LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2014, 08:54 PM   #31
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JayLynn
Stats: 5'7" 330/236/199 first goal
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: A new start 1/1/14
Hi Dawn,
I finally got my "dirt" and want to take it for all the benefits mention on the JUDDD boards. I haven't started with it yet because I want to get this potato starch experiment moving along before I add something new.
So, do you take both? What have you noticed as a benefit from the "dirt", if any?
Thanks!
JayLynn is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-22-2014, 02:25 AM   #32
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Heidinem
Stats: 130/111/105 (5')
WOE: mostly pescetarian, moderate carbs
Start Date: November 1, 2009
Dawn, yes, this board always has something new for us even after 4 years of low carbing. I experienced great results from the "pond scum" and I would not give it up. Using the magnesium oil too.

It is day 3 of my experiment on the RS. Less bloating and much less hunger in the morning and evening because I take the 2T RS with about 8-10 oz of water. Of course I spend all morning getting rid of all that liquid. And up all night to go to the bathroom. I have regained almost 8 lbs of the weight I lost 4 years ago so I am willing to deal with the bathroom issue. No real problems with digestion, no gas or or any other problems.

On the dirt, my hubby took it for a few months and we did not notice any difference in how he felt.

"obesity is a complex problem and it will not be shoehorned into simplistic hypotheses"
Stephan Guyenet
Heidinem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 02:56 AM   #33
Senior LCF Member

I have given up putting the RS in water. I mix it with yogurt both AM & PM. It took a while to be able to accept the taste. My results as far as hunger reduction have been so positive that I am willing to accept that my yogurt doesn't taste as good as it used to. I continue to experience less bloating than usual and no digestive issues.
Old 03-24-2014, 04:01 AM   #34
Senior LCF Member

Most of the time I just put a big old spoonful into water and chug it down.

But sometimes I add it to my yogurt (I don't eat yogurt everyday) and I don't taste it at all. Funny how we are all so different.

I got the sbo probiotics and have added them also. Hope I see better BS number soon. Sometimes they are down, but not consistently.
Old 04-11-2014, 03:54 AM   #35
Senior LCF Member

I finally tested my sugar this AM, after coffee and half & half. It was 95, which is about the usual for me. I started resistant starch 3 weeks ago. My hubby had a 91 reading, which is higher than usual for him. We did have a few bites of potatoes yesterday at dinner (cooled overnight), perhaps 1/4 cup.

I am disappointed but will keep taking the starch as it seems to fill me up. I also need to check sugar after meals to see how I do . My 1 hour after meal (low carb) readings run from 110-125.
Old 04-11-2014, 06:13 AM   #36
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: dawnyama
Stats: 154/119.2/118 5'3.5"
WOE: Rx hcg
Start Date: 6/1/09
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayLynn View Post
Hi Dawn,
I finally got my "dirt" and want to take it for all the benefits mention on the JUDDD boards. I haven't started with it yet because I want to get this potato starch experiment moving along before I add something new.
So, do you take both? What have you noticed as a benefit from the "dirt", if any?
Thanks!
Oh wow. I didn't even see this question. So sorry about that. I have been taking the DE for a while now. I am doing a TBL daily and want to do so for my hair mainly. The silica in it is supposed to be good for the hair. My hypothyroidism has not really effected my hair in the past, but in the most recent few months I have noticed that I have a lot of thinning around my face. So my hairline looks like it might be receding. How horrifying to realize I could be losing my hair So I decided to take the DE in earnest to get my hair back. No noticeable improvement yet, but I have not given it very long. My nails are great, but I attribute that to the mag more than the DE. But those taking the DE report better, stronger, longer nails. So another plus for the DE!
Old 04-11-2014, 09:04 AM   #37
Senior LCF Member

No problem Dawn. Its easy to miss a question on here sometimes.

I've been taking the starch and the probiotics for weeks now. My numbers are good, but I do have to watch what I eat. No bread or processed food.

I'm going to start with the DE. I wanted to get my body adjusted to the RS first. I'll report on how its working.

This whole "what works what doesn't" is such a life long trial and error.
Some days I just wish I could focus on something else for a change!
Old 04-11-2014, 01:52 PM   #38
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/111.8/124 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD 1/1/12 + LCHF 12/1/13 (controlling diabetes)
Well, I have been back from vacation for two weeks and the PS bag is still in the pantry. I had a bad allergic reaction to something I ate and am still in recovery mode. Scared to try anything new just yet. But, this thread is fascinating! I am going to start PSing soon.
gotsomeold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 06:17 PM   #39
Senior LCF Member

Hope you are 100 percent better soon Nancy! Sucks to have that happen on a wonderful vacation.
Old 04-12-2014, 04:55 AM   #40
Senior LCF Member

Another update!! Checked blood sugar again this AM, after having 2 glasses of wine last night. Mine was 82 & hubby's was 50. He had beer instead of wine. I have not seen 82 pn the home meter since we have been checking for the last 5 years. The lowest hubby ever had was in the 70s. I will check again next week after a norma day, without any alcohol to see if I am able to get readings below 90.
Old 04-26-2014, 09:15 AM   #41
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: PACarolsue
A google search for Resistant Starch brought me to this thread, so I signed up for Low Carb Friends. I heard about the potato starch a few months back and bought a bag of Bob's Red Mills. I tried it a couple times and although it doesn't have much taste, it made me very burpy, so it sits in the pantry. Now I'm interested in trying it again.

