Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Eat Fat, Get Thin
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-10-2010, 06:03 PM   #121
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: JJFiddle
Stats: 202/202/140
WOE: EFGT
Start Date: 4/6/10
Funny, everybody's cats! Our 4 belong to my DD24's friend(25) who lives with us. DH built a 10' long cat run from a basement window with a cat door & they all go out and drape themselves over the shelves of it. I feed them Fancy Feast so they will love me too.. they also love me because I'm the one who scrapes the litterbox.

This morning I went to a breakfast hosted by the Weston Price Foundation, at a restaurant, the breakfast was great because I didn't eat pancakes & grits- a natural place, and they set out a buffet which included egg frittata and sausage and a little fruit salad. I was happy! The speaker was Katherine Pyrtle, a musician who recovered from complete collapse by using nutrient dense foods, fermented things, and of course high fat content. She was in town (from Chicago) to address the USDA. She's written a book and continues to speak and now works with autistic kids using diet. She also played for us. It was a nice gathering and it's rare for me to meet real like minded people.. usually it's just my dd calling my fridge contents "mystery food" LOL!
JJFiddle is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-11-2010, 05:38 AM   #122
Princess Proofreader

Gallery: TuscanGirl
Stats: Sad/Happy/Wow 5'
WOE: Something like GL and LC and . . . .
Start Date: July 2003

I'm back to St Louis to return DD23 to CO.
It was much too short of a visit. *pout*
TuscanGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 06:23 AM   #123
Always on, slightly off

Gallery: CindyCRNA
Stats: 152/132/121 Currently 120's lbs, 5'7" 51 years old
WOE: 35%/25%/45% (F,P,C 1850 calories/day)
Start Date: Raising carbs 1/10
Have a safe trip, MK.

Susan, I'm so glad I have a Kimchee compadre! I am going today to the Korean store to get the HOT!
CindyCRNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 06:49 AM   #124
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: susique333
Stats: started at 230+ Type2 Diabetes Insulin
WOE: LOW CARB, higher fat
Start Date: summer 2007 RESTART May 2012
Morning gals! Pouring rain here in Omaha. We put down sod and we have hardly had to water it, with all these storms that move thru! Rain water is so much better than city water anyway. We set out buckets to catch the rain for watering potted plants and all my porch plants are massive. Garden is doing super duper well, too.

Tuscan, Yes I got a nap. Hubby let me go 2 hrs omg and I couldnt get to sleep last night! I took melatonin finally at midnight and slept like a baby. Too big a nap and I cant sleep at night.

Cindy, Im happy to be a Kimchee compadre with you!

223#s
susique333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 10:17 AM   #125
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: sjl330
Stats: 184/141/140 5'7"
WOE: EFGT-Barry Groves
Start Date: January 2003
I need to try kimchee. I love sauerkraut. Especially homemade. Did I tell you all that I made homemade kraut this year. It should be ready to eat soon after we get back from vacation. I can't wait!!

We got totally soaked this a.m. going into church. Even with an umbrella!! And we still weren't dry by the time we got home. Then it cleared up and now it's pouring down again. And it's so dark!!
sjl330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 10:29 AM   #126
Always on, slightly off

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjl330 View Post
I need to try kimchee. I love sauerkraut. Especially homemade. Did I tell you all that I made homemade kraut this year. It should be ready to eat soon after we get back from vacation. I can't wait!!

We got totally soaked this a.m. going into church. Even with an umbrella!! And we still weren't dry by the time we got home. Then it cleared up and now it's pouring down again. And it's so dark!!
I like sauerkraut also. And sometimes I put Frank's on it which is probably why I like Kimchee.

I'm getting ready to make lime cupcakes with a lime buttercream frosting for work tomorrow. I'ts a Paula Dean recipe.

Last edited by CindyCRNA; 07-11-2010 at 10:31 AM..
Old 07-11-2010, 11:24 AM   #127
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Buffy45
Stats: Type 2 Diabetic as of 6/1/08
WOE: LC/MP/HF
Start Date: Restart 9/3/2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyCRNA View Post
My BF's sister is in Des Moines and he grew up in a tiny town called Corning Iowa.
Hey everyone! We went to Iowa over the 4th and then have been busy with grandkids ever since I got back, getting ready today for DD#1 to drive here from NE for a visit with DGD 17 and DGD's friend. Another fun busy week.

Very interesting in all the Iowa references, I grew up in Iowa and went to 2 years of high school in ................................guess where???
CORNING, IA!!! Graduated in 1964 so probably much older than your BF Cindy, but I'll bet he knows a lot of people that I knew and my DS and BIL still live there. I have lots of nephews, nieces, etc. there too. It is such a small town that I just know they must all know each other.

Just got caught up on everyone's July posts, welcome to the new peeps that are posting, we love to have lots of friends here.

