LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-01-2014, 01:53 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SpikersMom
Stats: 180/157/140
WOE: Atkins and primal
Start Date: restart in November 2013
What brand of glucose meter do you use?

I'm curious what brand of glucose meter y'all use? I am not "officially" diabetic, according to my doctor. So I have to pay for all my supplies. The strips are expensive for the brand I have, so I've been buying them online. But I'm thinking of getting a Walmart or a Walgreens brand. So I'm curious what everyone else uses. Thanks!
SpikersMom is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 06-01-2014, 02:34 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: eastbruce
Stats: 202/187/120
WOE: JUDDD,Low Carb, High Fat
I use a One Touch Ultra 2 because it was free. The test strips are sooo expensive, so I buy them on line also.
eastbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 04:04 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Ronnie51
I use the Walgreen's True Result meter and I'm very happy with it. I've had it for two years and recently tested it against LabCorp results and it only varied by one point (86 vs 87), so it's very accurate. I buy the test strips at Amazon and can get them at a great price, $17 for 100 strips (two bottles of 50 each). I recommend this meter.
Ronnie51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 06:03 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Wow that True Result sounds good! I will check it out - thanks Ronnie!
Old 06-02-2014, 06:34 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpikersMom View Post
Wow that True Result sounds good! I will check it out - thanks Ronnie!
You're very welcome! I forgot to mention that there was a rebate on the cost of the meter, so the meter was actually free. I believe the rebate is still in effect.
Old 06-02-2014, 06:55 AM   #6
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Portia
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: May 1, 2014
I use Accu-check but I have been considering switching to a brand with less expensive strips - these are $30 for 50 strips which is insane.
Portia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 07:01 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

I have a Freestyle lite meter which I like cause it doesn't take a lot of blood for a reading. But 50 strips in my local Walmart costs $77!! I can buy them online - with shipping - for about $30. So this other meter Ronnie has sounds really good to me. I'm reading online reviews about it now.
Old 06-02-2014, 08:18 AM   #8
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Portia
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: May 1, 2014
Quote:
I have a Freestyle lite meter which I like cause it doesn't take a lot of blood for a reading. But 50 strips in my local Walmart costs $77!! I can buy them online - with shipping - for about $30. So this other meter Ronnie has sounds really good to me. I'm reading online reviews about it now.
Me too - reading Amazon reviews.
Portia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 12:48 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member

I'd be curious to know what the reviews say. I, for one, am very happy with the True Result meter. It uses just a tiny drop of blood too. And I forgot to mention that the $17 for 100 strips has free shipping as well. For me it's been a win win.
Old 06-02-2014, 01:08 PM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LCINFLA
I also got the Walgreens True Results, and I am waiting for the re-bate on the meter...I am glad to hear you can get the supplies from Amazon, I have good luck with them...

I am just checking before my next dr. appt... A1C was 5.9 and BG was 109...
it is under 100 now, and I want to keep in that way..

Lynn
65 years young
LCINFLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 01:31 PM   #11
Senior LCF Member

The reviews are mostly positive! I've ordered a meter and the strips, with Amazon prime shipping. Thank goodness the True Result won't need a lot of blood for the reading. Thank you Ronnie for sharing this with us!
Old 06-02-2014, 05:44 PM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
The reviews are mostly positive! I've ordered a meter and the strips, with Amazon prime shipping. Thank goodness the True Result won't need a lot of blood for the reading. Thank you Ronnie for sharing this with us!
You're so welcome! I read some reviews and the negative ones I saw had more to do with a problem receiving everything in the starter kit, not with the meter itself. I hope it works as well for you as it has for me.
Old 06-04-2014, 05:34 PM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Aomiel
Stats: 330/140/140 A1c 4.8
WOE: Bernstein (Maintenance)
Start Date: January 2010
After reading up on the meters and discovering that the more expensive meters are not generally any more accurate than the less expensive, I switched from one that had strips that cost $40 for 50 strips, to the Relion Prime. The meter was $10 and the strips are $9 for 50 strips. I've been using it for about 8 months and have been very happy with it. Bought it at Walmart.
Aomiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 09:43 AM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sarahatl
WOE: No Flour No Sugar
Start Date: May 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aomiel View Post
After reading up on the meters and discovering that the more expensive meters are not generally any more accurate than the less expensive, I switched from one that had strips that cost $40 for 50 strips, to the Relion Prime. The meter was $10 and the strips are $9 for 50 strips. I've been using it for about 8 months and have been very happy with it. Bought it at Walmart.
I have the Reilion Prime as well and bought it at Walmart. Just wondering though if the only place to get the test strips are at Walmart? Could you use another brand of test strip?
sarahatl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 12:04 PM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

