Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Eat Fat, Get Thin
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2009, 12:58 PM   #1
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: CarolynF
Stats: 195/141/139
WOE: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Start Date: January 2001
Eat Fat, Get Thin percentages and calories

I found this in my Word file and thought it might be helpful for all of us..

Darling Linda Sue figured out how much of each category we would have to eat to stay
in the approximate percentages:

PER DAY:
15% CARBS
20% PROTEIN
65% FAT

75 grams carbs
100 grams protein
144 grams fat
2000 calories

68 grams carbs
90 grams protein
130 grams fat
1800 calories

56 grams carbs
75 grams protein
108 grams fat
1500 calories

45 grams carbs
60 grams protein
87 grams fat
1200 calories

38 grams carbs
50 grams protein
72 grams fat
1000 calories

30 grams carbs
40 grams protein
58 grams fat
800 calories

CarolynF is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-19-2009, 01:31 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Tesaje
Stats: 160/160/130
WOE: Lo carb/organic
Is the theory that the amount of protein you need determines which of the others you need and therefore the number of calories? E.g., if I need 70-80 gms protein then I would use the 1500 calorie set of numbers?
Tesaje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 01:49 PM   #3
Always on, slightly off

Gallery: CindyCRNA
Stats: 152/132/121 Currently 120's lbs, 5'7" 52 years old
WOE: 35%/25%/45% (F,P,C 1850 calories/day)
Start Date: Raising carbs 1/10
Tesaje, That would make sense. Keeping the protein down is harder than I imagined. I really have to juggle stuff to get it to work but I am new at this. I'm sure it becomes 2nd nature after a while.
CindyCRNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 02:33 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Meee
Stats: 5' 7" - 49 - F
WOE: ~ CAD ~
Start Date: 8/15/09
Thank You Sooooooo Much For That Carolyn! (I) reeeeeeeally needed THAT!
Meee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 03:38 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesaje View Post
Is the theory that the amount of protein you need determines which of the others you need and therefore the number of calories? E.g., if I need 70-80 gms protein then I would use the 1500 calorie set of numbers?
Well, Tesaje: This is a good starting point. If you can't lose on 1500, then cut back a bit on your calories a bit. It might mean cutting back to 60 percent fat.
Tweaking for individual bodies and metabolisms is the key..

You are welcome, Meee.
Old 03-19-2009, 04:48 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Carolyn... what if im eating this way from that Percentages Chart...
68 grams carbs
90 grams protein
130 grams fat
1800 calories

and i eat approximately 1800 calories and my Fat is Good but my Protein and Carbs are lower than 90 & 68... is that Better?
or should i try to keep it just the way it is on Your Chart
Old 03-19-2009, 05:48 PM   #7

Meee: I do think that the carb part is so variable..Linda Sue did a 15 percent for the carb level and, of course, when you get higher on the calories, the carbs go "up", too.

If you can eat 1800 calories and still lose, then okay. I do think it's fine if your protein and carbs are lower, for sure.

Everyone has a carb limit. Barry has written and told some of us that it's fine if we can only have 30-40 carbs a day. His "whole" thing on the carbs was that we didn't have to go below 20 carbs to lose weight on his plan because we "watch" the protein amount..

Does that make sense?
Old 03-20-2009, 02:01 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Thanks Carolyn!

Thanks Carolyn... im Have Been trying to eat appx 2000 calories a day because i got some advice in the Main Low Carb Lobby from a couple of different people that had been there since 2005 & 2006... they told me not to go To Low on Calories at 1st... they said if i Dont Lose THEN try to break it down lower... so now im down to 1800 and This Week is my 4th Week - but i think next week ill go 1700 then 1600 then 1500 until i start Losing... they told me i needed to "Tweak Things" until i figured it out? so im lowering it a little more each week now... I HOPE THIS WORKS... oh! and by the way! i DID order Barry's Book! Natural Health & Weight Loss hopefully it will be here TODAY so i can read over the weekend... the More i Read here on LCF i am becoming more attached to the EFGT plan... Thanks Again For The Advice!
Old 03-20-2009, 05:09 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: belleadonna
Stats: 164.6/162.4/130
WOE: Moderate carbs
Start Date: 6/16/14
Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyCRNA View Post
Tesaje, That would make sense. Keeping the protein down is harder than I imagined. I really have to juggle stuff to get it to work but I am new at this. I'm sure it becomes 2nd nature after a while.
[COLOR="Green"]Yeah, I am having trouble with this too. It is hard to keep the protein low and eat alot of fat. How do I keep the protein low? Yesterday I had 161 grams of protein which is WAY too much.

