Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Eat Fat, Get Thin
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2012, 04:11 PM   #211
Princess Proofreader

Gallery: TuscanGirl
Stats: Sad/Happy/Wow 5'
WOE: Something like GL and LC and . . . .
Start Date: July 2003
Sandy - we're discussing The Heights by Peter Hedges - he wrote What's Eating Gilbert Grape.

I'm also reading Russian Winter. It's REALLY good!
TuscanGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-17-2012, 05:45 PM   #212
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: kbelle
Stats: 186/176/140
WOE: Adkins and now JUDDD
Start Date: 1/17/12
Day 1

Thanks for the wecome notes!! Day 1 was good but I ended up about 20 grams low on the fat. I saw some earlier posts on this and went back and found a recipe for the Coconut Oil Bark and made this up tonight - it is yummy!! Any suggestions or good recipes on how to increase fat (other than using butter to cook with and full fat cheese/salad dressings and avacados) I"m all ears!

Carolyn - There is a book out on this (PGXfiber/glucomannan) it's called Hunger Free Forever: The New Science of Appetite Control (by Michele Murray). That was how I heard about PGX. I got the supplements and they also make a Protein shake called SlimStyles with PGX. It tastes like most Whey protein (not too bad) but it makes a really thick shake (it turns the shake kind of gelatinous). You can also make a pudding with it. It's also a bit high in carbs (230 calories, 20 grams protein, 8 grams fat, 15 net carbs (5 fiber) for 2 scoops) so I don't use it when I am trying to lose (only maintenance in the past). Sometimes I make it with only one scoop and then use a scoop of my other protein powder with less carbs also.
kbelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 06:42 AM   #213
Junior LCF Member

? for the EFGT veterans

Are the % splits recommended based on the total calories consumed for each type or the grams consumed for each type??? I read "the ratios to aim for are 10-15% carbs, 20-25% prot, 60-70% fat".

I was using gram %s and my numbers weren't matching fitdays. They are using total calories consumed for each type (fat/protein/carb) - (I can tell by the math). Which is correct?

Here are my numbers for yesterday and today. Do these look okay? My goal (for 1200 cals is 30 carbs (max) and about 65 protein and the rest fat.
Day 1 - 80 fat/61 (40 net)carbs/66 protein
Day 2 - 97 fat/20 carbs/65 protein.

Feedback on this is welcome as I know all of you have used this plan and tweaked it successfully. I think I am in the ballpark though.
Old 01-18-2012, 08:13 AM   #214
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Buffy45
Stats: Type 2 Diabetic as of 6/1/08
WOE: LC/MP/HF
Start Date: Restart 7/1/2014
Morning!

I am still on the last book of The Hunger Games, not sure what I will listen to next, will see what DD has downloaded to her audible account.

Yes, going to have to go get that shot today, I still have quite a bit of pressure on my ears, especially the right one which is always the one that gives me the most trouble. I usually can't sleep the night I get the shot but in this case that is probably ok as I have too much to do today and tonight to get ready to leave for Colorado tomorrow. Figure out how to pack since it will be really cold there, or really cold for Texas people. Have to finish up some office work that has to go out before I leave, deliver some toffee, yada yada.

DH a little grumpy, I don't think he is too happy about me leaving for a week, I just got back from spending a couple of days in Austin. He is really good about all my coming and going but he does not like to be home alone for too long. Even if he is holded up in Camp David, his man cave, he likes to know I am here , silly DH.

Sandy, you are doing great at getting to the mall for walking, I think I would like walking at the mall, lots to look at, etc. How did DSIL break his heel bones? Poor guy!

Just saw something on tv about the PGX, fiber is always good to fill you up. As is fat and protein of course.

Sandy, for a diabetic, 53 is a low for me and I usually get the shaky sweaty feeling when it gets that low, not sure about a non-diabetic, but I think your range should be more around 90 or so. I had a lot of lows before I found out I did have diabetes. Test first thing in the AM for your fasting reading and then for me, they tell me to test 2 hours after first beginning a meal.

Kbelle, I will let someone else answer your questions, I don't follow the diet but did at one time and just never quit hanging out here
Old 01-18-2012, 08:46 AM   #215
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: sjl330
Stats: 184/141/140 5'7"
WOE: EFGT-Barry Groves
Start Date: January 2003
Kbelle, the %s are based on your calories eaten. Your goal %s are correct, but it is figured out by calories. Carolyn might be able explain it better.
sjl330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 10:58 AM   #216

Gallery: CarolynF
Stats: 195/141/139
WOE: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Start Date: January 2001
Hi ladies..

