Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Eat Fat, Get Thin
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-18-2011, 06:36 PM   #61
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mrbiggs007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aediekins View Post
Mr. Biggs I totally agree with you, sometimes our bodies just set themselves to a certain weight and we get stuck there.

A neighbor of mine when I was growing up was very into oriental and alternative medicines. She said that our bodies do "set" themselves at a certain weight and will naturally adjust our metabolism to stay there. She said that when we think of our weight we usually picture ourselves in our current state, or as the current number on the scale. Those thoughts enforce our bodies to remain in that set state.

She said to counteract that, we need to visualize ourselves getting skinnier and watching the scale move down. She suggested that every night before bed, think about getting on your scale and watching the numbers slowly go down until you reach your goal weight. Think about how it feels to be thin, and picture yourself wearing the clothes in the size you wish to be. And throughout the day, picture yourself standing on your scale with your goal weight on it, and imagine how you feel being that goal weight.

Mr Biggs, your post triggered that memory of what she said. She has since passed away. I remember I tried to do that when I was losing weight the first time and it must have helped, because I lost weight slowly but steadily. Unlike this time where I lost a pound and then stall for 2 weeks- LOL! I'm going to start doing this again. I gotta reprogram my body to SKINNY!!!
OK its time for some math. If you lose 1lb every 3 weeks, how many pounds in one year. Ok so we have 52/3 * 1 = anyone anyone Buller Buller the answer is 17.33lbs a year and in 3 yrs a loss of 52lbs. It doesn't seem like losing 1lb every 3 weeks is a lot but it will easily get you where u want eventually. I see people who freak out about this, but you have to remember you changed your life for good, not for a year. Most of us have lost lots of weight and put it back on. If it took me 10 years to get to 230lbs, I would do it. I know that what I'm doing will work even if I don't exercise or starve myself. When I get to my goal weight I will actually have to start eating more carbs to stop the weight loss. It takes time, but if we rush it, we just put it back on. Your doing great and don't let the small loss fool you, it will add up to huge success.

Last edited by mrbiggs007; 04-18-2011 at 06:38 PM..
mrbiggs007 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-18-2011, 07:03 PM   #62
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Aediekins
Stats: St/199 Curr/163 Goal/155
WOE: Low-Carb
Start Date: 8 more lbs to go!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbiggs007 View Post
OK its time for some math. If you lose 1lb every 3 weeks, how many pounds in one year. Ok so we have 52/3 * 1 = anyone anyone Buller Buller the answer is 17.33lbs a year and in 3 yrs a loss of 52lbs. It doesn't seem like losing 1lb every 3 weeks is a lot but it will easily get you where u want eventually. I see people who freak out about this, but you have to remember you changed your life for good, not for a year. Most of us have lost lots of weight and put it back on. If it took me 10 years to get to 230lbs, I would do it. I know that what I'm doing will work even if I don't exercise or starve myself. When I get to my goal weight I will actually have to start eating more carbs to stop the weight loss. It takes time, but if we rush it, we just put it back on. Your doing great and don't let the small loss fool you, it will add up to huge success.
Oh don't worry, I'm not giving up.... just offering up an alternative to help people break through a stall. I was stalled at 171 for a whole month going back on Atkins. Then I did the first 2 weeks of "6-week cure to the Middle-Aged middle" and dropped down to 166. Now I've been stuck at 166 for 2 or 3 weeks now. I'de be happy to lose 1 lb a week, but I get nothing. And one pound every 3 weeks is not enough for me right now to be be happy =) I know the last 10 lbs are the hardest to get off, so I know it's going to be a battle.

But shoot, if we could lose weight just by thinking about it.... wouldn't that be neat!

Low-Carb foods are not created equal
Enjoy- cream, butter, coconut oil, olive oil, fresh chicken, fish, beef, pork, bacon, sausage, cheese, LC veggies, berries/melon, dressings, stevia, chocolate (75% cocoa) and red wine
Avoid - Mayo, canola oil, too much protein, processed LC foods (tortillas, candy, shakes, bars) Splenda and other artificial sweeteners, corn products (xanthan gum, dextrose, maltodextrin)
Aediekins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 07:24 PM   #63
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mermaid
Stats: 244/145 (highest weight ever 293)
WOE: HCG homeopathic Atkins/fat fast
Start Date: restart 12/24/13
Quote:
Oh don't worry, I'm not giving up.... just offering up an alternative to help people break through a stall. I was stalled at 171 for a whole month going back on Atkins. Then I did the first 2 weeks of "6-week cure to the Middle-Aged middle" and dropped down to 166. Now I've been stuck at 166 for 2 or 3 weeks now. I'de be happy to lose 1 lb a week, but I get nothing. And one pound every 3 weeks is not enough for me right now to be be happy =) I know the last 10 lbs are the hardest to get off, so I know it's going to be a battle.

