Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Eat Fat, Get Thin
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-27-2010, 09:05 AM   #241
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: CarolynF
Stats: 195/141/139
WOE: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Start Date: January 2001
Yup, Buffy..you do need to get up there and see him face to face if you can.. You won't stop anywhere near "us", huh???

Beautiful fallish day here..I love this weather, don't you?

Ds is recovering from sleeping on the couch in Manhattan with his friends..Time to get back to looking for a job. LOL..I'm hoping the KCity Genesys job works out for him..
It's in God's hands..It's on 85th Street in KCity..????
CarolynF is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-27-2010, 12:21 PM   #242

Gallery: sjl330
Stats: 184/141/140 5'7"
WOE: EFGT-Barry Groves
Start Date: January 2003
When is Brett supposed to hear something?

I went to the funeral this a.m. It was a graveside service. I'd never been to a Jewish funeral before. Since this is the middle of one of the high holy seasons any funeral services, etc. are to kept very low key. That's what the Rabbi said. It was a very nice service. And I was able to find it with my Yahoo directions pretty easily.
sjl330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 01:12 PM   #243
Princess Proofreader

Gallery: TuscanGirl
Stats: Sad/Happy/Wow 5'
WOE: Something like GL and LC and . . . .
Start Date: July 2003
Gorgeous day here too!
TuscanGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 01:21 PM   #244

Sandy, that is a good question. The man said that they would evaluate his file and the openings, etc..and let him know. I know he needs another interview to get hired for sure.
So..keep those prayers coming..

Oh..I never been to a Jewish funeral, but I know they like to bury their dead very quickly.
How sad for your dear friend, but glad it was a nice service.
Old 09-27-2010, 08:27 PM   #245
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Buffy45
Stats: Type 2 Diabetic as of 6/1/08
WOE: LC/MP/HF
Start Date: Restart 7/1/2014
Beautiful fall day here as well.

Talked to DB again today and he sounded even better than yesterday. They are evaluating his medications and seems that he was on way too much Xanax, DSIL kept calling his Dr. saying he was just acting crazy and they kept upping his dosage it seems. And now, I have one sister saying that I need to stay out of things, I am causing trouble and it is none of my business. Someone has to look out for him, grrrr, I am so upset.
I will continue to call every day but as he is doing well, will probably go up towards the weekend when I can spend more time with him, during the week the nurse said they keep visiting hours very limited. Also, will be able to see my DD and cousin if I go on the weekend. So, maybe will drive up Fri.
Carolyn, would love, love to see you but probably will be a straight drive up and then back. Thanks for asking..
Sandy, glad it was a nice service for your friend. So sad.
Old 09-28-2010, 04:21 AM   #246
Princess Proofreader

Morning!

In a few minutes, I'm meeting my neighbor for our walk, then a flu shot, and off to visit mom!
Soccer game this evening!

Hope everyone has a good day!
Old 09-28-2010, 05:58 AM   #247
Big Yapper!!!!

Morning
Up early for me, still drinking my coffee and trying to wake up.
Office work today.
Need to pull out some fallish stuff to take to Omaha.
Buffy45 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 08:36 AM   #248

Hi ladies..

Still at 147..minor miracle there..

Dianne and I are taking the old lady bus to KCity for the matinee of the Sunshine Boys.
It will be a long day, but the play should be great with Howard Hessman in it..LOL.

Buffy: It is so hard when you have an incompetent sister in law..Prayers of healing for your brother and safe travels for you..Pack warm..but you never know.

MK: Flu shot for me, too, today..at dh's office..
Old 09-28-2010, 10:23 AM   #249

When r u going Carolyn? It's a cute play.
Old 09-28-2010, 10:27 AM   #250
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: susique333
Stats: started at 230+ Type2 Diabetes Insulin
WOE: LOW CARB, higher fat
Start Date: summer 2007 RESTART May 2012
Happy Tuesday ladies. Just left Wally World with groceries, making baked chicken for supper tonight. Love having the oven on! Flu shots? I guess it is that time again!

