Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Eat Fat, Get Thin
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-21-2009, 01:49 PM   #61
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Kapri
Having read further

I am wondering if even if I did over do the cream it was the slackness on carbs (sugary ones) that was actually the problem.

I think I have misunderstood the significance of fat and the amount we are supposed to eat.

I need to re-read the book.

This is an excellent and informative discussion.

Kapri
Kapri is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 06-19-2009, 09:33 AM   #62
Pam
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Pam
Stats: 181/150/145
WOE: moderate carbs
Start Date: March 2001
Do any of you drink wine while on this plan? I'm maintaining on Atkin's and enjoy drinking wine with dinner.
Pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 11:50 AM   #63
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: sjl330
Stats: 184/141/140 5'7"
WOE: EFGT-Barry Groves
Start Date: January 2003
Yes, Pam, I have a few drinks a week and have been maintaining for a very long time. If I wanted to lose more I know I'd have to cut back or cut out those drinks for awhile. That's just me, YMMV. Do you want to lose or maintain? Have you seen our monthly thread, June Bug Challenge? You're welcome to join in with us. We love new peeps.
sjl330 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 01:01 PM   #64
Pam
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjl330 View Post
Yes, Pam, I have a few drinks a week and have been maintaining for a very long time. If I wanted to lose more I know I'd have to cut back or cut out those drinks for awhile. That's just me, YMMV. Do you want to lose or maintain? Have you seen our monthly thread, June Bug Challenge? You're welcome to join in with us. We love new peeps.
Thanks for the invitation, Sandy. I have not seen your monthly thread. I'll check it out, though. I frequent the "LC Recipe Help & Suggestions", on this site, almost daily. I've been curious about this forum since Carolyn(F) uses EFGT for her weight control. I love her recipes!

I'm like you, if I wanted to lose more, I'd have to give it up or cut back...but I'm satisfied with my current weight.

If I wanted to switch to the EFGT plan, how do I "count" the wine? The wines I drink are dry, so the carb content is fairly low.

Also, what would be the best book to buy?
Old 06-19-2009, 01:38 PM   #65

Barry Grove's Natural Health & Weight Loss is what most people consider the best one. I just put whatever I'm drinking into ****** and let it do the figuring for me. When I'm actually "counting" that is.

Carolyn is our leader. After Barry that is, lol.

Here's where to find us:
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ea...ge-thread.html
Old 06-20-2009, 06:32 AM   #66
Pam
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks, Sandy
Pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 02:43 PM   #67
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: socialgym
Has anyone tried mixing 1 part pure, unsweetened cranberry juice to 4 parts water? Or squeezing lemon into water? I use these to detox after a few glasses too many the night before... I would say, the placebo effect works nicely.
socialgym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 04:31 PM   #68
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: E.W.
Stats: 318/297/ a lot less
WOE: Fast5
Start Date: restart again 1/17/2014
There is a "Eat fat grow thin" article at: David Mendosa: A Writer About Diabetes
it's a good read.

I also stumbled upon an article " Two brave men " about 2 men living for
a year or 2 ( I forget which) in a hospital setting on a 100% meat diet. It
too pointed up the need to keep the fat consumption up!

Look at: http://inhumanexperiment/blogspot.com/2009/09
E.W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 12:11 PM   #69
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: droppin
Stats: 258.4/223/150-new start 12/29/2011
WOE: My Own Low Carb
Start Date: 12/29/2011
Great post and great information,thanks
droppin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 04:18 PM   #70
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: DebbiAnn
Stats: 200/195/150
WOE: Modified Atkins/CAD
Start Date: April 2009
This WOE sounds a lot like "Protein Power" I tried it for a while, my big problem is keeping track, even on ******. I am retired and my hubby and I eat out a lot. I usually stick to low carb meals. Burger no but side salad real ranch dressing. I haven't been losing any weight lately, and when my body gets to a certain weight it likes, it stops. Getting it moving again at least downward can be very depressing. I am going to give this a try. I am going for 1500 cal a day. I'll let ****** do the math. It may take a while to see where I need to make adjustments to get the ratio right. I have a habit of grabbing a piece of cheese when looking for a snack. I really miss carrots and potatoes.

