Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Eat Fat, Get Thin
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-11-2010, 02:29 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Bobbedazzler
Stats: 196/196/140
Troublesome Skin / Breakouts

Hi all, me again!

Have any of you found that this woe helps clear up any troublesome skin??

My skin is a real mess at the moment, spots, breakouts, blemishes etc etc.

So, has anyone got any experience of their skin improving?

Thanks, Jo x
Bobbedazzler is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-28-2010, 09:26 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: DelhiBelli
Stats: maintaining at my current size
WOE: High Fat/ Mod Protein/ Low Carb
Start Date: September 2009
I've been using coconut oil and the no-soap approach and it has helped somewhat. The problem I continue to have is the spots on my stomach and sides that only goes away when I return to eating mounds of sugar. I have a yeast problem, no doubt.

What kind of fats are you eating? Veggie oils seem to be a problem for me. When I stick to meat fats and coconut oil, things always get better.
DelhiBelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 07:03 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Bobbedazzler
Stats: 196/196/140
Hiya

I've only just re-started my low carb journey so I haven't been eating all that much fat recently.

Since my re-start I've been eating mostly olive oil and butter ... haven't seen any improvement yet but then I always have been a bit impatient! lol

Thanks for the reply, much appreciated.

Jo
Bobbedazzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 10:41 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Kisha1976
Stats: 292/292/200
WOE: Low carb (currently induction)
Start Date: January 28, 2013
YES.

I've been having this problem too.
I've always had acne prone skin, but it's been under control. But when I started LC, I started breaking out like crazy, mostly around my mouth, chin, and jaw (and these are areas I NEVER break out in).
So there's something in either the diet or the vitamins I've been taking that's making me break out. I haven't taken fish oil in about a week, and noticed I didn't break out at all. So many that's it?
Kisha1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 05:10 PM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: martiangurll
Stats: 250ish/201.5/138???
WOE: HCG at the moment R3P2VLDC33
Start Date: 4/01/10 (Atkins restart)
I was doing well then started to do the C0c0nut oil and I think its yeast die off. I think my skin is "purging" out all the crap--getting zits like I am a teenager again! Please tell me if this has happened to anyone else that it will go away!
martiangurll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 07:35 AM   #6
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: cbarrett
WOE: HCG
Start Date: 5/17/2010
My acne fix

Jo,

I have followed lo carb on and off for 10 years and also have acne prone skin. I have thyroid disease and PCOS which both make you prone to acne. I can't really give you diet tips that work or don't work for your skin, cause my breakouts tend to follow my hormonal surges. However, a few years ago my doctor recommended an easy fix for my acne and it changed my life. (It's so nice to be in a 30's and finally have clear skin!)

Basically it's called a high frequency facial unit or machine and it uses an ultraviolet light to create ozone on the surface of your skin. This light and ozone have natural antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties and let me tell you it's like a miracle. I know I sound like a commercial, but I don't sell them or anything I'm just still amazed at how they clear up acne. Basically it's the same technology as in the little Xeno (sp?) acne machine that some company sells for like $200, but you can get a full size, full power machine off of ebay for around $80, just do a search by high frequency facial. It's about the size of a small cosmetic case. (It'll be the best 80 bucks you ever spent, trust me).

The doctor I was seeing at the time uses ozone to help patients skin heal after laser treatments and surgery and it is wonderful. To use the machine you place these glass wands in the machine, turn the machine on and just rub it on your face or whereever you have acne. I use mine for about 10 minutes 1-2 x a day or whenever I have a breakout starting. You can do it as much as you want, no unpleasant side effects other than the ozone the machine makes stinks, but when you turn the machine off, it goes away. If you have a really big breakout coming up, you can repeatedly pass over that area and even "hover" over that spot for a more intense treatment. It usually clears up my really big breakouts in 1-2 days and also prevents future breakouts.

HTH!

