Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Eat Fat, Get Thin
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-23-2012, 08:43 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Bernsy
WOE: Atkins/Gary Taubes
Need Help Losing

Hi everyone! I need help losing. I originally lost 46 pounds in 2005 doing a low carb / low fat doctor run program. I decided to switch over to Atkins late last year and have steadily been gaining!

I am wondering if there really is any truth to the 'you don't get fat from eating fat' statement that I keep reading. I have read Gary Taubes and Bill Davis (Wheat Belly) but have not read Eat Fat Get Thin.

I don't know what I am doing wrong. I have introduced coconut oil to my diet and cook my eggs in 1 tbsp every morning and also dinner along with 1 1/2 tbsp of olive oil on my salad for lunch.
Bernsy is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-24-2012, 08:36 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JessBunny
Stats: 370/288/150
WOE: EFGT & Wheat Free
Start Date: 9/1/11
Everyone's body is different, so what may work really well for some people doesn't work at all for others. If the low carb / low fat diet worked for your body that may be the method you need to lose weight. Also you may want to talk to your doctor about getting some blood work done just to check that everything is working right.

I personally eat a very high fat diet and it works for me but it's a slow process. I have recently eliminated wheat from my diet about 2 weeks ago but it hasn't been enough time for me to draw any conclusions about how wheat elimination effects my weight. I eliminated wheat as a method to determine a food allergy and not so much as a weight loss technique. You may need to try a few different programs until you find the one that works best for you. Atkins wasn't the right plan for me, I needed a higher amount of fat in my diet in order to lose and less of the processed treats and shakes and bars that often go with the Atkins plans. If you have read a couple of books about different plans you could try the one that you feel most comfortable with and see how you feel on it and if it helps you lose weight. Best of luck!
Old 04-24-2012, 11:33 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: scottieMike
Stats: 265/228/175
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: April 2011
It is unlike that eating fat makes you fat.

And for many people the number of carbs that causes them to not gain weight is fairly low ( 20-30 net grams/day ). Anything above that they either stop losing or gain.

You have not listed any statistics: age, gender, current weight, goal weight, height

Or how long you have been doing this diet

Or any diets -- a typical day of meals, water, etc Too little calories if often bad. Specific foods are bad.

Or other things that you ingest eg medications, alcohol, etc

Or what you mean be gaining weight eg 1 pound, 5 pounds, 2 pounds per week? There are lots of fluctuations in weight even when religiously following an give diet.

Without that this information is hard to advice.
scottieMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 03:08 PM   #4
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: CarolynF
Stats: 195/141/139
WOE: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Start Date: January 2001
Bernsy: Welcome..What exactly are you eating daily and how many calories/carbs?

I know peeps freak out about calories, but Atkins/EFGT is based on eating LC makes you fuller and you don't eat as much.

Keep track on ****** and you will get an idea on what you are eating..
CarolynF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 06:38 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

I use ******, here is my link Bernsy - free online diet and fitness journal.
I am female, 45yrs, 5'5". The last time I weighed myself at my doctor's office (I don't have a scale) I was 130. Although I realize that this is in the healthy range for me, I have been steadily putting on inches and no longer fit into my clothes. This leaves me feeling very badly about myself.

I have been low carbing since late 2004 and all of a sudden I'm gaining. Late last year, I switched to Atkins and introduced more natural fat into my diet because I think I had way too low on my fat intake and I was getting sick quite a lot. Now, I'm not sure what to do. I seem to eat between 1200 and 1500 cals/day and have been trying to keep fat% between 65-70%. I can't seem to get that loss of appetite that most people describe. Maybe the coconut oil is not right for me.

What is the difference between butter/olive oil and coconut oil. Coconut oil is supposed to be very good for you and even aid in weight loss but ....
Old 04-26-2012, 01:27 PM   #6

Hi Bernsy..Well, coconut oil is supposed to replace our other oils and good for our minds, skin, etc..

Your fat percentage looks good, and your calories are good..130 is a perfect weight..Wish I was there..LOL.

Well, it might be a hormone problem..Women tend to gain around their middle as they approach menopause and muscle is leaving the building as well.

I would try to keep it around 1200 and see what happens..Every year we age, the less calories we can eat, even LC ones..

