Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > Diabetes
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-23-2014, 05:09 AM   #1
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: BABSY
Cure for diabetes?

I happened to come across this. I think I am going to try.

I reversed my diabetes in just 11 days - by going on a starvation diet | Mail Online

Type 2 diabetes and the diet that cured me | Life and style | The Guardian
BABSY is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-23-2014, 05:41 AM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: E.W.
Stats: 318/297/ a lot less
WOE: Fast5
Start Date: restart again 1/17/2014
I haven't looked at those yet but there may be something to that. I did see that
in some type 2 diabetics who followed a verry low calorie simi starvation diet of about
500 calories for 8 to 12 weeks diabetes did go into remission. The articles I read about this inferred that the rapid weight loss targeted more weight loss from the liver and pancerius.
So it wasn't just the weight loss it was where the weight was being lost.
E.W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 11:51 AM   #3

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
"remission" just means that with a very low carb intake, their blood sugars are in a normal range. this is why very low carb is suggested for diabetics. it's not like it "cures" you if you want to go back to eating carby foods.
ravenrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 02:18 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Dirty Harriet
Stats: 425/179/205 @ 5'7" size 14/16, age 55 (-246#)
WOE: 40Gm carbs/day + WLS
Start Date: 8/11/2005 lap band; maintaining since 7/4/08!!!
My physician told me that I am cured of diabetes after 9 yrs without meds, as the Islet of Langerhans pancreatic cells regenerate.
However, I note that if I eat a small amount of sugary food, I have my neuropathy (feet) act up....so I believe I am in remission, and do not believe there is any cure.

Last edited by Dirty Harriet; 03-23-2014 at 02:23 PM..
Dirty Harriet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 02:27 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Jrw85705
I go along with remission or controlled. I have completely normal numbers without meds after being on strict low carb for 3 years. I had been on meds for the previous six years. I know if I eat anything with a lot of carbs my numbers will skyrocket.
I tested it once with a breadstick from Olive Garden.
Blood sugar before eating the breadstick: 84
1 hour after: 165
2 hours after: 145
4 hours after: 125
And that was one stinking breadstick. I can imagine what it would have been if I had eaten pasta. So whenever anyone tells me I'm cured I tell myself I'm under control.
I won’t define myself by a disease.
Jrw85705 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 06:28 PM   #6
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

The whole idea is to only do it for 8 weeks and it is supposed to cause your pancreas to work properly again. Fat around pancreas is decreased? Fat is clogging the pancreas?
Old 03-24-2014, 06:29 PM   #7
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Harriet View Post
My physician told me that I am cured of diabetes after 9 yrs without meds, as the Islet of Langerhans pancreatic cells regenerate.
However, I note that if I eat a small amount of sugary food, I have my neuropathy (feet) act up....so I believe I am in remission, and do not believe there is any cure.
How do they regenerate? And you mean you were not on any medications?
Old 03-24-2014, 06:34 PM   #8
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

The articles say that you can go back to eating NORMAL
Old 03-24-2014, 07:19 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Dirty Harriet
Stats: 425/179/205 @ 5'7" size 14/16, age 55 (-246#)
WOE: 40Gm carbs/day + WLS
Start Date: 8/11/2005 lap band; maintaining since 7/4/08!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BABSY View Post
How do they regenerate? And you mean you were not on any medications?
I don't know exactly how they regenerate, but it is like your liver.....it can function without putting undue stress on it. I read somewhere that when you're diagnosed with diabetes, 60% of the beta cells in the islets have been destroyed, and eating low carb won't tax the remainder of the functioning cells. A lack of carbs in the diet also increases insulin sensitivity overall, which is what I suspect the program you are investigating, is about.
I used to take oral medications for diabetes, and my A1C was 5.2; the day of surgery for my lap band, I've not taken any meds since. The A1C is 4.8 in January 2014.