Will look for the litter box attract, that will be good for my DD#3's new kitten she is getting next Sat. Also, we have an outdoor cat that isn't tame but so wants to be a part of the family, we let him in sometimes for a visit but seems he has been peeing on the throw rug in the guest bathroom, probably doesn't have a clue what a litter box is, he has always been outside. A wild cat came and had him at our house, then she disappeared but since we feed him, he stays right here.

No exciting news in my life since I was on last, just busy with family. Have made plans with my closest DS to go on a cruise with her and some of her friends in Jan., will be my first cruise.

Everyone
Old 07-11-2010, 12:08 PM   #128

Gallery: CarolynF
Stats: 195/141/139
WOE: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Start Date: January 2001
Hi gals..

Welcome back, Buffy..from the promised land..Iowa..I hope it was cooler up there..

No rain for us down here in sunny (92) SE KS..

Judy:How cool was that? I wonder if Jimmy Moore has done a podcast with her..I'll have to check it out. He has alot of connections and there are some excellent podcasts to listen to on your puter or on your Ipod/MP3 player.

Okay..why is kimchee in our Chinese restaurants red? Is it hot sauce?

Sandy: I'm impressed with your sauerkraut..What did you put it in to ferment?

Susie: I like melantonin for sleeping..But since I am on bio-identicals, I sleep so much better than before..

Oh..lime cupcakes sound wonderful..And that Paula Deen is a fabulous cook..butter and cream..

CarolynF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 12:26 PM   #129
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolynF View Post
Hi gals..

Welcome back, Buffy..from the promised land..Iowa..I hope it was cooler up there..

No rain for us down here in sunny (92) SE KS..

Judy:How cool was that? I wonder if Jimmy Moore has done a podcast with her..I'll have to check it out. He has alot of connections and there are some excellent podcasts to listen to on your puter or on your Ipod/MP3 player.

Okay..why is kimchee in our Chinese restaurants red? Is it hot sauce?

Sandy: I'm impressed with your sauerkraut..What did you put it in to ferment?

Susie: I like melantonin for sleeping..But since I am on bio-identicals, I sleep so much better than before..

Oh..lime cupcakes sound wonderful..And that Paula Deen is a fabulous cook..butter and cream..

Yes, there is ALOT of hot pepper powder to make Kimchee. My recipe for 2 gallons calls for 1 1/2 cups! I seldom take melatonin except when I have too big of a nap. I use USP progesterone!
Old 07-11-2010, 12:54 PM   #130

Thanks, Susie..I don't do hot pepper very well..So I will skip it.. Thanks for saving my tongue.
Old 07-11-2010, 04:33 PM   #131

I made 2 batches Carolyn. The first batch was 4 qts and I just packed it in the jars. The 2nd batch I used a food grade plastic bucket with an airlock. I've never done that method but am very hopeful. The only ingredients is cabbage and salt. Then it ferments from the bacteria on the cabbage. Three different types that react with salt. From what I read anyway. I just found that info out but have made sauerkraut for years. But haven't in a very long time so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it all turns out. The whole family is anxiously awaiting it too, lol. It's like waiting for a baby, lolol.

At the beach.... time you enjoyed wasting, is NOT time wasted. TS ELLIOT
Old 07-11-2010, 05:44 PM   #132

Ooo..that sounds good..I should try it sometime..We love sauerkraut..
Old 07-11-2010, 05:49 PM   #133
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjl330 View Post
I made 2 batches Carolyn. The first batch was 4 qts and I just packed it in the jars. The 2nd batch I used a food grade plastic bucket with an airlock. I've never done that method but am very hopeful. The only ingredients is cabbage and salt. Then it ferments from the bacteria on the cabbage. Three different types that react with salt. From what I read anyway. I just found that info out but have made sauerkraut for years. But haven't in a very long time so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it all turns out. The whole family is anxiously awaiting it too, lol. It's like waiting for a baby, lolol.
I lived in Germany for 2 years when my husband was stationed there. We lived up above our landlord and man could we tell when they chose a weekend to make Kraut! All those oders wafting up the stairs! I like saurkraut on hot dogs and once I had a roast that was cooked with it. Very moist and good. How do you eat it?
Old 07-11-2010, 06:35 PM   #134
Always on, slightly off

Buffy, I can't believe you went to high school in Corning! Tom's family has been ther since God was a boy so I'm sure he would know them. He's on his way back from a wedding now.

Carolyn, my Kimchee is very red but mild in hotness.

Sandy, let us know when your "baby" arrives!!
Old 07-12-2010, 06:44 AM   #135

It's a small world when Iowa is involved..

If any of you have extra prayer time, please pray for Jim H...my good friend in Iowa's
hubby..He is having a procedure for some questionable cancer..She hasn't shared much, but I'm finding out through another friend..He is about 66.. and a great dad and person.