But shoot, if we could lose weight just by thinking about it.... wouldn't that be neat!
Check out Jon Gabriel (google). He did lose 200 pounds by "thinking about it." His method has not worked for me, but then again, almost nothing does, lol. I did also try eating lotsa fat, but I think maybe my liver can't handle it or something. I can lose about a pound a day on the modified fat fast, but then I get really sick. Still, I think it's all quite fascinating and glad you're all having success with it.
mermaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 10:15 PM   #64
Major LCF Poster!

I looked it up, seems kinda skeevy.
Old 04-19-2011, 04:55 AM   #65
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ChristineCQ
Stats: 234/192/159 (5'7")
WOE: DANDR
Start Date: 7/26/10 (re-start; original start 6/03)
Can I also think myself rich? 'Cause I'd really like to do that!
ChristineCQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 06:35 AM   #66
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
I looked it up, seems kinda skeevy.

He really did lose that much weight. I enjoyed the book, and his self-hypnosis track (which you can download for free) really helped me sleep and did seem to make me want to eat less. I don't think I could just do that and not be on some sort of weight loss plan, though. I alternate Jon's track with Paul McKenna just for a little variety and they both help, although they have different approaches.
Old 04-19-2011, 06:37 AM   #67
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineCQ View Post
Can I also think myself rich? 'Cause I'd really like to do that!
Some people think you can. My theory, though, is that you get rich by making OTHERS think they can get rich by thinking themselves rich.
Old 04-19-2011, 07:24 AM   #68
Senior LCF Member

Ok, so can a person think themselves thin? I would say yes, but I would also say the real reason it works has nothing to do with thinking about being thin. The single biggest road block to losing weight is overeating. That is why gastric bypass surgery works so well for awhile, because you can't eat. If doing some mental meditation can get you to stop eating, or to eat very little, then you will lose weight. Ghandi starved himself, and he had a mental strategy that he used to accomplish this goal. The real question to ask our selves is this. Do I want to starve myself or do I want to fix the problem itself. I want to fix the problem, not starve. I can meditate for years and starve myself and maybe even starve myself for the rest of my life to lose and keep of the weight. But Why? I see no upside to it. I want to pig out here and there and at the same time just not care about eating other days. I want to be freed from worrying about what I eat, not using the force to block out my hunger. I say let the mentalist try to think he's not hungry and I will just prevent my body from getting hungry.

I hope this makes sense and will help someone.
Your comments and support are such an inspiration everyone. Thank You so much.

Last edited by mrbiggs007; 04-19-2011 at 07:25 AM..
Old 04-19-2011, 08:00 AM   #69
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Ok, so can a person think themselves thin? I would say yes, but I would also say the real reason it works has nothing to do with thinking about being thin. The single biggest road block to losing weight is overeating. That is why gastric bypass surgery works so well for awhile, because you can't eat. If doing some mental meditation can get you to stop eating, or to eat very little, then you will lose weight. Ghandi starved himself, and he had a mental strategy that he used to accomplish this goal. The real question to ask our selves is this. Do I want to starve myself or do I want to fix the problem itself. I want to fix the problem, not starve. I can meditate for years and starve myself and maybe even starve myself for the rest of my life to lose and keep of the weight. But Why? I see no upside to it. I want to pig out here and there and at the same time just not care about eating other days. I want to be freed from worrying about what I eat, not using the force to block out my hunger. I say let the mentalist try to think he's not hungry and I will just prevent my body from getting hungry.

I hope this makes sense and will help someone.
Your comments and support are such an inspiration everyone. Thank You so much.
Very good questions. It depends on what area of the mind, conscious or subconscious, is doing the "thinking." When you engage your subconscious, and deeply relax, then it seems that you are more likely to make health choices that are in line with what your body needs and when that happens the weight can come off. I think I ate less because I slept better and was more relaxed. I'm actually not plugging Jon's book, but to be fair he has a lot of psychological explanations of why people stay fat and I did find it interesting. I've long ago stopped following gurus though. I just take and use what makes sense to me or works for me and leave the rest behind.

