Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > Diabetes
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-09-2014, 10:17 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Ronnie51
About to join the Metformin club-Help please!

So, despite a year of lower carbing (I still eat carbs in the form of ThinSlim low carb/high fiber bread, green veggies, Extend low glygemic snacks, Atkins bars, Glucerna snacks), my A1c has crept up to 6. My doctor said yes to Metformin. I'm a little nervous because of the known possible side effects, but optimistic that it will keep me from developing full blown diabetes. I'm not sure what dose he'll start me at (my appointment is Wednesday), but I'd appreciate any pointers from those taking Metformin. A few questions:

1. Did you start taking it after being diagnosed with diabetes or with pre-diabetes (insulin resistance)?

2. How long did it take to get over any gastrointestinal issues?

3. What dose do you take and do you take it twice per day or all at once?

4. How much has it helped your numbers?

5. How long did it take for your numbers to start going down?

Thank you, everyone! I had a feeling this day would come based on my family history.
Ronnie51 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-09-2014, 02:36 PM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: shunsweets
Stats: maintenance
WOE: Bernstein
Start Date: May 2003
Hi Ronnie. I started taking met when I was diagnosed with diabetes. I take the extended release version which I highly recommend as I had no GI issues. I started at 500 mg and rapidly worked up to 2000mg. I take one 1000mg ER in the morning and another at bedtime. Met didn't make a huge difference in my bg numbers maybe 15 points on average and it took about 2 weeks after hitting the max dose for that to become apparent. A very low carb diet made a big difference in my bgs.

Good luck and welcome to the club.
Old 05-09-2014, 02:49 PM   #3
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: oldtimer
That was 11-12 years ago. I use extended release since I sometimes forgot to take the second dose. I think it is superior because it provides a smooth slow release. I suggest you ask for it. It might help with the side effects.

The terrible side effects are a bonus and you need to take advantage of this while you can. I lost 30 lbs in 2-3 months and is probably the only reason I don't need insulin now. If you start losing weight your blood chemistry will change. Your body is losing weight so warning bells go off. Your type II is all about insulin resistance it does not matter if it is diabetes or pre-diabetes. Your resistance drops in an effort to keep your weight on. (I guess) Your resistance will drop. The only difference between diabetes and pre-diabetes is with pre your pancreas is pretty much undamaged if you continue to be naughty that will change and you will need to take insulin if you damage it too much. As you lose weight your sugar levels will drop.

GOT ME! This is all up to you. Lose the weight now while you are sick with metformin or not and let this plague eat you up.

Chances are if you lose some weight and are moderatly careful you will avoid insulin your entire life.

2 more huge tips
1) No more sweet alcoholic drinks!
2) Learn about GI - if you eat stach eat low GI starch check out Mendosa.com for GI and satisfy information. Low GI stach tastes and eats like high GI without stressing your system. BE SMART!