Off to my chiro to get straightened out..LOl..good luck, I say.
Old 07-12-2010, 07:21 AM   #136
Always on, slightly off

for your friends hubby, Carolyn.
Old 07-12-2010, 07:45 AM   #137
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Buffy45
Stats: Type 2 Diabetic as of 6/1/08
WOE: LC/MP/HF
Start Date: Restart 9/3/2012
Morning peeps.
My company arrived yesterday evening and we stayed up late, laughing and talking.
Wow, I didn't know sauerkraut was just cabbage and salt?? Can't wait to hear how it turns out. I like it on dogs too.
Cindy, ask DBF if he has any relatives that graduated around 1964?
My sis's family's last name is Shuler, I have some nephews that I am sure everyone knows, wink wink, LOL.
Think we will be taking the teens shopping today. They are still sleeping in. Tomorrow, I think DD#2 and her DH are taking them all out in the boat for a day on the lake. I know their visit is going to just fly by, there are so many places they will want to go and my DGD's friend has never been to TX, so we could even do the whole sightseeing of Dallas thing, but I think we are going to be kept busy with shopping, swimming and the lake.
I bought a new book at Sprouts yesterday, Plan-D, a plan to eliminate flour and sugar, won't have much time to look at it until next week but it looked interesting.
More later.
Prayers for your friends DH Carolyn.
Buffy45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 07:50 AM   #138

Prayers for your friend Carolyn. Could you all add prayers for a missing husband and father in our area? He's been missing since the end of last week and they aren't having any luck finding him. My DGD went to school with his children. I don't know the family personally but it's really weighing heavy on my heart. Thanks.

I eat the sauerkraut straight up. Ice cold. That's my favorite way. I don't really like it cooked but I do like it on a dog once in awhile and I enjoy a good reuben occasionally too.
Old 07-12-2010, 11:08 AM   #139

Hi gang,

Jim is having his esophagus scraped at Mayos in Rochester, MN..He had some pre-cancerous cells from acid reflux. I think he needs to go on a LC diet..
but it's hard to give peeps advice..Thanks for the prayers for him..

Prayers for finding a missing KC dh, too..My goodness that is strange, isn't it?

Hey, we had a man in our church named Rich Shuler when we lived in Iowa..Maybe they are related, too..He would have graduated around that time, I think..

I always thought that sauerkraut had vinegar in it...LOLOL..

Friend Linda is coming this afternoon.. We will go out to dinner as I don't want to cook..However, it looks like Mexican and Chinese are the only
ones open...I'm flexible..
Old 07-12-2010, 11:59 AM   #140
Princess Proofreader

I just got home - left at 7:45am!
Eye doc was good, got all my errands finished, and ate lunch with some really smart women!
I love learning things! What would you all like to know about buying a home, verifying a loan, etc.?

Prayers for everyone!
Old 07-12-2010, 12:21 PM   #141

My goodness, MKay..I like smart women, too

My friend Linda just called..They just left Branson, so will be here around dinner time..
They have a 5th wheeler and camp at Corps of Engineer campsites..
Old 07-12-2010, 03:38 PM   #142
Major LCF Poster!

Carolyn, I sent positive thoughts Jim's way! Im asking for prayers today,too! Hubby woke this am with a droopy eye. We sat on the porch drinking coffee and he dribbled coffee and I saw his mouth was pulled to the side all weird! Then he says his lower face feels like he had a novacaine shot! I shot out of my chair & said "Youre going to the ER!" The ER dr diagnosed him with Bell's Palsy, I thought he was having a stroke! Dr said it can take months to go away and prescribed him prednisone. Paddy cant drink without a straw, cant smile etc. Anyone ever seen this before? WEIRD!! I made him let me take a photo. LOL

Last edited by susique333; 07-12-2010 at 03:39 PM..
Old 07-12-2010, 03:44 PM   #143

Poor Paddy..Yes, this is pretty common and his droppiness doesn't look too bad..I've seen worse in much younger peeps (in fact the son of Jim (surgery) had it in his 20's). I think it is caused by a virus..??

Cindy our resident nurse should be stopping by for her professional opinion.