Buffy, our mornings here in Omaha have been hovering right around 47-50` which is pretty chilly. Usually nice by mid afternoon.
susique333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 01:32 PM   #251
Princess Proofreader

Long day with mom!
Unloaded the dishwasher, walked the dog, and now off to a soccer game!
I'm so tired.
Old 09-28-2010, 03:34 PM   #252

I'm going tomorrow..It's all day bus trip..We leave here at 8:20 and get home at 6:40.
Good thing there is a bathroom on the bus..

Oh..this year's flu shot has the H1N1 in it, too..
Old 09-28-2010, 04:13 PM   #253
Always on, slightly off

Gallery: CindyCRNA
Stats: 152/132/121 Currently 120's lbs, 5'7" 52 years old
WOE: 35%/25%/45% (F,P,C 1850 calories/day)
Start Date: Raising carbs 1/10
Rode DHOR10 at Hillsdale lake. Sweet boy had never seen a lake. Lots of creeks but never a lake. And it made noise. You know, from the waves hitting the shore. He wouldn't walk up to the waters edge so I got off of him and led him up to it. He LOVES water. Loves to play in the creek when we ride but this was a whole different story. I led him up and he put his nose to the water. Just then, a little 1" wave hit his nose and he jumped back 10'!! Poor baby! It was so funny though!

My Avi is my horse Chakka and me Longview horse trials 5/14

"Go sell crazy someplace else. We're all stocked up here!"

Official freer of canned worms

Find me on Facebook: Cindy Cavanagh
CindyCRNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 04:40 PM   #254

Ohhhh, I bet that was cute Cindy. Poor sheltered thing, lol.

Have fun tomorrow Carolyn. DH's Dr. said he doesn't rec the flu shot. He said take plenty of D3 and wash your hands a lot. He doesn't trust all the mercury?? I'm undecided so far. I don't know what I'll do at this point.
Old 09-29-2010, 04:33 AM   #255
Princess Proofreader

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolynF View Post

Oh..this year's flu shot has the H1N1 in it, too..
Good to know! Thanks!

Cindy - too cute!!!

Sandy - I just get one every year. First to not get what the kids brought home and not to try to keep my mom healthy!

Soccer team lost last night. It was a long way to drive to lose!

DD 23 comes home tomorrow night!!

Can we weigh-in this morning? I'm skinny today!
Old 09-29-2010, 05:26 AM   #256

Hey Carolyn, if you happen to see this before you leave this a.m. I thought you'd be interested to know that the guy who plays the nephew in the play with Howard Hesseman is my dad's next door neighbor! Enjoy.

I've always gotten the flu shots too MK, in the past, but I'm on the fence this year. I hate that they combined the H1N1 into the regular one, but you know, they had to use up all that vaccine they made last year that came out too late for everybody to get it then. And then, IMHO, wasn't even really needed. I just hate getting/taking things I really don't think I need. So, I'm still mulling it over trying to decide. I'll probably end up getting one in the end. Well not literally my end, it'll go in my arm, lol.

I made those 2 cakes. The winner for taste and moistness was the black bean cake. I didn't tell DH it had beans in it, lol.

At the beach.... time you enjoyed wasting, is NOT time wasted. TS ELLIOT
Old 09-29-2010, 07:47 AM   #257
Big Yapper!!!!

Morning
I know my Dr. will want me to get the fu shot with my history. DH never does but he's so healthy,
Brother sounds good, they have decreased and changed his meds and that is really helping. Must do more extensive testing before he can even think of leaving there so I am going up to see him this weekend. He is looking forward to it. Will also be able to see my DD and cousin while I am there, so can combine it all.
Need to finish up 2009 taxes today and get them ready to go to CPA. Can you say "geez, last minute, once again"?????
Tomorrow pack and get my nails done. Will leave bright and early Fri. AM so that I get there in time for visiting hours Fri. eve.
It has been years and years since I have driven in Omaha, thank heavens for my GPS. Looks like it has gone west, west, west. Used to shop at Crossroads years ago and can remember when Westroads was new and da bomb!!! Think Crossroads is pretty much gone by now and I think I heard Westroads had gone downhill as well. My DD and cousin know the town pretty well though.
Any great restaurants out on west loop of 680 Susie? That is probably where we will be staying.
Old 09-29-2010, 11:10 AM   #258

Buffy, have a safe trip. Just a heads up, if you go I-35 beware. There is a ton of construction going on and from what I've heard it will really slow you down so you might want to plan accordingly. I'd hate to see you miss visiting hours after driving all day long in the hopes of seeing him when you get there.
Old 09-29-2010, 12:54 PM   #259
Big Yapper!!!!

