Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Eat Fat, Get Thin
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2012, 07:44 AM   #241
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: kbelle
Stats: 186/176/140
WOE: Adkins and now JUDDD
Start Date: 1/17/12
Oh yeah - Sandy's post above made me wonder - what are your favorite LC cookbooks - I would like to invest in a few. I found a few nice recipies on the web already. Let me know your fav LC cookbooks! Thanks!
kbelle is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-21-2012, 09:23 AM   #242
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: RVcook
Stats: 153/143/125
WOE: 40/30/30
Start Date: 8/2012
Mornin' Gals,

Frigid here today, but really sunny which is great for our passive solar .

Still staying on plan and at least the hunger seems to be under control for now. But...the scale has not moved...perhaps that's the best I can hope for on this WOE. Enjoying a lot of nuts, olive oil, egg yolks etc., but my calories are still above where I would optimally want them which is 1400 and I suspect I have the exact opposite dilemma that you have kbelle.

I do have to mention one GREAT side effect of upping my fat and eliminating virtually ALL starchy carbs is that I don't seem to ache as much and that has been a H-U-G-E benefit for me. It is much easier now to understand why the proponents of 'paleo' embrace it so. Sticking to a whole foods diet really does make a difference!

kbelle: I think the type of LC cooking you need help with determines which cookbook author you will enjoy. I used to buy almost every new cookbook that came out and found that I didn't use 90% of them, mostly because I was already a 'from-scratch' cook and understood the mechanics of putting together LC main and side dishes. The only ones I kept, were those written by Jeniffer Eloff, because I wanted to make a loaf of really good LC bread. Unbeknownst to me at the time, she was also a fabulous baker of other LC desserts and that helped me to make the transition from high carb to LC without 'missing a beat!' Just my 2 cents.

Need to head outside and shovel then will bring in and split a load of wood before another night of brutal cold. The older I get, the more I D-E-T-E-S-T living in this climate, but "what c'ha gonna do?"

Later gators!

When life happens, sometimes you NEED 'Plan C'...
RVcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 11:57 AM   #243
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: CarolynF
Stats: 195/141/139
WOE: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Start Date: January 2001
Hi ladies..

Kbelle: I think it is important to get enough calories in or you can damage heart muscle. 1100 or so seem to be the minimum, I believe. There was a story of a woman who gained weight on 800 calories a day, then she raised them to a higher number and started losing. Best cookbook? Linda Sue's low carb site is fabulous, fabulous.. And Jennifer's new cookbook Lowcarbing with Friends is a good one, too..

Donna: You are living proof of the book Wheat Belly by Dr. Davis. It's an excellent book on the dangers of the new hybrid wheat and the effect it has on health..arthritis, fibro, etc.. We have friends who are moving to Wisconsin for a principalship at a Lutheran School..Have to find out the name of the town.

Hi to Sandy, Cindy, Buffy and MKay..

I was going to make some raspberry scones from George Stella..No fat in them except for the eggs and the almond flour..Let you know.

I am cooking a smoked turkey that we got for Christmas. It was already cooked, so I popped it in the freezer..Hope it tastes okay.

CarolynF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 12:38 PM   #244
Always on, slightly off

Gallery: CindyCRNA
Stats: 152/132/121 Currently 120's lbs, 5'7" 51 years old
WOE: 35%/25%/45% (F,P,C 1850 calories/day)
Start Date: Raising carbs 1/10
Carolyn, that will be interesting as those have usually got a lot of solid fat like butter. And I love smoked turkey! I have a pot of split pea soup on the stove right now!
CindyCRNA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 04:58 PM   #245
Junior LCF Member

Choppin wood - oh my Donna. That should melt the pounds off! I've started to jog again after a lot time off (I dropped a hammer on my toe 3 months ago) and it's hard getting back in the groove again.