Lastly and A1c of 6 means your pancrease is fine. I was only that low during the first 6 months mostly due to the weight loss. They would even give you medicine until your A1c was above 7. Things have sure changed! There are plenty on this board that have been above 15!
oldtimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 07:08 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Thank you both for your replies. I was actually surprised that my A1c was so high as my meter said my 30 day average is 111, which is more like an A1c of 5.7. I guess my sugar was spiking when I wasn't testing. On the same blood test, my fasting glucose was 86. Oldtimer, the problem is, I really don't want to...or can afford to....lose weight. I weigh 108 pounds dripping wet. At age 62, getting too thin will make me look frail and I don't want that. I just hope I don't have type 1.5 since I have autoimmune thyroiditis (silent thyroiditis), which can raise my risk. I will talk to my doctor about the extended release Metformin, thank you both for the tip!
Old 05-10-2014, 09:30 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Chocolate Rose
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: February 2012
I was put on generic metformin when I was diagnosed. Horrendous debilitating GI issues. Switched to ER, horrendous debilitating GI issues. Stuck with it for 14 months, but couldn't go anywhere or do anything as I had no control and didn't know when it would hit. Work was a nightmare. I didn't want to believe it was the met. Kept thinking it was something in my diet as I started LCHF at the same time. But, nothing I did helped and I wasn't willing to give up LCHF. Stopped the met and issues stopped, but new meds caused me to gain 30 pounds in just a couple of months. YIKES. Went to an endocrinologist who immediately took me off the weight gaining meds and talked me into trying brand name metformin. Had just a couple of issues at first, but am doing fine with it. So, if you have issues with met, try the brand name rather than the generic.
My numbers were scary high when I was diagnosed. They came down much slower than I had hoped. I thought that by giving up ALL carbs I'd be in the normal range within just a couple of weeks. I was pretty ignorant of everything at the beginning. But, they did come down. Right now, I'm taking 1500mg a day, 1000mg at night and 500mg in the morning. But, start slow and let your body adjust. If it doesn't adjust, don't stick with it for as long as I did.
Chocolate Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 02:27 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chocolate Rose View Post
I was put on generic metformin when I was diagnosed. Horrendous debilitating GI issues. Switched to ER, horrendous debilitating GI issues. Stuck with it for 14 months, but couldn't go anywhere or do anything as I had no control and didn't know when it would hit. Work was a nightmare. I didn't want to believe it was the met. Kept thinking it was something in my diet as I started LCHF at the same time. But, nothing I did helped and I wasn't willing to give up LCHF. Stopped the met and issues stopped, but new meds caused me to gain 30 pounds in just a couple of months. YIKES. Went to an endocrinologist who immediately took me off the weight gaining meds and talked me into trying brand name metformin. Had just a couple of issues at first, but am doing fine with it. So, if you have issues with met, try the brand name rather than the generic.
My numbers were scary high when I was diagnosed. They came down much slower than I had hoped. I thought that by giving up ALL carbs I'd be in the normal range within just a couple of weeks. I was pretty ignorant of everything at the beginning. But, they did come down. Right now, I'm taking 1500mg a day, 1000mg at night and 500mg in the morning. But, start slow and let your body adjust. If it doesn't adjust, don't stick with it for as long as I did.
What a terrible experience you had! I'm sorry you had to go through that. My husband also had gastro issues on the generic, but, fortunately, he switched to another generic and it worked itself out. You know, I just checked my blood sugar randomly (the last time I ate was a light meal around 2 hours ago), and the result was 83. I don't understand why my A1c is so high! My fasting blood test that the doctor took was 86. So, I must be spiking really bad when I'm not testing; either that or my A1c result is just plain wrong. I'm going to bring my meter with me when I go to the doctor and show him my numbers over the past couple of months. Maybe he'll wait before putting me on Metformin. Thank you again; I'm glad you're doing better.
Old 05-11-2014, 08:40 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

So, we had company last night and we ordered pizza (thin crust!) which I haven't eaten in over a year. So for the sake of science ( ), I ate one slice and tested my BG an hour later. Yikes....it was 170! No question I'm glucose intolerant. I know that the fat in pizza can keep your BG higher longer, and that was certainly the case. Two hours after the pizza, my BG was still 170. Ugh. So I tested again at 3 hours....it was 143. Then I went to bed. This morning after a low carb breakfast, my BG was 88. So, my problem is obviously with carbs. Just a matter of time, so it's good that I'm starting Metformin now. Just nervous about the possible side effects.
Old 05-11-2014, 12:28 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Jrw85705
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie51 View Post
So, we had company last night and we ordered pizza (thin crust!) which I haven't eaten in over a year. So for the sake of science ( ), I ate one slice and tested my BG an hour later. Yikes....it was 170! No question I'm glucose intolerant. I know that the fat in pizza can keep your BG higher longer, and that was certainly the case. Two hours after the pizza, my BG was still 170. Ugh. So I tested again at 3 hours....it was 143. Then I went to bed. This morning after a low carb breakfast, my BG was 88. So, my problem is obviously with carbs. Just a matter of time, so it's good that I'm starting Metformin now. Just nervous about the possible side effects.
Ronnie51, I can so relate to your experiment. I did mine with one breadstick from Olive Garden. Before I ate it I was mid 80s, 1 hour – 160, 2 hours 140 and 4 hours 120. I guess I need to be reminded from time to time that wheat carbs are not good for me.

Regarding metformin, I have been on it for years along with Byetta at one time and then Victoza. The longer I was on low carb (I have followed Dr. Bernstein’s method closely for 3 ˝ years now) my Dr. kept having me decrease my meds until I was off all of them, when my A1c hit 4.8.

Over a year of no meds, my A1c has crept up a couple of points each time until it was 5.7. At that time I put myself back on 500mg of metformin ER, and my Dr. agreed with my decision. My last A1c was 5.2. I can live with a 5.2 if it means the only medicine I need is one metformin a day, which I take with my largest meal.