Congrats on your success by the way!
Old 04-19-2011, 02:01 PM   #70
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Losha
Stats: 245/223/170
WOE: Atkins/Eat Fat, Get Thin
Start Date: Atkins: 2/14/11, EFGT: 3/31/11
1.) I have to give props to Mr. Biggs for a Bueller reference!
2.) The mental question. That's a tough one ;D For me, it's double-edged. On the one side, I think that if people could think themselves thin, we probably wouldn't even be on this forum, lol! In my previous diet adventures, I've touched on McKenna as well, playing the cd at night, trying to change the way I eat and think about food. Just like all my other diets, I'm at the end of 2 weeks (or a month, or many months, you get the idea ;p) and I'm back to ground zero.
But on the flip side of that, I do think a lot of weight-loss success is mental. Sure, we know that low-carb works but how many of us have done it in the past and are picking it back up again? Or doing it this time but depressingly confident that this time won't be the last? Where is that mental breakthrough that makes this diet the 'one' or not the ‘one’?
I think a lot of what Mr. Biggs said has to do with it. The knowledge that even if this takes me 10 YEARS, I'm going to stick to it. That's some pretty heady stuff! The decision to say "You know what? I believe that this is right, no matter how long it takes or how hard, it's the way that works." When you start that mantra, you start the journey of the rest of your life. It's an acceptance of self.
Yes, there will be setbacks. Yes, I'm going to have that glass of wine (or 4 ). Yes, I just had a twinkie, a bag of chips AND a 1/2 gallon of ice cream over the weekend. But it’s when you let those slip-ups begin to identify you, that’s where problems develop. “Oh, that’s so bad for me, I’m done with this diet!” Or “Well, this week is already shot, might as well have some of that bread too,” etc. Believing that a slip-up identifies you or not, well that's what makes 1 person stay on the band wagon and the other person fall to the side. In my opinion, that’s where the mental aspect of things comes into play.
So I guess in a roundabout way, mentality CAN make you thin! But I think it’s more about persistence. About self-acceptance. About confidence. The things that you have to build and possess to achieve a successful weight-loss journey.
Losha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 02:12 PM   #71
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Angcould
Stats: 196 current/187 first goal
WOE: Low carb - Atkins/Protein Power
Start Date: May 6, 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Losha View Post
1.) I have to give props to Mr. Biggs for a Bueller reference!
2.) The mental question. That's a tough one ;D For me, it's double-edged. On the one side, I think that if people could think themselves thin, we probably wouldn't even be on this forum, lol! In my previous diet adventures, I've touched on McKenna as well, playing the cd at night, trying to change the way I eat and think about food. Just like all my other diets, I'm at the end of 2 weeks (or a month, or many months, you get the idea ;p) and I'm back to ground zero.
But on the flip side of that, I do think a lot of weight-loss success is mental. Sure, we know that low-carb works but how many of us have done it in the past and are picking it back up again? Or doing it this time but depressingly confident that this time won't be the last? Where is that mental breakthrough that makes this diet the 'one' or not the ‘one’?
I think a lot of what Mr. Biggs said has to do with it. The knowledge that even if this takes me 10 YEARS, I'm going to stick to it. That's some pretty heady stuff! The decision to say "You know what? I believe that this is right, no matter how long it takes or how hard, it's the way that works." When you start that mantra, you start the journey of the rest of your life. It's an acceptance of self.
Yes, there will be setbacks. Yes, I'm going to have that glass of wine (or 4 ). Yes, I just had a twinkie, a bag of chips AND a 1/2 gallon of ice cream over the weekend. But it’s when you let those slip-ups begin to identify you, that’s where problems develop. “Oh, that’s so bad for me, I’m done with this diet!” Or “Well, this week is already shot, might as well have some of that bread too,” etc. Believing that a slip-up identifies you or not, well that's what makes 1 person stay on the band wagon and the other person fall to the side. In my opinion, that’s where the mental aspect of things comes into play.
So I guess in a roundabout way, mentality CAN make you thin! But I think it’s more about persistence. About self-acceptance. About confidence. The things that you have to build and possess to achieve a successful weight-loss journey.
Very Very well said your self!!!! thanks you all for the mental shake up, I knew going into this that since 6 years ago this was a "journey" I was on to get to a healthier self.... as it took me more then 6 years to get to an unhealthy state I really shouldn't have expected it to reverse in less time!! lol.... so I will slow down and reevaluate what it is I want from all this, and really start paying attention to what my body wants as everyone's is obviously different so that may mean tweeking this way of eating around until I start seeing the results that my mind and body will both be happy with!
Angcould is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 03:13 PM   #72
Senior LCF Member

