Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Eat Fat, Get Thin
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-17-2012, 07:29 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: afleisher
Which coconut oil is tasteless?

I know the more refined versions are not as good for you, but I have to get started somewhere. I figure once I get started I will adjust to the taste and be able to use the stronger healthier versions. I tried the Nutiva brand a while back and it was just absolutely horrible to me The strange part, for me, is that I really like cocunut generally, though that kinda did ruin the thought of coconut. Bad experience all around since I put it in my car to bring back in my recyclable bag and on the way to the store it fell over and the whole container leaked out all over my car. YUCK, had to throw away all the bags I could never get the grease and smell out. I have read online that Nutiva is very popular though. I have read about Tropical Traditions Green Labell that supposedly has little taste. Anyone tried this brand, any others to recommend?

Anyhow I have to try something else, I suspect my thyroid has gotten worse again <sigh :-( > and even with cutting back more and more I am suddenly dramatically gaining mass and a chunk of weight. In the past week and a half I have grown more than 3 inches in my waist. I am so embarrassed to even get my bloodwork done and go back to the doctor. I have cut back to VVLC and I am hoping I can at least get this under control a little bit. I had tried eating large amounts of fat which always seems to help and while I was still VLC, now I will cut back even more. I had hoped that the weight was related to gaining muscle since I am getting more exercise but sadly it seems that is not the case.

No more carb conscious dinners with the family, its all eggs, bacon, hot dogs, burgers, coconut oil and cheesecakes for me. I will look into how to make these egg creams too, I remember my dad making them when I was a kid. Hoping someone can offer a suggestion on the coconut oil, otherwise I will find a way to eat that Nutiva one.

Thanks everyone,

Alysa

Last edited by afleisher; 04-17-2012 at 07:41 PM..
afleisher is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-17-2012, 08:23 PM   #2
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: CarolynF
Stats: 195/141/139
WOE: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Start Date: January 2001
I know, I know..Let me get back to you..I'll look upstairs..

I don't like coconut oil that tastes like coconut..

I got 2 jars of the Expeller Pressed Coconut Oil from TT..No taste and very reasonable.
It does have green writing on the jar labels.
CarolynF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 05:12 AM   #3
Junior LCF Member

Thanks so much. I thought I must be the only one that just can't deal w/ the taste. I am hoping that I will get used to it down the road. I know it was that way with red wines. I initially could barely get a glass down though I knew it was better than whites. Now I like some of the reds.

The Expeller Pressed Coconut Oil from TT was the one I had heard about. I looked it up further after I posted. I just didn't want to waste a huge amount of money buying something else if I was going to hate it. Maybe the VVLC will work with the Coconut Oil, I did lose a pound of the weight that I had re-gained and crammed my now fat behind and stomach into a pair of pants I coudn't wear last week. They are tight but at least I have something else to wear.
Old 04-18-2012, 05:54 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JessBunny
Stats: 370/288/150
WOE: EFGT & Wheat Free
Start Date: 9/1/11
You're not the only one to dislike the taste. I can't stand coconut at all, in any form. But I know how good the oil is for me so I force some down every morning. I have the Nutiva that I'm slowly making my way through. I keep it in the fridge so it stays hard then I break out small pieces and swallow it down with water like it's a pill. I take a few pill sized bits pretty much as fast as I can so I don't taste it. If they don't have the chance to melt in your mouth I find it has very little flavor. I can't say I really enjoy it but I've gotten used to it so it's not as bad. I've also tried NOW's coconut oil softgels but I feel like they are such a tiny amount of oil that they don't do me any good. Best of luck!
Old 04-18-2012, 10:44 AM   #5
Junior LCF Member

Thank you both CarolynF and JessBunny. Maybe I will try some of that Nutiva again since I can go get it right up the street and I can order something that I can stand for long term. I am just praying I can get things under control a lilttle bit. Even if my thyroid is really getting worse as long as I can lose some of the weight then things will still be in line. I never recovered from the last time my thyroid got worse so I was already operrating with 10 extra pounds I could never lose and now I had gone up another 10. I almost got rid of all these clothes from when I was heavier because I thought this would never ever happen again. I had no idea my thyroid could still keep getting worse now. I had never heard of coconut oil until the past few years though I have been low carb really since the mid 90's when I first developed thyroid problems gained and then lost 100lbs. Thanks for the ideas.

