Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Eat Fat, Get Thin
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-04-2010, 11:30 AM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: JJFiddle
Stats: 202/202/140
WOE: EFGT
Start Date: 4/6/10
New to EFGT

Hi, so thrilled to find you. Have been looking for nutrient-dense and high fat diets for quite some time, having lost and gained numerous times on low calorie diets with all different "gimmicks." My family is riddled with heart disease and diabetes, though I've somehow eluded it.

I searched a book I recently read online, "Eat Fat and Grow Slim" also by a British writer(Eat Fat And Grow Slim), and found this website. I've also read (and printed!) a book online called The Optimal Diet (Homo Diet Healthy Way of Eating). I ordered EFGT and have been reading this BB ever since - I'm so looking forward to starting this when the book arrives. Have you had alot of success with it?
I just want something that's doable longterm, normalizes weight, and maximizes health. Not much to ask is it? lol
Judy
JJFiddle is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-05-2010, 07:22 PM   #2
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: CarolynF
Stats: 195/141/139
WOE: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Start Date: January 2001
Judy: Welcome to our little group. I think this is a very healthy way to eat and maintain weight loss..and lose, too..
CarolynF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 09:20 PM   #3
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: JJFiddle
Stats: 202/202/140
Start Date: 4/6/10
Thanks

Thanks Carolyn. Barry's book came today, and though I didn't have a lot of time, I did wander thru it for about 1/2 hour tonight when a student didn't show up. Lots of familiar ideas, in fact everything I've been reading for the past few years seems to be touched on.
Using ******, today my carbs were only 38 grams and my fat intake was 76%. Which put calories up around 1900. Scary! Yesterday I ate more carbs, it was around 80, because of a little corn salsa I had with dinner in a restaurant.. but calories were only about 1300. My weight today was 202, so that's my starting, and my goal is 140.. I have to figure out how to put that in my sig like you've all done.
JJFiddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 11:15 AM   #4
Princess Proofreader

Gallery: TuscanGirl
Stats: Sad/Happy/Wow 5'
WOE: Something like GL and LC and . . . .
Start Date: July 2003
Come and join us on the September thread - Carolyn can answer all your questions.
Barry Groves stops by occasionally too!
TuscanGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 11:16 AM   #5
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Ragu
Start Date: July 2010
Hey JJ,
I have read both of Barry's books and as many online interviews and articles I can about him. Me and the family have been on the diet about a month. Great energy and losing inches. We feel full and satisfied most of the time. When we consume too much sugar(mainly our fruits we get hungry) In the second book Barry actually gives you some charts and measurements that has helped us with the amount we should not exceed. Also, in the second book Barry speaks of yo-yo dieting(something I am guilty of) and how it messes with your body and actually makes it more difficult to lose weight. He reassures you that if you stay with the diet the weight will eventually start to drop off. This has been true for me. So, hang in there and don't give up. You will feel good and see changes as soon as your body recognizes it is ok to let the fat go.
Ragu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 05:46 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Kaarren
Stats: 204/191/150
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 8-22-08
So, hang in there and don't give up. You will feel good and see changes as soon as your body recognizes it is ok to let the fat go.

YEP
Kaarren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 05:01 PM   #7
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: terrilee317
WOE: Atkins/EFGT
Start Date: Atkins 2/2010
I'm new too and scared spitless to try this. I did lose fairly well on Atkins last year, and then started eating more carbs and all the cravings came back...
Now I'm in danger of losing the weight I loss and having to go back on insulin...
Help!
terrilee317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 04:50 AM   #8
Princess Proofreader

It really truly works.
It's still LC, but not being scared of fat keeps you full.
It's really win/win.
Old 04-15-2011, 10:07 AM   #9
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: CarolynF
Stats: 195/141/139
WOE: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Start Date: January 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by terrilee317 View Post
I'm new too and scared spitless to try this. I did lose fairly well on Atkins last year, and then started eating more carbs and all the cravings came back...
Now I'm in danger of losing the weight I loss and having to go back on insulin...
Help!
Carbs are the enemy..I always gain when I have bad carbs. That is my rule, so I avoid them if I want to lose or maintain. It's a choice that we all have to make.

This is basically Atkins, only watching your protein levels..As you know, diabetics have to watch their protein levels because excess protein turns into
glucose.

Hopefully, you can get your carb consumption under control and not have to go on insulin..
CarolynF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 12:00 PM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Aediekins
Stats: St/199 Curr/163 Goal/155
WOE: Low-Carb
Start Date: 8 more lbs to go!!
Everyone is so afraid of fat, LOL, that wasn't my problem- I have a fear of carbs!! I am terrified of eating 50-60 carbs per day, but I also would love to be able too, so I can eat a few "forbidden" foods like this morning- 1/4 of a bagel. It would be nice to be able to have a few off-limit foods occasionally, it would probably make me less likely to cheat if I'm indulging in small amounts all the time.

I used to have a cheat day once a month on Atkins when I was on it years ago... and when I say cheat- look out... we're talking doghnuts, cakes, pasta, bread, candy etc.

I would really like to be able to not cheat, because I'm satisfied and eating normally and healthily. And I think that will come with eating enjoyable foods and not constantly denying yourself everything.