After getting an A1c of 9.7 I decided to get the carbs out of my diet. I haven't had my follow up labs yet, but I can tell by my testing that I have done very well, and wish to continue on.

I like what I see so far on this forum and will continue to look around, reading mostly, and commenting here and there, hoping to learn a lot and make new friends.
PACarolsue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 10:07 AM   #42
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Galveston Gal
Stats: 5'0"
WOE: Low Carb/High Fat
Quote:
Originally Posted by PACarolsue View Post

I like what I see so far on this forum and will continue to look around, reading mostly, and commenting here and there, hoping to learn a lot and make new friends....
There are many differing opinions here...very diverse...YES...VERY HELPFUL
Glad you found us...hope you find direction to what you need.
That glucometer can be very, very helpful...fasting, before meals, after meals, before sleep.......it reveals things sometimes we wish we didn't know, but ultimately learn to accept!

WELCOME !
Galveston Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 05:20 AM   #43
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/111.8/124 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD 1/1/12 + LCHF 12/1/13 (controlling diabetes)
Welcome PACarolesue!

I am afraid of the burpy, gassy reaction many people experience when they start RS. I started taking soil-based pre-/probiotics a few days ago. Having to build those up gradually (for me, they have a very strong detox effect). I read ABP feeds on RS and so, minimizes the gas production. In a few more days I plan to start with a small amount of potato starch ... and watch my BG like a hungry hawk!
gotsomeold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 09:05 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by PACarolsue View Post
A google search for Resistant Starch brought me to this thread, so I signed up for Low Carb Friends. I heard about the potato starch a few months back and bought a bag of Bob's Red Mills. I tried it a couple times and although it doesn't have much taste, it made me very burpy, so it sits in the pantry. Now I'm interested in trying it again.

After getting an A1c of 9.7 I decided to get the carbs out of my diet. I haven't had my follow up labs yet, but I can tell by my testing that I have done very well, and wish to continue on.

I like what I see so far on this forum and will continue to look around, reading mostly, and commenting here and there, hoping to learn a lot and make new friends.
So glad you found us. However that was
dawnyama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 09:07 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galveston Gal View Post
That glucometer can be very, very helpful...fasting, before meals, after meals, before sleep.......it reveals things sometimes we wish we didn't know, but ultimately learn to accept!

WELCOME !
And even DURING sleep. Cannot tell you how much sleep MY poor DH is giving up so he can check our DD's blood sugar in the middle of the night. Such a gem of a hubby and dad
dawnyama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 10:32 AM   #46
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: oldtimer
If you want to increase your RS try oat meal grule in the morning. It has fairly high levels of RS and soulable fiber. The combination of the two is more effective for many issues like insulin resistance than more of either fiber. Other good sources are whole grain barley, green bananas and roasted chickpeas. Even yellow bananas with a touch of green are loaded with RS. Green bananas are 75% RS 25% bad starch and almost ripe are still 50/50. This must taste better and probably has much more RS than potato flour. The only source better is raw potatoes. Since food prep dramitically alters the RS/bad ratio I would stick to what I mentioned. Even well chewed food dramitically reduces RS.

As previously stated, you want to up your RS slowly to prevent air pollution. You may not want to take probiotics. The proper bacteria will increase naturally because you are feeding them. Adding a huge population of envading bacteria will compete with your natural bacteria. That is the purpose of a probiotic. Overwhelm the flora in you bowels and replace them with better bacteria. You do that when you suspect your flora is mostly bad bacteria.

I can't tell if RS has helped me because I cut carbs as I increased RS. I am diebetic and a recent medicine change forced me to go this route which is working. I may cut back but do not intend to quit even after my meds are corrected. My endocrinologest is so busy you can only get an appointment 90 days or more out. The med change is not dramitic but I am sure it pushed me over 7.0 A1c. I finally figured out that I was over loading my pancrease. I cheated big time last night and my fasting BS was still OK. My fasting BS was all over the place a few months ago. I shoot for 140 +/- 10 which is good for me and I saw fasting BSs above 200. Back when I was diagnosed your BS needed to be much higher than what it needs to be today to be diebetic. This means anyone diagnosed then has a very damaged pancrease. Most of us are on insulin now. I am one of the lucky ones who is still hanging in there.
oldtimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 05:54 AM   #47
Senior LCF Member

Had my blood work last week.
2014 fasting sugar was 93, A1C was 5.5
2012 fasting sugar 99 no a1c
2011 fasting sugar 109 no a1c
2010 fasting sugar 53, A1C 5.4

I don't know if the fasting sugar was helped by the RS or not. However, I do not see a reason to stop taking it, I think it does help with gut flora. I am taking it only once a day now. My blood glucose in 2010 was probably a fluke as I was still in weight loss mode and crazy careful of what I ate. The reason I began this journey was high sugar readings on the home meter back in 2009. I read that a pre diabetic would be diabetic within 5 years in most cases if they did not take immediate measures to control sugar. Four plus years now and I am holding steady and pretty happy.
Old 06-03-2014, 06:38 AM   #48
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Galveston Gal
Stats: 5'0"
WOE: Low Carb/High Fat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidinem View Post

Four plus years now and I am holding steady and pretty happy.

. .
EXCELLENT JOB !
Galveston Gal is offline   Reply With Quote