Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Eat Fat, Get Thin
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-04-2010, 02:39 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: AliP
Hello - new here!

Hi all

I stumbled across Barry Groves' website after I noticed his name was brought up in an opinion somebody had posted to a fairly recent story on a UK news website and looked up his books on the web - and what he says does seem to make some sense.

I'm not diabetic or anything (to the best of my knowledge anyway) but I have wondered for a while if carbs disagree with me and to be honest have been feeling down right lacking in energy and generally feeling "yuk".

I lost 3st on the Cambridge diet about 3 years ago and was doing ok with keeping the weight off until about 6 months ago when some emotional traumas reared their ugly heads and I started gaining again.

So I wondered whether I might have more luck keeping the weight off this time and feel a whole lot better in myself if I follow a low carb diet and keep to Barry's advice afterwards?

I am of course coming up against opposition from my bread junkie DH who
hasn't quite voiced his opinion that he thinks Barry is a quack but I know he's thinking it!

I'm also hampered by the fact that our eldest has a nut allergy so already I can't make the rather yummy sounding almond and parmesan breakfast pancakes that seem to be the basis for a lot of his recipes and meal suggestions.

First off - what is the easiest / best way to get started? I bought Natual Health & Weight Loss and have read most of the book and I thought I got it, but then sat down to write a shopping list and promptly forgot it all

Can somebody give me a push in the right direction please? Also, do I need to get the Eat Fat Get Thin book or is it pretty much the same as the one I aready have?

Many thanks!

Ali
AliP is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-04-2010, 03:43 PM   #2
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: CarolynF
Stats: 195/141/139
WOE: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Start Date: January 2001
Hi Ali,

Most of us are learned that you can cook for yourself when you want nut treats, etc..
So, put yourself first and don't worry about the rest of the family.

The proof is in your weightloss and your blood tests at the doctor, so don't worry about
what your dh says..He is wrong..LOL..There are so many books and podcasts about
how bad carbs are for us..and I am a true believer.

The easiest way is to buy regular food..Bacon, eggs, cheese, green veggies, and other LC veggies, heavy cream, butter, sour cream..Just the basic food groups.

Then for breakie: bacon and eggs..or sausage and eggs...or egg with cheese..Avoiding all bread.

Lunch: Meat, veggies, salad..Same as dinner time.

Many peeps who aren't diabetic do very well on a LC diet and it can help avoid diabetes as well.

Keep your protein to around 60-80 grams a day..You can use ****** - Free Weight Loss and Diet Journal to find out how much of what you are eating..

CarolynF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 10:11 AM   #3
Junior LCF Member

Thanks for the help Carolyn

I forgot to say I'm in the UK, so will the ****** thing work for me or would it just be easier to hunt down a different one? I've seen one or two iPhone apps that let you keep track of things too but feedback on those for UK people says that they're not really much use at all.

Ali
Old 05-05-2010, 11:38 AM   #4

Sure, ****** works for everyone with a puter..
Old 05-05-2010, 12:23 PM   #5
Junior LCF Member

Cool I was just wondering as I think we calculate carbs differently over here don't we?
Old 05-05-2010, 01:50 PM   #6

No..carbs are in grams, same as you.
Old 05-06-2010, 09:48 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MagicalHome
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolynF View Post
Hi Ali,

The easiest way is to buy regular food..Bacon, eggs, cheese, green veggies, and other LC veggies, heavy cream, butter, sour cream..Just the basic food groups.

Then for breakie: bacon and eggs..or sausage and eggs...or egg with cheese..Avoiding all bread.

Lunch: Meat, veggies, salad..Same as dinner time.
Thanks for your advice too, Carolyn.
I'm not fat, so sometimes I eat a lot of fat food, and sometimes a lot of vegie only I think I should better follow your guide to keep my health well ^^
MagicalHome is offline   Reply With Quote