Now I have never had a problem with metformin but Dr. Bernstein says he prefer his patients be on the non-generic form and use the extended release if they have gastro problems. And an extra benefit is my cardiologist says there have been some studies that show metformin may be helpful for cardio patients, of which I’m one.
Denis Waitley
Jrw85705 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 12:47 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Hi Ralph, thank you for your input. When I see my doctor on Wednesday, I'll ask her about the Metformin ER. I have heard the brand name Metformin is easier on your stomach, but even with insurance, it's just too expensive. So, I'll start with the generic and see what happens. My husband is on generic Metformin (for insulin resistance), and he had digestive issues at first. Then our doctor sent the prescription to another pharmacy that uses another manufacturer, and that Metformin seemed to be easier on my husband's stomach. It's great that you're only on 500mg and it works so well for you (although, I realize it's an effort on your part with the low carbing). I've always heard that Metformin isn't really effective until at least 1000 or even 1500 mgs. I hope I can do as well as you on 500 mg (I will continue to keep my carbs lower as well). I don't like the idea of going on another medicine . But I do need help, as watching my diet isn't working. I'm so frustrated that I cut out my beloved cereal, pasta, cheesecake, crackers, Chinese food (egg rolls, sesame chicken w/white rice), potatoes, bread, and my A1c has still climbed to 6. I have a twin sister (fraternal) who pretty much eats whatever she wants, and her A1c is 5.8 and she doesn't exercise and weighs 20 lbs more than me. If I ate whatever I wanted, even though I watch my weight and exercise, I'm afraid my A1c would be...never mind, I don't want to think about it. Okay, I'll stop feeling sorry for myself now. I guess we're all in the same boat. And things can be a lot worse, right?
Old 05-11-2014, 01:10 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Jrw85705
One piece of advice my Dr. gave me, if I were to have any gastro problems, was to take the metformin mid-meal. When I was on a larger dosage it was with each meal and once I got down to 500mg I take it with my largest meal. He also told me by taking it with a meal I would get the most benefit from it and the least possible side effects.
Jrw85705 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 03:35 PM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Janknitz
Stats: 254/184/150
WOE: Low Carb High Fat, Primal
Start Date: June 16, 2011
I've been on Met for many years for PCOS, insulin resistance, pre-diabetes. Here are my suggestions:

1. Yes, absolutely ask for the ER version.
2. Start SLOWLY! 500 mg, once a day. It sometimes takes a week or two for the GI side effects to show up, so don't assume you're going to sail through. Wait a good two weeks the first time to increase your dose.
3. ALWAYS take Met with meals, and the suggestion to take it mid-meal is a good one.
4. Different people seem to react to different foods with Met. Carbs give me the Met runs, others say different foods trigger it for them.
5. If you don't tolerate one brand of Met, try another. My HMO supplies only Teva brand generic, but it seems to work really well for me. If I had to try another brand, I'd have to pay for it myself, but it's cheap--$3 to $4 at Walmart, Rite Aid, Costco.

If you hear rumbling in your stomach, feel crampy, get to a toilet FAST. Don't think you can pass a little gas til you get there, you may have an unpleasant surprise. Run, don't walk to the nearest bathroom!

It gets better, truly it does. But it's stunningly awful at first.

I'm going to start my 13 year old daughter on Met this summer, she's thin but highly insulin resistant from the PCOS she unfortunately inherited from me. We are waiting until after school and sleep away camp are done so she can work it out at home without social pressures. Not a fun thing for a 13 year old or anyone else to go through.

Met is one of the oldest diabetes drugs, and has a long, safe history. They think it may even be protective against cancer. There are questions about the safety of newer diabetes drugs, so you owe it to yourself to do everything possible to try to be able to tolerate Met if you have to be on medications.
Janknitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 03:40 PM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Chocolate Rose
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: February 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janknitz View Post

If you hear rumbling in your stomach, feel crampy, get to a toilet FAST. Don't think you can pass a little gas til you get there, you may have an unpleasant surprise. Run, don't walk to the nearest bathroom!
This. Absolutely. Wish I had been given this advice. Also, if you're out, make sure you know where the nearest bathroom is and don't go too far from it. Like 10 steps away, max.
Chocolate Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 05:09 PM   #13
Senior LCF Member

