Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Eat Fat, Get Thin
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-07-2011, 05:17 AM   #61
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: kerri
Stats: 222/203 /150....
WOE: Atkins, LCHF
Start Date: Over and Over and over AGAIN...
Good morning

That was great Mary Kay

Congrats to you Sandy.....

Getting ready here to take my DDog1 to the Dr. she is not feeling well...There goes an arm an a leg before I get back...I have stalled for a week and just can not wait any longer. I am feeling so bad that she just has not improved at all..
kerri is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 06-07-2011, 07:43 AM   #62
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: sjl330
Stats: 184/141/140 5'7"
WOE: EFGT-Barry Groves
Start Date: January 2003
Yes, MK, that's the way I always look at it too, lol. I did drop a bit but nothing to get overly excited about yet. I do feel very satisfied with my shakes though, surprisingly. And I went out a little while ago and walked briskly and ran a bit for about 20 min. Again, nothing to get too excited about, but it's a start. I've been thinking of starting up running again. I've picked a heck of a time to start. In 100 degree weather!! I must be nuts!!!
sjl330 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 09:44 AM   #63

Gallery: CarolynF
Stats: 195/141/139
WOE: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Start Date: January 2001
Hi ladies..

Having a coffee shake for lunch..I had an Atkins bar for breakie..will have a normal dinner.

Sandy: How amazing....Run when it is cool..not in the heat..or run inside on the treadmill..watching tv..

Kerri: Hope your ddog is okay..

MK: Any luck on nursing homes??? or are you putting it off a bit?
I would see what the food was like at each one..

Big prayer request: Brett has an 8 a.m. interview at Koch in Wichita tomorrow..His gf is really praying hard, but the more prayers, the merrier..(don't think that is in the Bible, though)

CarolynF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 01:16 PM   #64
Princess Proofreader

Gallery: TuscanGirl
Stats: Sad/Happy/Wow 5'
WOE: Something like GL and LC and . . . .
Start Date: July 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolynF View Post

MK: Any luck on nursing homes??? or are you putting it off a bit?
I would see what the food was like at each one..

Big prayer request: Brett has an 8 a.m. interview at Koch in Wichita tomorrow..His gf is really praying hard, but the more prayers, the merrier..(don't think that is in the Bible, though)
I picked the one with the Alzeheimer's Unit and told them to put us on the list. They don't have an opening yet, though.

What dept is he interviewing? DH's cousin works there and DD27's Godfather. One is an atty and the other is an engineer.

Prayers of course!
I've picked a heck of a time to start. In 100 degree weather!! I must be nuts!!![/QUOTE]

You burn more calories when you sweat!! Go for it!
TuscanGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 03:18 PM   #65

Yes, it is important to be on the list..

I think he is interviewing for a Heat Transfer Engineering job.. Koch is huge, so I'm sure they have a process..

It is hot here...hot....
Old 06-07-2011, 05:56 PM   #66

Does the heat make you tired???? I'm just dragging today.. Hit the sack early with a good book.
Old 06-07-2011, 05:58 PM   #67
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: keysgirl
Stats: 118/114/108
WOE: EFGT and Protein Power
Hey Guys,

Well, so far so good. I've lost about a pd, but could be water. Still, it's nice to see the scale move down rather than up.

I had been taking the advice of this "nutritionist" who told me I'd burned out my adrenals by low-carbing. He advised me to add whole grains back into my diet, which only resulted in a 3 pd gain. I should never have listened...he's overweight himself!

Anyway, I'm pretty sure increasing my fat will continue to work. Just wondering if any of you found that you could eat more carbs once you increased your fat?

For the past 5 yrs, I've been trying to stay under 30 grams per day. Going up to 60 seems scary. How have you all dealt with that and what carbs do you eat? (I ordered Grove's latest book, which probably deals with this, but haven't gotten it yet).

Btw, as my name suggests, I live in the Florida Keys. No cicadas here. Thanks for your help!