Also, what about Artificial Sugar, Sweet n Low, Equal, Splenda, most other low carb diets suggest you limit them. I like my diet coke for lunch. I also put splenda in my tea. Nothing was mentioned about water. I try to drink 64 oz a day, but it gets hard at times. I am going to look for the book. I have protein power.

Thanks for this tread, I needed something to encourage me, I have been bouncing around trying different things hoping to get me moving again.
DebbiAnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 02:20 PM   #71
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: jtaylor1966
Stats: 272/253/200
WOE: Diabetes Solution
Start Date: September 21, 2009
Still waiting

I started the this program in Sept. of last year at 272 pounds. I lost 22 pounds in the first few weeks but since November I have been bouncing between 250 and 256 pounds back and forth a few times. I cannot seem to lose any more pounds. I have been eating between 1200-1600 calories (according to ******) a day at a ratio of 65-70% fat, 25% protein and 5-10% carbs. I have been walking about three times a week with some one hour - two hours of Tennis each week. Does anyone have tweaks that will help me start going down again? I am trying to change to eating to my largest meal at breakfast, smaller at lunch and smallest at dinner. Any other helpful suggestions would be welcome.
jtaylor1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 01:22 PM   #72
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lovexoxohug
jtaylor - i think your body is trying to lose pure fat.. it slows down ur weight loss.but once u lose fat.. u will look better!!

this is my personal op - i do cheat .... i eat carbs once while..sometimes i will lose 1-2 lbs by cheatin' ... i dont know u..but it's just my way..
lovexoxohug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 11:52 PM   #73
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MagicalHome
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjl330 View Post
There are so many questions about EFGT I decided to go back and compile some facts from past posts here on LCF in our EFGT threads. There is some info that Barry posted here and some quotes from CarolynF and some info from a variety of sites about lean body mass. I hope this will be helpful to all of us as we continue "on down our weigh" with EFGT.

The ratios to aim for are 10-15% carbs, 20-25% prot, 60-70% fat.

Quoted from a post of Barry Groves:
"The body can use either glucose or fats as a fuel. If it is used to using glucose and blood glucose falls too low, it will convert protein either from food or from muscle tissue.

If, on the other hand, you are on a low-carb, high-fat diet, and your body has gotten used to this, then it will use either dietary fats or body fats. Which is exactly what we want it to do.

Therefore, if you are on the conventional low-fat, low-calorie diet, protein intake is very important, as this will be used for glucose. On a high-fat diet, however, protein intake is not so important.

The problems come when people who are afraid of eating fat eat more protein while cutting down on fat.

There is one other consideration: Protein foods are expensive. Why eat more than you need?

I hope that makes sense"

Another Quote from an email in answer to a question Carolyn emailed him:

"Here is Barry's great answer to the calorie question:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Carolyn

I think there is a misunderstanding here. There is no EFGT 2,000 calorie program. Perhaps I should look at a rewrite if this is unclear.

The average calorie intake is around 2,000 calories (women a bit less; men a bit more) so I used that amount as an example in a couple of places on page 217 to show how the ratios are arrived at. But on pages 24/25 I say don't count calories, eat until you are satisfied.

People do different amounts of work and exercise, need different amounts of energy, and so they need to eat different amounts. And, of course, women tend to eat less than men.

So, you wouldn't need to eat 2,000 calories if you have an office job. But, then you would probably need to eat more if you are a builder's labourer or a marathon runner. If an individual is satisfied and not hungry with 1,200 to 1,300 calories, that's fine.