Kbelle: Thanks for the PGXfiber information..I just try 2 tabs with water before I eat..and I have been adding Benefiber to my coffee/water..Trying to get my fiber count up. Your percentages/grams look good..The carbs are the variable ones..So start low and see what happens, then increase as you go..

Buffy: Glad you are getting the shot. Dh travels a lot and I'm fine with it..I like my own space. But, I think women do better entertaining themselves than men do..Don't you think???

MK: My dd's favorite movie was Gilbert Grape..The author graduated from the high school (Valley) down the street from us in Iowa. Is The Heights a bit strange, too?

Sandy: When is your trip??? Hopefully, you will be perfect when you go.

Haircut and got my dye from Walgreen's..

CarolynF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 07:12 PM   #217
Princess Proofreader

Another social butterfly day - so got nothing done around the house . . . again!

Buffy - I just finished Russian Winter - LOVED IT!! I highly recommend it!

Carolyn - The Heights isn't as weird. Pretty good actually!

Sandy - DH broke his heels?! how did I miss this?!

KBelle - I just float along trying not to eat white stuff . . . when I followed EFGT to the letter, I just did whatever Carolyn told me!
Old 01-18-2012, 07:13 PM   #218
Princess Proofreader

The nurse left a message - my blood test came back and the cholesterol levels are still too high.

Wonder what the next thing will be . . .
Old 01-18-2012, 08:36 PM   #219

MK: Are you eating some carbs? I can't remember your plan. How about supplements for it? Although, if your HDL is high, then your total will be high....Then there is the Cholesterol Myth book..

Ds came over for the game..Thank goodness KSU won..sorry, Texas. But they needed this win. Anyway, he has lost 4 pounds since Friday..He is LCing, so I'm hoping he will stick with it..
Old 01-19-2012, 05:51 AM   #220
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Buffy45
Stats: Type 2 Diabetic as of 6/1/08
WOE: LC/MP/HF
Start Date: Restart 7/1/2014
Morning.

Off to Colorado later this morning. Dr. gave me a steroid shot yesterday since I still had the pressure on my ears so I was up until 3:00 am but easily got everything done. Now, hoping I can sleep on the plane, yikes.

MK, did you follow along when I was telling Sandy about the fish oil really helping bring down my cholesterol? Tried and tested, really worked for me to take a high quality one and take much more than the minimum daily requirement on the bottle. Or, you can take a liquid and take just a couple of teaspoons a day to boost it. I swear on it, I think we talked about it earlier this month if you go back thru the threads.

Hopefully, I will be able to get on my ipad in the hotel and stay in touch but if not, be good and I will check in when I get home!
Buffy45 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 06:04 AM   #221

Buffy: Safe journeys, Buffy..I hope your ears behave on the plane..Take gum to chew in case they need to pop..Hope you can sleep..but I never could..Catch you in CO..

Hair dye on..Going to a meeting at a new coffee shop..They have pastries, but I'll eat before I go and think of something good to have..Maybe a double shot of espresso with a little water added and cream. Have to check if they have real cream or Coffee Mate..

My scale is at 153.8..hanging on by a thread. This is the hard weight to get off..Need a chisel or something.
Old 01-19-2012, 06:41 AM   #222

Have a fun time Buffy! I hope you can check in while you're there and I also hope you don't get sick and are able to totally enjoy your trip.
Old 01-19-2012, 08:35 AM   #223
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: RVcook
Stats: 153/143/125
WOE: 40/30/30
Start Date: 8/2012
Morning All!

Back from my visit to Milwaukee...fun by really exhausting. Glad to be home finally!

Welcome Kbelle! I'm relatively new to the EFGT way of eating and there seems to be a learning curve when it comes to eating this way. I have found that as long as my appetite stays in check, I can follow ANY plan, but if I'm hungry...all bets are off! After struggling with this problem very recently, I did a little research on how to tame the appetite demon since I seemed to be hungry ALL the time...it was awful!!! If you see my post #165, you will see how changing things just a little bit helped me to work out this issue.

