Old 06-26-2014, 04:47 PM   #31
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SpikersMom
Stats: 180/157/140
WOE: Atkins and primal
Start Date: restart in November 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie51 View Post
My doctor wouldn't have looked twice at your A1c but he would've raised an eyebrow at the 116. Just losing the weight may make a big difference in your numbers. My husband had elevated liver enzymes for over a year (all were elevated at one time), and after some tests the doctor attributed it to metabolic syndrome. But DH finally agreed to take milk thistle and after taking it for just 2-1/2 weeks his blood test showed all normal liver enzymes with only one still elevated (GGT, which is somewhat non specific...a lot of doctors don't even test it), but it had come down a lot. I read a lot of good things about milk thistle for the health of your liver; Dr. Andrew Weil also recommends it. It's great that you're being so proactive, Nan!
Thanks Ronnie! I'm trying. And thanks for the milk thistle tip. I'm off to research more!
SpikersMom is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 06-28-2014, 10:10 AM   #32
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Ronnie51
Nan, please post when you have another blood test. I'm hoping for good news :-).
Ronnie51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 12:35 PM   #33
Senior LCF Member

Also, Nan, how do you like the True Result meter? I hope you like it as much as I do mine.
Old 06-30-2014, 02:50 PM   #34
I love steak!

Gallery: TypeONegative
Stats: 370ish/313 on 6-30-14 :'(/199
One touch ultra mini cause that's what my insurance pays for. It's eh, ok. I do love the delica lancets that you can get with it. They are extra fine 33 gauge and pretty painless. I've been through many meters over the years. I think the one I liked the best used those prefilled little containers of strips, contained like 17 each I think and they shot out and you didn't have to put the strip in yourself. Lazy I know but I liked it. :P
TypeONegative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 03:13 PM   #35
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: MrsClaus
Stats: 287/249.8/165 5'10" 45yrs old
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Dec 2010 Restarted July 1, 2014
Since I am not diabetic insurance does not pay for mine. I use the Relion from Wal-Mart.
MrsClaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 03:53 PM   #36
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsClaus View Post
Since I am not diabetic insurance does not pay for mine. I use the Relion from Wal-Mart.
I'm not diabetic either (yet). I've heard good things about the Relion. But I do love the True Result from Walgreens. They rebate the cost of the meter, and you can buy 100 strips at Amazon for $16 with free shipping. Great deal. And on top of that, you just need a tiny drop of blood.
Old 07-02-2014, 03:49 PM   #37
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: krittermom
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: January 9th, 2012
I haven't been diagnosed, but I think I am diabetic. At the very least, I'm pre. I'm following Dr. Bernstein's hoping to control it on my own. Other than my fasting, my numbers look great when I follow his plan. After about 2 weeks, my fasting has dropped significantly, but it's still high at 125. Hoping that it will get back to normal if I continue to eat right, lose weight and exercise.

Anyway, I've been using the OneTouch Ultra 2 which I bought for my diabetic dog a few years ago. Now I'm testing myself many times a day and the cost of the strips is ridiculous, so I took the advice here and picked up a True Results meter.

As soon as I got home I tested using both meters and got identical results!

Thanks to everyone who recommended this meter. Now I won't hear the cash register sound going off in my head every time I test
krittermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 05:18 PM   #38
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LCINFLA
Thanks to everyone on this site, I got a True Result meter, yesterday I got the total refund, and the strips from Amazon... No cost for shipping.....
You all have been such a good help..

Ronnie51 is so knowledgeable...and you all have been so helpful.

Lynn

65 years young
LCINFLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 05:44 PM   #39
Senior LCF Member

I'm so glad you're happy with the True Result meter. And thank you, Lynn, for your very kind compliment.
Old 07-04-2014, 11:31 AM   #40
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Portia
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: May 1, 2014
How do you like it, Lynn? Thinking of making the switch.
Portia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 12:14 PM   #41
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LCINFLA
The true result was easy to use for a first timer....

and getting the refund made it FREE...

Lynn
LCINFLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 12:52 PM   #42
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Also, Nan, how do you like the True Result meter? I hope you like it as much as I do mine.
I love the meter!! I'm so glad all of us learned about it! I stocked up on strips from Amazon, and learning what does and does not work for me! I just did one of the Walmart mail off AC1 tests - hope to have results back next week.

Thank you again Ronnie!

Everyone have a safe and happy Fourth!!
Old 07-04-2014, 06:36 PM   #43
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpikersMom View Post
I love the meter!! I'm so glad all of us learned about it! I stocked up on strips from Amazon, and learning what does and does not work for me! I just did one of the Walmart mail off AC1 tests - hope to have results back next week.

Thank you again Ronnie!

Old 07-13-2014, 01:28 PM   #44
Blabbermouth!!!

I'm ordering it today!
Old 07-16-2014, 12:48 PM   #45
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
Quote:

Thank you again Ronnie!

Good luck with the test, but don't count on it as reliable.
I did their allergy test and it came back no allergies, and I have pollen and dust allergies like crazy and it tested negative for those (and I had an active allergy going on, even stopped taking allegra for a week before doing the blood sample).
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 05:53 PM   #46
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dottie View Post
Good luck with the test, but don't count on it as reliable.
I did their allergy test and it came back no allergies, and I have pollen and dust allergies like crazy and it tested negative for those (and I had an active allergy going on, even stopped taking allegra for a week before doing the blood sample).
Oh that's not good Dottie! I guess I need a couple of these tests under my belt before I decide on their reliability!! Well, my result was 6.2 - which I was not happy with! But I'm testing more and learning. Next one will be better.