The important point is that satisfaction. The way our bodies work is programmed by the last 2 million years of Ice Ages. Our ancestors lived from one good hunt to the next, and there must have been times when food was in short supply and they starved. Our bodies evolved the facility of storing energy in the form of body fat to tide them over. As far as your body is concerned, low-calorie dieting is starving. This programmes your body to store fat. This is why people who use low-calorie diets get progressively fatter. What you must do is eat properly -- without the periods of hunger -- so that your body loses the need to store fat.

But, if you want to lose the fat your body has already stored, then you must NOT eat more than you need. You might think that means counting calories. It doesn't. Your body will make allowances and, if you do eat too much, it can get rid of any excess, as long as what you are eating is the right food. That is fat. Both fat and protein in excess are excreted, not stored. But if you eat to excess and some of that excess is carbs, then that WILL be stored."

CarolynF Quotes from past posts:
"Basically this plan is similar to Atkins except for the fact it's not an
all you can eat protein plan. First you figure out your lean body weight..
then divide it by 2.2 (to get kilograms), then multiply it by 1 or 1.5 to get the correct amount of grams of protein that you should take in..Too much will
act like carbs.

The percentages are what Barry is interested in..plus eating animal fats, plus
coconut and olive oil.

10-15 percent carbs/ 20-25 percent protein/60-70 percent fat..and eat according to your appetite..Some days you might be hungrier than other days.

Barry doesn't eat fruit or grains..but that's up to you. Some people will have some bread, but you need to count it all..

It's a good idea to do ****** - Free Weight Loss and Diet Journal to get a sense of what you should be eating..and how much.

Most women will eat around 50-80 grams of protein. If someone is very athletic, they would eat toward the top of the numbers."

This way of eating is basically finding out your lean body weight..Google it and you will find several ways to figure it out..either by measuring or just
putting in a number..THEN, take your lean body weight (without fat) and
multiply that number by .6 to find how many grams of protein your body needs for the day..You can go up maybe 10 more grams..but don't overload
because too much protein will act like carbs..

The percentages for your daily foods should be 10-15 percent carbs/20-30
percent protein/60-70 percent fat. Use ****** and you will get a good idea of
what you should eat..And don't eat more protein than you should..

The very best way to "eat" is to have balanced meals with your proportions approximate..For example, you wouldn't eat all your protein at one meal..or carbs..or fat..so balance each meal out as well as you can..

If you get to dinner and you have only 30 grams of protein all day..don't have
45 grams all at once to make up for the difference..Because, we all know that
those extra 25 grams act like carbs..not a good thing.."

Barry says the best oil to have is olive oil and coconut oil...And he recommends that we eat the fat off meat..like hamburger, pork, etc..

60-70 percent fat is NOT like 90 percent fat..and it's not like we are chowing down on sticks of butter..because there is fat in eggs, meat, cheese..and added fat for veggies, coffee, and salads really CAN ADD UP..That's why ****** is so great..It "does the math" for us.."

Lean Body Mass Info

To figure Lean Body Mass:
1st.You get your body fat percentage from one of those charts.
Then 100% - BF% = "the rest of your body"
Then multiply your weight now by "the rest of your body"
And you get the % of lean body mass.

This seems to be a great calculation tool for figuring LBM
Calculator

Figure out how much protein you need..by using your lean body mass..(not including the fat) and divide it by 2.2 to get the kilograms..then multiply it by 1 or 1.5 (men are higher)..

On the protein thing: Some people with more muscles can eat MORE protein to maintain their muscles..So, they might multiply their LBM by 1.3 or 1.4..to get a higher number.

