Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Eat Fat, Get Thin (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/eat-fat-get-thin/)
-   -   Fat chips: YUMMM! (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/eat-fat-get-thin/616157-fat-chips-yummm.html)

lyrical_dancer 04-30-2009 05:45 PM

Fat chips: YUMMM!

My mom makes these delicious fat chips. [that's what I call them...] They're made of chicken fat/skin, and she bakes them [or broils them, whatever!] I'm not sue how she does it, but they're worth eating! YUMM YUMM YUMMMMM!! :p :up:

thor-iwish 05-31-2009 08:57 PM

it's just hardened chicken skin??? Interesting, I've been looking for some chip substitute to dip guacamole, not sure that's it, but it's a step in the right direction.

Doris57 06-22-2009 11:39 PM

try pork rinds for the guacamole

lowcarblaura 08-18-2009 11:34 AM

fried chicken skin is AWESOME!!

12yrslater 08-18-2009 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lowcarblaura (Post 12365618)

AMEN!

MrsJackSprat 08-18-2009 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lowcarblaura (Post 12365618)

Yeah..................but you gotta buy the whole d@mn chicken just to get a little bit of skin! :annoyed:

lowcarblaura 08-18-2009 03:52 PM

Oh...isn't that the truth...BUT...Thanksgiving is right around the corner...since there are soo many people who are fat/skin phobic...I just may harvest it before I cook the bird....that way when they are feasting on sweets, I can enjoy my fat...and be all the healthier for it!! (My 90 year old Mom would completely FREAK OUT if she saw this!!)

CarolynF 12-19-2009 04:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ddemetrius456 (Post 12879823)
Fat Chips!! It sounds and tastes great. They will make you fat for sure

Not in moderation..:)

lovexoxohug 12-26-2009 05:56 AM

jon, we eat em all and still lose weight.

cowboyshootergirl 12-26-2009 06:07 AM

Favored food among Ashkenazi Jews, gribenes is frequently mentioned in Jewish stories and parables. It's the rendered chicken fat bits fried crispy with onions. The schmaltz is the actual rendered chicken fat. Used quite a bit as a kosher substitute for butter.
Here's a recipe.

Schmaltz and Gribenes

This recipe uses the fat and skin from about 4 chickens. You can save it up in your freezer over the course of time. For even more flavorful schmaltz, add a few cloves of garlic.

Ingredients

* 4 cups chicken fat and skin, cut into 1/2-inch pieces or smaller
* Kosher salt
* Pinch of pepper
* 1 cup onion rings, about 1/8-inch thick

Preparation

1. Wash fat and skin well in a colander, and pat dry. Place in a heavy skillet, and sprinkle lightly with salt and pepper.

2. Cook, uncovered, over low heat (you can turn it up a bit once the fat has begun melting). When the fat starts to melt and get slightly brown, add onions (and garlic cloves if you like), and continue cooking until onions and cracklings are golden brown and crunchy.

3. When partially cooled, strain over a bowl to remove onions and cracklings, and refrigerate them in a covered glass jar. Poor schmaltz into another jar, cover, and refrigerate.

chiody 01-07-2010 11:58 AM

There's a Morton Grove, IL Chinese Restaurant that make fried chicken skins that are so good....... And it's provided as an appetizer if you ask for it......

Over the holidays, we bought a huge tray and it lasted 3 days. :clap::clap:

teensville 01-26-2010 12:45 PM

There is a grocery store near my house which has hand trimmed chicken breasts. I go in and request the discarded skin which they sell to me for 47 cents a lb. Maybe check with a local butcher in your area. They usually just throw it away.