I also ordered Nature's Way Blood Sugar with Gymnema pills from Netrition. I'm excited about trying these. I have lost about 22 pounds in the last year! 15 of those since January! I am a work in progress.

Last edited by SpikersMom; 07-17-2014 at 05:54 PM.. Reason: spelled gymnema wrong!
Old 07-18-2014, 07:07 AM   #47
Blabbermouth!!!

Guys how are you finding the accuracy of the True Result?
Old 07-18-2014, 06:25 PM   #48
Senior LCF Member

I tested my BG right before my blood test at the doctor's office. I tested at 86 with my True Result meter and 87 from the lab. I'd say that's pretty darn accurate.
Old 07-20-2014, 06:55 AM   #49
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: GettingToGoal
Stats: 330/330/170
WOE: THM / Low Carb
Start Date: October 2014
My son has used the Contour brand since his diagnosis in March 2012. Right now he's using the Contour Next.
GettingToGoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 06:13 AM   #50
Blabbermouth!!!

My true test is measuring 50 below my accucheck. I did a control test etc.
Old 07-21-2014, 03:09 PM   #51
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Portia View Post
My true test is measuring 50 below my accucheck. I did a control test etc.
Wow, that's quite a difference. Have you had a blood test at your doctor's office recently to compare them to? If the True Result is off, I would call the manufacturer to discuss it with them. They may send you a new one.
Old 07-22-2014, 10:27 AM   #52
Blabbermouth!!!

I have compared it to 2 separate meters. It's definitely off, b/c I did check my old Accucheck against the Dr. blood test and it was spot on.

Returning it through Amazon - scary!
Old 07-23-2014, 11:41 AM   #53
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Portia View Post
I have compared it to 2 separate meters. It's definitely off, b/c I did check my old Accucheck against the Dr. blood test and it was spot on.

Returning it through Amazon - scary!
It couldn't hurt to call Nipro, the manufacturer. I would think that they'd send you a new meter free of charge especially since they rebate the cost in the first place.
Old 07-25-2014, 12:04 PM   #54
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
It couldn't hurt to call Nipro, the manufacturer. I would think that they'd send you a new meter free of charge especially since they rebate the cost in the first place.
Thanks. I don't think I would be comfortable using it going forward but I will think it over.
Old 07-28-2014, 05:43 PM   #55
Senior LCF Member

Hi Portia I'm sorry to hear about your meter! I was wondering if it could be the current bottle of strips you have? Here is my experience: I opened a new bottle this weekend, and suddenly all my readings are 10, 15 or more points lower than what I'm used to. I'm sure it's this particular batch of strips. I'll go ahead and use them but I'm adding 10 points to my numbers. I don't have any testing solution so I don't "know" for sure, but it's my educated guess!
Old 07-29-2014, 07:36 AM   #56
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Hi Portia I'm sorry to hear about your meter! I was wondering if it could be the current bottle of strips you have? Here is my experience: I opened a new bottle this weekend, and suddenly all my readings are 10, 15 or more points lower than what I'm used to. I'm sure it's this particular batch of strips. I'll go ahead and use them but I'm adding 10 points to my numbers. I don't have any testing solution so I don't "know" for sure, but it's my educated guess!
Nipro will send you a bottle of control solution for free. All you have to do is call their customer service line. Is it possible your lower carb eating has kicked in and that's why you have lower numbers? (that would be nice )

I just had a blood test at my doctor's office this morning. Before I left, I tested with my TrueResult meter (81) so I'll know in a few days if it's accurate. Will post here when I get the lab results.
Old 08-01-2014, 02:12 PM   #57
Senior LCF Member

Hmmm...I got my blood test results. The last time I compared my meter, I was within one point of the lab. This time, the lab tested me 10 points higher than my meter. I was hoping it would be more accurate. It could be the strips as I don't have a control solution to test them. I may call Nipro for a bottle of control solution, but the meter was within the 20% + or - accuracy range. I also can do what SpikersMom is doing and just add 10 points to my results.
Old 08-12-2014, 04:59 AM   #58
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Nipro will send you a bottle of control solution for free. All you have to do is call their customer service line. Is it possible your lower carb eating has kicked in and that's why you have lower numbers? (that would be nice )

I just had a blood test at my doctor's office this morning. Before I left, I tested with my TrueResult meter (81) so I'll know in a few days if it's accurate. Will post here when I get the lab results.
I used the control solution, which is how I determined the issue is not the strips. And I just checked my other meter in July so I have reason to think its accurate vs the true result. The company did offer a refund or replacement.
Old 08-12-2014, 07:03 AM   #59
Senior LCF Member

I'm glad Nipro offered to refund your cost. That statement I made about the control solution was actually towards SpikersMom as she mentioned in her post that she didn't have any.
Old 08-22-2014, 05:07 PM   #60
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lazy girl
May I blow off some steam? I recently retired, causing me to switch to another insurance company. Over the past three years, I've had very good results with the Freestyle and Accu-Chek meters and have even found them to be accurate when using a drop of blood from a lab blood-draw. I had switched from Freestyle to Accu-Chek only because the A-C had software available to use on my computer. Wellll, my wonderful new insurance company changed me to the One-Touch Ultra 2 which is an antiquated type and very inaccurate. I used too much insulin today due to this inaccuracy and had to use glucose tablets to avoid a hypoglycemic episode. How infuriating! A letter has been written to the insurance company requesting for the A-C strips. I'll see what happens.
Thanks for letting me rant!

The Walmart meter is a much better model, but isn't covered by any insurance I've ever had.
lazy girl is online now   Reply With Quote