In what area Sandy?
I usually go 35 to Wichita, KS, then continue staight north on 135 to 80 in NE. Will that miss all the construciton or not?

Thanks so much for the heads up.
Old 09-29-2010, 01:23 PM   #260

So that goes through Kansas City right? I don't know exactly where the construction is. I just know 2 different people who've mentioned how bad it was to me. One was going to MN and one to Ankeny, IA. I bet you could call the highway patrol for MO and they could tell you what's happening between KC and Omaha. Just to be on the safe side.
Old 09-29-2010, 06:32 PM   #261
Princess Proofreader

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjl330 View Post
So, I'm still mulling it over trying to decide. I'll probably end up getting one in the end. Well not literally my end, it'll go in my arm, lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjl330 View Post
I made those 2 cakes. The winner for taste and moistness was the black bean cake. I didn't tell DH it had beans in it, lol.
Which recipe did you use?

Buffy go to MoDot
And look at all the construction!
Old 09-29-2010, 07:30 PM   #262

For the almond cake I used Carolyn's recipe but used almond flour instead of pecans:
Chocolate Pecan Torte (Cake).
I believe this is a Laura Dolson recipe, but it makes the best chocolate cake ever..very moist and nommie.

I made this in a 9 inch round cake and cooked it exactly for 25 minutes and it was perfect.

Chocolate Pecan Torte (Cake).

Ingredients:
2 cups pecans
1/3 cup cocoa
1 t baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
4 eggs
1/2 cup (I stick) butter, melted
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 cup erythritol (optional)
Artificial sweetener equivalent to 1 cup sugar I use zero-carb liquid sweeteners .
1/2 cup water

Preparation:
Heat oven to 350 F. Grease a 8 or 9" round pan or springform pan.

1) Process pecans in food processor - pulse until they are meal - but they won't get quite as small as corn meal.

2) Add the rest of the dry ingredients and pulse again. (Note on erythritol: You can do this recipe with all artificial sweetener, but I've begun experimenting with partial erythritol, with success. I haven't tested all different combinations yet, though - it may be that more erythritol is even better.)

3) Add the wet ingredients and process until well-blended.

4) Pour into pan and bake. The exact time will vary with the pan. Start checking at about 25 minutes until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.

5) Cut when cool. If desired, serve with homemade whipped cream and/or chocolate sauce.

Nutritional Information: Each of 8 servings has 2 grams of effective carbohydrate plus 4 grams of fiber, 6 grams of protein, and 334 calories.

and for the black bean cake I used this recipe:
Chocolate Layer Cake w/Buttercream Frosting
This chocolate cake is adapted from the black bean brownies Caroline posted and Char tweaked. Thanks you two! There's no trace of beaniness here--just rich chocolate taste! You have to let it sit overnight for the best flavor. With beans so cheap, there no reason not to try it!

As always, more tips and photos here, at my blog.

Healthy Chocolate Cake
Adapted from a recipe at LowCarbFriends

Makes a single 9" layer cake, which can be halved and stacked for the taller cake you see here!

Preparation:
1-15 ounce can of unseasoned black beans
OR 1 1/4 cup cooked beans, any color
5 large eggs
1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
6 tablespoons unsalted organic butter OR extra virgin coconut oil
3/4 cup erythritol plus 1/2 teaspoon pure stevia extract OR 1/4-1/3 cup honey plus 1 teaspoon stevia
6 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
1 teaspoon aluminum-free baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 tablespoon water (omit if using honey)

Preparation:
Preheat oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit. Spray a 9" cake pan with extra virgin olive oil cooking spray, or just grease it with a thin layer of butter. Dust cocoa all over the inside of the pan, tapping to evenly distribute. Cut a round of parchment paper and line the bottom of the pan, then spray the parchment lightly.

