Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Eat Fat, Get Thin (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/eat-fat-get-thin/)
-   -   Alcohol & EFGT (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/eat-fat-get-thin/669536-alcohol-efgt.html)

Bobbedazzler 04-07-2010 08:10 AM

Alcohol & EFGT

Hiya

Just wondered if anyone can help with my query ........ is it possible to get away with the odd weekend drinkie on EFGT??

I'm thinking along the lines of vodka and diet coke or red wine!?! (or even mixing them together with some diet lemonade for sangria)!

Anyone tried?

Thanks

Jo

CindyCRNA 04-07-2010 09:15 AM

My understanding is no alcohol. Now, having said that, I seem to remember that Vodka is about the only alcohol allowed on LC.

CarolynF 04-07-2010 01:27 PM

I very rarely drink, but I always gain a pound when I do..

Others in our group do imbibe from time to time..Maybe they will chime in.

LocoPollo 04-20-2010 03:37 PM

It'll hit you like a ton of bricks if you are LC. At least it does me. :stars:

Fire fly 11-30-2010 01:07 PM

I want to eat flavored butter instead of candy. I'm trying to get it tasty but down to only a couple carbs a piece. I made some candy out of butter, cocoa, stevia, and cream de cocoa liquor. I don't know how to count carbs in flavored liquor.

Aediekins 04-16-2011 02:06 PM

In Groves book, he specifies that "sweet" alcohol like beer and sweet wine should be off-limits. I am assuming that "dry" alcohols, such as the occasional glass of red wine are fine.

With all of my years low-carbing and drinking red wine, this is what I have found to be the case:

When you drink alcohol, your body burns the alcohol as energy even before carbs and sugars. So if you have recently eaten, that food won't be used for fuel and energy, because the alcohol is being used as such. Even if you ate just protein and fat, your body will just store it cause it has no use for it since it's using the alcohol for fuel.

So anytime you drink alcohol, no matter what diet you're on, it interferes with the way your body processes the food you have eaten. You will most likely gain a pound or two because of this.

However, I did notice that if I waited until 3-4 hours after I ate, I could drink alcohol and not gain and sometimes even lose.

Just as Groves teaches in his book, nothing is off-limits. In my lifestyle I have a glass of wine every night and 2-3 glasses on Saturday evenings. When I was at my skinniest (before baby #2, and no I didn't drink while I was pregnant or nursing) I got down to 150 lbs and I drank my wine.

So I say, enjoy your weekend, have a few drinks. Just make sure they are low-sugar or sugar-free and make sure you haven't eaten in a few hours and you will be fine. ENJOY LIFE!!

LeeAnnetteJ 04-16-2011 06:04 PM

Alcohol on Low Carb

Hiya! I looked up the carb counts on the pure alcohols - such as gin, vodka, whiskey and they all come up with zero carbs. They do however, have calories. I usually have one vodka and diet tonic daily and have seen no ill effects towards the diet. Perhaps I would lose more weight if I didn't have that one drink, but I find it relaxes me after a long day at work - but that's just me. I have been on this diet for 8 weeks and have lost 16 pounds and happy with that rate of weight loss (did Atkins back in 2000 and also had great results). When you have mixed drinks, such as a margarita, that would be detrimental since the margarita mix has so many carbs/sugar. Gotta watch those mixers!:cry:

Take care!

Lee Annette