Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Eat Fat, Get Thin
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2012, 08:36 AM   #181
Princess Proofreader

Gallery: TuscanGirl
Stats: Sad/Happy/Wow 5'
WOE: Something like GL and LC and . . . .
Start Date: July 2003
DS19 is on his way back to Chicago with DH.
Then DH has a meeting there tomorrow and will be back tomorrow night.

This will be the first time I'll be alone in the house since December 17, 2011!
Not that I'm counting or anything!

So, this is a bittersweet moment . . . .
TuscanGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-15-2012, 11:07 AM   #182
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: sjl330
Stats: 184/141/140 5'7"
WOE: EFGT-Barry Groves
Start Date: January 2003
My brother's wedding yesterday was very nice. He got very emotional during the vows and also when he saw me walk in. He grabbed me and hugged me so hard and wouldn't let me go. We used to be very, very close but through the last 30 years have drifted slowly apart. Maybe we can regain some of our closeness in our golden years. His new wife seems very nice too. It was the first time I met her.

I looked through some of my old pics and guess what? I hardly have any pics of myself! I'm always the photographer. I'll look through the box of pics from my mom's house next and see what I come up with.

MK, quiet house is good for a while. Then it starts to get lonely again. And about that time they'll alll come home for a holiday and it'll repeat and repeat from there and become the new normal.

At the beach.... time you enjoyed wasting, is NOT time wasted. TS ELLIOT
sjl330 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 12:21 PM   #183
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Buffy45
Stats: Type 2 Diabetic as of 6/1/08
WOE: Ketogenic
Start Date: Restart 7/1/2014
Wow, guess that little Oliver really tired his Mema out, I drove back last night and slept until 10:00 AM, but snoozed on until noon!!! What a lazy bum I am.

Just going to be putting things away today, would like to catch a movie, that new Mark Wahlberg ones looks very good.

Leaving again on Thursday for 7 days, going to Colorado with DD#2 and DSIL, little Bobby and Ava and DD#2, will be a lot of fun and I don't ski but will enjoy all the hanging out and keeping the little ones while they all ski. Both the little ones ski too but they just take them one at a time so they can teach them and watch them. I often stay in at night with them if they want to go out to a nice dinner, fun all around.

Sandy, your brother is telling you in no uncertain terms that he has missed you, get that closeness back, I still miss my brother so darn much. Am going to my sister's in AZ in Feb. and our only other sibling, our oldest sister is joining us and I am sure we will share many stories about Marty and some tears as well, we all miss him.

MK, enjoy your little time of total peace and quiet!

Last edited by Buffy45; 01-15-2012 at 12:22 PM..
Buffy45 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 01:03 PM   #184
Princess Proofreader

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjl330 View Post

MK, quiet house is good for a while. Then it starts to get lonely again. And about that time they'll alll come home for a holiday and it'll repeat and repeat from there and become the new normal.
Thanks!!

And I'm so happy for you! Sounds like you and your brother are back on the right track!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffy45 View Post

MK, enjoy your little time of total peace and quiet!
Thanks! I'm trying!

Where in CO? That sounds like so much fun!!

DH and DS19 made it back to the dorm.
I hope DH takes him out to eat before he leaves him!!
Old 01-15-2012, 03:12 PM   #185

Gallery: CarolynF
Stats: 195/141/139
WOE: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Start Date: January 2001
Hi ladies..

Gosh..my weigh-in at my gym is on Tuesday..The owner is taking this very seriously..(which I need), so I'm trying to be good and not overeat..I think Monday might be an egg day..LOL.

I like being home alone from time to time when Dh is gone. I watch alot of Netflix and eat tunafish...LOL.

Oh..Buffy, you are our "go-go" girl for sure. Can't wait to see you at 19..

Wow..Congratulations to your brother for his remarriage. You know a wife makes a huge difference in the relationships of a brother and sister..So, you may become closer thanks to his new bride.

Anyone watching Downton Abbey on PBS tonight??? It is a big English soap opera with fancy houses and dresses..Love it.

CarolynF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 04:22 PM   #186
Princess Proofreader

I love Downton Abbey too - though I'm taping so I can watch it all at once!
Old 01-15-2012, 06:11 PM   #187

Shoot! I missed the first hour of the 7 p.m. episode and it doesn't look like it's being rebroadcast. I didn't realize it was coming on again so soon. I watched the first season and really liked it. I'm taping the rest of the first epi and have the 2nd one set to tape too. I need to set myself a reminder so I don't forget the rest.

Busy busy day here. DGS, his wife, DD, DSIL and of course the baby all came to visit today. I made a big pot of Texas Red Chili. It was yummy! And then I enjoyed playing with Colton all afternoon. I'm pooped tonight. We went for an early breakfast, then I headed to the mall to do my walking/therapy. I don't think I should be this tired, but I am. So early to bed for me tonight I think.