Just looked at your ******..One tiny thing I noticed was that your protein levels were around 90-100 grams a day. Barry Groves says most women should keep their levels around
70-80 unless they have lots of muscles..Protein acts as carbs and will cause blood sugar levels to raise. Dr. Bernstein recommends starting out with 3-4 ounces per meal and see how it
goes.

Last edited by CarolynF; 04-26-2012 at 01:31 PM..
Old 04-27-2012, 08:08 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Thanks for your reply Carolyn! I want to stop the inches from coming back on, nothing fits! I'm so confused now because when I started this journey in 2004, I was eating low fat / low carb. Now everything I am reading talks about losing the 'low fat' thinking because 'fat does not make you fat'. Ok, so do I add more fat? I've read other threads here that talk about lowering protein to 80ish grams - HOW? How do you do that and not starve? What do I do?
Old 04-27-2012, 10:18 AM   #8

Hi Bernsy..

To lose successfully, it is a balance. If your carbs are low, then your fat can be high..say 65 to 70 percent, like you. If you are eating more carbs, then you need to lower your fat a tad (55-60).. Protein should be the same..20+ percentish.

With women, it can be a hormone imbalance that puts the inches on..Have you ever had your hormones tested? I had a complete hysterectomy, so I take bio-identical hormones to keep things balanced.

Do you ever take your blood sugar? A lot of LCer's take their blood sugar readings after they eat a certain food, etc..I do from time to time, too. You can buy a cheap glucometer at Wallies and some strips (which aren't cheap). Test your blood first thing in the morning..It should be less than 100.

I find when I eat fish, it doesn't fill me up very well compared to beef/pork/and chicken.
Maybe when you eat the fish, you need to be sure you are getting enough fat in that meal to keep you satisfied..

HTH
Old 04-27-2012, 11:25 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JessBunny
Stats: 370/288/150
WOE: EFGT & Wheat Free
Start Date: 9/1/11
I agree with Carolyn that the calories and protein amounts are important to control if you are looking to lose. I also noticed that you don't seem to have much physical activity listed on your ******. I know some low-carb plans say the exercise isn't that important but I disagree with them. If you are getting bigger but the number on the scale isn't rising to fast your body could be converting your muscle to fat. Fat weighs less than muscle but takes up more space on your body. You may want to think about adding some light exercise into your plan. Walking or light weight training is good and not too stressful on the body if you aren't used to more vigorous activities. The more muscle you have the more calories you burn all the time, even while resting.
JessBunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 07:43 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mainemom
Stats: 147/125/115 5' 1"
WOE: LC; Intermittent Fasting; Wheat Free
Start Date: January 2011
Hi, Bernsy - You mentioned that you read Gary Taubes - was that his "Why We Get Fat" book? If so, you'll remember he has a section in it about women losing estrogen as they approach menopause and that causes fat receptors in the abdominal area to pull in more fat from the blood stream (which explains why men, when they gain weight, usu. gain around the middle - they have little estrogen). Anyway, you sound like you're likely perimenopausal. After you hit menopause (no periods for 1 year), hormone supplementation may benefit. It has helped me a lot. I'm 51 and started horm.supp. about 6 months ago and am feeling MUCH better. Along w/LC, then mod carb JUDDD, I'm seeing my waistline again!
"...had we been discussing disorders of growth - why some people grow to be more than seven feet tall and others never make it to four feet - the only subject of discussion would be the hormones and enzymes that regulate growth. And yet, when we're discussing a disorder in which the defining symptom is the abnormal growth of our fat tissue, the hormones and enzymes that regulate that growth are considered irrelevant."
- Gary Taubes, Why We Get Fat
mainemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 03:47 PM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Monkeyfish
Stats: 210/195.8/135
WOE: Atkins (grain/wheat free)
Start Date: May 8, 2012
Aww Bernsy, bless your heart, your food totals all look so good and you've been so careful, I can imagine how frustrated you must be! I'll tell you what - I was not losing ANYTHING until I dropped my protein to under 80g a day and then suddenly my bod started letting go of some weight. I don't know if this will work for you, and like the other gals said - it might very well be a hormone too, so you could look into a number of variables. Don't give up, though, cause you clearly have the right idea and I'm sure you'll find the right balance for you soon!
Old 05-30-2012, 12:40 PM   #12
Senior LCF Member

How do you lower protein and not be hungry while at the same time keeping fat totals to a reasonable amount so you can lose fat? OMG! If I lower my protein by having a much smaller portion of my turkey chilli tonight say, (I always add 1Tbsp coconut oil to my dinner) how do I keep from being hungry?
Old 05-30-2012, 02:14 PM   #13