Thanks to both of you for the cookbook ideas - I will definitely look for these. I am a meat and veggie's girl (and so is DBF) so I make the basic "paleo" dinners...tonight was corned beef an cabbage. So, like you Donna, I don't really need a cook book for lunch and dinner meal recipes...I think I am looking for more of the carb replacers (breads) type recipes and baking recipes also. I also like to find fast and easy to make recipes (so I love the new pumpkin/egg/cream cheese/splenda in the microwave recipe - tried that today and added some saigon cinnamon - it was yummy).

Carolyn - funny - I found a site with raspberry scones today and went out and got some almond flour and raspberries and a scone pan to boot - I am going to try the recipe tomorrow (scone « Search Results « Candice's Low Carb Recipes). Although this recipe called for coconut flour (which I found at the store - has more carbs than almond flour). I didn't realize George Stella had one so will check that out before I make these (hope it is on his website). The site above also had peanutbutter scones. I love peanut butter and even more, sunflour butter - so I may try to develop my own sunflour scone.

Cindy - Split Pea Soup sounds yummy (although I think I'll need to wait until maintenance for that for me).

Last edited by kbelle; 01-21-2012 at 05:07 PM..
Old 01-21-2012, 05:48 PM   #246

Girls...the scones are wonderful..and you don't need butter in them..Let me find the recipe and put it here..

Raspberry/Blueberry Scones

Ingredients
Serves 6
2 large eggs, beaten until frothy
1 cup almond flour (or enough to make a thickish batter)
1/3 cup bulk sugar substitute
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup fresh raspberries

Directions
Preheat the oven to 375°F and line a sheet pan with parchment paper.
In a large bowl, combine all of the ingredients, except for the raspberries, and mix well to create a batter.
Gently fold the raspberries into the batter and use a tablespoon to drop 6 evenly spaced scones on the lined pan (about 2 heaping tablespoons for each scone).

Bake for about 15 minutes until scones begin to lightly brown. Let cool for 10 minutes before removing from the parchment paper and serving warm.

Nutrition Facts
125 calories
9.5 g fat
5.5 g protein
2.5 g fiber
3 g net carbs

Last edited by CarolynF; 01-21-2012 at 05:50 PM..
Old 01-21-2012, 05:59 PM   #247
Major LCF Poster!

Carolyn: The scone recipe looks very nice and definitely easy.

Ya know...everyone I know just RAVES about scones, but I'm not really a fan of scones simply because they are always so dry and crumbly. For all the varieties I've tried over the years and in different places, the texture of scones always seemed like a biscuit that was left on the counter for 5 days...dense, heavy, dry. Not really sure what all the fuss is about?...
Old 01-21-2012, 07:18 PM   #248
Princess Proofreader

Gallery: TuscanGirl
Stats: Sad/Happy/Wow 5'
WOE: Something like GL and LC and . . . .
Start Date: July 2003
TuscanGirl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 09:57 AM   #249
Junior LCF Member

Carolyn - your scone recipe is AWESOME (and I did love using the new scone pan). I am sure I will be making these regularly as I do try to include a very little LC fruit every few days.

Donna - they really came out more like a muffins that a hard scone. I am with you - I don't care for hard scones - theses were not like that. They are REALLY good.

MK - big hello.
Old 01-22-2012, 11:59 AM   #250

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVcook View Post
Carolyn: The scone recipe looks very nice and definitely easy.

Ya know...everyone I know just RAVES about scones, but I'm not really a fan of scones simply because they are always so dry and crumbly. For all the varieties I've tried over the years and in different places, the texture of scones always seemed like a biscuit that was left on the counter for 5 days...dense, heavy, dry. Not really sure what all the fuss is about?...

Donna: Kbelle is right..Scones at our local coffee shop have to chocked down with lots of coffee (tried one once..), but these are like flat muffins..Extremely good.