Tanya
keysgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 06:57 PM   #68

Yes, I'm very tired tonight and my glute muscles are so sore. I don't know if it's from my weight workout yesterday or my running today?? Also I was pretty good at lunch. They did have SF margs so that was good! I got tacos al carbon less the tortillas and NO chips!! So overall, good day.
Old 06-08-2011, 05:33 AM   #69
Princess Proofreader

Hi Tanya!

I'm fun-sized (5 feet tall!) and over 50 so I have to severely limit my carbs - but depending on your age and size, you might still have some metabolism left!

I would also be happy to send you some cicadas! I'll pay shipping.

Carolyn - I seem to get this 2nd wind after my nighttime walk. I need to get to bed earlier since I'm always tired in the morning!

Sandy - sounds like a bit of both. If you really want to make them scream, do some lunges today!
Just helping!!

Weights this morning, then errands and taking a friend and her DD to an airport about an hour away. The trip up will be fun, I'll have to remember my book for the way home so I have something to listen to.

Circles of fashion are more like spirals, covering the same area but never arriving in the same place twice!

°°◊°°
Old 06-08-2011, 07:18 AM   #70
Junior LCF Member

Mary Kaye,

I'm 5'4" and 47, so there's definately been a metabolic slow down. I must limit carbs, but I was hoping that part of it was that I haven't been keeping the right ratios.

I'm not a big meat eater, which has always been a problem for me on an LC diet, so I may not have been getting enough protein - or maybe too much, as I was forcing myself to eat steak and chicken - and until now, I was scared of too much fat. So, no wonder my metabolism is screwed up! (at least I'm hoping it's not just age).

Anyway, I've been doing kickboxing. I know it probably won't help me lose much, but it's fun, and I feel stronger.

I'm up a sixth of a pd this morning, which was disappointing. I ate a salad with egg and avocado yesterday for lunch, and had roasted veggies with tofu (slathered in butter) for dinner.

I also made that sugar free pudding with heavy cream, which was really good, but perhaps it was too much fat for the day. A friend also handed me a bowl of beans and rice last night, which I ate a few bites of just to be polite, but sometimes, just that small amount of carbs will cause a gain (sigh).

I've never done ******. Do you all still use it or do you have a good sense of the ratios now?

Tanya
Old 06-08-2011, 10:03 AM   #71

Hi gals..

I think Brett is still in the middle of his interview..It was supposed to go from 8 to 1..Then he will stop by here on the way to OK..Hope I will be home. They changed my thyroid doctor's appointment to 2:30.

Tanya: Never take nutritional advise from a fat nutritionist..Consider Oprah and her many stabs at dieting..Fat should be about 65 percent of your intake.
Honestly, it is not tons of fat, so its good to keep track. If you raise your carbs, you lower your fat..Can't have both. WWers is based on high carb/
low fat. If you do LCarb and many of us can't have more than 30ish a day,
then you can eat more fat. ****** really helps.

MK: Sorry about your insects..I wonder if they will be in DeKalb, IL..We are going to visit some friends. We haven't seen them in 28 years..Time does fly by, doesn't it??

Sandy: Good for you on the sore glutes and the NO chips. One time I saw a couple using pork rinds at the Mexican restaurant for their salsa.

Buffy: Where are you???? We know that Cindy is out riding around Missouri.
Old 06-08-2011, 11:17 AM   #72

Well, I sucked it up and went running again this a.m. Not for very long. I'm easing into it, lol.
Old 06-08-2011, 12:22 PM   #73
Junior LCF Member

But doesn't Groves recommend 60 grams of carbs per day? Is that impractical in your experience?

I was excited by his advice that it's healthier not to live in ketosis, or close to it. Honestly, I feel that trying to do that for so long has made me insulin sensitive. I never used to have to avoid carbs to this degree to keep weight off - until I started LCing! Now, it seems like my body is starved for carbs.

The only reason I listened to the fat nutritionist is because he seemed right about that - the fewer carbs I've had, the fewer I CAN have. I worry that I foolishly took a well-functioning metabolism and messed it all up. He obviously doesn't have the answers, but I was hoping Groves does.