I certainly appreciate this great advice, thank you (although it's freaking me out a little too ). But I am grateful to be able to get help from people who like you guys who've been there. I'm currently in a good mood because we went out to dinner tonight, and my BG after an hour (when it's usually my highest) was 114. I'm happy with that (of course, it was a low carb dinner: salad w/balsamic, roasted spaghetti squash, grilled salmon). I know what would happen if I had eaten a cheeseburger on a roll with French fries
Old 05-12-2014, 08:23 AM   #14
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: kristina
Stats: 250/238.5/140
WOE: Weight Watchers online along with Atkins
Start Date: September 12 2014
my husband has type 2. He's been on Metformin for years.

his A1c is never below 7.5

they've even mentioned insulin, as the BS's won't go low enough.
He doesn't have any side effects from it.
kristina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 08:27 AM   #15
Junior LCF Member

Ronnie you lucky you were diagnosed so early. A good fasting BS for me is 140 and my A1c is about 7 and my DRs are happy with that. I believe you need to be much higher than that for issues. I have discovered that when I am even a little above 7 my fasting BS flucuates greatly it can be even in the low 200s or be close to 140. What I believe is happening is I am red-lining my pancreas and if I keep that up I will start lose function. Eating less carbs, eating more resistant starch and excersise has done wonders for me. I saw a 115 fasting bood sugar this morning. I have not see anything that low in a decade. I even had a modest side of potatoes last night (not retrograded) but they were the gold potatoes with a medium high GI. Look into GI and mendosa.com. You can cut your risk without giving up foods you like. It is all about reducing blood sugar spikes that hurt your pancreas. You have already done some damage to become even a prediabetic. You are still years of constant abuse before you would be as bad as I when I was diagnosed. I do not think I will ever be on insulin so don't worry at all about your condition. However, do take action. 10+ years ago you would be concidered bairly pre diebetic A1c 6 -7. Do continue to take blood sugar readings and learn what your body can tollerate. Do learn about GI and carb counting. Do excersise more and learn about resistant starch. Without much sacrifice you will never be as bad as I am.

You are far from the danger zone so lighten up and enjoy life!

Last edited by oldtimer; 05-12-2014 at 08:32 AM..
Old 05-12-2014, 10:20 AM   #16
Senior LCF Member

I wish I could lighten up. I'm just very confused about what's going on with my body. I just took a random BG reading (four hours after eating a light Atkins bar breakfast) and it's 79. How can my fasting/random numbers be so good and my post meal numbers (sometimes) so bad?
Old 05-12-2014, 05:45 PM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SpikersMom
Stats: 180/157/140
WOE: Atkins and primal
Start Date: restart in November 2013
Ronnie is it possible the lab is having problems? Why don't you get another AC1 test with a different lab - just to double check?? Or get a home kit? Sure can't hurt anything.
SpikersMom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 06:07 PM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpikersMom View Post
Ronnie is it possible the lab is having problems? Why don't you get another AC1 test with a different lab - just to double check?? Or get a home kit? Sure can't hurt anything.
That's a very good suggestion, thank you, SpikersMom. As a matter of fact, the MinuteClinics in some CVS stores are offering free A1c tests. They're the instant-results-prick-your-finger kits, but it would be interesting to see how it compares to the results I got from the lab. I need to get it done before Wednesday (my doctor's appointment), and tomorrow I'm taking my Mom to her eye doctor (she had cataract surgery today). But I think I'll be able to go later in the day. If I'm able to make it there tomorrow, I'll post my results.
Old 05-12-2014, 08:00 PM   #19
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Janknitz
Stats: 254/184/150
WOE: Low Carb High Fat, Primal
Start Date: June 16, 2011
Quote:
I wish I could lighten up. I'm just very confused about what's going on with my body. I just took a random BG reading (four hours after eating a light Atkins bar breakfast) and it's 79. How can my fasting/random numbers be so good and my post meal numbers (sometimes) so bad?
Confused, why do you think that post meal number is so bad? NORMAL blood sugar is in the low to mid 80's when fasting or that long after a meal. I don't see anything wrong with 79, as long as you weren't having hypoglycemia symptoms. Below 70 is hypoglycemia (unless you are high in ketones, some people tolerate much lower BG's when their ketones are high).