My lean body weight is around 95 pounds (minus fat)..I would divide it by 2.2..would
give me 45 kilograms..Okay..then to find out how much protein I would need, I would
multiply that number by 1 or 1.5..so I would need 45 to 67 grams of protein per day to maintain muscle mass..Men need more.
thank you for the info and fact , I learned something here again.
MagicalHome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 06:53 PM   #74
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: used2bfat
Stats: 190/189/120
Thanks Magical Home and Pam for the useful info.
used2bfat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 02:59 PM   #75
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: dBailey
Stats: 209/175/175
WOE: maintenance
I haven't read Barry's books but have read many of his articles and IS he saying that if one eats more fats than protein then the body will NOT use protein as fuel? And if so much fat is being consumed every day wouldn't it be that fat that is burned for fuel rather than the fat that is already in our bodies that we want to lose? So much of what Barry says flies in the face of conventional advice...it's hard for me to believe that so much saturated fat is good for us! South Beach says to eat as much protein as you want and minimize saturated fats and other plans say different things...how do we know which plan if any, is the best way to eat for life not just to lose weight? I need to hear from those who have had success with Barry's plan..
Dennis
dBailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 07:24 AM   #76
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: dBailey
Stats: 209/175/175
WOE: maintenance
I just emailed Barry with my questions...does anyone know if he replies to emails?
dennis
dBailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 12:02 PM   #77
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: gollum
WOE: HFLC
Start Date: Aug 2008
This was an interesting read, since I'm apparently a natural EFGT eater! At least whenever I've checked, my fat intake is always around 65-70%. My body just needs fat to function properly. Plus, it tastes good!
gollum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 10:28 AM   #78
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Sunny7
Quote:
Originally Posted by gollum View Post
This was an interesting read, since I'm apparently a natural EFGT eater! At least whenever I've checked, my fat intake is always around 65-70%. My body just needs fat to function properly. Plus, it tastes good!
went to our local goodwill yesterday, and found Barrys book eat fat get thin, for a 1.99---i grabbed that right up, first time i saw one of his books there, ----there is always atkins books there, and protein power, but you don't see Barry or gary taubes---will add it to my collection
Sunny7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 07:33 AM   #79
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Feather2B
Stats: 170/145/135 5' 9" 12/10/6
WOE: Fast>Stillman>SMD>Healthy
Start Date: 7/24/06: Reality Bites!
Hi guys, Sorry if this has been discussed before, but I have the book "Eat Fat, Lose Fat" By Mary Enig and Sally Fallon...So EFGT is a completely different thing then? Any similarities at all?
Feather2B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 02:36 PM   #80
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: wifezilla
Stats: 250/207/190
WOE: Read em all. Doing it my way.
Start Date: May 2007
Not completely different. The both say stay away from processed foods.
wifezilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 09:17 AM   #81
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: shunammite
Stats: 165/155/135
WOE: past Atkins, custom, now CAD
Start Date: this time April 2012
Eat Fat And Grow Slim

A link I found very helpful. I was doing Stillman's, losing well and not unpleasant but got nasty bladder infection, despite drinking plenty of water - not sure it was diet related, but thinking adding fat may be good for me - have done well on Atkins, have done well on low calorie low fat diet too - but looking for something PLEASANT for the long term - lately just adding a bit of fat, really great after hardly any for 6 weeks. But this link has a lot of detailed information, maybe not news to you guys but I did not know all of it. Still trying to figure out who to believe, I'm not up for going up and down with my weight "experimenting".
shunammite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 02:23 PM   #82
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Auntie Em
WOE: VLC-Pastoral
Start Date: Maintenance since 2000
Shunnammite, that book by Dr. MacKarness was the one that got me to go low carb. I ended up buying one, as I find it easier to read a real book than online, esp. a lovely book printed before the days of computers. I really enjoy reading it. Some new theory about metabolism and genetic intolerance of grains/carbs and such has come out since then. But, I think Dr. MacKarness' kind way of explaining things and the suggestions he makes, make it a very special book to me. I'd like to read all his other books, too. I wish I could have met him.

Hope you are doing well!

Best wishes for happy, healthy LCing.