Low-Carb foods are not created equal
Enjoy- cream, butter, coconut oil, olive oil, fresh chicken, fish, beef, pork, bacon, sausage, cheese, LC veggies, berries/melon, dressings, stevia, chocolate (75% cocoa) and red wine
Avoid - Mayo, canola oil, too much protein, processed LC foods (tortillas, candy, shakes, bars) Splenda and other artificial sweeteners, corn products (xanthan gum, dextrose, maltodextrin)
Aediekins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 03:03 PM   #11
Princess Proofreader

And I feel better when I don't cheat!

I just somehow never think of that until AFTER I've cheated!
Old 04-15-2011, 03:56 PM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

LOL!
Old 04-15-2011, 04:05 PM   #13
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Amythist
I want to learn more about this...What kind of weight loss are people having?
Amythist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 06:03 PM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amythist View Post
I want to learn more about this...What kind of weight loss are people having?
You should really read the book by Barry Groves about Natural eating. I tried doing this diet just what from I read and people told me, but the book really clarified the information for me.

Basically you eat 10-15% carbs, 20-25% protein and 60-70% fat and keep your calories less than 3,000 a day (some people keep it as low as 1,200)

I actually haven't lost anything on it yet. Lost 2 lbs the other day, but it came right back on. I was trying to balance the percentages and in doing so, I over ate.
Old 04-18-2011, 01:30 PM   #15
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Angcould
Stats: 196 current/187 first goal
WOE: Low carb - Atkins/Protein Power
Start Date: May 6, 2011
So I think I have fallen victim to eating to much protein to overcome the "fat" scare.... I don't know if its just my portions that are out of wack or if I am eating just to many really high protein/lower fat meats...
Angcould is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 03:07 AM   #16
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: SiSi
New to EFGT

I stumbled on this site when I decided to go back to a low carb diet. I was very intrigued reading about Barry Groves. I started eating a higher fat, lower protein and low carb diet 3 days ago. I have already lost 4lbs !!! I am so excited and I feel full for the first time in a long time. I'm still having sugar cravings. I hope they go away in time. I just wanted to share my excitement with everyone. I feel like there is hope for me. I started at 197lbs. My normal weight was 140-145. Wish me Luck!
SiSi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 05:35 AM   #17
Princess Proofreader

Congratulations Sisi!!!
Old 05-06-2011, 11:16 AM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LisaG
WOE: Avoid wheat and sweets
Start Date: 2002
Just received Natural Health and Weight Loss (the updated EFGT version) today and blew through 3 chapters already. Fascinating stuff! I think most of my family and friends would think it was bonkers but I am really enjoying it so far. I'd like to know about coconut oil- how people are using it. I bought a big tub of it but haven't gotten to that part of the book yet. Am I supposed to just cook with it, like fry eggs in it?
LisaG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 05:16 PM   #19
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaG View Post
Just received Natural Health and Weight Loss (the updated EFGT version) today and blew through 3 chapters already. Fascinating stuff! I think most of my family and friends would think it was bonkers but I am really enjoying it so far. I'd like to know about coconut oil- how people are using it. I bought a big tub of it but haven't gotten to that part of the book yet. Am I supposed to just cook with it, like fry eggs in it?
I don't care for frying things in it... coconut flavored eggs or veggies doesn't suit me. I tried getting past the taste, but couldn't do it. I personally use it for baked items instead of butter, like the omm or wherever a recipe calls for fat.
Old 05-06-2011, 05:50 PM   #20
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: shirlc
Stats: 144/128.5/130-5'5"
WOE: Low/Mod Carb, JUDDD (JUDDD, 10/25/11 at 141.5)
Start Date: March, 2006
I use coconut oil in flax muffins...I make a dozen at a time and have one a day for breakfast. Also really like it in shakes.
shirlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 04:47 AM   #21
Senior LCF Member

Oooh, baking with it...flax muffins sounds great. I am going to get on that this week! Yum!
Old 05-10-2011, 11:10 AM   #22
Major LCF Poster!

Someone posted something about some type of thyroid toxins in Flaxseed, so don't eat too much of it! I didn't have time to fully research it, but I did do a quick search and there does appear to be some truth to it.
Old 05-10-2011, 03:17 PM   #23
Princess Proofreader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aediekins View Post
Someone posted something about some type of thyroid toxins in Flaxseed, so don't eat too much of it! I didn't have time to fully research it, but I did do a quick search and there does appear to be some truth to it.
I didn't know that!
Interesting!
Old 05-11-2011, 04:27 AM   #24
Senior LCF Member

Good to know! I will look into that. Barry Groves also mentions fluoride being awful for our thyroids but I guess that is a topic for another thread. Learning so much!
Old 05-19-2011, 05:05 PM   #25
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: firststep
Stats: 230/155/130/5ft 6in
WOE: HHCG
Start Date: Oct. 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aediekins View Post
I don't care for frying things in it... coconut flavored eggs or veggies doesn't suit me. I tried getting past the taste, but couldn't do it. I personally use it for baked items instead of butter, like the omm or wherever a recipe calls for fat.
I started with virgin coconut oil but didn't like everything tasting like coconut. That's why I started using cold expeller - pressed coconut oil from Tropical Traditions. On their website it explains that there's very little difference between the two. So now I use it for chocolate bark or for sauteing or frying eggs etc. It makes it more versatile.
firststep is offline   Reply With Quote