Drain and rinse beans in a strainer or colander. Shake off excess water. Place beans, 3 of the eggs, vanilla, stevia (if using) and salt into blender. Blend on high until beans are completely liquefied. No lumps! Whisk together cocoa powder, baking soda, and baking powder. Beat butter with sweetener (erythritol or honey) until light and fluffy. Add remaining two eggs, beating for a minute after each addition. Pour bean batter into egg mixture and mix. Finally, stir in cocoa powder and water (if using), and beat the batter on high for one minute, until smooth. Scrape batter into pan and smooth the top. Grip pan firmly by the edges and rap it on the counter a few times to pop any air bubbles.

Bake for 325 degrees for 45 minutes. You may need a little longer, as my oven runs hot. Cake is done with the top is rounded and firm to the touch. After 10 minutes, turn out cake from pan, and flip over again on to a cooling rack. Let cool until cake reaches room temperature, then cover in plastic wrap or with cake dome (I use an overturned plastic chip bowl). For BEST flavor, let cake sit over night. I promise this cake will not have a hint of beaniness after letting it sit for eight hours! If you are stacking this cake, level the top with a long serrated knife, shaving off layers until it is flat and even. Frost immediately before serving.

~57.6g net carbs for the whole cake using erythritol/stevia.
~5.7g net carbs per 1/10th
~125.6g net carbs for the whole cake using honey/stevia.
~12.56g net carbs per 1/10th

Healthy Chocolate Buttercream Frosting

Makes enough to thickly cover one layer, or fill and frost a halved stacked layer

Ingredients:
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted organic butter, softened, OR 7 tablespoons nonhydrogenated shortening
1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon erythritol, OR 1/4 cup xylitol, powdered
5 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
2 tablespoons half and half OR coconut milk
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
Pinch of sea salt
Good-tasting pure stevia extract, to taste

Optional addition for a glossy finish:
1 fresh organic egg yolk

Preparation:
Cream the butter in a small bowl until fluffy. Powder erythritol or xylitol in a coffee grinder or Magic Bullet for a minute or two, until extremely fine. Let sweetener settle in grinder before opening the top. Stir sweetener into butter with a spatula, then beat until smooth. Slowly blend in the cocoa powder (unless you want to redecorate your kitchen), vanilla, and sea salt. Beat in the half and half and egg yolk, if using. Add stevia, starting with 1/16 teaspoon. You'll probably use less than 1/4 teaspoon. Just keep tasting and adjust sweetness to your liking.

~7g net carbs for the frosting, using erythritol

We didn't have a piece of either today so I don't know how they taste the next day. But I'm sure we will tomorrow.

Good idea about MoDot!!

I'm pooped tonight. Ran errands all morning and then putzed around here until 3:30 and then went to the food kitchen to help serve meals tonight. It was a really tasty meal too!
Old 09-30-2010, 04:29 AM   #263
Princess Proofreader

Thanks Sandy!
I'll print those out!

Walk this morning then pick up yogurt for DD23 who arrives tonight!! (squeal!!), massage, and clean DD23's room change her sheets, clean her bathroom etc.

I'm looking forward to a great day!
Old 09-30-2010, 06:05 AM   #264

How fun! How long does she get to stay? Have a great time with her.

Carolyn, I'm anxious to hear what you thought of the play.

As of this a.m. I'm exactly the same weight as last month. Maybe I'll drop a tenth or so overnight so I can say I had a loss, lol. I'm pitiful, I'll take anything. Lol.
Old 09-30-2010, 06:58 AM   #265
Big Yapper!!!!

Morning peeps!
I won't be going near Kansas City or be in Missouri, so sounds like I will miss most of that construction. Hopefully it will be smooth sailing. I need to find a good book to listen to on the road, that makes the time go faster. Otherwise, I find myself wanting to speed and don't want a ticket.
I haven't weighed for about a week but don't feel "thin" right now so will stay off the scales.
Chocolate cake sounds good Sandy and I have made the bean cakes before, they are very good.
Plenty to do today. My brother is doing pretty good and sounding good but getting very stressed because they are talking of placing him in assisted living and he is afraid it will take everything he has to pay for it. Don't know what to tell him except that he has to wait and see what the tests reveal and then the Dr. will have a large input in to where he needs to go from here. Thankfully, my niece and nephew stepped up to work with their mom in making decisions, I don't trust her on her own to look out for his well being. What a mess...
Old 09-30-2010, 08:17 AM   #266

Hi gals..