I do hope my brother and I can get closer. His wife is on dialysis 3x a week and she has a pretty big family as well, so we'll have to see I guess. He might have a different opinion of course, but I feel like he's been the one that has kept the distance. Maybe being in a new relationship and a new chapter of his life will change things. I really hope so.
Old 01-15-2012, 08:18 PM   #188
Princess Proofreader

Sandy - they said it should be on DVD on February 7 - even before the season finale!!

I hope you and your brother get closer too!
Old 01-16-2012, 07:04 AM   #189

Season 2 will be on DVD by then??? wow!

Ok, I must be doing something right......finally. I'm down to 142.8!! I need to go look and see just how long it's been since I was in this neighborhood. I know it's been a very, very long time. I'm a little worried about DH's lack of loss though. He doesn't really have much to lose either but being a man I figured it would fall off of him. But it's not. It is coming off in very tiny increments and that's at the speed of cold syrup too. He's getting pretty discouraged too. I think his borderline diabetes must be closer to the border than they think or something. I know what he's eating and he should be losing for sure. Poor guy, in the store yesterday he was looking longingly at the grapefruits.
Old 01-16-2012, 07:08 AM   #190
Princess Proofreader

Morning!

I've already walked the dog - now breakfast, exercise, shower, and shopping with DD28.

Sandy - that's great!!!
(about you, not DH!)
Does diabetes make you lose slower?
Old 01-16-2012, 07:14 AM   #191

Without medication I think it does. My poor mom struggled so hard to lose a pound for a very long time. Then one time or another in the hospital they put her on metformin and the weight started coming off and she was finally able to lose the weight she was trying to lose. Then her Dr. says, "Oh, ya, let's leave you on that. With your borderline diabetes it will really help you.?" This was NOT the Dr. who put her on it, but it WAS the Dr. who would complain every time she went in because she wasn't losing the weight. I was ready to smack him, lol. And it went right over my mom's head what he was saying. When I told her later, she was a bit put out too. But at least she finally got the meds she needed and lost the weight she needed to lose.
I'm really thinking about getting a BS monitor. I want to get one with the cheapest testing strips though. I've discovered through my parents that that's where they really get you. They'll almost give you a machine but the test strips are so high!!
Old 01-16-2012, 07:41 AM   #192
Big Yapper!!!!

Morning!
Just watched the first episode of this season's Downton Abbey, loved it and have last night's taped. I didn't catch it last season but DD said that PBS.org has it and I can watch it on my computer, so I will do that. Love the clothes, homes, etc.

We are going to Telluride, CO this ski trip. I have been there once before, but during the summer and hardly remember it. Just the name mostly. Will probably be going back to Colorado this summer with DH because his brother just bought a small ranch outside of Silverthorne with a 16,000 SF house on it!!! I can't wait to see what a 16,000 SF house looks like, . They have 4 married children so I am sure it will be a gathering place for all of them but wow, that is one big house.

I guess I am more of a loner than most, I have always enjoyed being home alone but of course wouldn't want it full time, so have to be careful not to wish for too much alone time.

Sandy, no wonder you were tired last night, you had a busy day and playing with these little guys does wear us out. They just keep going and going and going. I think often is it men who pull away from their siblings more than women do, although my brother didn't, maybe it was the fact that we lost our parents so young but he really stayed close to us, it was more my older sister who seemed to pull away but since losing my brother, she sure has seemed to try harder to be closer to my other sister and I.

Yes, border line diabetes does make it extremely hard for you to lose weight. Until you get into full blown and then, without it being treated you beging to lose lots of weight. Carolyn probably remembers way back when she and I first become friends on LCfriends and were on several forums together. No matter how low I got my carbs or how hard I tried, I could never get more than about 10 lbs off, finally gave up and left LC friends for a while, then came back but never had much luck and easily gave up until I got on metformin, then I dropped 30 lbs and now keep that off easily. And, like I have said before, could probably control my diabetes with very strict LC but have gotten too old and lazy to be that strict, when you are doing it to control you BS, you can't slip at all, it is all or nothing and I just decided to take the easier route and use the meds to help me out. I would probably be healthier in the long term if I strictly went LC but just am not ready to do that now. Your DH should talk to his Dr. about metformin, my doctor explained that diabetes is a progressive disease and it would help slow the progression and they often give it to people who they term pre-diabetes. And you and I both know that the guidelines to what pre and full blown is will change over the years as all medical things do.

Well, I have babbled on long enough, will save a little breath for later
Old 01-16-2012, 09:32 AM   #193

Hi ladies..

Oh....will Mary marry Matthew? Such intrigue....Mary should dump that newspaper guy for sure. and Edna finally has some "men" friends..