I can't just eat a piece of cheese for lunch because that doesn't satisfy me and I will overeat during the day.

I had bacon, 3 eggs and 1/2 grapefruit for breakfast. I plan to have corned beef and cabbage for lunch and that puts me up to 56 grams of protein already!!

[/COLOR]
belleadonna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 06:52 AM   #10
Always on, slightly off

Belledonna, for me, that was one of the hardest things. Here's an example of breakfast:

2 slices LC bread Fat=2 protein=24 carbs=26 fiber=24
2 tablespoons coconut oil
2 tablespoons butter
Now fat has been increased to 48 grams for this meal.
Lunch:
1 Oopsie
2 slices Muenster cheese
1 peice coconut oil fudge
Stats for lunch:
Fat=45 grams, protein=21 grams, carbs=2 grams
So far, my percentages for the day are Fat=72%, Protein=15%, carbs=12%
It is difficult to get the protein down. That was the hardest thing for me and I really have to work a menu around on ****** to get it to work. Last night, I made my BF a pizza with It. sausage and made myself one that was vegetarian because I really had enough protein in the meal with the cheese. For lunch, adding the coconut oil fudge (recipes all over this site) adds a tablespoon of pure fat with no protein. That is also why I added it to my toast. To way increase the fat to offset the protein in the bread.
If you don't like coconut oil, you could just add 2 T of butter for a total of 4T.
Old 03-20-2009, 07:01 AM   #11
Always on, slightly off

In looking at you breakfast and lunch, it seems not enough fat. I love bacon and eggs but there is so much protein in both and even with bacon, not enough fat. When I have eggs, I make deviled eggs so I can up the fat with mayo (I make coconut oil mayo) I know some who fry the eggs in 2-3 T butter, then be sure and pour the butter over the eggs at the end to get all the butter.
This really has been difficult, to keep protein down. I usually plan the day out on ****** and work the numbers until it is right. I try to keep my protein less than 80 grams a day but it is a struggle.
Oh, another thing I like is a green salad with full fat dressing or steamed broccoli with a homemade Holandaise sause over it. Side dishes with your meat are a way to add fat to the meal. Keep posting and we'll come up with ways. I've only been doing LC a couple of months and feel so much better on high fat but the trick is to keep you protein down.
Old 03-20-2009, 07:44 AM   #12
Senior LCF Member

[COLOR="DarkGreen"]Yeah, I will have to fiddle with it. I will cut down on the eggs a little. By the way, I scrambled them in 1 tbsp of butter. Forgot that part.

I do the coconut pills because I can't handle the oil on its own. I have tried it in coffee and tea but I can't stomach it. So, I take (9) CO pills a day plus (3) CLA pills and a tsp of CLO.

I will try the coconut bark too. That sounds good.
I will also incorporate coconut milk tonic from Mary Enig's book. I can usually only find the lowfat coconut milk at Trader Joes but I can add a tbsp of CO to that. I like the tonic. It's really good.

I really love meat especially a good ribeye steak. But those don't come in 3 or 4 oz portions so I usually end up with an 8 oz steak. Sometimes I put butter on it. But steaks really up the protein.

I forgot to mention also that I lift weights pretty heavy three days a week so I can probably handle a little more protein than the average bear.

I try and keep my carbs below 60 and get it in the form of dairy, fruit, and veggies. I get seriously addicted to candy and grains if I go too high on carbs so I keep that low.

Thanks for the suggestions. I will try and post my menu tomorrow and see how I do.

[/COLOR]
Old 03-20-2009, 08:40 AM   #13
Always on, slightly off

I can't take the coconut oil (CO) in drinks either. I always make CO bark, CO mayo or fry in it. I have both the virgin (Smells/tastes like coconut) and the unflavored (Luane at Walmart). Lifting weights does help you have a little more protein but 160 grams is too much. You and I are about the same weight and my max I'm supposed to have is about 75 which I push daily but you could probably get away with closer to 100 but I wouldn't think anymore unless you are a competition body builder. I love steaks also but have to cut them in half.
Old 03-20-2009, 09:42 AM   #14
Senior LCF Member

[COLOR="Purple"]Oh, I agree. 160 is way, way too much. I was shocked after I tallied it up. Egads, I ain't no Schwartzenegger.

I'm at 56 grams so far today so I think that I will do a low protein fatty dinner. [/COLOR]
Old 03-20-2009, 09:48 AM   #15

Getting your protein down is probably the hardest thing we do at EFGT.. But, it can be done and using fat fills us up, but not "out"..LOL
Old 03-20-2009, 03:14 PM   #16
Senior LCF Member

[COLOR="DarkOrchid"]Agreed.
That's what I love so much about this way of eating. The fat keeps me from munching on chips, ice cream, and candy bars. I had lunch at 12pm and I really kind of forcing myself to eat some supper.