As far as recipes go...and I may speaking out of turn here (please ladies, let me know if I am)...I don't think eating this way is so much about structured "recipes" per se, I think it's more about making 'fat' choices that fit into a very basic way of eating. And Barry Grove's book speaks to that...at least it did for me. So considering how calorie-dense 'fat' really is, there isn't a lot of "wiggle room" when it comes to recipes. For me, that means selecting recipes that I can 'embellish' with additional fat in the form of fatty meats, full-fat dairy products, nuts, coconut products and olives/olive oil. So on my low carb beef tacos, I make sure I add cheese, sour cream AND avocado. On my loaded salad, I use full fat dressing from a bottle or homemade -OR- I use sour cream as the dressing with garlic and lots of cracked pepper. BTW...MOST LC recipes are already high-fat.

OK...running out again. Lots to do today and I'm already behind schedule.

Waving 'buh bah' as I head out...

Later gators!

When life happens, sometimes you NEED 'Plan C'...
RVcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 10:51 AM   #224

I have a terrible sore throat today! And just feel crummy all the way around. Ugh! I did get discharged from PT though so that's good news. And I'm still doing good weight-wise. And I checked my BS all day yesterday and I'm not diabetic or pre-diabetic, so life is good. I just need to shake this icky stuff.

I tried to cut a piece of the Sara Lee 45 cal/low carb bread into 2 slices today, lol. I did manage it, somewhat and was able to have a chicken salad sandwich which was nice for a change. I did it frozen which helped keep it from tearing. If I had a really good meat slicer I think it would work quite well. Anybody ever try this? Any tips?

At the beach.... time you enjoyed wasting, is NOT time wasted. TS ELLIOT
Old 01-19-2012, 12:51 PM   #225

Hi gals..

Oh...had a great Caesar Salad with steak on it for lunch with some buddies.
It was $10 and extremely filling..

Donna: Welcome back from Milwaukee..You are right about just watching the protein/carbs. I never do percentages anymore, but I know that portion control is my concern...

Sandy: That's an old WW trick..cutting your bread in half. We used to toast it first, but freezing is a good idea. Get a small sharp knife and go around the edges. No, you are far from diabetic...How were your dh's numbers???

I made a bunch of egg salad and made some oopsie rolls with sour cream instead of cream cheese..Yummmy..That is dinner for me tonight.

Eggs are God's perfect food..and I have read if you eat a lot of them you will lose faster.
Old 01-19-2012, 01:10 PM   #226
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: RVcook
Stats: 153/143/125
WOE: 40/30/30
Start Date: 8/2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolynF View Post
Hi gals..

Oh...had a great Caesar Salad with steak on it for lunch with some buddies.
It was $10 and extremely filling..

Donna: Welcome back from Milwaukee..You are right about just watching the protein/carbs. I never do percentages anymore, but I know that portion control is my concern...

Sandy: That's an old WW trick..cutting your bread in half. We used to toast it first, but freezing is a good idea. Get a small sharp knife and go around the edges. No, you are far from diabetic...How were your dh's numbers???

I made a bunch of egg salad and made some oopsie rolls with sour cream instead of cream cheese..Yummmy..That is dinner for me tonight.

Eggs are God's perfect food..and I have read if you eat a lot of them you will lose faster.
Portion control should be a concern for everyone, but when the pangs of hunger take hold, there is just no stopping it! When I did Atkins the first time and lost a total of 7 lbs. I knew something was wrong. Even with keeping my carbs low, I overdid the protein and the excess protein was metabolized just like a carb. The calories were always an issue (being so short), but I struggled with ketosis because I was trying to keep my calories in check and the easy way to do that was to cut back on the fat.

Call me smarter now, but focusing on keeping the fat macro HIGH has actually helped me keep my calories LOW...
RVcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 02:14 PM   #227

I made the sandwich bread and it's pretty good. It's kind of a pain to make though, whine whine. If it spread out easier it would be nice. Plus I had to make the bake mix first and ran out of almond flour, so had to grind some more, Ugh! But it is pretty tasty, warm with butter. We'll see how DH likes it. I think I could live with the Sara Lee myself but he's more of a bread person than me. His BS #s aren't too bad. Of course he doesn't check all day long. We're going to do the test Saturday where he eats a 60-65 g carb meal and then take his BS 1, 2 & 3 hours after. I told him I'm afraid it might "unleash" his inner monster to have that many carbs all at once, lol. All kidding aside, I hope it doesn't.

I'm making It. sausage with tomato sauce over zucchini for dinner. I found some tomato sauce in a carton that only has 10 mg sodium per 1/2 cup!! So I'll season it up myself for spag. type sauce. It's pretty expensive though, of course.

