Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Eat Fat, Get Thin
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2011, 02:40 PM   #91
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: sjl330
Stats: 184/141/140 5'7"
WOE: EFGT-Barry Groves
Start Date: January 2003
No, I fix my eggs in butter, put butter on my veggies, or melt some on my steak. I use bacon grease as a flavor enhancer for eggs or veggies too plus use it to fry my meats sometimes. I use cream in my coffee. And I don't cut the fat off my meat. I don't feel like I eat tons of fat but it adds up and keeps the percentages in the right ballpark. Have you read any of Barry Grove's books or investigated his web site? I think we've all been brainwashed for so long that fat is bad that once we decide to actually eat it it takes some hard thinking about just how to eat it. Good luck to you.

At the beach.... time you enjoyed wasting, is NOT time wasted. TS ELLIOT
sjl330 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-22-2011, 02:48 PM   #92
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: franciejones
Stats: 241/215.6/150 5'5"
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: 12-26-2013 LAST START
Thanks. I have not read the book and just plan to get information from forums like this one.

It seems I am already on the right track. I was just looking for more recipes to get an idea ...
franciejones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 12:32 PM   #93
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Furious Bunny
Stats: Overfat/Correcting/Maximum density
WOE: LC real food (scotch is real food, right?)
Start Date: January 2011
I think this plan is how I'm eating. I tried LC once before but always felt bad about eating fats (I was raised in the low-fat 1980s so it's hard to let go of childhood brainwashing), and in the end eating mostly salads, tuna, and grilled chicken breasts wasn't sustainable for me. Ignoring fat intake this time around has been wonderfully liberating, and steadily losing 1-2 lbs a week with no effort on my part hasn't sucked either.

As far as foods? I love foods.

Bacon and avocadoes together are magically delicious. The bacon adds flavor to the avocado, and the fattiness of the avocado extends the creaminess of the bacon fat. Wonderful if you're trying to up your intake of plants and fats. Full-fat plain strained yogurt is so good I can't contemplate ever eating Yoplait (skim milk, sugar, corn syrup, more sugar) ever again. I love roasting broccoli, cauliflower, brussels sprouts, and kale in olive oil, sea salt, and fresh garlic. Coconut cream and cocoa powder together are decadent -- add some berries for sweetness and cocoa nibs for, um, additional chocolatiness. Berries and heavy whipping cream; cauliflower mozzarella "breadsticks"; boquerones; tuna martinis; spaghetti squash with pesto, garlic and parmesan; bacon-wrapped spinach-stuffed chicken breasts; melt-in-your-mouth fatty steaks, etc., etc.. I could go on and on (well, I guess I already have)... :blush:
Furious Bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 07:16 AM   #94
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Sunny7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Furious Bunny View Post
I think this plan is how I'm eating. I tried LC once before but always felt bad about eating fats (I was raised in the low-fat 1980s so it's hard to let go of childhood brainwashing), and in the end eating mostly salads, tuna, and grilled chicken breasts wasn't sustainable for me. Ignoring fat intake this time around has been wonderfully liberating, and steadily losing 1-2 lbs a week with no effort on my part hasn't sucked either.

As far as foods? I love foods.

Bacon and avocadoes together are magically delicious. The bacon adds flavor to the avocado, and the fattiness of the avocado extends the creaminess of the bacon fat. Wonderful if you're trying to up your intake of plants and fats. Full-fat plain strained yogurt is so good I can't contemplate ever eating Yoplait (skim milk, sugar, corn syrup, more sugar) ever again. I love roasting broccoli, cauliflower, brussels sprouts, and kale in olive oil, sea salt, and fresh garlic. Coconut cream and cocoa powder together are decadent -- add some berries for sweetness and cocoa nibs for, um, additional chocolatiness. Berries and heavy whipping cream; cauliflower mozzarella "breadsticks"; boquerones; tuna martinis; spaghetti squash with pesto, garlic and parmesan; bacon-wrapped spinach-stuffed chicken breasts; melt-in-your-mouth fatty steaks, etc., etc.. I could go on and on (well, I guess I already have)... :blush:
wow, can you come over and cook for me, it all sound so delicious,
Sunny7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 08:53 AM   #95
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Aediekins
Stats: St/199 Curr/163 Goal/155
WOE: Low-Carb
Start Date: 8 more lbs to go!!
I think I've been pretty much doing this, I don't follow any particular plan right now, I just eat low-carb foods, but I want to make sure I'm not overdoing the protein. I'm trying to get my percentages straight, so I figured my Lean body weight is 140 so according to the calculations I will aim to get 60-70 grams of protein. So if those 60-70 grams of protein is 20% of my total, then how many carbs and how much fat. I've been trying to figure it out, but I suck at math.