Alysa
Old 04-18-2012, 02:38 PM   #6

Gallery: CarolynF
Stats: 195/141/139
WOE: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Start Date: January 2001
Alysa: What meds are you on for your thyroid?
CarolynF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 03:14 PM   #7

Gallery: metqa
Stats: 147/142.5/135
WOE: HCG
Start Date: joined LCF 2003: HCG 11/2013
Quote:
But I know how good the oil is for me so I force some down every morning. I have the Nutiva that I'm slowly making my way through. I keep it in the fridge so it stays hard then I break out small pieces and swallow it down with water like it's a pill.
Why don't you just cook with it rather than taking it like a pill? If you get the Deodorized Coconut oil is just as useful in cooking as any light cooking oil, no smell, no flavor. I even pull it out in front of my Coconut Hating BF and show him that I'm putting Non-flavored coconut oil in the skillet to cook our veggies and he no longer protests cause he can't taste or smell it at all. So I get coconut oil in him without any fanfare or battles. Give your Smelly Nutiva to someone who likes the flavor and buy some Deodorized Coconut oil. Spectrum has a good Refined oil, it was my first experience and I wouldn't have tried coconut oil beyond that if it had any smell or taste. Louana is what I use now, it's perfectly NEUTRAL in taste and odor. I even had BF stick his nose in the jar yesterday to prove I wasn't trying to trick him.

Quote:
I know the more refined versions are not as good for you
I personally use Louana, Yeah, the CHEAP Stuff, and I haven't died yet. I get it cause it is refined and that includes being deodorized and that's what I need if I'm going to cook for me and my BF with coconut oil. Last time I used regular oil he nearly disowned me and tells everyone how I tried to poison him with coconut. Now I use the refined Louana for any of our shared meals and he doesn't complain. We both get the benefits of coconut oil that way. I keep my smelly oil for myself for making my bark candy and such.

I still get the MCT, Lauric acid and such from the Louana same as from my Nutiva, just without the smell and taste.
"You have to understand zat ven a vampire forgoes . . .the b-vord, zere is a process zat ve call transference? Zey force Zemselves to desire somesing else? . . .But your friend chose . . . coffee. And now he has none." "You can find him some coffee, or . . .you can keep a vooden stake and a big knife ready. You vould be doink him a favor, believe me." Monstrous Regiment by Terry Pratchett
IBKKF 898

Last edited by metqa; 04-20-2012 at 03:18 PM..
metqa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 06:48 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by metqa View Post
Why don't you just cook with it rather than taking it like a pill?
It's personal preference. I prefer to cook with butter, I can get the farm fresh kind at our local market that doesn't have any preservatives or chemicals just cream and salt. It's so tasty that I simply don't want to switch. I'm big on natural stuff, the less processing and preservatives added the better to me. I feel like the deodorized coconut oil is more processed then I want to eat. I'm much more used to eating coconut oil now and swallowing the little chunks of it is just part of my morning. But when I first started taking it I didn't like it much. I think of it like learning to like veggies. I don't always like them but I know they are good for me so I eat little bits of them until the taste doesn't bother me anymore. It's how I've learned to like broccoli, spinach, carrots and mushrooms. And I like and eat all of those now. Especially mushrooms
JessBunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 08:56 AM   #9

I love mushrooms. I love to cook with butter also. In dishes where I need oil but don't want butter, I use coconut oil. My Olive Oil is super Strong flavored so I can't use it for mild cooking.

I get sick of pills so taking something else in the form of pill is another torture!

Plus I found that if I cook for others and need a light oil, coconut oil works very well, so I just switched it out. More expensive but if I'm gonna use a refined cooking oil in the kitchen I'd rather it be coconut than corn/canola/soy.

I don't equate processed with bad, even virgin coconut oil is processed to get the oil from the meat, but I understand the idea of wanting less processing in general.
Old 04-23-2012, 12:55 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

I honestly can't remember the last time I cooked something were I had to use oil over butter or clarified butter. If I didn't eat the coconut oil I don't think I would have any in my diet on a regular basis. I do use almond oil on my skin as a moisturizer but otherwise I don't use other oils. I've got some olive oil and I think some peanut oil hanging around in the back of the pantry but they haven't seen the light of day for a long time.
JessBunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 01:08 PM   #11
Jez
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Jez
WOE: Primal
Start Date: 12/12/13
Is it actually the taste, or the texture? If you like coconut, I find it odd you wouldn't like the taste of coconut oil. I do get those who don't like the texture, or a mouthful of oil. Coconut oil should just taste like fresh coconut. I'm not a fan of Tropical Traditions. I spent a bunch of money on 2 jars of coconut oil and a bucket of coconut flakes. The flakes were stale, and I thought their coconut oil sucked until I realized it was just rancid, despite the date. I opened the 2nd jar, and it was also rancid. I am currently using Nutiva and I do love it. When I finish it, I have a jar of Trader Joe's coconut oil to try next. Hopefully it will be good, as it's cheaper at $5 for a 16 oz jar.

