Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Eat Fat, Get Thin
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2010, 04:05 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Molly1950
Stats: 177/169/140 - Ht: 5'8"
WOE: Atkins '72
Start Date: March 27, 2010
Newbie with a couple questions

Howdy:
Just came across your website yesterday and have been totally intrigued by it! I just ordered Barry's book: "Natural Health & Weight Loss" and can't wait to read it. I've been on Atkins for the last few weeks, but have only lost 4 lbs. I really want to be able to understand the whole "low carb" science and think this book might help. I have a couple of questions. Do most of you count carbs or net carbs? Wasn't sure if net carbs is just an Atkins thing. Also, do you track your carbs by using an online tool like fatsmart or fit day? Thanks and I'm looking forward to reading more!
Molly1950 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-06-2010, 04:52 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Cynthia2005
Stats: 211/133/135/5'7"
WOE: my own, VLC/HF
Start Date: June 2005
Hi Molly, welcome!

I count net carbs, but I subtract fiber only, not sugar alcohols. You will get other opinions for sure

I used to use ******, but got frustrated with it and recently switched to ********* dot com. It's more user-friendly for me.
Cynthia2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 05:49 AM   #3
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: CarolynF
Stats: 195/141/139
WOE: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Start Date: January 2001
Hi Molly:

Barry's book is great. He is a little looser on carbs than Atkins. However, he does focus also on protein amounts and not overdoing them.

Use whatever program works for you.. I've never tried *********, but I'm glad Cynthia likes it..
CarolynF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 06:55 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LaneyE
Stats: 201/158/125-135
WOE: alternating ultra low carb and hCG
Start Date: December 2009
Yesterday was my first day following Barry's program and I gained .8! I'm not giving up on it yet but was wondering if anyone else had experienced an initial gain with EFGT and if they cut back right away or tried to wait it out? I'm just under 160 and started with the 1500 calorie proportions.
LaneyE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 09:20 AM   #5
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sunday
Stats: 225/145/ ...
WOE: Perfect Health Diet- 16hr Daily Fast
Start Date: JUDDD - 2/01/12 Began at 200, Goal 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaneyE View Post
Yesterday was my first day following Barry's program and I gained .8! I'm not giving up on it yet but was wondering if anyone else had experienced an initial gain with EFGT and if they cut back right away or tried to wait it out? I'm just under 160 and started with the 1500 calorie proportions.
Hi Laney,

I am new too, just started this week. I do not weigh myself daily, but what are your percentages? Protein & Carbs need to be precise in order to make this work. Also, what fats are you eating? EVCO, Avocado, Butter or EVOO?

I have not joined in on the daily "real housewives thread" yet, but I plan to, because I know that they have been doing this for a while. I know that reading successes others have had on other websites has helped me to desire trying this WOE.

Sunday
sunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 10:08 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LaneyE
Stats: 201/158/125-135
WOE: alternating ultra low carb and hCG
Start Date: December 2009
Hi, Sunday - I was using these percentages but I am sure I went over on calories:

56 grams carbs
75 grams protein
108 grams fat
1500 calories

I got nowhere near the carbs (probably around 35) and believe I was under or close on protein (according to my calculations). I was getting pretty nauseous with the sudden increase in fat but did get in a couple of extra Tbs of coconut oil throughout the day. I'm using mostly EVCO and heavy cream for my fats plus animal fats. I also use a little EVOO, mac nut oil and apricot kernel oil on salads and in marinades and sauces. I've been using EVCO to fry in for a while and just love that. I can only think that the dramatic increase in calories may cause a gain for a bit. I'll try to stick it out because this would be a great diet that I would have no problem staying with! I joined the Eleven by Easter thread and am going to try to stay on this until Easter and see how it goes
LaneyE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 02:50 PM   #7

Laney: I would gain on 1500 calories, too. You might cut back on the carbs..I think they are too high.. Barry once told me everyone was different on their carb level and some are at 30..just depends on your body.
Old 03-28-2010, 09:28 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: DelhiBelli
Stats: maintaining at my current size
WOE: High Fat/ Mod Protein/ Low Carb
Start Date: September 2009
Quote:
I gained a little when I started this because my body wasn't used to all the good fats. I bloated up and had some small digestive hiccups until I got used to all the fat. Then the lbs started coming off.
DelhiBelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 11:32 AM   #9

Good for you..Sometimes our gallbladder isn't used to dealing with fats..but it will soon kick in.
Old 03-29-2010, 08:51 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: DelhiBelli
Stats: maintaining at my current size
WOE: High Fat/ Mod Protein/ Low Carb
Start Date: September 2009
Carolyn,
It took me about 2 months of getting sick over and over again (weekend carb binges) to realize that once I go fat, I can't go back.
DelhiBelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 01:06 PM   #11

LOLOL..