I'd be more interested in what your blood glucose was doing 1 and 2 hours after that Atkins bar. The 4 hour post meal test just tells us you were in a good spot before the next meal.
Janknitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 08:13 AM   #20
Senior LCF Member

I went back over my chart and looked at the numbers after eating Atkins bars (my typical breakfast with a handful of pistachios). I don't have the pre breakfast numbers, but the majority of the time, an hour after eating that my BG varies between 103 to 109. Obviously, I'm getting higher post meal readings when I'm not testing for my A1c to go to 6.0. I'm fully aware that I have impaired glucose intolerance and I've decided that I'm not going to try to deny it anymore. It's in my family, I'm over 60, I'm getting it too. I waver back and forth between not wanting to go on Metformin to thinking, "why not? It may prevent full blown diabetes". And the second option makes more sense. I guess what really convinced me was the high reading after eating a slice of pizza (which I haven't eaten in over a year), and my BG went up to 170 and stayed there for 2 hours. I always thought since I exercise regularly, weigh 108 lbs, and have cut out the carbs and processed food that I used to eat, that I can't have glucose intolerance. But the numbers don't lie. Tomorrow I see the doctor and we discuss Metformin.
Old 05-13-2014, 07:33 PM   #21
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janknitz View Post
Confused, why do you think that post meal number is so bad? NORMAL blood sugar is in the low to mid 80's when fasting or that long after a meal. I don't see anything wrong with 79, as long as you weren't having hypoglycemia symptoms. Below 70 is hypoglycemia (unless you are high in ketones, some people tolerate much lower BG's when their ketones are high).

I'd be more interested in what your blood glucose was doing 1 and 2 hours after that Atkins bar. The 4 hour post meal test just tells us you were in a good spot before the next meal.
I'm not saying that 79 is a bad post meal number because I don't consider it post meal; I'm saying it's a good random number. I was wondering how my my random and fasting numbers can be so good while my one hour post meals numbers can be so bad. And then I answered my question in my next post by saying that I obviously have impaired glucose tolerance, which would explain it. And that is why I need help in the form of Metformin since cutting carbs didn't do it.
Old 05-15-2014, 08:27 AM   #22
Senior LCF Member

Saw the doctor yesterday and showed her my BG chart for the last 3 months. I pointed out the post slice of pizza spike of 170 an hour later, 170 two hours later, and finally starting to drop three hours later to 146. Her response was that she saw nothing out of the ordinary, even with the pizza numbers (I don't agree there). But with an A1c of 6,"something is brewing", she said. So, I will start 500 mg of Metformin ER tonight and will retest my A1c in 3 months.
Old 05-21-2014, 07:27 AM   #23
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Aomiel
Stats: 330/140/140 A1c 4.8
WOE: Bernstein (Maintenance)
Start Date: January 2010
Ronnie,
Just keep in mind that Metformin does not directly lower your BG like insulin would. What it does is to make your cells more insulin sensitive.

I've been doing a lot of reading on this because I know people who've been on Metformin for years and the dose keeps getting stronger. To me, it says that they probably need something to go along with the Metformin because it obviously is not working well at making them more insulin sensitive.

I went from Insulin (quit taking it after 3 weeks on Dr. BErnstein's plan) and have never had to take Metformin. I believe this is because he not only advocates low carb, but specific carbs (only green vegie types) and has a few other protocols that are designed specifically to reverse the insulin resistance...which most low carb plans don't deal with.
Aomiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 08:37 AM   #24
Junior LCF Member

That is good news! Your Dr. is being pro-active to keep you healthy. I like your Dr’s actions. Going on metformin is driving home you have a problem. You are more likely to change your life style. For many that process takes years. It is best to start to be careful before there really is a problem but only a true risk. That is what you are a real risk not a problem. I think you are overly nervous but I do not want you to to slacken your efforts to improve your condition.

500 mg of metformin will not do the same as 2000 but your BS is good so do not be so concerned. There are plenty of debates, which is safer BS of 5.x or 6.x. At 6.0 you are in the middle. That is a very safe place to be. You need to figure out how to reduce your insulin resistance. Type II Diabetis is two-fold, 1 you have more insulin resistance than a normal person 2, damagingly high BS spikes may have damaged your pancreas or you have been ‘red-lining’ your pancreas. We do not know what causes the pancreas to fail but it will eventually. What you want to do is reduce your insulin resistance. Your fat causes most of your insulin resistance. Additional muscle can ‘suck up’ glycogen for reserve energy reducing insulin resistance. You can’t lose weight, which is by far the easiest long term natural solution. Look into exercise that is the next most powerful option.

