Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Eat Fat, Get Thin
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-10-2011, 10:00 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LCNana
Stats: 141.5/140/130
WOE: Paleo Nutrition
Start Date: October 2010
Confused about protein grams/ounces

I'm totally confused and need advice. For my age, height etc. I think I should be eating about 68 GRAMS of protein daily. However when I check my kitchen scale, 68 grams is about 2.5 ounces.

If I only ate 2 1/2 ounces of meat or fish or whatever daily I'd starve. Is there something I'm missing here? That seems such a small amount! When I cut a small steak in half I usually get 4 oz by weight. This is a SMALL piece of meat, and is fine for one meal, but then I'll want another 4 oz piece for dinner. 8 oz is WAY over 68 grams when measured on the kitchen scale. Am I using the wrong measurements?

So what's the deal here? I'm about 20 grams of carbs per day and don't do well if I increase that by much. My fat intake is primarily the fat on meat, or the skin on the chicken, or extra butter for dipping if the meat is lean, and I cook with coconut oil, and put coconut milk in my coffee.

My point is that I'm not sure of amounts of protein, and using grams as a measure does not seem to give me enough to eat. HELP
LCNana is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-10-2011, 10:04 AM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: porcupine73
Stats: 208/152/150, male 5'9", 39 y/o
WOE: Cure Tooth Decay, no snacks,slow burn weights+HIIT
Start Date: January 2010
The fish is not 100% protein. So 2-1/2 ounces of fish does not contain 68 grams of protein. You need to use a tool such as ******.com to see how much protein is in the amount of food you are measuring.
porcupine73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 11:13 AM   #3
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: CarolynF
Stats: 195/141/139
WOE: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Start Date: January 2001
Absolutely go to ******..A ballpark measurement for protein is 7 grams of protein is one ounce of meat..So, you can certainly have about 10 ounces of meat a day...

Like porcupine said..fish is not 100 percent protein..there is water, fat, that has weight, too.

Just did a quick check on the net: 4 ounces of raw salmon is 22 grams of protein..

Last edited by CarolynF; 08-10-2011 at 11:15 AM..
CarolynF is offline   Reply With Quote