee-shirt, hot sauce and Pirate cards..LOL..
Old 05-15-2012, 06:14 PM   #106

Question for my Bio-Identical Friends....

Do you guys use the creams? Which ones? I was talking with Dr. Mary Vernon from Lawrence, KS on the cruise and she recommended using the creams instead of the troche (under the tongue) that I am using...Just curious.
Old 05-15-2012, 06:49 PM   #107

Do you mean small LDLs Carolyn? I've heard that before.

I use the creams. Tried the troches years ago and hated them.

MK, he takes ProFibe 3x a day and HeartSavior. It's a supplement formulated by a cardiologist. Read about them and see what you think. I'd love to see how they work on you.
Old 05-15-2012, 09:23 PM   #108
Princess Proofreader

Thanks!!
Old 05-16-2012, 10:28 AM   #109

Hi Sandy...Yup the small LDLs increase with carbs. I guess there are fluffy LDLs that aren't bad for you cuz they don't stick to your arteries..???

Made an appointment for next week to switch to creams. I didn't want to do it over the phone and I need blood drawn too.

Sad...sad...a young mother of 3 (new baby, too) was killed today in a car crash..She was 26ish and went to our church..Soooooo sad...so very sad. So, please pray for the Pearson family. Since I am on the Deaconess Board, we will be doing the funeral dinner if they want one..She has a great husband and parents and grandparents who will fill in for her as best they can..
Old 05-16-2012, 11:18 AM   #110
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: got2doit
I am so sorry about your church member My heart goes out to that family and I will send up prayers for all.

I have been searching for the right place to get some support and help with losing my weight. I have been Lcarbing for about 2 1/2 years and it's not going well at all. I am a diabetic on 2 kinds of insulin and I have high bp and take 3 pills for it plus the HTCZ that I am pretty sure causes me to not do well. I have tried to go off the water pill and my dr had to put me back on it I have struggled and tried so hard and I feel so alone with this...I feel like no one understands that I have been eating right and I have tweaked just about everything that was suggested to me..I am interested in the EFGT if someone could help me with that i sure would appreciate it so much. My name is Michelle
Old 05-16-2012, 11:39 AM   #111

Oh Carolyn, that is just terrible. That poor family. It seems like there are so many tragedies in the news lately.
Yes, the big fluffy LDLs are not bad. But good luck getting any mainstream Drs. to listen to any of this. There really needs to be a giant revolution in the medical schools and USDA and FDA. Then maybe some things will start to change.

Welcome Michelle. What plan have you been doing lately? And how long? My biggest suggestion is read, read, and read some more and take charge of your own health care. See my comment above. The medical profession can be very discouraging with this type of eating. They still want us to eat 8-12 servings of grains a day and limit the fat to boot. Ugh.
Old 05-16-2012, 12:41 PM   #112
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JessBunny
Stats: 370/288/150
WOE: EFGT & Wheat Free
Start Date: 9/1/11
Carolyn: So sad about the young mother from your church, I値l keep her kids in my prayers.

MK: I知 glad you survived your super busy graduation weekend! I hope you got to enjoy at least some of the festivities with all that running around.

Welcome to our new people on the board!

Sandy: I agree that you can never read too much about LC. I just finished Wheat Belly recently and I think that may have been the most informative book I have read for a while. I just started Protein Power last night because I thought it sounded interesting. I doubt I知 going to get away from the EFGT plan because I like it and it痴 working for me but I figured it never hurts to learn more! After that I think I知 going to move on to some exercise/fitness books because I think I should learn more about that.
Old 05-16-2012, 01:27 PM   #113
Junior LCF Member

I am on Atkins (DANDR) All I do is read and that's how I came across this thread. I was hoping to be able to actually talk with people that are doing EFGT. I don't have the book yet but plan to order it soon. I tried to find more about it here but it was a short thread and I read it already. Thanks for your reply. I won't give up.
Old 05-16-2012, 01:42 PM   #114

Hi gang..

Went to church to work in the library and sweet Katie was driving to work and ran into the back of a slow moving truck.. Thanks for your prayers for her family..

Michelle: Posting a menu is very helpful for us. Many people overeat protein and don't know if that is your problem or not, but protein can act like carbs and our diets should be more fat than protein..Plus, you have a lot going on in your body. How much do you have to lose? Does the insulin help get your numbers down? Have you had your thyroid checked? Just some friendly questions here..
Old 05-16-2012, 02:06 PM   #115
Junior LCF Member