Courtney
cbarrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 12:41 PM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: martiangurll
Stats: 250ish/201.5/138???
WOE: HCG at the moment R3P2VLDC33
Start Date: 4/01/10 (Atkins restart)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DelhiBelli View Post
I've been using coconut oil and the no-soap approach and it has helped somewhat. The problem I continue to have is the spots on my stomach and sides that only goes away when I return to eating mounds of sugar. I have a yeast problem, no doubt.
DelhiBelli--I had this issue with the rash and it went away with regular daily applications of coc0nut 0il to the rash. (mine was yeast no doubt as well)
Give it a try, all you have to lose is dry skin
martiangurll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 09:14 AM   #8
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: mchelle71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kisha1976 View Post
YES.

I've been having this problem too.
I've always had acne prone skin, but it's been under control. But when I started LC, I started breaking out like crazy, mostly around my mouth, chin, and jaw (and these are areas I NEVER break out in).
So there's something in either the diet or the vitamins I've been taking that's making me break out. I haven't taken fish oil in about a week, and noticed I didn't break out at all. So many that's it?
I was on Atkins for about 6 weeks and the last 2 weeks I started taking fish oil supplements. I experienced the same break outs around my mouth chin and jaw. Some of the bumps weren't typical with a white head. They were hard bumps. As soon as I stopped Atkins and taking fish oil the breakouts stopped. I want to start back to low carb but I am afraid I'll breakout again.

Does anyone have any advice about keeping the break outs under control while low carbing. Also, I know Dr. Atkins highly recommends the fish oil supplements but do you think its horrible NOT to take them? I believe they were causing the breakouts.
mchelle71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 02:49 PM   #9
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: CarolynF
Stats: 195/141/139
WOE: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Start Date: January 2001
It is not horrible if you don't take the fish oil..
CarolynF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 08:35 AM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: synger
Stats: Start: 310 Current: 259
WOE: Calorie and carb counting, IR Diet framework
Start Date: IR/PCOS: Dx pre-diabetic 3/2010
I have skin problems in my fat folds, because of my obesity. It has begun to get better lately, but I'm not sure if it's because of the higher fat in my diet, or because I've begun to use antibacterial soap in the folds, and antifungal cream and powder afterward. May be a combination. I'm just glad it's getting better!
synger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 08:59 AM   #11
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Krickit
WOE: Atkins
Try to wait it out...

I have read that substantially reducing carbs (Atkins Induction) helps regulate hormones. Most women live in a state of estrogen dominance and once you start reducing carbs, your body produces more progesterone. The result of that is a temporary priming of your estrogen receptors which actually can seem like more severe estrogen dominance for awhile. If you wait it out then your body will come back into balance and your hormones will be even more stable and balance then they were before. In my case I experienced terrible breakouts for the first month but I stuck with it and now my skin is better than it has been in my whole life! I am convinced that carbs were what caused my skin problems all these years! Oh also, I cannot take fish oil supplements as these cause the deep cyst like breakouts for me. Something to do with impurities in the oil. I have been advised to try really high quality, purified capsules instead. Good luck!
Krickit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 09:31 AM   #12
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: riley.scott
What do you recommend for a spot treatment? I always get random zits that are horrible!
riley.scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 03:55 PM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: MarcyDarcy
Stats: 195/180/173 goal: 135 or maybe lower
Start Date: November 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbarrett View Post
Jo,

I have followed lo carb on and off for 10 years and also have acne prone skin. I have thyroid disease and PCOS which both make you prone to acne. I can't really give you diet tips that work or don't work for your skin, cause my breakouts tend to follow my hormonal surges. However, a few years ago my doctor recommended an easy fix for my acne and it changed my life. (It's so nice to be in a 30's and finally have clear skin!)

Basically it's called a high frequency facial unit or machine and it uses an ultraviolet light to create ozone on the surface of your skin. This light and ozone have natural antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties and let me tell you it's like a miracle. I know I sound like a commercial, but I don't sell them or anything I'm just still amazed at how they clear up acne. Basically it's the same technology as in the little Xeno (sp?) acne machine that some company sells for like $200, but you can get a full size, full power machine off of ebay for around $80, just do a search by high frequency facial. It's about the size of a small cosmetic case. (It'll be the best 80 bucks you ever spent, trust me).