Ronnie, Thanks for your advise about the True Result strips... I just ordered them on amazon...(no shipping charges)

Lynn
64 years young
Old 06-05-2014, 12:09 PM   #16
Major LCF Poster!

OOPS... should have been 65 years young... not 64...
can't get used to the 65...

Lynn
Old 06-05-2014, 01:38 PM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCINFLA View Post
Ronnie, Thanks for your advise about the True Result strips... I just ordered them on amazon...(no shipping charges)

Lynn
64 years young
You're welcome, Lynn! The price for the strips on Amazon is really great especially with the free shipping. Not all vendors offer free shipping, so it's good that you found one that does. And I know what you mean about having a hard time getting used to your age. That happened to me when I turned 60 (I'm a couple of years older than that now and I still can't get used to it).
Old 06-05-2014, 04:28 PM   #18
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Aomiel
Stats: 330/140/140 A1c 4.8
WOE: Bernstein (Maintenance)
Start Date: January 2010
Sara,
Usually the strips are specific to the meter.
Aomiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 02:01 PM   #19
Major LCF Poster!

Just wanted you all to know I ordered the True Results strips yesterday on Amazon.. NO shipping charges.. they arrived today (one day later) UPS...

Good service or what...

Lynn
Old 06-06-2014, 02:43 PM   #20
Senior LCF Member

I also got them in one day. Amazing.
Old 06-10-2014, 07:26 PM   #21
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Jakelilydad
WOE: low carbs
Start Date: Feb 2012
I, too, cast my vote for the TrueResult meter. I've been using it for over 2 years now, and am very happy with it. Used to get my strips from Walgreens, which had a program where they only charged you $15 for 100 strips, but then had to change my insurance company. The new company wanted me to get another brand of meter, and the strips were going to be $30 for 100 after meeting my deductable (I think over $80 until then). I am staying with the TrueResult meter, and, like others, I now buy my strips on Amazon!
Jakelilydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 06:37 AM   #22
Senior LCF Member

Just FYI, the amazon price of $17 with free shipping for the True Result test strips are without insurance.
Old 06-21-2014, 02:24 PM   #23
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SlowMovingWoman
WOE: Lower carbs, smarter carbs & watch how much I eat
Start Date: Have lost 19 pounds from my highest weight
The Contour by Bayer is the one I use the most. I have two of them and now and then test them against each other. They are usually within 6 or 7 points of each other so I think I am getting a fairly accurate count. I also have a Relion Prime I bought as a back up. It runs about 10 to 12 points higher than the Contour but since it does this consistantly it is a help in getting an accurate count. The Contour strip are high but I buy them often off ebay pretty cheap or from
a internet site that has 100 for about fifty dollars. The Relion Prime strips are pretty good for the price of nine dollars for fifty. I may try the Walgreens one, it sounds like a good deal.
SlowMovingWoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 08:38 AM   #24
Senior LCF Member

I did get a True Results meter and stocked up on the test strips (thank you Amazon). Now I test many times during the day!
Old 06-22-2014, 08:44 AM   #25
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Meme
WOE: Atkins-2002 New Diet Revolution
So the strips are sold separately? I was wondering since I don't know anyone who does this. I bought one many months ago and after I opened it at home, I didn't know how to use it and didn't see any strips. I had planned to go back and ask or return it but it's still sitting in wait.
Meme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 04:12 AM   #26
Senior LCF Member

Hi Meme - yes, you have to purchase the strips separately! The meters are fairly cheap, but the strips are not! I have found the strips to be cheaper by purchasing them online through Amazon. I have not been diagnosed with diabetes and don't have any prescriptions for any of the supplies, so I have to pay for everything myself. I know I have diabetes but my labs are not "bad enough" yet for my doctor to say so. Frankly I don't want them to get "bad enough"!!