Resistant starch can also reduce insulin resistance but is not nearly as effective as excersise which is less effective than weight loss and the benefit is short term. You have to eat resistant starch often, at least 4-5 times a week for this to be effective at all. Try to eat more legumes, and avoid high GI starch. Most starch has some resistant starch in it but not enough to be helpful. Stick to starches with a GI of less than 60. Limit portions of high starch with GI of maybe 50. Test your BS at 1 hr and 2 hrs after eating for the first time you try a new high calorie food. Then double check with 1 boold test every now and then to be sure you got it right. Do yourself a favor and go to the mendosa web site and study their GI chart it is the most extensive on the web. 2500 itmes versis the normal 100 items. It has other super useful information as well. It will give you the knowledge so you can eat smart but you need to know the rules first. You will discover basmati rice is OK to eat but a similar rice jasmine is bad for you to eat. Brown basmati grown in the Punjab has the lowest GI of any rice. Angel hair pasta is bad but fettuccini is good. Dark chocolate is fine to eat but not cheap chocolate ice cream. You need not need to eat sugar free chocolate. Hummus and celery is a 'free food'. Mendosa is good because it lists about 100 rices instead of listing an average or only testing only one rice. Most of the table does not make sense at first glance because GI is a complex issue. One of the most important factors is how much resistant starch is in the starch.

No one knows for sure, but some scientists think dangerous sugar levels are above 300 somewhere around 350. Your blood chemistry changes in the 300s and sugar comes out of solution and coats your capillary walls. This is also when you pee sugar. Long ago that was the test for a diabetic. If you pee sugar your BS is too high. Bad blood sugar 10 years ago used to be 240 a full 100 away from danger. As time goes by they keep lowing the values knowing many patients will push the limits and for their sake they have lowered all the limits. Everyone agrees BS above 80 can’t hurt anyone. 100 is also very good. I think you are overly nervous but I do not want you to to slacken your efforts to improve your condition. You should be nervous just not overly nervous. Remember you are way ahead of most of us on this board.

Low blood sugar may be more dangerous than high. I do not know if this applies much to a pre-diabetic. It is healthy to know there is such a thing as too low and the damage it does is fast while even super high 300+ damages at a snail’s pace. You want to avoid both.
Old 05-21-2014, 10:09 AM   #25
Senior LCF Member

Oldtimer, I appreciate your input, but the fact is I only weigh 108 lbs and cannot afford to lose weight. Plus, I have exercised consistently for the past 30 years and continue to do so. So, something genetic is going on with me as I'm not overweight and not sedentary. Plus, two years ago when my A1c was 5.9 I cut out or way down on simple carbs and processed foods. So, it's not like I haven't acted on my numbers.
Old 05-21-2014, 09:13 PM   #26
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: seaofsand
Stats: 236/212/135
WOE: Low carb
Start Date: April 2014
I just restarted metformin two weeks ago. I was on it four years ago, did extremely well, and lost a lot of weight. I did so well that my doctor took me off it. I ended up doing badly without it and gained back all the weight. My BG went back up. This wasn't entirely due to coming off metformin. Three years ago, I went through a very bad time in my life, and my eating habits reflected that. To add to that bad experience, I've yo-yo dieted for the last two years. To make a long story short, I had my A1C tested several weeks ago, and it was 7.4. So, I'm back on metformin, and I'm fine with that. I'm hoping that it will assist with my weight loss as it did the first time. Going LC, exercising, and using metformin helped me shed a couple of sizes very quickly. My A1C came down to a great number, although I cannot remember now what it was. Frighteningly, my A1C when I started metformin the first time was 10.5. I was killing myself and had no idea.

I am unlike most people in that I have extreme constipation with metformin. When I came off of it a few years ago, it was like my entire digestive system shut down. I have no idea why. I am dealing with that again, but it seems to be improving slightly as I adjust to it. I noticed a little acid reflux the first few days, but that has disappeared.