I was so good until about 90 minutes ago..Mexican food..too many chips..Same old story..No dinner for me tonight.
Old 01-22-2012, 01:07 PM   #251
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks Kbelle and Carolyn for weighing in on scones. So...I guess I'll just have to try these. I LOVE the 'homey' texture of muffins...soft, light, moist and delish!

I Made Jennifer's sandwich bread today but eliminated the cheeses and added 1 TB of yeast and onion powder to the recipe for extra flavor. I always add onion and garlic to her bread, but figured I would try something different. The yeast added a little taste, but I think next time I do this, I'll let it sit for a while in the pan before I bake it to let the 'yeasty' flavor develop a bit more. I don't eat much bread to limit my exposure to grains, so this fills the bill very nicely.

Shoveling done...wood split and stacked and now just waiting for the next onslaught of winter weather. Glad I no longer hurt when these fronts move in and out. Dr. Davis is right about the connection between grains and inflammation...at least that has been my experience.

Going to watch the game now and spend some 'recliner' time with hubby

Waving "hi" to Mary Kay, Buffy, Sandy, Cindy
Old 01-22-2012, 03:12 PM   #252
Princess Proofreader

Hi all!!

Icky, rainy day today!

I now want to make muffins!
Thanks a lot!!

What's up this week?

Everyone check in!
Old 01-22-2012, 03:23 PM   #253
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuscanGirl View Post
Hi all!!

Icky, rainy day today!

I now want to make muffins!
Thanks a lot!!

What's up this week?

Everyone check in!
Lazy week...drizzly, damp, cold...finishing projects. For me it's the mid-winter "blahs..."
Old 01-22-2012, 03:23 PM   #254

Gallery: sjl330
Stats: 184/141/140 5'7"
WOE: EFGT-Barry Groves
Start Date: January 2003
Not much going on this week; just more of the same. Plenty of walking/therapy. I'm kind of behind in house cleaning so I might try to get on top of that. Then Bunco Tues. evening which should be fun.
sjl330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 05:26 AM   #255
Junior LCF Member

Jennifer Elloff Cookbook ?

Does the Low Carb-ing Among Friends that Carolyn recommended have a good white bread recipe? I've seen a few posts about this (good bread recipes) but didn't see it on the list of recipes for this book. Where can I find a good white bread recipe also?
Old 01-23-2012, 06:14 AM   #256
Princess Proofreader

Morning!

I have RIP, PEO and a couple of errands today.
We had wonderful thunderstorms last night and it's already 41°!!
Old 01-23-2012, 06:29 AM   #257

Hi ladies..

Danny Cahill from the Biggest Loser is talking at the highschool next week in the evening..He is from OKCity..Need to make reservations..I think he gives an inspirational message.

MK: I think you got our drizzly day yesterday..It is sunny out..Nice..
What is RIP? or is that the exercise program??

Kbelle: I don't think it has a white bread recipe. I used to try to make bread in my machine before LC breads came out..Too much work without much success and not worth the effort. So, I just play around with "different" breads..Like Buttoni's and Jennifer's bread. I stopped buying all that WPI stuff..

Oh..what did you think of Downton Abbey last night? Why can't the mother see what a jerk O'Brien is ???? She is rather feather headed sometimes..

Off to exercise..

Lots of laundry done and a bit to do after Dh found some "clothes" in the bottom of the closet..Surprise.
Old 01-23-2012, 06:44 AM   #258
Major LCF Poster!

Morning everyone...

Kbelle: The recipe that everyone is talking about is prepared a little unconventionally in a sheet pan and then sliced in to 'sandwich-sized slices.' Here is a link to that Jennifer Eloff recipe and her blog:
SPLENDID LOW-CARBING BY JENNIFER ELOFF: Sandwich Bread (2.2 g carbs) (GF) - The recipe you've been waiting for! Look around...she has GREAT recipes!