But it's discouraging if the carbs still have to stay under 30 grams. Isn't that basically Atkins? How is EFGT different?
Old 06-08-2011, 02:26 PM   #74

Everyone is so different on the amount of carbs..I'm 61, hypothyroid, etc..and need to stay around 30ish..because I like fat.

Barry is all about keeping the protein at a level that "works" for our bodies. It is important to figure out your "level"..Mine is about 70 grams a day for good weightloss.

No..you didn't mess up your metabolism when you LCed..You mess it up when you don't eat enough, so your body sllllloooowws down cuz it doesn't want to die from starvation.

Old 06-08-2011, 06:22 PM   #75
Always on, slightly off

Gallery: CindyCRNA
Stats: 152/132/121 Currently 120's lbs, 5'7" 52 years old
WOE: 35%/25%/45% (F,P,C 1850 calories/day)
Start Date: Raising carbs 1/10
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolynF View Post
Thinking of Cindy on the trail with her horse and this hot weather..
Uh, it was just a little toasty! Back early, off tomorrow to pick up trailer that got left there. LONG, convulted story but my BFF had to come back after 2 days due to the heat and I have to retrieve the camper we left after bringing the horses back but everyone is well. I will update everyone this weekend. Rain tomorrow?? Yeah!!
CindyCRNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 04:55 AM   #76
Princess Proofreader

Morning!

Tanya - I lived by ****** at the beginning!
Use it religiously until you feel comfortable on your own! Really!!

Cindy - Welcome back!
Details!!

Sandy - good job!!! Keep at it!!

Carolyn - did Brett make it home?? Check an online paper for Dekalb - they'll be whining about the cicadas if they have them!

Today is Insanity, possibly the weights from yesterday, errands, lunch out (again) and grocery store so we have something new for dinner! You can't live on leftovers forever!

Long 4 mile walk last night. Maybe we can do the same today!
Old 06-09-2011, 07:28 AM   #77
Junior LCF Member

Ok, I'll try ******.

Sorry, if I have silly questions, but is all fat equal? Do any of you find that certain fats help you lose more than others? And should I eat fats without protein?

Yesterday, I had a banana before kickboxing, then a salad with 2 eggs, cheese, tomato, green pepper, etc, with ranch dressing, and chicken breast with side of veggies (lots of butter)for dinner. Snacked on some nuts and slices of cheese in the afternoon. Did an hr of kickboxing.

And the scale didn't move this morning. It usually does when I'm eating LC. The only carby item was the banana.

Some LCers claim cheese stalls you, but the cheese has fat, right?

At least I'm not gaining, but I'd love to figure out what is stalling me.

Thanks for your help.

Tanya
Old 06-09-2011, 08:10 AM   #78
Princess Proofreader

No questions are stupid!

I can't have dairy, so no clue about cheese.

I ate too many carbs yesterday and lost.
Sometimes the best answer is

Are you drinking lots of water?
I don't get 8 glasses in, but i try to drink all day.

Maybe too many calories - though your menu didn't sound like it.

Use ****** today and tell us the totals and then I'll pass the baton to Captain Carolyn!
Old 06-09-2011, 08:55 AM   #79

Off to a meeting...be back later.

Yes, Brett made it home, we ate out and he arrived in OK at 10:30. Good thing he is young. He thought the interview went pretty well..he will know in 2 weeks..His potential boss was a KSU grad with and MEngineering degree, so maybe that will help.
Old 06-09-2011, 09:49 AM   #80
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: shmootz
Stats: 197.5/167/130
WOE: Lean for Life
Start Date: February 2009
Hi all,

Just looking for an active really active board, since I need a lot of support. I just started back on my plan 3 days ago. I just had my second baby (Luke) 6 weeks ago and I gained a lot of weight. I did so with my first child (Ashley, age 4) as well. Last time, I did Lindora at home (followed the book) and lost a lot of weight. So, I'm doing it again. Just wondering if it's cool to chime in with you gals?
shmootz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 12:30 PM   #81

Hi...