Has anyone tried the carb smart ice cream. Its good and only 4 carb for 1/2 cup
Old 04-19-2011, 03:29 PM   #73
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: pgray1229
WOE: EFGT
Start Date: May 7, 2011
MrBiggs is my husband. I have seen nothing but wonderful things happen to him since beginning this WOL.

He's even gotten me to eat this way. I've been on this program for 5 days and I have lost 7 pounds. I did Weight Watchers before Christmas, lost 35lbs but sadly gained back 25 when I stopped.

This WOL is awesome! My husband has the best ideas for dinner and at night we make sure we get something sweet, but low carb/high fat, just so I stick with it. I love not being so hungry all the time!! I will eat eggs, bacon and cheese for breakfast and it will keep me full for 5-6 hours! It's great!!
DD Samantha - 23 months

Start Date - 5/9/11
Highest Weight 309
5/15/11 - 300 -9
LTG - 200
pgray1229 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 10:06 AM   #74
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: CarolynF
Stats: 195/141/139
WOE: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Start Date: January 2001
Quote:
Has anyone tried the carb smart ice cream. Its good and only 4 carb for 1/2 cup
Yup, but it causes gastric distress in me..LOL..I make my own ice cream and love it..It's good when only 2 peeps are eating it, because it doesn't make a ton.

I was listening to Jimmy Moore's interview with Greg Ellis and he advocates
high fat/watch your protein, too. He said that 66 percent of the protein you eat acts like carbs..
CarolynF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 10:06 AM   #75

Hi...Welcome, Patience.. You are a busy mom...
Old 04-20-2011, 10:37 AM   #76
Major LCF Poster!

Carolyn, 66% does? no matter if you're eating very little of it?
Old 04-20-2011, 11:25 AM   #77
Senior LCF Member

I had heard 58% but 66% would seem just as likely. I think the main thing is to learn that protein cannot be eaten recklessly, or you will not lose.
Old 04-20-2011, 02:34 PM   #78

Well, the 66 percent was a surprise to me, too..But Dr. Greg Ellis has done lots of research, so I am assuming that that is correct..I'll have to make sure I heard that right, too..LOL..

I don't think it is the excess amount, I think it is what happens to protein in the body.
Dr. Bernstein recommends that peeps start out with 4 ounces at a meal, and if they
can't regulate their sugar levels, then drop it down to 3 ounces..

So, if we had a 4 ounce burger, the more fat the better, and fat will slow down the
effect that protein has on sugar levels. So, if there are 18 grams of protein and 10 grams of fat, then 12 grams of that protein will act like carbs..

That is my understanding..

Old 04-20-2011, 02:48 PM   #79

Here is a blip on the minimum amount of protein we should eat.

How much protein do we need?

Our protein needs depend on our age, size, and activity level. The standard method used by nutritionists to estimate our minimum daily protein requirement is to multiply the body weight in kilograms by .8, or weight in pounds by .37. This is the number of grams of protein that should be the daily minimum. According to this method, a person weighing 150 lbs. should eat 55 grams of protein per day, a 200-pound person should get 74 grams, and a 250-pound person should eat 92 grams.
Old 04-20-2011, 06:31 PM   #80
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolynF View Post
Y
I was listening to Jimmy Moore's interview with Greg Ellis and he advocates
high fat/watch your protein, too. He said that 66 percent of the protein you eat acts like carbs..
THAT is bad news. Hopefully, though, if you only eat what your body needs for actual protein uses, it will prefer to use it that way and just burn the excess as carbs. hopefully.
Old 04-20-2011, 11:41 PM   #81
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Here is a blip on the minimum amount of protein we should eat.

How much protein do we need?

Our protein needs depend on our age, size, and activity level. The standard method used by nutritionists to estimate our minimum daily protein requirement is to multiply the body weight in kilograms by .8, or weight in pounds by .37. This is the number of grams of protein that should be the daily minimum. According to this method, a person weighing 150 lbs. should eat 55 grams of protein per day, a 200-pound person should get 74 grams, and a 250-pound person should eat 92 grams.
WOW! Good info to have. My goal is 150 lbs, so I guess I shouldn't eat more than 55 grams of protein per day. That's gonna be hard.