If you're NOT gluten free, you may want to try one of her other bake mixes since they are wonderful. Of course, a lot depends on how low you are keeping your carbs. When I wasn't gluten free, I used Jennifer's recipe for the basis of an absolutely FABULOUS oat flour bread that I used to make in my bread maker.

Made pork shoulder steak and sauerkraut for dinner yesterday with a huge salad. This morning I got on the scale and was up a pound, but I think it was all the sodium in the kraut since my fingers were swollen like little smoked sausages...lol!

Have a great day all...
Old 01-23-2012, 09:07 AM   #259
Princess Proofreader

Carolyn - yes - RIP stands for Repetition Intensity Performance - it's the body building class.

Did I mention how much I loved pistol shooting on Saturday?!
*Bang*
Old 01-23-2012, 09:44 AM   #260

Donna: Yup, sodium will do it everytime..

Oh, MKay...did that gun hurt your arm??? Did it have a kick?
Old 01-23-2012, 10:14 AM   #261
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Buffy45
Stats: Type 2 Diabetic as of 6/1/08
WOE: LC/MP/HF
Start Date: Restart 9/3/2012
Morning from Telluride, CO

Been here since last thurs night, having a great time but the days fly by. I stay in the room most days and take each kid as they are picked up or dropped off for feeding, skiing, napping, clothes change, bathing, etc. they are so good though, very used to traveling and well behaved. Ava. 2, skied this year for the first time and loves it as much as bobby 3 does. In the evenings we all go out for a nice dinner. Staying in a condo so very comfy!

Had some altitude sickness first coupe of days but not too bad

Sounds like everyone is busy and cooking

DH doing fine in Camp David and out and about

Got a eautiful snow here sat
Old 01-23-2012, 01:00 PM   #262

Hi Mema..You are a good Mema..Condos are great for families for sure..Now, how about you getting on the slopes? or doing some cross country???
Old 01-23-2012, 01:04 PM   #263

A friend told me to chew Tums for altitude sickness. Once he started doing that he never go it again. And he used to get it every time he went to the mountains!

For some reason I jumped up 2# the last few days. And I've been GOOD!! So today I'm doing protein shakes for b-fast and lunch. For dinner we're having pan seared halibut with chimichurri sauce. New recipe. I sure hope it's good!
Old 01-23-2012, 03:46 PM   #264
Princess Proofreader

Carolyn - nope it was just a 22 so no kick - or not much of one.
We used both the revolver and the semi-automatic. And even with 1 hand they were manageable.

Buffy - you are so special!! Do you get to try skiing too?

Sandy - I'd never heard that - good to know!
And have you had a lot of salt recently??

Donna - last night's dinner sounds yummy!! What's up tonight?

Kbelle - want to just mail me some scones?!
Old 01-23-2012, 05:11 PM   #265

Nope--low salt for me too b/c I'm such a good supporter, lol. I figure I might as well cut back now before I HAVE to, KWIM?

The halibut was very good. Two very small filets for $16!!! The chimichurri sauce was ok. It might get better as it sits. They call it Argentinian ketchup!
Old 01-23-2012, 05:23 PM   #266

Hi gals..

Tums for altitude sickness? Maybe it is the calcium in them..Great idea.

Sandy...I hope you licked the plate for that price..Cheaper than a dinner out, I guess.

MK: Glad you got no kick..

Oh..that stupid Bachelor Show is on..I guess I will watch it even though I cheated and know who wins...
Old 01-23-2012, 05:31 PM   #267

I did too Carolyn, lol. Now I'm really not very interested.
Old 01-23-2012, 05:40 PM   #268
Princess Proofreader

I don't watch it - but how did you cheat and know who wins?
Old 01-23-2012, 05:41 PM   #269

MK: You go to Reality Steve's website and he most always knows the "ending"..It's faster that way..
Old 01-23-2012, 05:42 PM   #270

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjl330 View Post
I did too Carolyn, lol. Now I'm really not very interested.
Bad choice in my opinion, but I can see why he picked her..