Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Eat Fat, Get Thin
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-11-2011, 05:15 PM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: martiangurll
Stats: 250ish/201.5/138???
WOE: HCG at the moment R3P2VLDC33
Start Date: 4/01/10 (Atkins restart)
A wee question about EFGT

Thinking of switching over from Atkins to EFGT but I have a quick question:

Do you guys keep your carbs low enough to stay in ketosis?

IF not in ketosis, do you still have the appetite suppressant effects with the EFGT food plan?

TIA
martiangurll is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-11-2011, 09:44 PM   #2
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: CarolynF
Stats: 195/141/139
WOE: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Start Date: January 2001
I think it always helps to be in ketosis for good weight loss.

The key to the EFGT is not overdosing on protein and letting the fat give you energy.
CarolynF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 07:32 AM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks for the reply CarolynF. I am okay with bumping my fat to optimize weight loss and cutting down to about 60 grams a day of protein (my ideal weight is about 128 and I am sedentary) but I am afraid to push up the carbs much. I would focus on nuts as an add on and maybe lower carb veggies. I really try to keep dairy controlled because it creeps up on me. I guess I am really doing Almost Paleo with IF.
Old 07-12-2011, 05:52 PM   #4

How does that IF work for you?
Old 07-13-2011, 12:39 PM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

IF Feels good. I have been eating between 4 PM and 7 PM daily, only coffee with coconut milk in between. I do it M-F. Yesterday I had training at work noon til 5, so I ate before hand and it led to snacking from Noon to 7 PM so yesterday was a wash--but it was all Induction level snacking at least. So I flex it depending on how available time to eat is between 4 -6 PM when I am at work.

I eat adequate protein at my single meal, plus a low carb veggie or 2. I have not analyzed the nutrient content. I feel great when I do IF. I am thinking of trying to do as many days a week as I can as I get better at it and no interference (like being in class and unable to leave to eat at 4 PM). I actually am not hungry until about 4 PM daily so it isn't a hardship to do IF. I was doing it without really realizing what it was. Since there are health benefits (and since I am probably lowering my total calories per day by doing it) I will try and do it as often as possible. It feels great when I don't eat (like scarey great) which makes me a little worried.

I realized at about 20 years old I did IF for a week to lose weight and did not realize it was a WOE strategy. I let myself have whatever I wanted to eat between 8 AM and 2 PM and then nothing. I lost 7 lbs in a week--totally forgot I had done that before.

I am curious what other people's "windows" are for IF? Do you notice an advantage between eating in the AM versus the PM? If not for work schedule, I would do 9 AM to Noon daily but DH likes to have dinner together and I find it easy not to eat at work--so busy lately.

All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds, wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible.
(T. E. Lawrence)
Old 07-13-2011, 01:21 PM   #6

So glad it is working for you..

I tried it once..not a pretty sight. I think sometimes it has to be gradually done...Widening the Fasting time slowly..

Old 07-14-2011, 06:15 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: cavewoman
WOE: low carb / high fat + intuitive eating
martian, I'd love to do IF; the health benefits are crazy! I don't want to start just yet, however, because I'd like to use it as a plateau-busting strategy further down the road at my next (inevitable) stall. Perhaps when I reach about 220 lbs? Skipping breakfast comes fairly natural to me, and I never eat after my dinner, so I think I could manage it. I'd probably start with a wide-ish window, lunch to dinner (maybe 2PM - 7PM)? I love to kick for my boyfriend, and it's nice eating with him...so, similar to you. Doing mornings is less of an option. I'd work on narrowing the time frame.

Probably would start with 3 or 4 days a week, mix it up some.

Anyway....

Onto your first question, I keep my carbs pretty ridiculously low. Some days it's as low as 0, though more usually they're around 10 or 15. Most of my calories come from fat, though I eat a fair bit of meat, egg, and cheese. I fry my eggs in bacon fat or butter, have heavy cream in my tea, chicken with skin-on, etc. So yeah, no reason to up your carbs because ol' boy says so. My carbs are low, and I'm losing about 3 lbs a week...(I eat about 2300 calories a day...so a lot).
cavewoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 06:40 PM   #8

Gallery: crazyone
Stats: 404/295.6/120
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: June 28, 2009
Is there a sample menu??
crazyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 11:52 AM   #9
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: mariemus
Stats: 160/151/135
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Restart Dec, 2009
what is IF and EFGT I am confused.. can someone explain??
Thanks
mariemus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 06:11 AM   #10
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/111.8/124 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD 1/1/12 + LCHF 12/1/13 (controlling diabetes)
IF = intermittent fasting

EFGT = 10-15 percent carbs/ 20-25 percent protein/60-70 percent fat..and eat according to your appetite

I am still learning, but I suspect the appetite suppressing effect of fat sometimes leads to thinking about IF either as a tool to bust a plateau or as a way of life. Why eat if you feel good, have tons of energy, aren't hungry, and know IF has some pretty amazing potential health benefits.

Last edited by gotsomeold; 10-18-2011 at 06:30 AM.. Reason: added last paragraph
gotsomeold is offline   Reply With Quote