Also someone mentioned protein over 25 grams acts as carbs? Is that per meal? Cause obviously we're eating more than 25.

ETA- Rough estimates would have me at 60-70grams of protein, 130 grams of fat and 40-50 grams of carbs, does that sound right? That seems like a lot of carbs!

Low-Carb foods are not created equal
Enjoy- cream, butter, coconut oil, olive oil, fresh chicken, fish, beef, pork, bacon, sausage, cheese, LC veggies, berries/melon, dressings, stevia, chocolate (75% cocoa) and red wine
Avoid - Mayo, canola oil, too much protein, processed LC foods (tortillas, candy, shakes, bars) Splenda and other artificial sweeteners, corn products (xanthan gum, dextrose, maltodextrin)

Last edited by Aediekins; 04-08-2011 at 08:58 AM..
Aediekins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 09:06 AM   #96
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aediekins View Post
I think I've been pretty much doing this, I don't follow any particular plan right now, I just eat low-carb foods, but I want to make sure I'm not overdoing the protein. I'm trying to get my percentages straight, so I figured my Lean body weight is 140 so according to the calculations I will aim to get 60-70 grams of protein. So if those 60-70 grams of protein is 20% of my total, then how many carbs and how much fat. I've been trying to figure it out, but I suck at math.

Also someone mentioned protein over 25 grams acts as carbs? Is that per meal? Cause obviously we're eating more than 25.

ETA- Rough estimates would have me at 60-70grams of protein, 130 grams of fat and 40-50 grams of carbs, does that sound right? That seems like a lot of carbs!
Math-

Carbs 45 per day is 18% (out of a possible 240 grams)
Fat 130 per day is 54% (out of a possible 240 grams)
Protein 65 per day is 27% (out of a possible 240 grams)

So that can't be right. I need less carbs and protein and more fat.

So maybe
Carbs 40 per day 17% (out of a possible 240 grams)
Fat 140 per day 58% (out of a possible 240 grams)
Protein 60 per day 25% (out of a possible 240 grams)

Still not enough fat!!!
Old 04-08-2011, 09:12 AM   #97
Major LCF Poster!

Carbs 30 12.5%
Fat 150 62.5%
Protein 60 25%

This looks better. So if I end up eating more fat than 150 grams, I need to eat more protein and carbs, or just leave it at more fat?
Old 04-08-2011, 09:15 AM   #98
Major LCF Poster!

Also, I have to count ALL carbs? No deducting fiber?
Old 04-08-2011, 12:34 PM   #99

That looks great Chelsie. Do you use ******? It figures out your %s for you as you add your foods so you can tell at a glance where you are at any given point in the day. I don't really count fiber, just the carbs. But I do keep the fiber in mind if I tend to be a bit high in carb %. If it was high fiber carbs I don't freak out. If it's just regular carbs, then I try to cut it back a bit.
Old 04-08-2011, 12:55 PM   #100
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjl330 View Post
That looks great Chelsie. Do you use ******? It figures out your %s for you as you add your foods so you can tell at a glance where you are at any given point in the day. I don't really count fiber, just the carbs. But I do keep the fiber in mind if I tend to be a bit high in carb %. If it was high fiber carbs I don't freak out. If it's just regular carbs, then I try to cut it back a bit.
I guess I was just looking for a starting point, so you think the numbers above are good? Thanks for any input.
Old 04-08-2011, 01:26 PM   #101

Any program that will figure out the %s for you is good in my book. And yes, I think your #s look good. I see you've joined us in our other thread, so that's good. You'll get great feedback there and if you hang around you'll find you love us and just can't leave, no matter what WOE you're doing, lol. Really, I love all of them and we've been a group for quite a few years now and everybody is always welcome to join us.
Old 10-08-2011, 05:46 AM   #102
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Sunsets
WOE: Learning healthier eating choices as time goes by
Sounds like a wonderful concept of eat fat and get thin. It is great to know I am eat the fat :-)
Sunsets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 05:36 PM   #103
Zed
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Zed
I have been eating nearly similar to this but have been grilling all my meats fish etc so i might be losing fat this way.