I love egg salad!! I don't really like the oopsies much though. Again, I think I don't like making them, lol. Can you tell I'm a processed food gal, haha. I like this bread recipe better than the oopsies though. I wonder how long 30 slices will last around here?

I'm catching up on D. Abbey too this afternoon. I really like that show!
Old 01-19-2012, 02:27 PM   #228
Princess Proofreader

Hair appointment today - she did a great job!
Then to the grocery store, and now I should be doing more than being on the computer.

But since I'm not . . .

Buffy - hope you have an amazing time!!

Carolyn - I'm fairly LC leaning toward EFGT as far as I don't use LF anything ~ just normal food.
I understand about the last pounds needing to be blasted off . . . It's annoying!

I love eggs - maybe weight will just fall off now!

Has anyone else used Fish Oil. I did for a while, but the burping was nasty.

Donna - glad Milltown was fun!! Did you get caught in the snow?
Sounds like you have the plan down!

Sandy - sorry you're sick!!!

Circles of fashion are more like spirals, covering the same area but never arriving in the same place twice!

°°◊°°
Old 01-19-2012, 03:10 PM   #229

You have to be careful on which fish oils you use. I've had the burpy kind. Ick! I take a Krill oil cap and 4 of those mega fish oil caps Buffy told me about every day and not one burp yet! Costco has one that's coated that I never burped either.

My throat still feels very raw. I hardly ever get a sore throat!!
Old 01-19-2012, 05:27 PM   #230
Always on, slightly off

Gallery: CindyCRNA
Stats: 152/132/121 Currently 120's lbs, 5'7" 52 years old
WOE: 35%/25%/45% (F,P,C 1850 calories/day)
Start Date: Raising carbs 1/10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffy45 View Post
Morning!

I am still on the last book of The Hunger Games, not sure what I will listen to next, will see what DD has downloaded to her audible account.

Yes, going to have to go get that shot today, I still have quite a bit of pressure on my ears, especially the right one which is always the one that gives me the most trouble. I usually can't sleep the night I get the shot but in this case that is probably ok as I have too much to do today and tonight to get ready to leave for Colorado tomorrow. Figure out how to pack since it will be really cold there, or really cold for Texas people. Have to finish up some office work that has to go out before I leave, deliver some toffee, yada yada.

DH a little grumpy, I don't think he is too happy about me leaving for a week, I just got back from spending a couple of days in Austin. He is really good about all my coming and going but he does not like to be home alone for too long. Even if he is holded up in Camp David, his man cave, he likes to know I am here , silly DH.

Sandy, you are doing great at getting to the mall for walking, I think I would like walking at the mall, lots to look at, etc. How did DSIL break his heel bones? Poor guy!

Just saw something on tv about the PGX, fiber is always good to fill you up. As is fat and protein of course.

Sandy, for a diabetic, 53 is a low for me and I usually get the shaky sweaty feeling when it gets that low, not sure about a non-diabetic, but I think your range should be more around 90 or so. I had a lot of lows before I found out I did have diabetes. Test first thing in the AM for your fasting reading and then for me, they tell me to test 2 hours after first beginning a meal.

Kbelle, I will let someone else answer your questions, I don't follow the diet but did at one time and just never quit hanging out here
CindyCRNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 05:35 PM   #231
Princess Proofreader

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjl330 View Post
You have to be careful on which fish oils you use. I've had the burpy kind. Ick! I take a Krill oil cap and 4 of those mega fish oil caps Buffy told me about every day and not one burp yet! Costco has one that's coated that I never burped either.

My throat still feels very raw. I hardly ever get a sore throat!!
Is Krill the brand?
We don't have a Costco.
What is their brand - maybe I can get it somewhere else.
Old 01-19-2012, 06:57 PM   #232

No Krill is a type of fish oil. Supposed to be much more potent than regular fish oil. They get it from krill which are some kind of ocean fish.

The brand Costco carries is their own brand. Kirkland I think it was. I ordered the kind that Buffy told me about though now. It wasn't really any more expensive than the regular kind at Costco. and no burps. She said she's had great results with her cholesterol with it so I wanted DH to have it.
Old 01-19-2012, 07:34 PM   #233
Always on, slightly off

Gallery: CindyCRNA
Stats: 152/132/121 Currently 120's lbs, 5'7" 52 years old
WOE: 35%/25%/45% (F,P,C 1850 calories/day)
Start Date: Raising carbs 1/10
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuscanGirl View Post
The nurse left a message - my blood test came back and the cholesterol levels are still too high.