I am having a mug of hot steamy coconut tonic, some cheese, and an orange.

Thanks for the imput and the help. [/COLOR]
Old 04-08-2009, 01:16 PM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: FreeIndeed
Stats: 228/215/130
WOE: Dr. Richard K. Bernstein & Protein Power
Start Date: March 17, 2009-finally found right lc plan for me
I am aiming for 78 grams of protein every day (I have 130 lbs of lean muscle according to Protein Power book).

no more than
6 carbs for breakfast
12 carbs for lunch
12 carbs for dinner

And if I'm still hungry, I fill up with FAT!!!!!!! and I do not limit the fat and I am here to tell you I eat a lot of fat.

I eat low carb ice cream - just make my own and sweeten it with liquid sweet n low (cuz the powdered kind has some carbs) or DaVinci syrup. Only limit the amount of ice cream because of carbs.

But one night I ate nothing but meat and homemade sf ice cream with sf whipped cream on top. don't do that often because I need some veggies -b ut what the hay - I was really enjoying this ice cream thing (just got the ice cream maker saturday).

The other times I tried high fat, I was eating too much protein - still kind of afraid of fat i guess and it didn't work. This time I limit carbs and protein and can't believe how much fat I am eating!!! But it was the only way to keep my blood sugar low - and ended up losing weight -so this is the plan I'm stickin with.

I should put my actual percentages in some program and see, but I'm afraid I'll fixate on percentages and freak myself out.

Last edited by FreeIndeed; 04-08-2009 at 01:19 PM..
FreeIndeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 02:42 PM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: FreeIndeed
Stats: 228/215/130
WOE: Dr. Richard K. Bernstein & Protein Power
Start Date: March 17, 2009-finally found right lc plan for me
Well, I'm unstalled and have lost another pound in the last two days. Eating just meat and eggs with as much fat as I want. I even cut out the lettuce or any veggies at all. I am taking supplements.

I keep thinking I will start tracking it and see what my percentages are but that seems to mess me up. I know only that I need to keep my carbs extremely low. I am actually going for zero carbs.

Then everything seems to fall into place.

Kinda like Dr. Atkins says to do on induction.
FreeIndeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 05:19 PM   #19
Always on, slightly off

It would be beneficial to see what your percentages are with this success so you can continue to replicate it. I would be interested to see it.
Old 04-26-2009, 11:18 AM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: locarblady
I too have been trying to cut down the protein while upping the fat. I'm also trying to get my carbs from veggies and a tiny amount of fruit. Is it possible to make this plan work eating more veggies with fat ...ie...lots of butter and olive oil on salads and cream with fruit and get the protein from eggs and yogurt and consume less meat?
locarblady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 10:14 AM   #21
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Mandork
Stats: 278/268/200?
WOE: Curves/Atkins
Start Date: 18 Oct 2009
I'm intrigued by this WOE

I haven't really been on this board much because I haven't been trying very hard to do low carb. But I ran across the EFGT book in a charity shop the other day (why oh why didn't I just BUY it?!?) and I had a look at the principles while I was in the store. I've tried to do regular Atkins a couple of times but I never seem to make it through the first day. Poor planning, really.

My biggest problem is the totally impractical nature of trying to eat low carb in a two-person household, where the other person (DH) steadfastly refuses to believe that it is anything but quackery. It doesn't make much sense to cook two single-serving meals, you know?

At any rate, this plan (or the carb addicts plan) seems like it might be a bit easier to tweak around a "normal" eating pattern. What is more important--the ratio of fats-carbs-protein, or the actual amount of each? So if, for instance, I'm too busy to cook anything and just fix spaghetti, would adding a little extra fat to tweak the ratios be okay?
Mandork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 01:05 PM   #22
Always on, slightly off

Mandork, unfortunately, spaghetti is just way too many carbs. There isn't a way to make it fit. However, I live with a confirmed carbaholic and here is how I do it. Last night we had roast leg of lamb for dinner. We both had a nice helping of lamb, I had a side salad of baby greens and 1/2 of a yellow bell pepper with Blue cheese dressing. He had a side of rosemary mashed potatoes and broccoli (I could have had broccoli, I just opted for the salad) so this can definitely work in a family where there are different diets. People do this all the time with kids.