Last edited by Dirty Harriet; 03-24-2014 at 07:25 PM..
Dirty Harriet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 06:22 PM   #10
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
I don't know exactly how they regenerate, but it is like your liver.....it can function without putting undue stress on it. I read somewhere that when you're diagnosed with diabetes, 60% of the beta cells in the islets have been destroyed, and eating low carb won't tax the remainder of the functioning cells. A lack of carbs in the diet also increases insulin sensitivity overall, which is what I suspect the program you are investigating, is about.
I used to take oral medications for diabetes, and my A1C was 5.2; the day of surgery for my lap band, I've not taken any meds since. The A1C is 4.8 in January 2014.
I dont think the diet is low carb. The opti shakes that were used are not lowcarb. I wont use opti shakes because they have trans fats. It might be low carb to some, but, I cannot eat that many carbs that are in the shakes without my blood sugar spiking. I will be using Atkins shakes. Even those spike my blood sugar for some reason. I made my own soup with fish and cactus and other veggies and I have lost 7 pounds since Monday.
Old 03-26-2014, 06:25 PM   #11
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Oh, so you had the lap band. That explains it sort of. I still can't figure out why it works.
Old 03-26-2014, 06:25 PM   #12
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Oh, so you had the lap band. That explains it sort of. I still can't figure out why it works. Also, this diet is supposed to copy what you are eating.
Old 03-27-2014, 09:35 AM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Aomiel
Stats: 330/140/140 A1c 4.8
WOE: Bernstein (Maintenance)
Start Date: January 2010
It's all word games. We're insulin resistant before we're diabetic. We become insulin resistant *over time* because our bodies cannot handle the carbs aka a 'normal' diet.

So they may get off all medications. They may get their A1c under 5 (if it's over 5, I'd argue they are still 'diabetic'). They may be able to eat a normal diet without affecting their BG's or A1c...for awhile. I guarantee though that if they go back to their normal diet, *over time* they will once again be insulin resistant, diabetic and on medication.

I think it is irresponsible to tell diabetics they are 'cured'. They aren't cured. They're just controlling it.

My youngest son has had a few hypoglycemic episodes. When he approached his doctor about this, the doctor told him not to worry about it. I told my son that he should worry about it...to the extent that he needs to watch his weight, choose the right carbs and at least stay around 140gm...not the 300+ that is the normal American diet. His hypoglycemia indicates a genetic predisposition for diabetes.

Type 2 controlled by low carb diet <25gm carbs and and controlled protein.
Aomiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 01:15 PM   #14
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
There have been gastric bypass patients who actually were 'cured' of Type 2 diabetes, BUT it requires a Glucose Tolerance Test to determine this.

Most people are simply 'controlled,' as happened to my sister after her WLS (gastric sleeve). She knew she was just controlled, but she actually had medical professionals tell her that she is 'cured' because she's not taking meds.

There is widespread misinformation on this issue.
Leo41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 02:47 PM   #15
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I have lost 13 pounds since Monday
Old 03-30-2014, 06:22 AM   #16
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo41 View Post
There have been gastric bypass patients who actually were 'cured' of Type 2 diabetes, BUT it requires a Glucose Tolerance Test to determine this.

Most people are simply 'controlled,' as happened to my sister after her WLS (gastric sleeve). She knew she was just controlled, but she actually had medical professionals tell her that she is 'cured' because she's not taking meds.

There is widespread misinformation on this issue.
One of my many career 'hats' is doing therapy (both group and individual) with people who are considering, or have had, WLS. As a result, I know gastric bypass patients who were told they were 'cured' by GTT results, but after several years of going back to their old eating habits, they started putting on weight, became insulin resistant and diabetic. So I would disagree with their idea that gastric bypass can cure their diabetes. I won't even get into what i think of a GTT determining whether someone even has diabetes, but then I tend to disagree with a number of 'beliefs' in the diabetic community.

By those same 'standards', they consider me 'cured'...and I know I'm not. Oh sure, now that I'm not insulin resistant, I can most likely eat more carbs than I do...for awhile...but since I now know I have that genetic predisposition for diabetes *and* have made that journey once already, it means that if I go back to my old habits, I will once again be insulin resistant and diabetic...just as that gastric bypass patient will who once again goes back to their old habits.