So it looks like you are frying your meats so i was just wondering what are you using to fry with? Is coconut oil a good option?

Last edited by Zed; 02-25-2012 at 05:45 PM..
Zed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 03:03 PM   #104
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Monkeyfish
Stats: 210/195.8/135
WOE: Atkins (grain/wheat free)
Start Date: May 8, 2012
I've eaten over 200 grams of fat already today and it's only 6 PM. My calories are at 2000 and my carbs are at 20 so I guess it's time to pack it in for the day! haahaah! (i hope i am not going to die) LOL
Monkeyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 03:35 PM   #105
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: DebbyL
Stats: 168/130/128
WOE: Maintenance
Start Date: WtLoss->Sept11-Oct12->Maint.
Success stories?

Hi,
I'm new to this thread. Curious as to how you are all doing?
Thanks!
Debby
DebbyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 07:48 AM   #106
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kat mommy
Stats: 107.9/ 91.1/ 76 Kg.
WOE: Atkins72
Start Date: restart Jan 2012
Hi everyone
I was using Atkins induction then just bounced for weeks ..but after four months I got the nerve to add more fat!!
I have started to loose again ,I feel fuller longer and most of my cravings have gone awy.
I eat 70 % or more of fat each day
carbs are usally 5% or less
protein is around 20-24%
I find the fat makes me feel less hungry between meals,the binge eating problem is mostly under control, in fact I have noticed I eat more fat and at the same time take in less calories. Somedays I even need to add more fat to get my % up.
I also feel less tired than I use to.
Thanks to this community I know I will make it to my goal weight.
Old 07-03-2012, 03:58 PM   #107
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: DebbyL
Stats: 168/130/128
WOE: Maintenance
Start Date: WtLoss->Sept11-Oct12->Maint.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kat mommy View Post
Hi everyone
I was using Atkins induction then just bounced for weeks ..but after four months I got the nerve to add more fat!!
I have started to loose again ,I feel fuller longer and most of my cravings have gone awy.
I eat 70 % or more of fat each day
carbs are usally 5% or less
protein is around 20-24%
I find the fat makes me feel less hungry between meals,the binge eating problem is mostly under control, in fact I have noticed I eat more fat and at the same time take in less calories. Somedays I even need to add more fat to get my % up.
I also feel less tired than I use to.
Thanks to this community I know I will make it to my goal weight.
Hi Kat!
I found more discussion at this thread:
Sizzling Slimmers July Challenge

I'm so happy for you, that fat is helping you! Amazing isn't it!?
DebbyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 01:41 AM   #108
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kat mommy
Stats: 107.9/ 91.1/ 76 Kg.
WOE: Atkins72
Start Date: restart Jan 2012
Hi Debby
Thanks!! I will jump over for a visit there !
kat mommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 09:58 AM   #109
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Cajunade
WOE: Low carb general
Start Date: 07/20/2012
This makes sooo much sense

Hi Sandy: I've tried Atkins in the past, and the whole time, I was afraid I was damaging my kidneys with all the protein. It just didn't "feel" healthy to me. A friend recently started a low-carb, average protein diet in which she lost 20 lbs. and feels great. When she told me about it, "ding" the light went off. Now, this makes sense to me. I've been overweight all my life despite being one of the most active kids ever - swimming, tennis team, gymnastics - you name it - I was in it. I grew up in a family where meat and bread were the staples, therein the extra carbs. I hadn't heard of this plan before, but it sounds very similar. I've been following a very similar plan for the past five days - didn't want to do Atkins again because of the kidney fears. After two days of feeling way lousy, I began to feel a lot better. Now, Day 5, my body feels different. I'm down about four pounds, but it's almost like I can feel my muscle tone. I know I've lost quite a bit of fluid, but I believe it's more than that. I'm hoping my instincts are right, and this is gonna be the right plan for me. This thread has inspired me to definitely do more research on the "Eat Fat, Get Thin" plan. Thanks for all the insight.
Cajunade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 04:40 PM   #110

You are so welcome. There's a whole crew of us here on LCFs who do this. Come on over to our monthly challenge thread and join in the discussion. All are welcome!

