Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Eat Fat, Get Thin
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-14-2010, 11:24 AM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: WendyK1974
WOE: low carb
EFGT people..what do you eat?

I couldn't figure out what to title this.

Ok, so I follow EFGT fairly closely. I make sure to always have lots of fat, I usually eat breakfast (lots of protein), and I stick to three meals per day. The author says one can eat up to around 60 grams. I just wonder what people are eating that would even get them to 60 grams. If I avoid all grains, potatoes, fruits, and corn I can't even come close. And I kind of do want to come close because I want to feel like I have options if you KWIM. I don't eat fruit because I don't like it. I do eat plenty of veggies because I love veggies. But I couldn't come close to 60 grams per day on that.

So lately I've been experimenting with some higher carb things. For example, I sometimes have the Dreamfields. That has been absolutely fine. I made some low carb bread (5 grams per slice). That caused me no problems. Then today I ate a 13 gram hot dog bun with my hot dog (I put extra butter on it and fried it on the pan and had a nice fatty beef hot dog). So far so good. I just feel like I'm cheating now with these items. LOL

Do any of you eat these sorts of things without problems? If you aren't eating these things are you coming close to 60 grams per day? If so, what are you eating?
WendyK1974 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 12-14-2010, 02:13 PM   #2
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: CarolynF
Stats: 195/141/139
WOE: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Start Date: January 2001
Hi Wendy,

Well, the 60 gram theory is the top of the food chain..If you are young and muscular.
However, alot of us cannot do the 60 with any success, but shoot much lower than that.

However, Barry's big point is that you can't eat limitless protein and lose..So, figure out your protein amounts..Like take your lean body weight and divide by .6 for the grams per day.

Everyone is different on the amount of carbs. Wendy, you may be able to enjoy these high carby things along with veggies and do okay...Keep track of it and if you gain
while eating 60 carbs, then kick back until you start losing.

CarolynF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 11:17 AM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: synger
Stats: Start: 310 Current: 259
WOE: Calorie and carb counting, IR Diet framework
Start Date: IR/PCOS: Dx pre-diabetic 3/2010
If you want to increase your carbs a little bit, but not add grains and sugars, I would suggest beans and lentils. 1/2 cup of cooked beans or lentils have a good 20 grams of carbs. And lots of good fiber, too! Chickpeas are in that group as well.

Some vegetables do have more than 5 grams of carb/serving. A few more of these here and there will increase your carbs a little without going overboard.

squash
artichoke
avacado
chickpeas
carrots
green peas
leeks
lentils
okra
onion
pumpkin
zucchini

Also, some plain yogurts have about 10 grams carb/serving. Some nuts (cashews and peanut butter) have 5 grams or so.

And if you go with some limited grains/starches, half a cup of bulgar wheat (like you make tabouli with) or 1/4 cup of oatmeal (dry) provides about 14 grams. 1/2 cup of cooked barley is about 22, as is a sweet potato.

I'd suggest that if you want to increase your carbs, you set a daily limit lower than 60 carbs and eat to that limit for about a month. See how you feel and whether you are losing weight. If you still are, you might be able to increase it more. Do that until you get to the "allowed" 60 grams, or you stop losing and choose to go back down to a lower level.
synger is offline   Reply With Quote