Sadly, there is little coverage given to the bypass patients who never lose any more weight than they would normally as a part of the surgery (about 2/3 of the total weight they need to lose is what they predict) and then go on to slowly revert back to their old eating (and sadly, their bodies do compensate and allow them to do so in many many cases) habits and start ballooning back up to their presurgery weight.
Old 03-30-2014, 06:24 AM   #17
Major LCF Poster!

Congratulations Babsy...one step at a time.
Old 03-31-2014, 03:43 PM   #18
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Debleg
Low carb diet but sugars still above 120

I have been a type II diabetic for over 10 years. I have always been well controlled on diet and oral meds. Two years ago, my sugars went up to 300 and I had to get on long acting insulin taken at night and I am taking Victoza. I also have high blood pressure meds and cholesterol meds I take.

I started on low carb (below 30) , high fat two weeks ago. I am logging everything I eat in an app that tracks on my phone. I had been having BG around 120-125 in am fasting. Now that I am on low carb the fasting BG is running around 150 to 160. I thought this would bring my number down not up.

Has anyone had this problem. I am not sure what to make of it. I have lost 8 pounds and feel fine and am not hungry. I just know my BG is going in the wrong direction and cant figure out why. Please let me know if you have dealt with this issue.
Debleg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 05:12 AM   #19
Major LCF Poster!

Deb,
You might want to get ahold of Dr. Bernstein's "Diabetes Solution". There are other factors, besides carbs, which can drive our blood sugars up, particularly if we're insulin resistant.

Are you tracking your food? Bernstein recommends no more than 1-1.5gm of protein per kilo of *ideal* weight as excess protein can create glucose just like carbs. What types of carbs are you eating? Bernstein says only non-starchy vegies. He also says to split the 25gm of allowable carbs up between breakfast, lunch and dinner (5/10/10).

For me, his plan was a lifesaver.
Old 04-02-2014, 05:36 PM   #20
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/111.8/124 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD 1/1/12 + LCHF 12/1/13 (controlling diabetes)
Hey Babsy,
I have read a lot of studies on pubmed that flat out state some forms of T2 are caused by non-alcoholic fatty liver and pancreas disease. And Newcastle says the extreme low caloric intake on the diet you are doing does force the body to burn that excess organ fat.

In 2012 I lost 50 pounds on JUDDD (which is every other day approx 500 calorie fasting). I was not testing BG at the time, but I had all the symptoms of diabetes. And, after 5 months of JUDDD those symptoms went away. Further, on the JUDDD sub-forum several T2s saw their BG normalize, no matter what they eat. In 2013, at goal, I found I could eat as much and whatever I wanted and maintain easily. I never did regain the weight but the symptoms returned (and BG testing showed I was in trouble). I suspect I refilled my nafld/naflpd stores.

I plan to return to JUDDD - it will take longer, but I want to clean out the fat without losing much more weight. I hope I can manage better control with intermittent fasting.

How are you doing on this experiment? I wish you success!
STILL below goal 2/15/14

I did not "lose" weight. I evicted it. It is gone and it ain't coming back!

JUDDD cares about calories. JUDDD does not care what you eat. Your body probably does.
gotsomeold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 02:25 PM   #21
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

So you think JUDDD works the same way? I need to look into that. What is nafld/naflpd?
Old 04-04-2014, 11:29 AM   #22
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/111.8/124 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD 1/1/12 + LCHF 12/1/13 (controlling diabetes)
non-alcoholic fatty liver disease and non-alcoholic fatty pancreas disease. Hope over to pubmed and run a search on 'diabetes free fatty acids' the research is impressive.

Yep, I think for many people intermittent fasting accomplishes the same thing fasting accomplishes, just at a slower speed ... and based on what I have read (and personal experience), intermittent fasting is much less stressful / even healthy for the body. Take a look at some of the JUDDD stickies.

Oh, you can eat LC while IFing. Which I see as the best of both worlds.
gotsomeold is offline   Reply With Quote