Sandy: You are our champion weightloser..No kidding..When Sandy does the plan, she is our Biggest Loser..Congrats..I agree with Buffy..your dh might have to go the metformin route..Interesting about your mom. Reli-On at WMart is the cheapest plus the cheapest strips, too. I use mine..just for fun, but my numbers are creeping up...

I go to my doctor for thyroid in a week or so, I might ask her about met..I know they tested my bsugar..I hate pills, though.

Netflix has the first season of Downton..Maybe they will have the second season, too.

Is your house quiet today MK? Dh will be at a meeting, so I'm having egg salad for dinner..
Old 01-16-2012, 09:57 AM   #194
Big Yapper!!!!

I really need to watch the first season to get a better handle on the characters.
Old 01-16-2012, 11:23 AM   #195
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: kbelle
Stats: 186/176/140
WOE: Adkins and now JUDDD
Start Date: 1/17/12
Hello all -
I've had great success with low carb in the past. My endo put me on metformin and told me to find a low carb diet and I would lose weight without trying. I did just what she said and it worked like a charm - I lost 35 pounds very fast and felt fantastic (eating about 20 grams of carbs - no idea how much fat or how many calories I was eating).

I eventually added some carbs back and managed to keep it off for 6 years. Year 7 - I gained back ten pounds and then year 8 (2011) gained another 10 (this year). I think this is due to too high carb diet and also getting older/slower metabolism at age 48. So I want to go back to low carb again (and will probably go back on the metformin also).

I found low carb very easy - however I don't want to go back to the 20 grams per day as I want to keep my low carb toast (7 carbs - 2 fiber or 5 net carbs) and low carb tortillas (19 carbs - 13 dietary fiber for 6 net carbs). I like to have one low carb bread option with a meal. I read though the low carb diet options on Low Carb Friends and found Eat Fat Get Thin - which sounds perfect for me in terms of both carbs and fat. I ordered the Barry Groves book and also plan to use ****** and keep to 1200 calories a day.

I want to get started tomorrow (using the15% CARBS, 20% PROTEIN, 65% FAT and 1200 calorie) mix.

Can someone tell me -
(1) Do I use the full carb count or net carbs (carbs net of the fiber content) for counting carbs on the Eat Fat Get Thin plan?

(2) I'm also afraid of not losing weight with carbs this high for me (about 45 grams per day on a 1200 calorie diet) vs. only 20 which was my old plan. Can you share your success stories as to how much weight you have lost on this plan at this carb level? I would love to hear them or any thoughts on this.

Thanks for all of your posting on this plan...they are WONDERFUL...and any suggestions are welcome! I will check in as I love hearing all your advice also.
kbelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 11:30 AM   #196
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: kbelle
Stats: 186/176/140
WOE: Adkins and now JUDDD
Start Date: 1/17/12
Oh yes - one more thing on the metformin (I saw a few posts about this) - they have a regular and then an entended release formula - I found that the regular made me sick to my stomach so my doc changed me over to the extended releasee and this eliminated the nausea.
kbelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 12:28 PM   #197

DH's A1C results are like 1 point below official pre-diabetic. So, I don't know if the dr. will give him meds for it. I think I'll get a monitor and see if I can get him to check it regularly and see what it's doing. My dad only checks in the morning before eating. What do you all, who are not yet diabetics do?
Old 01-16-2012, 12:38 PM   #198

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffy45 View Post
I really need to watch the first season to get a better handle on the characters.
You do, you do...Then you will have a greater understanding of their history with the family...Some of it is shocking..

K: I would start off on the lower end of carbs and increase gradually until you aren't getting the results you want. BGroves says to subtract fiber, but sometimes Sugar Alcohols should be counted.....and a Big Welcome..

Sandy: I go by my doctor and she said no meds yet. I test willy-nilly just to experiment. Have you been to Blood Sugar 101 site? It's a great site with lots of information about pre-d and d.
Old 01-16-2012, 02:53 PM   #199

I was there years ago when Mom was diagnosed. I guess I better go check it out again. Thanks!
Old 01-16-2012, 03:13 PM   #200
Princess Proofreader

Kbelle!!
Old 01-16-2012, 03:17 PM   #201
Princess Proofreader

Gorgeous here today - it's 60°!!
All the snow melted and I got a nice walk in - as well as a skinny vanilla latte from SB!

I've walked the dog twice, exercised, showered, and shopped with DD28.

Buffy - you definitely need to watch part 1 first!!!