Meanwhile, prayers for Paddy..and Susie.
Old 07-12-2010, 04:58 PM   #144
Always on, slightly off

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffy45 View Post
Morning peeps.
My company arrived yesterday evening and we stayed up late, laughing and talking.
Wow, I didn't know sauerkraut was just cabbage and salt?? Can't wait to hear how it turns out. I like it on dogs too.
Cindy, ask DBF if he has any relatives that graduated around 1964?
My sis's family's last name is Shuler, I have some nephews that I am sure everyone knows, wink wink, LOL.
Think we will be taking the teens shopping today. They are still sleeping in. Tomorrow, I think DD#2 and her DH are taking them all out in the boat for a day on the lake. I know their visit is going to just fly by, there are so many places they will want to go and my DGD's friend has never been to TX, so we could even do the whole sightseeing of Dallas thing, but I think we are going to be kept busy with shopping, swimming and the lake.
I bought a new book at Sprouts yesterday, Plan-D, a plan to eliminate flour and sugar, won't have much time to look at it until next week but it looked interesting.
More later.
Prayers for your friends DH Carolyn.
My BF's last name is Briles. He said his brother had a Shuler in his class. His brother's graduated in 69 and 70. You will have to ask your sis! Was your BIL a Corning boy also?

Yes, Bell's Palsy is usually a virus but can take a year easily to clear up. Steroids (short term) can help as it is an inflammation of the 7th cranial nerve.

Carolyn, you know, come to think of it, I think store bought Sauerkraut is just cabbage and salt but I love the vinegar so I always add it.

Last edited by CindyCRNA; 07-12-2010 at 05:09 PM..
Old 07-13-2010, 04:06 AM   #145
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Shonmarie
WOE: EFGT/PP
Start Date: 1/23/10
Good morning everyone. So sorry I've been mia, but it's been an extremely difficult several weeks. Finally got my sister settled into her new apartment, then the bottom fell out with the fact that her dh will not be coming back. She's finally starting to accept that and I was hoping everything would settle down to a dull roar.

Last Thursday night, the daughter of a friend of our family, went missing in Lake Erie. She still has not been found. Ohio.com - Missing woman's family seeks answers in mishap She was with a group of friends on a 48ft boat, drinking and partying - probably too much - they still don't know the true story, but she went overboard and hasn't been seen since. We are all just heartsick.

Sounds like there are many prayers needed for our friends on this board. Many, many prayers for everyone's friends/loved ones here! I'll keep you posted on our friend, Emma. I just hope her body surfaces soon so family & friends can have some closure. It's the not knowing as well as the loss, that is so painful.

I'm also in the process of getting our kitchen repaired. On the evening of the 4th of July, the hot water pipe under the kitchen sink burst from the new dishwasher. Fortunately, dh was able to turn the main off, but the water damaged the hardwood floor and drywall behind the cabinets. So, last week, for three days, we had 4 jet-engine fans and dehumidifiers running in the kitchen and basement! What a nightmare. The insurance adjuster is coming today then they can finish the cabinets and restain/poly the hardwood floor. Just glad it didn't do more damage than it did!

Need some coffee - will touch base later. Everyone have a good day!
Old 07-13-2010, 05:06 AM   #146
Major LCF Poster!

Need to apologize for my huge photos, I need to learn to resize them. Hubby is still droopy and he found out he cant taste anything! ZERO taste. Told him Im making him whey shakes to nourish him and maybe he can drop a few pounds since he is not hungry at all. Weirder and weirder.

Shone, that is so sad! How old is the daughter?

Made reservations for hubs and I to fly down to Phoenix on the 30th to visit his parents for 3 days. Theyre in their mid 80s and usually travel "up north" every summer but this spring they moved to a new home and decided to stay put this summer. Now theyre homesick for their kids.

Made broccoli and cheese soup for supper last night. Really hit the spot!

Hope all have a good day!
Old 07-13-2010, 06:36 AM   #147
Princess Proofreader

Morning!

Carolyn - how was your dinner with Linda?

Susie - my mom had it - it's been years and her mouth still droops when she smiles!
Can he close his eye to sleep? if not - he needs an eye patch and drops.

Shon - I'm so sorry!!

My DD26 finally has a job!! She's still moving back home to get her finances in order and to finish her thesis, but she's employed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-13-2010, 06:52 AM   #148
Always on, slightly off

Yeah, Susan, they say only 50% recover completely. My BF says pregnant women get it not infrequently due to edema causing pressure on that facial nerve. The good thing with your hubby is that his beard will cover any mouth droop.

Shon, welcome back. I'm sorry for all the drama. May your life slow down.
Old 07-13-2010, 08:17 AM   #149
Major LCF Poster!

Mary Kay and Cindy, thank you for your input! The Dr said with prednisone he hopes to get a full recovery for my husband. We just went out for breakfast and he really does have some trouble with biting and chewing. Sad thing about steroids is they make him ravenously hungry yet he cant taste anything! Yes, thank God for his Santa beard!
Old 07-13-2010, 01:56 PM   #150

My BIL had Bell's Palsy and it lasted a few months so hopefully your DH's won't last long.

Shon, that's so sad about that girl. The not knowing has to be the hardest for the family. That's why I wish they could find out something about the missing man in our area. His daughter was supposed to be married this coming Saturday. There's no new news here about him as of today.