Anyway, I am happy to return to the metformin club. It was a miracle drug for me four years ago. I hope to have similar results again. I have played around with my health for too long, and I am not a spring chicken anymore. I'm committing myself to my health again.
Old 05-22-2014, 07:37 AM   #27
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seaofsand View Post
I just restarted metformin two weeks ago. I was on it four years ago, did extremely well, and lost a lot of weight. I did so well that my doctor took me off it. I ended up doing badly without it and gained back all the weight. My BG went back up. This wasn't entirely due to coming off metformin. Three years ago, I went through a very bad time in my life, and my eating habits reflected that. To add to that bad experience, I've yo-yo dieted for the last two years. To make a long story short, I had my A1C tested several weeks ago, and it was 7.4. So, I'm back on metformin, and I'm fine with that. I'm hoping that it will assist with my weight loss as it did the first time. Going LC, exercising, and using metformin helped me shed a couple of sizes very quickly. My A1C came down to a great number, although I cannot remember now what it was. Frighteningly, my A1C when I started metformin the first time was 10.5. I was killing myself and had no idea.

I am unlike most people in that I have extreme constipation with metformin. When I came off of it a few years ago, it was like my entire digestive system shut down. I have no idea why. I am dealing with that again, but it seems to be improving slightly as I adjust to it. I noticed a little acid reflux the first few days, but that has disappeared.

Anyway, I am happy to return to the metformin club. It was a miracle drug for me four years ago. I hope to have similar results again. I have played around with my health for too long, and I am not a spring chicken anymore. I'm committing myself to my health again.
I'm glad Metformin worked so well for you and that you're back on it. I think I'm like you as far as the side effects of Metformin. I've had chronic constipation since going through menopause and I was thinking the Metformin would loosen things up a bit, but that didn't happen. The Metformin didn't cause it, but it didn't help either. If I have good success with it as far as my numbers, I don't intend to stop taking it as diet and exercise hasn't been enough to keep my A1c from creeping up to 6. Good luck to you!

Last edited by Ronnie51; 05-22-2014 at 07:39 AM..
Old 05-24-2014, 08:21 AM   #28
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: jeaniem
Stats: 166/154.2/?
WOE: lc
What brand of meters are you all using. I have the walmart relion prime and a confirm. I ran out of strips for the confirm and found it cheaper to just buy a relion prime since the strips are less expensive for that model. The prime reads way lower, only one reading over 140 after eating carbs. A choc shake with the confirm showed a 200 reading, the relion only 153. Neither reading is good per se, but obviously quite a discrepancy.

I got my AIC test yesterday and am anxious to see what is really going on.
jeaniem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 01:31 PM   #29
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeaniem View Post
What brand of meters are you all using. I have the walmart relion prime and a confirm. I ran out of strips for the confirm and found it cheaper to just buy a relion prime since the strips are less expensive for that model. The prime reads way lower, only one reading over 140 after eating carbs. A choc shake with the confirm showed a 200 reading, the relion only 153. Neither reading is good per se, but obviously quite a discrepancy.

I got my AIC test yesterday and am anxious to see what is really going on.
Good luck with the A1c test, jean, please post when you get the results. I use the True Result meter which is the Walgreen's store brand (I got a rebate for the full cost of the meter). I buy the strips at Amazon at a great price; I just bought 100 strips (two containers of 50) for $17 with free shipping. As far as your readings, that's quite a difference between brands. Did you do a control solution test to see if the strips are accurate? Another good way to check is to test your blood sugar just before you have a blood test at the doctor's office and compare them. My meter is very accurate; I tested at 86 fasting on my meter and LabCorp tested me at 87. As far as the Metformin, I can't believe how well it's working for me (I've been taking it a little over a week). First, I have no side effects. I continue to be constipated like I was before. I stopped my Miralax thinking the Metformin would cause diarrhea, but that never happened, so I restarted the Miralax again last night. My numbers have been great; for the past 3 days I haven't gone over 96 after meals which never happened to me before the Metformin. I just took a random test and it was 80. I've always heard that Metformin at 500 mg isn't really effective but it seems to be working for me. We'll see what my A1c is end July; that is the true test. Again, jean, good luck with your A1c results!
Old 05-25-2014, 11:24 AM   #30
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: jeaniem
Stats: 166/154.2/?
WOE: lc
Sounds like the metformin is working for you with no side effects to boot My younger sister was just prescribed glucophage (generic form) of metformin I believe,but she refuses to take it, she believes she can eat low carb on her own and be fine. I don't think it will work though because her idea of low carb is having the atkins bars for breakfast and lunch and then a low carb dinner with a banana or some coke if she gets shaky.

I had the a1c on Friday afternoon, the tech said they will email me the results after my Dr. receives them. I don't know if they process on weekends and Monday is a holiday, so it may be a while before I hear anything.

Last edited by jeaniem; 05-25-2014 at 11:26 AM..
jeaniem is online now   Reply With Quote