Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > Diabetes
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-07-2014, 11:39 AM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: StarwoodJD
Improved Numbers on Low Carb

Hello!

My name is John. I live in Cincinnati. I'm 61 (but look 60 and a half). I began low carbing Christmas morning 2012 after what can only be described as a four-week holiday eating frenzy that began Thanksgiving. I was on Atkins in the 90s; the weight just melted off then. This time it's been really slow. I was a little discouraged last summer after being on the program for eight months and showing only a 20 pound weight loss so I jumped ship for two months and tried Weight Watchers. Although my caloric intake was about the same, the shift from moderate protein, high fat, low carbohydrate to low fat, moderate to high carbohydrate, moderate protein, left me hungry most of the time. Last week I saw my doctor for my annual checkup. My weight was 244 (down 35 pounds in 14 months), but the really good news came this week in my blood work. I've been diabetic since 2005. My hemoglobin A1c has been as high as 9.2. When I started Atkins fourteen months ago, it as 7.2. I've cut my oral medication by 75% because of low blood glucose readings, and the lab results now show a hemoglobin A1c (measure of blood glucose levels for previous three months) at 5.8. Hopefully, this will give hope to any others out there who feel they are spinning their wheels sometimes. Yes, the weight loss is slow, but the health rewards make it all worth it.

December 25, 2012

Weight - 279

hemoglobin A1c - 7.2

February 25, 2014

Weight - 244

hemoglobin A1c - 5.8

Best of luck to all of you. John
StarwoodJD is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-07-2014, 11:55 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Ronnie51
Congratulations, John, it's great that your LC eating has paid off so well. I, myself, eat LC to control post meal blood sugar spikes (I learned by testing that I'm very carb sensitive). I don't need to lose weight (wt is 108 lbs), but diabetes is in my family and my A1c is in pre diabetes territory. Appreciate your sharing your good news.
Ronnie51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 02:02 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Jrw85705
Welcome and congratulations on your success. I started low carb three years ago when I was 61 and have become a firm believer. I too decreased my meds as my numbers improved. For me the longer I maintain the more stable my number have become.

Keep up the good work and let us know how you are doing?
Jrw85705 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 01:52 AM   #4
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/111.8/124 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD 1/1/12 + LCHF 12/1/13 (controlling diabetes)
Great news! I take your BG stabilized on both LCHF and on WW? Physical weight and personal metabolism play such critical roles in BG stabilization.

Happy Dance for John!!!
gotsomeold is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 05:27 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: cprcheetah
Stats: 224.6/204.6/130
WOE: Lean For Life/Low Cal
Start Date: LFL 3/4/2014
That is awesome! My hubby is a diabetic as well and we are working to get his A1C levels down too. His are like 11 I think right now.
cprcheetah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 07:18 AM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Aomiel
Stats: 330/140/140 A1c 4.8
WOE: Bernstein (Maintenance)
Start Date: January 2010
Congratulations, John. There are many of us here who've gone from very high A1c's to normal (mine went from 10.5 to 4.9) and off all meds or at least minimal. Which makes it all the more surprising that the medical community is still behind the times.

Keep up the good work!
Aomiel is offline   Reply With Quote