With spaghetti, I cook up a super LC tofu noodle (probably not available in England) stir fry some sausage, pour some of the sausage and grease on mine and top with Parmesan cheese and top his regular pasta with sausage and a tomato based sauce. What I'm getting at is you can do this even if your significant other does not and you both can sit down and eat together.
Old 04-27-2009, 01:19 PM   #23
Always on, slightly off

Locarblady, yes, absolutely but the problem is that the carbs in the vegetables start adding up so there is only so far you can go. Some good ideas:
Fresh spinach sauteed in bacon grease with crumbled bacon on top
Broccoli with holandaise sauce
Dark green salad with 1/2 of a red bell pepper and a full fat dressing
A small amount of berries with a mound of fresh whipped cream on top
Small amount of berries and brie cheese (a low protein cheese)
Saute shredded cabbage in bacon grease and top with bacon (or leave the bacon off for lower protein)
Bell peppers/celery dipped in full fat dressing (I like Blue Cheese)
Avocado or guacamole
These are just a few but as you surf this board, you will get more ideas. Go over to No Fooling Around Food/Exercise Log and you will see some menues.
Old 04-27-2009, 02:34 PM   #24
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: locarblady
Thanks so much Cindy....I love my veggies and love a small baked sweet potato (with butter of course! for a quick dinner, along with a salad and blue cheese dressing or olive oil. I keep track of the carbs each day, usually eating lower carb veggies, but was having trouble cutting back on the protein while upping the fat. Smaller portions of meats and more veggies with fat lets me get into the correct ranges. I'll check out the menus.
locarblady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 08:31 AM   #25
Always on, slightly off

Ms LC, I love sweet potatoes and so does my BF. I bake one for him at least 3 times a week, with butter and brown sugar of course. I am trying to stay between 20 and 30 carbs right now to control cravings and sweet potatoes don't fit in right now. In fact, I was just on the Food Networks recipe site and got a recipe for sweet potato pound cake that I am looking forward to making for work but won't eat!

Brie is a really good cheese also as it has 10 grams of fat to 5 grams of protein. I get mine at Costco so it cost 1/3 of the price as the store. If you like Brie.
Old 10-31-2009, 09:33 AM   #26
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lovexoxohug
hi all

i'm 5'3 , 184lbs, so i should eat 1500-1800 calories per day? i'm really new to this diet..ops..i havent started!
lovexoxohug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 08:56 AM   #27
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: jtaylor1966
Stats: 272/253/200
WOE: Diabetes Solution
Start Date: September 21, 2009
Trouble in paradise

I am 6'2", male, and currently 255. I have been doing the diabetes solution diet (close to the EFGT diet except for 30 g of carbs a day). I have been doing about 1200-1300 calories a day and losing weight (70% fat, 20-25% protein, 5-10% carbs). I am trying to stay in a 72-76 g protein and keep my blood sugar down. I was trying to move the calories up to the 1500 calories (like the ratios above adding snacks and such) and I gained weight (over 7 pounds to 260). The calorie change was trying to be healthier (not lose mussel or anything). It seems I lose the weight if I eat the lower calories (1200-1300) and wait 4-5 hours between meals. I can do ok for those 4-5 hours without being hungry. Do I need to shift my ratios? Is the 1200-1400 still safe for my size?
jtaylor1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 06:38 AM   #28
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: coralskies
New to Groves, not new to high fat

I just joined this message board and am hoping to learn how to measure things out and adjust my diet accordingly. I'm thinking of ordering Groves' book Natural Health & Weight Loss. Is this the one I should get?

I started low carbing it 06/09, but think I overdid the protein. Initially I lost 10 pounds, but then gained it back and MORE. I was increasing my fat consumption, but not decreasing my protein consumption. And eating carbs slowly decreased with a fair amount of cheats along the way. I realize now that I'm actually addicted to them. I've been getting better at resisting though.

Fit Day is difficult for me to figure out. There are grams recommended, then percentages recommended and I'm dyslexic when it comes to math and numbers. So will the book help me figure out what to eat and how much of it? I'm getting to the point where I'm afraid to put anything into my mouth! I weigh more now than I ever have so I MUST be doing something very wrong.

Glad to have found you. Hope I can keep up. I don't see how we are alerted to new messages here, so I'll keep checking.

Thanks so much!
coralskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 09:47 AM   #29
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: tkellough49
Stats: 165.5/154/140
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Jan 6, 2010
I don't even try and count my protein and I have lost 7 lbs the first week. The only thing I worry about is my carbs and I have been keeping them under 10 my first week, except for 1 day and I had 21. This is obviously working for me.
tkellough49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 06:04 PM   #30
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: jennyjennyjen
I wish the media would simply tell the truth. Fat is not the problem. The problem is sugar. If we were to be consistent and reduce our sugar and carbohydrate in take to a bare minimum we all would be slim. Please reply.
jennyjennyjen is offline   Reply With Quote