Metqa: Is there a differently labeled Louana one that's deodorized? I use Louana in my hair/toothpaste, and it's just as coconutty scented/flavored as the coconut oil I get to eat.
Old 04-23-2012, 03:10 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessBunny View Post
I honestly can't remember the last time I cooked something were I had to use oil over butter or clarified butter. If I didn't eat the coconut oil I don't think I would have any in my diet on a regular basis. I do use almond oil on my skin as a moisturizer but otherwise I don't use other oils. I've got some olive oil and I think some peanut oil hanging around in the back of the pantry but they haven't seen the light of day for a long time.
Oh, I know what you mean. I bought some madadamia nut oil.... forgot why I bought it. Still sitting there. I should look it up why I thought it was neat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jez View Post
Is it actually the taste, or the texture? If you like coconut, I find it odd you wouldn't like the taste of coconut oil. I do get those who don't like the texture, or a mouthful of oil. Coconut oil should just taste like fresh coconut. I'm not a fan of Tropical Traditions. I spent a bunch of money on 2 jars of coconut oil and a bucket of coconut flakes. The flakes were stale, and I thought their coconut oil sucked until I realized it was just rancid, despite the date. I opened the 2nd jar, and it was also rancid. I am currently using Nutiva and I do love it. When I finish it, I have a jar of Trader Joe's coconut oil to try next. Hopefully it will be good, as it's cheaper at $5 for a 16 oz jar.

Metqa: Is there a differently labeled Louana one that's deodorized? I use Louana in my hair/toothpaste, and it's just as coconutty scented/flavored as the coconut oil I get to eat.
First Bold - I grew up hating coconut and being left out of my Sister's birthday cake eating since she and my mother and brother all love coconut, the Easter cake was a pretty bright bunny shaped cake, ... covered with food colored coconut! It was all I could do to scrape it away and then I just quit trying. They drove me to low carb with coconut cake! Seriously, though, I don't like coconut, I don't like dried coconut flesh or fresh coconut flesh, I tried fresh coconut water from the fruit, didn't like it,. the smell of dessicated coconut flakes half and aisle away would send me into convulsions. I'm really impressed with myself that I kept trying. When I heard about the "goodness of coconut" and the "Coconut oil Lies" I got curious enough to try it. I first tried Spectrums REfined coconut oil, it had no taste or smell. As my body grew to desire coconut, the assiciation of coconut with "good" and "health" became stronger. So I was able to try unrefined coconut oil and I didn't have my typical gag reflex. So I retrained myself in regard to the oil, but I still can't stand the texture of taste of the meat or water.

Louana Brand. I assumed there was only one type. White plastic jar, recently a black lid. around $6.99 at Kroger. I know this one has no smell cause I had BF stick his nose into the jar a few days ago and he cleared it for use in dinner. He LOATHES coconut oil the way I used to. I cant' sneak it in with him. Last time I tried was half a decade ago and he still brings up that story of my horrible injustice of poisoning him with my "oil candy".

Maybe different regions have more options. Louana makes lots of oil products but I've only ever seen one coconut oil choice from them. I'm gonna go check their website...
Nope, just the one. on their webpage:
This is the one I use for BF, my hair and body( bc of BF) No taste, no smell.
ETA: Though I have to say this: The other day I reached for an old Louana jar that I had refilled it with Virgin oil. At first whiff, I didn't notice the very coconutty smell, cause I'd got used to it. I had to sniff it again, and then the real Louana jar to confirm I got the right one. Coconut oil has become such a neutral scent to me that it just seems natural and I have to double check sometimes.

Last edited by metqa; 04-23-2012 at 03:12 PM..
Old 04-25-2012, 08:25 PM   #13
Jez
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Jez
WOE: Primal
Start Date: 12/12/13
Yeah, how weird. The Louana I have smells like all the other coconut oils I usually get, which are definitely a mild, coconutty.
Jez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 09:10 PM   #14
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolynF View Post
Alysa: What meds are you on for your thyroid?
Sorry I just figured out how to get back to my earlier posting. I am on Synthroid and Cytomel for my thyroid.
Old 05-23-2012, 09:22 PM   #15
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by metqa View Post
Oh, I know what you mean. I bought some madadamia nut oil.... forgot why I bought it. Still sitting there. I should look it up why I thought it was neat.