The doctor I was seeing at the time uses ozone to help patients skin heal after laser treatments and surgery and it is wonderful. To use the machine you place these glass wands in the machine, turn the machine on and just rub it on your face or whereever you have acne. I use mine for about 10 minutes 1-2 x a day or whenever I have a breakout starting. You can do it as much as you want, no unpleasant side effects other than the ozone the machine makes stinks, but when you turn the machine off, it goes away. If you have a really big breakout coming up, you can repeatedly pass over that area and even "hover" over that spot for a more intense treatment. It usually clears up my really big breakouts in 1-2 days and also prevents future breakouts.

HTH!

Courtney
Do you or anyone else know if this helps eczema? I have it on my hands and arms. I do also have a bit of acne on my chin -- I'm 53 yo.
MarcyDarcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 12:03 PM   #14
Senior LCF Member

So since my last post, I cut out the fish oil and things got better. I also cut out broccoli, which I was eating a lot of and my skin cleared up even more. I still get the occasional break out, but not like before.
Old 08-06-2010, 06:07 PM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krickit View Post
I have read that substantially reducing carbs (Atkins Induction) helps regulate hormones. Most women live in a state of estrogen dominance and once you start reducing carbs, your body produces more progesterone. The result of that is a temporary priming of your estrogen receptors which actually can seem like more severe estrogen dominance for awhile. If you wait it out then your body will come back into balance and your hormones will be even more stable and balance then they were before. In my case I experienced terrible breakouts for the first month but I stuck with it and now my skin is better than it has been in my whole life! I am convinced that carbs were what caused my skin problems all these years! Oh also, I cannot take fish oil supplements as these cause the deep cyst like breakouts for me. Something to do with impurities in the oil. I have been advised to try really high quality, purified capsules instead. Good luck!
I have heard this as well. I wonder if it is because of the lowering of insulin, or if hormone regulation happens by an independent reaction to the reduction of carbohydrates?
TheHealthyAdvocate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 07:29 AM   #16
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: erg999
name of high frequency device

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbarrett View Post
Jo,

HTH!

Courtney
Hey Courtney - can you advise the name of the high frequency facial unit that you used and were so happy with ? There are tons on the market and I would not want to risk buying one that is not recommended.
Thanks.
erg999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 05:13 PM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Jonika
Stats: 128/118
WOE: Candida diet, Alkaline diet, Atkins
Start Date: 8/13/2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kisha1976 View Post
So since my last post, I cut out the fish oil and things got better. I also cut out broccoli, which I was eating a lot of and my skin cleared up even more. I still get the occasional break out, but not like before.
Hi Kisha,
why broccoli would cause breakouts? How did you find out it was broccoli?? I don't eat fish oil. And I have pimples all over my shoulders and back...I am low-carbing...
Jonika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 08:29 AM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonika View Post
Hi Kisha,
why broccoli would cause breakouts? How did you find out it was broccoli?? I don't eat fish oil. And I have pimples all over my shoulders and back...I am low-carbing...
Hi,

I guess it was a fluke. I got sick of eating broccoli, so I stopped. And noticed that ever since I stopped eating it, my skin really began to clear up!
Old 12-28-2010, 04:06 AM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: meggabeef
Stats: 425/327/135
Start Date: June 21/2010
Thyroid problems cause acne in adults. If you have acne as an adult, always look at your thyroid gland. It causes all kinds of skin problems like psoriasis, excema, acne, etc. Look at Broda Barnes website for information on how to check your thyroid and don't believe blood tests.

Acne can be treated with Niacinamide 1000mg three times a day.
Vitamin C 1000mg three times a day.
zinc 25 mg/day
vitamin B6 50-250mg per day (if you don't remember your dreams, your b6 levels are too low, if you wake up dreaming, your b6 levels are too high)
folic acid 1mg/day
Calcium/magnesium 1000mg calcium/500mg magnesium per day.
vitamin A 10,000iu/day
vitamin D 1000 iu/day
vitamin E 400 iu/day.

Cocoanut oil is also good

Food intolerances can cause acne. Eliminating foods you LOVE is a good start, and also try the rotation diet where you eat something day 1 and don't eat that again until day 5.
meggabeef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 10:25 AM   #20
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Generella
I just have to tell you to be careful not to experiment to much - that was what I did when I started to buy stuff from the internet. Gave me so much trouble.
Generella is offline   Reply With Quote