I loved the "Sunshine Boys" and your dad's neighbor was great. In fact, he came to our bus and thanked the folks for coming. It made a big impression on the "folks"..I really like that theater because you can see so well..

Glad you liked those cakes..I need to make a carrot cake using the same recipe
as the pecan/almond flour recipe..I will use protein powder for the cocoa and
then grate a couple of carrots and add some walnuts and some cc spices..

I was 146 yesterday, so I am claiming 147 for a one pound loss...

Okay, creative peeps...name for October's thread?????

Yup, Buffy goes straight north, don't you? We met in Ark City once..It was fun, wasn't it? I wish I lived closer to catch you..Continued prayers for your brother, too..

Cindy: Horses are skittish, aren't they? Your big baby boy needs to get out more..LOL and explore the world. Water that moves toward him can be pretty scarey..

Cooking for our outreach dinner tonight..Our church takes a turn to feed the hungry in our town..It's funny because there are many middle class older peeps who come, but
they do donate some money. They are there first. Then the real "needy" come later..
It is very sad, but it's a good thing to do. I'm making a Mexican Casserole..I posted a LC version on the bulletin board.

MK: Have fun with your dd23. My arm was a little sore after the shot, but that's all.
I think it depends where the nurse sticks the needle..

Off to Wallie..

Old 09-30-2010, 10:15 AM   #267

That's kind of nice really to have "regular" folks sit and eat with the needy. It probably makes the ones who depend on that meal not feel so conspicuous, kwim? So does everybody just bring something different to your meals? When we do it, last night and at the KC KS food kitchen there is a menu for that meal and all get the same thing. We fed about 150-200 last night and sometimes over 450 at the other place so I'm sure that makes a big difference too. It would sure slow it down if they all got to choose which entree they wanted.

Yes, Dad's neighbor is a great guy. He's actually in a movie on video called Puppy Love too which is cute for younger kids. He has 2 young children of his own who both have done a bit of acting themselves. They are very good to my dad and were to my mom too. Their kids were almost like grandkids to them. I'm glad you liked the play and yes it's a great theater for being able to see. Our season tickets are in the 5th row, dead center on an aisle. Golden!! We're never giving them up, lol.

Good job on the loss too. Especially after that yummy buffet they serve there.

I'm glad you're missing the construction Buffy. Can you get an audio book at your library? Ours has several on CD's and that does make the time go by faster.
Old 09-30-2010, 10:18 AM   #268

Oh, I was going to ask you about those cakes. Both of them seem dry. The almond torte one a bit more than the bean one. Any suggestions for next time? I really don't think I overbaked them. Especially the bean one b/c it fell after it started to cool and on that thread it mentioned that was from underbaking. But then I thought that would make it moister? Anyway, I need something to moisten it up now to eat it and a way to make it moister in the first place when I make them again. Thanks.
Old 09-30-2010, 02:49 PM   #269

Hmmm..mine weren't dry. Did you add the water? I forgot once and had to pour it out of the pan. The batter should look a little thicker than regular cake batter..I was really careful about the baking time, too..25 minutes was perfect for my almond flour cake.

You can always make a trifle out of the cake..SF chocolate pudding mixed up with
the cake chunks..Cover it in whipped cream. I've done this before with cake that is a bit dry..

Yes, our coordinator figures out a meal, sends out the recipes, if there are special ones..

Name????

Pumpking Iron Challenge? LOLOL

Last edited by CarolynF; 09-30-2010 at 02:56 PM..
Old 09-30-2010, 04:26 PM   #270

I already iced the cake?? I wonder if I could still make a trifle? And yes, I'm pretty sure I added the water. It all looked right, it's just a little dry. Oh well, I hardly ever bake anymore, lol.

Real Housewives of Pumpkinville or Pumpkin County?

Really Scary EFGT Ghouls (play on girls)

IDK, I'm not good at naming, lolol.