Sizzling Slimmers July Challenge
Old 01-05-2013, 04:26 AM   #111
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: butterball
hello all you Barry Groves devotees. It was reading his books that first got me into this WOE.
Ive been on the nutritional ketosis group for a while and happened in on to this group. Am I right in thinking that the protocol here is using lower numbers ?
[I]'m in a bit of a quandary myself. I have noticed that although I have lost no weight for months (say nine ) ,nor do I weigh more ,I have gotten bigger in the chest department.(really good muffin tops ) I had enough to begin with and am not happy to be getting more . I have history of fibroids and fibrous breasts though not badly.
I am post menopause now but I still get hot flashes.
I was reading the iodine thread on The Optimal Living site and fibrocystic breast disease was being discussed.I have no reason to believe iam iodine deficient but I read somewhere that digesting more protein uses up more iodine. Then I happened to read some conventional stuff which said that eating a low fat diet was the way to go. I dont want to go down that route but I have ramped up the fat this last couple of weeks with the BP coffee and I have noticed some slight tenderness in the breasts. I have also considered that my chocolate consumption might be a cause,I eat 20gms of 85% and 5gms of powder in a drink. I didnt know that theobromine in cocoa can affect iodine levels too.
Sorry for this long and winding post but I was wondering if any of you ladies have expereinced anything similar to that which I have described?
My feeling is that I have become oestrogen dominant but what has sparked this I dont know.All just guess work !! Thanks,
Barbara
butterball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 06:56 AM   #112

I haven't had anything like that Barbara. I am on BHRT so I don't know if that might be why? Maybe some of the others will chime in with their experience. I don't remember anybody saying anything about it though.
Old 01-06-2013, 12:26 PM   #113
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: butterball
Hi Sandy, I havnt heard of anything like it either . I suppose I ought to go of to the docs and slap it on with a trowel and see if I can get my levels tested.
Barbara
butterball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 03:44 PM   #114
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: oriana
Does anyone ever eat a treat now and again on this? I am on maintenance. Is it okay to have some chocolate or fruit now and again?
oriana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 03:54 PM   #115
Major LCF Poster!

About how many calories do you eat, Sandy?
Old 01-06-2013, 06:22 PM   #116

I don't really track very well any more as I'm on maintenance too. But I do have occasional fruit and chocolate. I also have occasional extra carbs. I weigh daily so keep very close tabs on my weight and try to not let it get out of hand. When I did track I ate 1800-2000 calories a day, keeping the EFGT percentages in the right zone.
Old 01-07-2013, 04:37 AM   #117
Major LCF Poster!

Sandy, would coffee with 4 T. of HWC and splenda and 3 oz. of cheese for breakfast be too much?
Old 01-07-2013, 06:54 AM   #118

It would be too much for me, but everybody is different. You just have to eat on plan, in the way that seems good for you, and then evaluate your progress. A lot of people have to be super strict, I am one of the lucky ones who could eat more calories and still lose. Everybody is different; finding your path is the hard part, but when you do, it's like finding a treasure.
Old 02-03-2013, 01:23 PM   #119
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sissie35
Stats: 171/140/125
WOE: HcG/Simeons Protocol started 9/12
Start Date: Getting serious 5/19/2008
Finally got the book...

And don't see anything in there about the percentages. I have looked through it and so far, to be honest, I am kind of disappointed in the book. Does anyone know which chapter or pages specifically talk about the percentages? Thanks in advance for any and all help!
sissie35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 08:41 PM   #120
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Lyric
Stats: 220/210/145
WOE: LC/paleo
Start Date: March 2013
Thanks for the post - VERY helpful !!!
Lyric is offline   Reply With Quote