Last edited by Auntie Em; 08-09-2010 at 02:23 PM.. Reason: corrected typeface
Auntie Em is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 03:19 PM   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by shunammite View Post
Eat Fat And Grow Slim

A link I found very helpful. I was doing Stillman's, losing well and not unpleasant but got nasty bladder infection, despite drinking plenty of water - not sure it was diet related, but thinking adding fat may be good for me - have done well on Atkins, have done well on low calorie low fat diet too - but looking for something PLEASANT for the long term - lately just adding a bit of fat, really great after hardly any for 6 weeks. But this link has a lot of detailed information, maybe not news to you guys but I did not know all of it. Still trying to figure out who to believe, I'm not up for going up and down with my weight "experimenting".
This book looks very similar to Barry Groves way of eating. I remember years ago when people wanted to lose weight they'd always quit eating potatoes and bread. Hmmmm, I guess they were onto something. Thankfully, more news reports are coming out in favor of low carb eating. Thanks for posting this link here.
Old 08-09-2010, 04:36 PM   #84
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Auntie Em
WOE: VLC-Pastoral
Start Date: Maintenance since 2000
Sandy, Barry has posted on his site that his and his wife's inspiration was Dr. MacKarness.

I remember that, too, about the potatoes and bread. I had a great-aunt who'd always tell me that if I ever needed to lose weight I should remember to pass by the bread. That it was starches that make people fat. I remember ladies putting the soda crackers in the little packages at restaurants into their handbags to give to the children, as they didn't eat them with their salads. I don't remember exactly when it all changed, it seems it was in the early-mid 1970s that the anti-meat thinking came around again. I've been reading Vilhjamur Stefansson's book, "The Fat of the Land". He writes of several anti-meat campaigns in the early part of the 20th century. His widow wrote the preface to Dr. MacKarness' book, in the American edition.

I find it fascinating to read these early works.

Last edited by Auntie Em; 08-09-2010 at 04:37 PM.. Reason: corrected spelling error
Auntie Em is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 12:11 AM   #85
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: paulwatson075
Stats: Paul Watson
Thanks for sharing the info great post. Diet play a vital role when it comes to lose weight managing your diet is the best way to control your body fat. Personal Diet plan should be taken in to consideration if want to get slim and lose body fat.
paulwatson075 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 11:20 AM   #86
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: meggabeef
Stats: 425/327/135
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: June 21/2010
I read a book by Dr. Broda Barnes, one of the leading authorities on the thyroid gland in the world, and he says that eating carbs and protein tax the thyroid gland. He says that he has put people on high fat, med protein and low carb diets since the 1930s, and people can lose 8-12 pounds a month without stalling or plateauing. He says that when he eats high carbs, his requirements for thyroid hormone increase. The same is true for proteins. However, fats do not tax the thyroid gland like the other two do. If you can lose weight without slowing down your metabolism, then this is the most advisable way to go, my opinion anyway.
meggabeef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 07:30 AM   #87
Senior LCF Member

WOE: Atkins (Induction)
Start Date: 1/14/2014 (again)
before i started atkins induction, my dr told me not to do lc, just increase my protein. well, i lc'd anyhow...lol...and figured i would just increase my protein also. I've still been feeling like I'm STARVING so i guess i need to put a little more fat into the diet and see how that goes, then.
brooke&kaitlynsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 09:32 AM   #88
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: franciejones
Stats: 241/215.6/150 5'5"
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: 12-26-2013 LAST START
Ok...I have been all through this EFGT board looking for food ideas.

I want to know what folks are eating for their fat other than coconut oil/bark???

I am right eating avocado to increase fat over protein at meals.

Not an easy feat...
Can some folks please list their "fatty" items please.

I am doing low carb..hoping for medium protein and high fat...however..the fat and protein grams are neck in neck and I am stalling.

Please help.
franciejones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 01:03 PM   #89

Fatty meats, butter, oil, cream.
Old 03-22-2011, 01:24 PM   #90
Senior LCF Member