Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-17-2014, 02:18 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: PianoAl
Stats: 165/155.5/155
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: June 2010
Suggested Blood Glucose Testing Protocol?

I like the Great Low Carb Bread Company's products, but I want to make sure that, for me, they don't spike blood sugar.

I'd like to get some advice on how to do the testing. For example, in the past I went overnight without eating anything, then ate the different test food, and measure BG at different times.

One problem with this, perhaps due to the dawn effect, was that I saw an increase in blood sugar even when all I ate was ground beef and bacon.

Any suggestions for when I should eat and how often I should measure my BG? For example, should I do it mid-afternoon??

Thanks,

Al
PianoAl is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-19-2014, 08:56 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: haferchamp
Start Date: 12/15/12
I suggest reading "Blood Sugar 101" by Jenny Ruhl. She talks about "eating to your meter" and the book will answer all your questions about when and how to test and what to eat and what to avoid.

I use a Relion meter from Walmart. Inexpensive compared to some of the others and probably about as reliable.

Good luck. I'll have to check out your low carb items myself. Thanks for the tip.
haferchamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 10:04 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Ronnie51
Your blood sugar is very normal, it didn't go above 115 even after eating waffles! I like the ThinSlim line of bagels which I believe is made by The Great Low Carb Bread Co. I find that my BG is the highest about an hour after eating, so I check it then to see how high a particular food has spiked me. (I have pre-diabetes and just started taking Metformin to prevent full blown diabetes). I've found that the ThinSlim bagels sometimes spike me and sometimes they don't and it varies from time to time. For example, I won't spike after breakfast one day but I will another day. These bagels are supposedly guaranteed not to spike BG, but I can't say that happens with me; I guess I'm very carb sensitive. There are a lot of factors that affect one's blood sugar levels, e.g., if you had exercised that morning, how you slept the night before, if you're stressed or not feeling well. Everyone is different of course, but I test first thing in the morning to get my fasting level. Then I test one hour after eating because that's when I'm the highest. Then I test again at two hours after eating to see how much my BG has come down. I also test randomly between meals to see what my BG is during the day. Why are you testing? Your BG levels look great to me.
Ronnie51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 12:03 PM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: shunsweets
Stats: maintenance
WOE: Bernstein
Start Date: May 2003
I like the lcbc breads too. I find that one slice works for me without a significant spike. It is normal for any meal to send bg up 10-30 points the key is if it returns to premeal levels after 2 hours. Your levels are fantastic! If I eat 2 slices of the bread I will see a higher increase and a slower return to premeal levels but my starting bgs are not nearly as good as yours to begin with. So my solution has been to enjoy 1 slice of bread and try not to have two!
shunsweets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 05:49 AM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Aomiel
Stats: 330/140/140 A1c 4.8
WOE: Bernstein (Maintenance)
Start Date: January 2010
I was told to test before my meal and then 2-3 hours after my meal. While I was still IR (with and without medication), trying to eat to a meter was pointless because I had no idea how much my body was putting out insulin at any given time. So my BG's on a different day with the exact same foods and activity levels could vary wildly. Eating to a meter probably works much better with Type 1's who do not produce any insulin on their own.

Now that my IR has been reversed for over a year, my BG's are fairly consistent as far as how fast the BG's come down after a meal...no matter what I eat. Then again, I eat pretty consistently - no more than 10gm of carbs at a meal and then only from non-starchy vegies. I'm sure that plays a huge role.

Please keep in mind that meters have a +/- error factor of 20 (if I remember correctly). So your meter says 115...but you could in reality be at 95...or 135. Which is why I would never 'eat' to my meter.
Aomiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 07:03 AM   #6
FLUFF'S FAVORITE BUBBE!!!

Location: What am I doing in this basket and why is it so warm in here????
Gallery: helenback
I pretty much limit my foods to the ones that I know will not spike my b.s.

However, when I am eating something new or different.

I test immediately before eating.
1 hr after eating
2 hrs after eating
3 hrs after eating.

If it is something that I am afraid will cause a big spike, I might go ahead and check it 30 minutes after eating.

This way I know if a certain food causes, slow rise, small rise, spike, fall, etc..
helenback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 11:51 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Marvin
Stats: WT=410/345/225?
WOE: Atkins induction, Bernstein
Start Date: Which time?
Hello, all, haven't been around for awhile, and back trying to make sure that I'm taking the best care of myself possible. So, I'm reading some older threads, This one interests me, because I'm just enough of a geek to like to see the science rather than just take someone else's word for what's best for me. So, my apologies for the bump.

If I understand PianoAl's post correctly, it looks like you only test one occurrence of eating these foods. I think that if you tested these exact same foods another time, you may not get the same results. As Aomiel stated, the margin of error for the tester along with what your body is doing right now re: insulin as well as glycogen dumps, etc., could affect the results. I think you would have to do several tests of each food to make sure that you are getting valid results. Then you could do whatever statistical measure you wanted....a straight average, or even throw out any outliers.
Old 11-21-2014, 12:59 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Ronnie51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post
Hello, all, haven't been around for awhile, and back trying to make sure that I'm taking the best care of myself possible. So, I'm reading some older threads, This one interests me, because I'm just enough of a geek to like to see the science rather than just take someone else's word for what's best for me. So, my apologies for the bump.

If I understand PianoAl's post correctly, it looks like you only test one occurrence of eating these foods. I think that if you tested these exact same foods another time, you may not get the same results. As Aomiel stated, the margin of error for the tester along with what your body is doing right now re: insulin as well as glycogen dumps, etc., could affect the results. I think you would have to do several tests of each food to make sure that you are getting valid results. Then you could do whatever statistical measure you wanted....a straight average, or even throw out any outliers.
This has been my experience. I have tested a food on more than one occasion and have found that I will test significantly higher or lower at different times. Also, I've tested my meter by taking one reading immediately after the other and the results have varied by as much as 10 points. So, one time testing of a certain food isn't really adequate as to whether it will spike you.
Ronnie51 is offline   Reply With Quote