Wonder what the next thing will be . . .
What is your ratio? That is much more important than total. If you total is high because you HDLs are high, that's a good thing. If your total is high and your HDL's are low, that's bad because that means your LDL's are high and that's bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuscanGirl View Post
Is Krill the brand?
We don't have a Costco.
What is their brand - maybe I can get it somewhere else.
I use Schiff's Mega Red. And I take 2 mega dose Costco fish oils but I don't burp them.

Last edited by CindyCRNA; 01-19-2012 at 07:36 PM..
CindyCRNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 05:26 AM   #234
Princess Proofreader

Morning!

Bitter cold here too!
Exercise this morning and dinner out with my youngster friends tonight.
Oh to be 30-40 again!

Tomorrow is my big day, I'm going to an NRA class and learn how to shoot a pistol!
Bucket list item - I've always wanted to learn to shoot!

So, the roads have to be good so I can get there!

Cindy - I still have to call them back to get the particulars. I'll let you know when I do.

Sandy - I'll mention fish oil and see if that's an option.
Old 01-20-2012, 10:18 AM   #235

Hi gals..

Up early and did the elliptical at the gym..I never add any tension, though..

I wonder how Buffy's dh is doing at Camp David..so cute..Lots of football still left on tv, too..

MK: Shoot a pistol? Dd wants to learn to shoot, too. Watch out for the kickback.

I agree with you, Sandy on the bread..Hard to spread out..but tasty. I sliced it in half and put 2 pieces in a ziplock bag in the freezer..

Dh made it home last night...It's meatloaf tonight..His favorite with onions and peppers. I think I will saute them first as I think they taste better that way. I bought the most expensive WM ground round, so I am hoping it is okay. I never buy WM beef..

I hear "Joyful Noise" is great..
Old 01-20-2012, 11:29 AM   #236
Princess Proofreader

Old 01-20-2012, 11:47 AM   #237

I just layered my slices between waxed paper in a container in the fridge. I wonder how long it will keep? I had a sliced pork loin sandwich for lunch. It felt so normal, lol. Dinner out with friends tonight. Dodge City prime rib!! It's excellent!!

I love to shoot but we never do it anymore. I bet it's been 20 years since I shot a gun! It's pretty expensive to go to a range and places to hunt or go target practice are getting fewer and farther between. My son shoots all the time. He hunts, target shoots and loads his own ammo. I always say if we're ever in a situation where we have to know how to survive I want him with us!!
Old 01-20-2012, 12:08 PM   #238

I think they will keep quite a while..I just made Buttoni's white bread like Jennifers' bread.
It was quite white and good. However, it is not made to be sliced in half or maybe you could if you were really good. I just cut out 12 pieces..Would make small sammies..

Ds likes to shoot at the farm..tincans.

Oh..next time in KCity..Dodge City here we come..
Old 01-20-2012, 12:13 PM   #239

Is that recipe in the cookbook? How many carbs does it have per slice?

Never mind, I found it. Looks good!!

Last edited by sjl330; 01-20-2012 at 12:25 PM..
Old 01-21-2012, 07:38 AM   #240
Junior LCF Member

Two questions for the veterans :)

Have stayed at 20 net carbs for 5 days now with ease and little to NO hunger. (I did LC in the past and loved it so did an immediate switch over this time). But - I actually have to eat more than I feel like eating to get in 1200 calories per day (and I am keeping my ratios at the right levels also). I'm worried about going below 1200 cals. as I want to keep my metabolism cranked up. Is there risk in eating only when you are hungry on EFGT? I am feeling too full and would prefer to eat only when I am hungry - but if I do that I'll probably drop down to 800 to 900 calories per day (I am 5'4" and 20-25 lbs overweight). So which is better - eat when hungry or get in the full 1200 calories?

I also tried to make Oppsie rolls. I found a number of postings and tips but mine turned out slightly flat (I was careful to gently fold the egg whites in also and not overblend). I tried to do little blob mounds but that didn't help (it ran togesther). I also put 2 Tbsp. milled flaxseed in. Anyways, it tastes fine but I want to get more of the bun or knotted roll look (thicker). Any tips to help with this (other than using a muffin top pan)?

Last edited by kbelle; 01-21-2012 at 07:45 AM..