B-2 eggs fried in butter with 1 TBS added to it when done. 2 strips of bacon.
L-2 cups of lettuce with h-made dressing of SF mayo, mustard and bacon grease mixed together. 4 oz hamburger seasoned with salt and pepper only and I top the cooked hamburger with 1TBS coconut oil. and 4 olives.
D- will be 4 oz ribeye steak cooked in butter and topped with 1TBS coconut oil and salt and pepper. 1 cup of shredded cabbage cooked in butter S & P.
Snack 1 cup coffee with 1 TBS Torani SF syrup and 2 TBS heavy cream. 1 oz cream cheese mixed with 1 TBS butter and a little sprinkle of the SF flavored cherry jello for taste. I have been doing DANDR for a while now and just in the past couple of days decided to add lot's of extra fats in hopes that this would work for me. I don't over do the protein...I learned that months ago that I need to watch my protein. Does my menu look pretty good? I weigh 230 pounds and most of my adult life I have weighed around 190 and not until a little over 2 years ago did I gain up to 234 because of all my meds and insulin. I know it was my meds because I gained the weight in less than 2 months. I have had my thyroid checked. The longest I have stuck to atkins without falling off plan was 8 months. I lost about 17 lbs when I started and that was in the first 2 weeks and then nothing for the next 8 months...I then ate things off plan for a couple of months and gained my weigh back then decided to try it again only to do the same thing..I lose for a couple of weeks then it stops. I now average staying on plan for about 3 months before I give up and gain it back again. I know I shouldn't do that and I am not gonna do this anymore....No matter what I will stay on plan. But I really would like to find the way that will help me to lose weight also. I am a strong person and I can do this...I ran across a thread about eat fat get thin and I would really love to try that. I am not sure if my menu that I posted for you is right for that plan...Any help is greatly appreciated I am willing to read and do the work I need to do. I really want some support also. Thanks for any help
Old 05-16-2012, 03:20 PM   #116

Okay..If you added up your calories (we don't count calories, but they do count), I do believe that you are eating probably too many calories, probably in the form of fats.. That fat adds up so quickly, unfortunately. I think your protein is okay, but there is enough fat in hamburger, the butter you cook your eggs in without adding extra fat.

I would love to do a ****** on your plan..Let me do one and see how many calories you are eating...I have to aim for around 1500 calories or less..Women are different than men, unfortunately and have to tweak our plans until we get it perfect for us.

Old 05-16-2012, 03:38 PM   #117

Okay..I just did a ballpark figure on your foods..It seems as though you having over 2,000 calories a day, with about 1100 or so in added fat (not counting the fat in your meats). If you were losing great, then it would be your perfect plan, but since you aren't happy with this, I would cut back on the fat.

Cook your foods in butter or coconut oil, but don't add extra. Coconut oil is meant to replace the fats in our diet, not add to it. Lots of people learned this lesson the hard way. They would add 2 or 3 Tbs. of coconut oil and wonder why they weren't losing, so this might be your problem. I would try keeping my added fats to 500 calories or a bit more. Remember...remember that eggs, hamburger, and steak have lots of fat in them naturally and that counts, too.

I recommend joining ******..It is a great way to keep track of your fats/proteins/carbs to
get a true picture of what you are eating.. I know you can do it....

Old 05-16-2012, 04:11 PM   #118
Junior LCF Member

I just started all this fat a few days ago...I was told to up my fats so I did...I use fat secret. I was doing dandr just like you see my menu except for all the extra fat that you see I added...Do you know where I can find more info about the efgt diet? I have googled it and I know I need the book but it's not here yet and I would love to get more info on it. For some reason I made it to this thread from reading about the efgt thread and I thought that's what you all here were doing....I'm sorry If you know how to direct me to people like that I sure would appreciate it. Thanks for taking to the time to read my post and help me...Much appreciated.
Old 05-16-2012, 05:56 PM   #119
Princess Proofreader

Hi!

Still trying to get back on track.
Day to day is working!

Carolyn - How sad!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessBunny View Post

MK: I知 glad you survived your super busy graduation weekend! I hope you got to enjoy at least some of the festivities with all that running around.
I did! I tried to not think about what was coming and just enjoy it as it happened!

Michelle - ****** is a necessity at the beginning of EFGT.
Read the stickies at the beginning of these threads.

How tall are you?
Just because I'm a Shortie and we definitely need less calories.
Old 05-16-2012, 07:55 PM   #120

Michelle..EFGT is a reaction to those lowfat diets of years ago. So is the Atkins' plan.
Lowfat diets only included about 10 percent fat and lots of carbs, so they are/were unhealthy. On the EFGT plan there are some percentages that are recommended..25 percent of your calories should be protein/60-65 percent should be fat/10-15 percent carbs. This is ballpark. But when you eat an egg, there are 70 calories in an egg..7 grams of protein and about 6 grams of fat, so that has to be included in your percentage of fat for the day.

Barry Groves is the author and the book that is available is called "Natural Health and Weight Loss".

It is important to do ****** at first so you have an idea of what portion of your meat is protein and what portion is fat..

I think if you keep your total percentages in line and eat about 1500 calories you will do great..great...

Mary Kay..Glad you are getting back to normal...(whatever that is)..LOL
Closed Thread