First Bold - I grew up hating coconut and being left out of my Sister's birthday cake eating since she and my mother and brother all love coconut, the Easter cake was a pretty bright bunny shaped cake, ... covered with food colored coconut! It was all I could do to scrape it away and then I just quit trying. They drove me to low carb with coconut cake! Seriously, though, I don't like coconut, I don't like dried coconut flesh or fresh coconut flesh, I tried fresh coconut water from the fruit, didn't like it,. the smell of dessicated coconut flakes half and aisle away would send me into convulsions. I'm really impressed with myself that I kept trying. When I heard about the "goodness of coconut" and the "Coconut oil Lies" I got curious enough to try it. I first tried Spectrums REfined coconut oil, it had no taste or smell. As my body grew to desire coconut, the assiciation of coconut with "good" and "health" became stronger. So I was able to try unrefined coconut oil and I didn't have my typical gag reflex. So I retrained myself in regard to the oil, but I still can't stand the texture of taste of the meat or water.

Louana Brand. I assumed there was only one type. White plastic jar, recently a black lid. around $6.99 at Kroger. I know this one has no smell cause I had BF stick his nose into the jar a few days ago and he cleared it for use in dinner. He LOATHES coconut oil the way I used to. I cant' sneak it in with him. Last time I tried was half a decade ago and he still brings up that story of my horrible injustice of poisoning him with my "oil candy".

Maybe different regions have more options. Louana makes lots of oil products but I've only ever seen one coconut oil choice from them. I'm gonna go check their website...
Nope, just the one. on their webpage:
This is the one I use for BF, my hair and body( bc of BF) No taste, no smell.
ETA: Though I have to say this: The other day I reached for an old Louana jar that I had refilled it with Virgin oil. At first whiff, I didn't notice the very coconutty smell, cause I'd got used to it. I had to sniff it again, and then the real Louana jar to confirm I got the right one. Coconut oil has become such a neutral scent to me that it just seems natural and I have to double check sometimes.

I have been using the Coconut oil for everything I can. In fact I finished the first jar and I am on to my second. I don't use corn/canola/soy. I replaced most of my Olive Oil and butter use with this and the whole family is eating it. I found that if I put it in the fridge I couldn't reasonably break off pieces of it so usually I am keeping it out in the pantry though it melts because it is ghastly hot here in Florida. Sometimes if I want some that is partially hardened I wil put it in a few hours before I use it. I am getting used to the taste. I have seen the Louana in my area in Walmart. I think it was ~$6 too which is super cheap and it looked just like the pic you have there. The Nutiva by comparison was $23.

But in the past 3 weeks I have lost weight. I'm back down 17lbs which gets rid of the weight I gained when I tried adding back in some low carb fruit and yogurt so I could start eating 1tsp of cinnamon each day. It didn't work out at all for me. I was not eating an outrageous amount but it was too much for me sadly. Still have another 10 to lose to get back to my post pregnancy weight before I got worse again and my meds went up.
I am glad for what I have so far. It just hard to keep up eating so much fat, but fat is the only thing that keeps me losing and thinner and I struggle to eat enough. I seem to need more fat now since just using olive oil and butter wasn't kicking it into gear for me.

Unfortunately the things I miss are the weird ones. Fruit, boy do I miss fruit & yogurt. Even before when I kept the weight off for so many years I was never really able to eat any reasonable amount of fruit. It was a very rare endulgence. I don't really miss much else, I'm alright w/ no potatoes and bread and I now have realistic substitutes. I really haven't had real sugar in any quanity in decades and I really have no desire for it. There was one notable Krispy Kreme donut I had when I was pregnant otherwise nothing, just can't recreate a Krispy Kreme but it was enough for me for another 20 years. I replaced yogurt with whipped cream, just yogurt has so many health benefits, but not for me.

Maybe soon I will agree to go in for that upper and lower GI, maybe they will solve something that none of the other doctors can.

Thanks,

Alysa
Old 05-25-2012, 10:05 AM   #16
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: jem51
Stats: oh so happy at 120
WOE: Mine, all mine
Start Date: controlled carb '97-98
You can eat fruit and yogurt following EFGT....just need to fit it into the carb count.
jem51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 02:45 PM   #17
Junior LCF Member

Stats: 208/202/130
WOE: Keto
Start Date: Nov 2012
Coconut oil

I use the oil you pictured above for hair and skin, and I can't smell it at all. Even when I first started using coconut oil, I could smell the distinct scent of the organic coconut oils, but this one didn't have any scent. I love the scent though, it smells like a beach When I bake for others (I dont bake any flour products for myself), I use the organic coconut oil, and even the "haters" end up raving about it.
CuttingOutCarbage is offline   Reply With Quote