I remember going to my local Walmart last fall and just staring at all the diabetic supplies. It was overwhelming!!
Old 06-24-2014, 06:50 AM   #27
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Hi Meme - yes, you have to purchase the strips separately! The meters are fairly cheap, but the strips are not! I have found the strips to be cheaper by purchasing them online through Amazon. I have not been diagnosed with diabetes and don't have any prescriptions for any of the supplies, so I have to pay for everything myself. I know I have diabetes but my labs are not "bad enough" yet for my doctor to say so. Frankly I don't want them to get "bad enough"!!

I remember going to my local Walmart last fall and just staring at all the diabetic supplies. It was overwhelming!!
Nan, may I ask what your numbers are (fasting and A1c)? My fasting was 87 but my A1c was 6, so my doctor started me on 500 mg Metformin ER last month. She looked at my chart of numbers over the previous 3 months and said she didn't see anything really out of the ordinary, but due to my family history (brother and maternal grandmother), she prescribed the Metformin. My fasting has come down to 78 and my post meal high numbers have come down too. I eat lower carb and have cut out a lot of the foods I used to eat regularly, like pasta.
Old 06-24-2014, 10:35 AM   #28
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: synger
Stats: Start: 310 Current: 259
WOE: Calorie and carb counting, IR Diet framework
Start Date: IR/PCOS: Dx pre-diabetic 3/2010
I bought a Relion from Walmart when I was first dx as pre-Diabetic. After a few months, my doc had me take a Diabetes class, and part of it was how to use and read your meter, so she prescribed me a One-Touch Ultra.

I like both of them.
synger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 06:30 PM   #29
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie51 View Post
Nan, may I ask what your numbers are (fasting and A1c)? My fasting was 87 but my A1c was 6, so my doctor started me on 500 mg Metformin ER last month. She looked at my chart of numbers over the previous 3 months and said she didn't see anything really out of the ordinary, but due to my family history (brother and maternal grandmother), she prescribed the Metformin. My fasting has come down to 78 and my post meal high numbers have come down too. I eat lower carb and have cut out a lot of the foods I used to eat regularly, like pasta.
Sure Ronnie! My fasting was 116 and the A1C was 5.8. Doc was much more excited about one of my liver enzymes. I had more blood work and a liver ultrasound for a diagnosis of mild fatty liver. He did not ask me to come in for more follow up, but I'm calling them this week to make another appointment. I want a follow-up! These tests were in February, and I've lost about 10 pounds since then.
Old 06-25-2014, 07:00 AM   #30
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Sure Ronnie! My fasting was 116 and the A1C was 5.8. Doc was much more excited about one of my liver enzymes. I had more blood work and a liver ultrasound for a diagnosis of mild fatty liver. He did not ask me to come in for more follow up, but I'm calling them this week to make another appointment. I want a follow-up! These tests were in February, and I've lost about 10 pounds since then.
My doctor wouldn't have looked twice at your A1c but he would've raised an eyebrow at the 116. Just losing the weight may make a big difference in your numbers. My husband had elevated liver enzymes for over a year (all were elevated at one time), and after some tests the doctor attributed it to metabolic syndrome. But DH finally agreed to take milk thistle and after taking it for just 2-1/2 weeks his blood test showed all normal liver enzymes with only one still elevated (GGT, which is somewhat non specific...a lot of doctors don't even test it), but it had come down a lot. I read a lot of good things about milk thistle for the health of your liver; Dr. Andrew Weil also recommends it. It's great that you're being so proactive, Nan!