Carolyn - Sams has cranberry walnut chicken salad and that on a LC tortilla is my dinner tonight! With DH gone, I'm only eating when I'm hungry!
Old 01-16-2012, 03:34 PM   #202
Always on, slightly off

Gallery: CindyCRNA
Stats: 152/132/121 Currently 120's lbs, 5'7" 52 years old
WOE: 35%/25%/45% (F,P,C 1850 calories/day)
Start Date: Raising carbs 1/10
OMG, girls it's 63 here today!!! Windy but 63!!!! Rode with a bunch of girls today at a local horse park. I have ridden 3 times this month and I have NEVER ridden in Jan!!!
CindyCRNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 04:19 PM   #203

Watch out for tomorrow though. It was a beautiful day here. I had all my windows open and it felt great. And a beautiful sunset is just starting too.

I made DH some chicken salad last night for his lunches. It was yummy!! And so easy. I told him to throw some walnuts in when he eats it if he wants to.
Old 01-16-2012, 04:51 PM   #204

Yes, it was a gorgeous day here..Windows open, too, Sandy...Cindy: I'm sure your DHOR was very happy with the nice weather..

Oh..cranberry walnut chicken salad sounds great, MK..and the regular chicken salad is wonderful, too.

Ds is on LCarb to lose some pizza weight. I'll see how he is doing on Wednesday when he comes for the KSU/TX game. I'll make him a burger and maybe I'll make some oopsie rolls to have with it.
Old 01-17-2012, 07:12 AM   #205
Big Yapper!!!!

Morning!

KBelle

Very warm here yesterday too, such a mild winter that my allergies have never had a chance to let up, went to the Dr. again yesterday as I could tell I was getting infected, lots of pressure behind ears, sneezing, coughing, blah, blah, blah. He gave me an antibiotic and told me to come back and get a shot Wed. afternoon if the ears were not a lot better since I have to fly on thursday. I hate all the itching Hoping it is very cold in colorado to help me feel better. And, to top it off, I can't sleep, I don't want to get out there and want to do nothing but sleep when I am going to help with the kids.

toffee order, office work and laundry today.

Cindy, bet DHOR is very happy with you this month!
Old 01-17-2012, 10:12 AM   #206

Hi ladies..

I was one pound down from last week's weigh-in at the gym..I was holding my breath..and didn't drink any water beforehand..LOL.

Yes, allergies are really, really bad here, too, Buffy. No freeze yet. I'm sure Colorado will be covered with snow and hiding all the allergies. You need that shot, I'm sure.

Bible study this afternoon..Then watching my Agatha Christie dvd from Netflix...My guilty pleasure.
Old 01-17-2012, 01:19 PM   #207

Busy, busy day so far. I went to the mall to do my walking/therapy. I'm really getting to like that place for walking!! I ran into a friend there which delayed me a bit. He was out picking up a coat for his DW. I would've walked right by him I was so focused lol. Anyway, we made a date for the 4 of us to meet up for dinner Friday evening. I've been close friends with his DW since we were 14 years old!! So we're actually like sisters more than friends. I'm really looking forward to seeing them.
Then I had to go pick up my DSIL at the gym. Poor guy waited over an hour for me. He can't drive or work right now due to broken heel bones!! So one foot (the worse one) in in a big heavy boot that you actually have to pump air into and he's on crutches to try to not overwork the other one. He can still go do upper body work though and I'm glad he's doing that. I told him late afternoons work much better for me to taxi him though, so I hope we can work towards that.
Then to Walmart to pick up "stuff". Carolyn, I almost called you from there. I couldn't remember what kind of cheese went into that LC Sanwich Bread recipe. Well, I wish I had called you.....I got the wrong kind!! Ugh. So, I still can't make it yet. Oh well, I'm too tired today anyway. I need to rest a while because I have book/dinner club tonight.
I bought a Blood sugar monitor and checked my BS after not eating for 5 hours. It was only 53!! I guess that's good? I hope. I feel fine.
I was down a tiny bit more this a.m. I started taking GLA this week?? I wonder if that's doing something? I also started taking that super duper fish oil Buffy told me about. I counted up and I take 28 pills a day!! And only 3 of those are prescriptions! Fighting the battle through supplements!!!

I don't think I welcomed you KBelle!! Jump on in and join the fun!
Old 01-17-2012, 04:13 PM   #208
Princess Proofreader

Good day and book club tonight!!!
Old 01-17-2012, 04:32 PM   #209

What book are you discussing MK? We just read Hotel on the Corner of Bitter & Sweet and our next book is The Reliable Wife. I wish it wasn't so cold outside. I hate to go out but I'm also looking forward to the evening. Lol.
Old 01-17-2012, 04:58 PM   #210

Sandy: You can use any kind of cheese..as long as it is shredded...Let me know if you like it..AKKK...28 pills..That is a whole meal.

My "new" thing is PGXfiber/glucomannan ..sp. is off..Trying to get more fiber by using these things...Fiber slows down insulin response..I heard..

Oh, dear on your dsil on his heel..How painful is that..poor guy.

Gary is heading for Houston for a big business presentation tomorrow..Pray for Thursday's meeting..Thanks.