70-80 grams of pure protein is about 10 ounces of pure protein, not counting the fat.
It should be balanced throughout the day...Maybe you could add some sour cream and cheese to your turkey chili to make it fattier and help fill you up..Or a nice big salad is always nice for a filler, too.
Old 05-30-2012, 06:31 PM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Monkeyfish
Stats: 210/195.8/135
WOE: Atkins (grain/wheat free)
Start Date: May 8, 2012
I can eat eggs for breakfast and meat at lunch and dinner and be fine with my protein. It's when I start snacking on pork rinds or adding extra bacon and things that makes my protein totals go up so much. Don't fret too much, though, Bernsy, cause stress definitely contributes to weight gain.
Monkeyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 07:00 AM   #15
Senior LCF Member

You are soooo right about the stress thing monkeyfish! Instead of sour cream or cheese, I added 1Tbsp of coconut oil to 5.65oz (instead of 7oz) of chilli with one cup of green beans. ****** shows 89.5 grams of protein for the day. Too much??? Not enough??? I have no idea. This morning was 2 eggs scrambled in 1T coconut oil and 1/2 cup cauliflower. Lunch is 1 cup of romaine, 1 cup of mushrooms, 1/2 cup broccoli and 4.95oz turkey chilli with 2T of olive oil and a spritz of lemon juice and Tobasco and tonight is a Rib steak - maybe I'll just have 5.5oz with a cup of veg and 1T coconut oil. ****** shows 85.7 grams protein but my calories seem so high at 1535, not used to that. It must be all of the coconut oil and olive oil. I have been having 1/2 T coconut oil in 1 cup of low sodium broth in the evening as well.
Old 05-31-2012, 07:44 AM   #16
Senior LCF Member

I am worried about taking in too much fat - trying to believe that fat does not make you fat but I am getting fat! Had some natural peanut butter last night, the craving was killing me! TOM ... I took a Phase 2 before eating the PB but I guess I have to find a way to stay away from it. How do you white knuckle it? How did I white knuckle it the first time around?????

If you have, say an 8oz steak but add fat like 1 or 2 Tbsp of coconut oil does the full 8oz of protein effect you or does the fat alter the protein count????? Crazy question??
Old 05-31-2012, 05:03 PM   #17

Hi,

Hmmm..how are you doing? I wouldn't add fat for the fun of it because that will zoom up your calories, but don't be afraid of it either..Have no more than 65 percent of your calories in fat, including fat in meat, and dairy.

You don't weigh very much, so you might have to watch your intakes. I think your protein sounds fine..
Old 06-01-2012, 05:46 AM   #18
Senior LCF Member

I am going to start taking MCT oil because it is supposed to actually help raise metabolism, jump start ketosis, although I'm sure I'm in ketosis, and burn stored fat - we'll see - will buy some tonight.

Carolyn, do you think I should stop adding coconut oil and olive oil to my meals? Coconut and MCT oil are handled differently in the body as compared to other oils. They are burned immediately for fuel and dealt with by the liver instead of being stored as fat - not sure about olive oil.
Old 06-01-2012, 08:39 PM   #19

Bernsy: I think that your fat in your meals (including coconut oil) should equal between 60-65 percent. Coconut oil is digested more easily than regular oils because of its composition. I know alot of gals who gained weight overeating coconut oil bark..

I like coconut oil myself..but I use it in place of butter when I cook..

Last edited by CarolynF; 06-01-2012 at 08:40 PM..
Old 06-03-2012, 12:40 PM   #20
Senior LCF Member

I use coconut oil in place of butter and other fats. I scramble my morning eggs in 1 tbsp of CO and add 1 tbsp to my dinner; and 2 tbsp of olive oil to my lunch salads. I've just introduced MCT oil - 1 tbsp each morning - will see how that works out. I have not made or ever tried coconut bark or coconut pudding as I do not want to overdo the fat but as I decrease protein something has to increase and I don't think it should be carbs. I'm hoping for good results because MCT and coconut oil do react differently in the body, by not getting stored as fat. Here's hoping. My fat %age lately has been about 70% - hoping that's not too high.
Old 06-03-2012, 08:10 PM   #21

Best of luck..and see how that 70 percent works out for you..