LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-29-2014, 03:10 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sarahatl
WOE: No Flour No Sugar
Start Date: May 2013
How much protein per meal?

Hi All:
I know Dr. Bernstein recommends not to have too much protein because it may cause a spike in BS? Does anyone know the daily or meal recommendations? THank you!
sarahatl is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-02-2014, 12:54 PM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/111.8/124 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD 1/1/12 + LCHF 12/1/13 (controlling diabetes)
I used several online calculators to get an idea of how many grams of protein I should eat each day. The results, sigh, were in the 40 to 90 range. NOT a huge help.

I chose 70 grams more as a first approximation - I felt I had some healing to do and I do walk several miles after most meals.

Then I went to online calorie/carb/protein counters and found an ounce of cooked meat tends to contain between 5 and 10 grams of protein. I made a list of the meats I was most likely to eat, got out the kitchen scale, and started cooking.

Gradually, I adjusted based on how I felt and what my meter told me.

I feel great and the protein does not have an impact on my BG if I stay in the 50 - 60 gram/protein range. If I eat too little for too many days, I notice my energy level drops. If I eat too much I do see a late, slight BG rise...nbd as I am very well controlled...I just don't do it too often.
STILL below goal 2/15/14

I did not "lose" weight. I evicted it. It is gone and it ain't coming back!

JUDDD cares about calories. JUDDD does not care what you eat. Your body probably does.
gotsomeold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 12:27 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: haferchamp
Start Date: 12/15/12
Since I'm mathematically challenged and can't figure out ounces, grams, etc... my Doctor figured out that based on my weight (142) and to protect my bones from further loss, that I should be eating at each meal, protein portions about the size of a deck of cards, or the palm of my hand. Don't know if that will help you but having a visual has helped me. About 6 oz per serving.

Also, Dr. Bernstein says that for a non-pregnant, sedentary person of 150 lbs, they need a minimum of 11 1/2 oz. daily to prevent protein deficiency. More if you work out or are a larger person.

And of course it will vary from person to person.
haferchamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 06:02 AM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Aomiel
Stats: 330/140/140 A1c 4.8
WOE: Bernstein (Maintenance)
Start Date: January 2010
Bernstein says 1-1.5gm of protein per kilo of ideal weight. So even when I weighed 200, I knew my ideal weight was 140 and that's what I based it on. 140 lbs = 63.6 kilos (divide your weight in lbs by 2.2 for your kilo weight). Then multiply that number by 1-1.5. I found that 1 is perfect for me so I eat roughly 63gm of protein each day. Someone with more muscle mass might eat 1.5 or 95gm.
Aomiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 07:46 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Ronnie51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aomiel View Post
Bernstein says 1-1.5gm of protein per kilo of ideal weight. So even when I weighed 200, I knew my ideal weight was 140 and that's what I based it on. 140 lbs = 63.6 kilos (divide your weight in lbs by 2.2 for your kilo weight). Then multiply that number by 1-1.5. I found that 1 is perfect for me so I eat roughly 63gm of protein each day. Someone with more muscle mass might eat 1.5 or 95gm.
I saved this post to refer to in the future. Thank you for the great information.
Ronnie51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 07:22 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: haferchamp
Start Date: 12/15/12
Thanks for the info Aoimel in regards to protein amounts. It tells me i've been doing it wrong. I wasn't basing my amounts on my "ideal" weight and I was eating as if I had a large muscle mass!

So I guess I'll tweek my meal plans some more. A lot of trial and error but i'm getting better and better results as I go. It also helps to keep me on track if I read something each day about diabetes, whether from this site or from Dr. Bernstein. Otherwise, I find myself slipping back in to my diet of more carbs. Ugh!
haferchamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 06:12 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lazy girl
One poster in another thread said that a good rule of thumb is the number of protein grams should equal the number of half your ideal weight. In other words, if your ideal weight is 160 pounds, our ideal protein intake should be about 80 grams daily.

For me, my protein intake is calculated to be 20% of the daily caloric intake.

I've been concerned about eating too much protein also, but Russell said that he sometimes eats over that recommended amount without any negative consequences. It would be nice if he would comment in this thread.
lazy girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 07:26 AM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Russell1974
Stats: 5'8" - 361/267.6/161
WOE: high fat/low carb
Start Date: 5/1/2009
I have re-Inducted on 8/19, and have been averaging 150-200 g a day over the past 4 days. Cut down to 8 chicken thighs today, and still ate my 4XL eggs, so about 167 grams today. I am down 10.4 lbs. in 4 days.

Still, I am not saying that one should eat more protein. What I am saying is you should worry about carbs a lot more. If you are eating 20 g a day of carbs, and 70 g protein, try upping the protein a little, and test it on your meter. Let that determine how much protein you eat. If it spikes your blood sugar, then you may be converting protein to glucose. However, if you stay below 120 mg/dl, you may decide that eating more protein is okay, and choose to cut carbs more.

If I eat 50 g carbs, I aim for 125 g protein, but find that if I eat 20 g a day of carbs, I have no problem eating 160-200 g of carbs. There are other factors helping me, like my size, and being male, so you should be testing these yourself. Or you could follow the advice given to eat under X percent, or X grams. There is nothing wrong with low carb, AND low protein, going very high fat ( 80 % + ).

I am merely saying don't just accept that extra protein will be converted to glucose. A lot of it is just passed in our urine, with no effect on our blood sugars whatsoever. Test the idea, and find out whether more protein is a problem for you. Instead of asking what one should eat, we should test and find out those answers for ourselves. We have guidelines, but not all of us fit into these ranges.
Old 08-25-2014, 07:48 AM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Aomiel
Stats: 330/140/140 A1c 4.8
WOE: Bernstein (Maintenance)
Start Date: January 2010
My experience says you have to pay attention to both carbs and protein. They are equally important. Atkins didn't work for me as far as lowering my BG's. I know now it was because I was eating around 110-125gm of protein per day when I should've been eating around 60.

A man will, most likely, be able to eat more protein because of muscle mass. Active or more muscled women will probably also. If you are following all of Bernstein's guidelines (e.g. no fruit, no carbs except those in non-starchy vegies, etc.) and you still are getting high BG's, I'd drop down to the 1gm.

Russell, if *a lot* of extra protein is passed in the urine, that is a problem...unless you're taking one of the new medications designed to work just this way. As a diabetic, my doctor did routine urine tests for proteinuria to check for this excess protein as it is a sign of damaged kidneys from long term uncontrolled diabetes.

Type 2 controlled by low carb diet <25gm carbs and and controlled protein.
Aomiel is offline   Reply With Quote