Laura..Congrats on your new baby.. You certainly can chime in anytime..I did Lean for Life a while and did lose, but missed my fat..It's a great plan..

Tanya: I think it would be very interesting if you put your food into ****** and see what comes up. Dr. A. always limited cheese to 4 ounces a day..and at 100 calories an ounce, it is easy to overeat that..(been there,done that). I never eat bananas..and eating them alone can cause a huge spike in your blood glucose..If you have fruit, it should be a LC one..berries, and after a meal with a bit of cream to slow down the reaction.. So, put your food into ****** and report back..LOL.
Old 06-09-2011, 01:35 PM   #82

Still doing well here. I went out to lunch with my daughter and we had hamburgers, no buns and a side salad. I was down a bit this a.m. but we all know how those first few days are. I gain fast, but I'm lucky that I lose fast too.
Old 06-09-2011, 01:39 PM   #83
Junior LCF Member

Thanks, Carolyn. I was just filling out ******, and what an eye opener! Yesterday's carb consumption was like 76 grams!

Maybe I haven't been doing LC afterall. I just cut out bread, rice, and pasta, but I've more than made up for it with snacks like peanuts, for instance. I'm cutting those out. They're not as LC as I thought, not to mention the calories.

And artichokes...I added those to the baked chicken breast last night (with red peppers and onions), and that added a lot of carbs. Wow. Who knew?

Today, for lunch, I had some of those veggie (soy) crumbles, a handful of grated cheese and salsa. Plus the heavy cream whipped with sugar free pudding, which is a nice treat with plenty of fat.

Will probably have salmon with buttered green beans for dinner and it looks like that will put me at app 80 grams fat, 30 grams carbs, and 43 grams protein. 985 calories.

I have kickboxing tomorrow, and it seemed like having the banana beforehand gave me more energy at first, but I probably don't need it. Not worth the extra carbs. I'll take potassium if necessary.

Tanya
Old 06-09-2011, 05:01 PM   #84
Princess Proofreader

Laura!!
Glad you're here!

Tanya - quite an eye opener isn't it!
I think I used to eat 1/2 a banana and usually with pnut butter.

Sandy - You do lose fast!! Lucky!

Carolyn - fingers crossed for Brett!!

I walked 2.7 miles in 95° heat today!! It felt amazing!
Of course I had to drive 13 miles to find a cicada-free park, but it was totally worth it!!
Old 06-09-2011, 07:15 PM   #85

So do they know where the cicadas are going when they leave your area MK? Please don't send them west!
Old 06-09-2011, 07:21 PM   #86

I am always listening for the cicadas..but no noise yet..We usually get them later on in the summer, I think..

Glad you used ******..It is an eyeopener..especially with carb creep..LOL..Those little carbs can creep up on ya..MK is right..Have a 1/2 banana with some peanut butter if
you think you need the energy..Kickboxing..Wowo..I'm impressed.
Old 06-09-2011, 07:29 PM   #87
Princess Proofreader

Sandy - this are the 13 year ones. They have a 1/2 mile travel radius.
If they would finish mating and get back in the ground soon, I'd be happy.

Carolyn - we have the regular cicadas too - they're not any trouble at all compared to these!
Old 06-09-2011, 07:45 PM   #88

So where and when are the 13 year cicadas expected to hit next time they decide to invade our peace and quiet?
Old 06-09-2011, 07:46 PM   #89
Princess Proofreader

They come back up wherever they go down. I just hope I've moved in 13 years!
Remind me to move, would you!
Old 06-10-2011, 07:32 AM   #90
Junior LCF Member

Well, I was really dragging during kickboxing. I missed my banana.

I mixed a vanilla protein powder in with my coffee and some cream. Almost like a Starbucks. Do any of you use protein shakes? I get these delicious ones from Jay Robb that are sweetened with stevia, and only 3 carbs. It's so much easier for me to get my protein that way since I'm not crazy for meat.

However, my gf says it's a whey isolate, which supposedly thins your hair. So, I'll have protein and get thin, but I'll be bald soon....

Tanya