I have to wonder how much protein really can be like carbs. I mean if I eat too much shredded beef, it doesn't trigger cravings and such. So too much protein might still be better than carbs. I get the logic behind it... but it's like saying all calories are equal.... something just doesn't sit right with comparing excess protein to carbs.

Maybe I'm missing something....
Old 04-21-2011, 08:08 AM   #82
Senior LCF Member

Just some info for everybody. I started drinking ice tea in large quantity and it dehydrated me and stalled me. I also felt like I started to get a UTI. I started water only and started losing again and feeling better. Coffee and Tea in my opinion are trouble.

On a side note: I would say anyone who is low carb should not go below 1 gram of protein per kg of lean body mass and not more than 1 gram of protein per lb of lean body mass.

weight 250lbs with a lean body mass of 200lb
low side 90grams high side 200grams

I would think somewhere in the middle is perfect, at say 150grams
Old 04-21-2011, 08:12 AM   #83
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
WOW! Good info to have. My goal is 150 lbs, so I guess I shouldn't eat more than 55 grams of protein per day. That's gonna be hard.

I have to wonder how much protein really can be like carbs. I mean if I eat too much shredded beef, it doesn't trigger cravings and such. So too much protein might still be better than carbs. I get the logic behind it... but it's like saying all calories are equal.... something just doesn't sit right with comparing excess protein to carbs.

Maybe I'm missing something....
I was thinking about your situation and had this thought. Maybe you need a system shock to start losing again. You might try if you want to have a high carb meal. If you can handle it then maybe it might be what your body needs to restart the cycle again.
Old 04-21-2011, 11:40 AM   #84

Well, the 55 grams are the minimum amount for a person who weighs 150..

Lean body weight is alot different than "real body weight"..My LBW is around 95 pounds..
My protein level at 152 should be around 70 cuz I exercise..

Yes, Mr. dehydration is not good for anyone and too much tea and coffee can dehydrate for sure..

Chelsie: all calories aren't equal, but 100 percent of carbs goes into glucose, let's say
58 percent of protein goes into glucose, and only 10 percent of fat goes into glucose..
I think those were Dr. A.'s numbers.
Old 04-21-2011, 02:22 PM   #85
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: pgray1229
WOE: EFGT
Start Date: May 7, 2011
Quote:
Hi...Welcome, Patience.. You are a busy mom...
Hello! and thank you
pgray1229 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 03:04 PM   #86
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
I was thinking about your situation and had this thought. Maybe you need a system shock to start losing again. You might try if you want to have a high carb meal. If you can handle it then maybe it might be what your body needs to restart the cycle again.
Yeah, last time I was fed up and I had 1/2 cup of real ice cream and in the morning I had lost. Strange. But my body definitely does that... needs a "shock" every now and then. I might do that and see what happens.
Old 04-21-2011, 03:26 PM   #87
Major LCF Poster!

Okay, it was time for lunch here, so I just committed complete carbacide. I might just have a few carbs at dinner too, and then get back on the wagon in the morning. Not sure yet.
Old 04-21-2011, 04:49 PM   #88
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Okay, it was time for lunch here, so I just committed complete carbacide. I might just have a few carbs at dinner too, and then get back on the wagon in the morning. Not sure yet.
Don't sweat it. I bet your gonna start losing again soon. Sometimes having a cheat day gets the ball rolling.
Old 04-21-2011, 07:05 PM   #89
Major LCF Poster!

Here is what is funny... since I'm cheating, I have been eating a little bit of the foods I missed. Had a bit of my son's mac n cheese, meh. Had a bowl of cereal, meh... didn't even finish it. Had a half of a bagle earlier and that actually tasted pretty darn good. I had a tortilla with some beans and cheese on it. Again- meh. I didn't even finish the cereal or the tortilla.

I am just surprised that none of tasted very good. I guess since there are so many decent "subs" for things, I really am not missing very much. I don't even have any real bread in the house, now that might be pretty tasty =)
Old 04-21-2011, 07:09 PM   #90

Chelsie: It will be interesting to see how you feel tomorrow..After having some carbies on Sunday, I was sooooo tired on Monday....