Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Eat Fat, Get Thin (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/eat-fat-get-thin/)
-   -   A wee question about EFGT (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/eat-fat-get-thin/727915-wee-question-about-efgt.html)

martiangurll 07-11-2011 04:15 PM

A wee question about EFGT

Thinking of switching over from Atkins to EFGT but I have a quick question:

Do you guys keep your carbs low enough to stay in ketosis?

IF not in ketosis, do you still have the appetite suppressant effects with the EFGT food plan?

TIA

CarolynF 07-11-2011 08:44 PM

I think it always helps to be in ketosis for good weight loss.

The key to the EFGT is not overdosing on protein and letting the fat give you energy.

martiangurll 07-12-2011 06:32 AM

Thanks for the reply CarolynF. I am okay with bumping my fat to optimize weight loss and cutting down to about 60 grams a day of protein (my ideal weight is about 128 and I am sedentary) but I am afraid to push up the carbs much. I would focus on nuts as an add on and maybe lower carb veggies. I really try to keep dairy controlled because it creeps up on me. I guess I am really doing Almost Paleo with IF.

CarolynF 07-12-2011 04:52 PM

How does that IF work for you?

martiangurll 07-13-2011 11:39 AM

IF Feels good. I have been eating between 4 PM and 7 PM daily, only coffee with coconut milk in between. I do it M-F. Yesterday I had training at work noon til 5, so I ate before hand and it led to snacking from Noon to 7 PM so yesterday was a wash--but it was all Induction level snacking at least. So I flex it depending on how available time to eat is between 4 -6 PM when I am at work.

I eat adequate protein at my single meal, plus a low carb veggie or 2. I have not analyzed the nutrient content. I feel great when I do IF. I am thinking of trying to do as many days a week as I can as I get better at it and no interference (like being in class and unable to leave to eat at 4 PM). I actually am not hungry until about 4 PM daily so it isn't a hardship to do IF. I was doing it without really realizing what it was. Since there are health benefits (and since I am probably lowering my total calories per day by doing it) I will try and do it as often as possible. It feels great when I don't eat (like scarey great) which makes me a little worried.

I realized at about 20 years old I did IF for a week to lose weight and did not realize it was a WOE strategy. I let myself have whatever I wanted to eat between 8 AM and 2 PM and then nothing. I lost 7 lbs in a week--totally forgot I had done that before.

I am curious what other people's "windows" are for IF? Do you notice an advantage between eating in the AM versus the PM? If not for work schedule, I would do 9 AM to Noon daily but DH likes to have dinner together and I find it easy not to eat at work--so busy lately.

CarolynF 07-13-2011 12:21 PM

So glad it is working for you..

I tried it once..not a pretty sight. I think sometimes it has to be gradually done...Widening the Fasting time slowly..

:)

cavewoman 07-14-2011 05:15 PM

martian, I'd love to do IF; the health benefits are crazy! I don't want to start just yet, however, because I'd like to use it as a plateau-busting strategy further down the road at my next (inevitable) stall. Perhaps when I reach about 220 lbs? Skipping breakfast comes fairly natural to me, and I never eat after my dinner, so I think I could manage it. I'd probably start with a wide-ish window, lunch to dinner (maybe 2PM - 7PM)? I love to kick for my boyfriend, and it's nice eating with him...so, similar to you. Doing mornings is less of an option. I'd work on narrowing the time frame.

Probably would start with 3 or 4 days a week, mix it up some.

Anyway....

Onto your first question, I keep my carbs pretty ridiculously low. Some days it's as low as 0, though more usually they're around 10 or 15. Most of my calories come from fat, though I eat a fair bit of meat, egg, and cheese. I fry my eggs in bacon fat or butter, have heavy cream in my tea, chicken with skin-on, etc. So yeah, no reason to up your carbs because ol' boy says so. My carbs are low, and I'm losing about 3 lbs a week...(I eat about 2300 calories a day...so a lot).

crazyone 07-22-2011 05:40 PM

Is there a sample menu??

mariemus 10-17-2011 10:52 AM

what is IF and EFGT I am confused.. can someone explain??
Thanks

gotsomeold 10-18-2011 05:11 AM

IF = intermittent fasting

EFGT = 10-15 percent carbs/ 20-25 percent protein/60-70 percent fat..and eat according to your appetite

I am still learning, but I suspect the appetite suppressing effect of fat sometimes leads to thinking about IF either as a tool to bust a plateau or as a way of life. Why eat if you feel good, have tons of energy, aren't hungry, and know IF has some pretty amazing potential health benefits.