LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2014, 05:18 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sarahatl
WOE: No Flour No Sugar
Start Date: May 2013
What is considered a spike in BS?

Hi All:
I am curious as to what is considered a spike? For example if I eat an orange and my blood sugar goes up 20 points after an hour? Is that too high?I know after 2 hours your blood sugar should be what it was before you ate correct? I am just wondering how much you would consider to be too high after eating something? Hope this makes sense. THanks for your help!
sarahatl is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-23-2014, 06:42 PM   #2

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
hmmm. this is a hard question. if you are diabetic, I would be very surprised if your blood sugar only went up 20 points from an orange and was back to the previous level in 2 hours.

if you are diabetic, that is a question of the efficacy of your meds. if you are not diabetic, it's a matter of your insulin metabolism.
ravenrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 05:31 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

I have not been diagnosed as a diabetic just trying to keep my blood sugar in check by eating LC and healthy. My fasting BS is normally 95 and my A1C was 5.9. I have the Relion testing meter and just was wondering what would be a spike for example if I ate an apple. If my blood sugar was 95 before eating the apple then would I check every 15 min so see how it spiked? How high would be too high? I am trying to figure out which foods to avoid? As always I appreciate you comments and advice.
Old 02-24-2014, 07:49 AM   #4
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/111.8/124 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD 1/1/12 + LCHF 12/1/13 (controlling diabetes)
My rule of thumb is over 110 is questionable but happens, over 120 is too high, 140 or above is in organs can be damaged territory. If I go above 110, I want to know why. If I go over 120, I find out why and stop it.

I am not on meds. My latest A1C was 5.6. So, this is working for me.
gotsomeold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 02:39 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

gotsomeold: Thank you for your advice. Do you usually test after 1 hour? 2 hour? If I eat something should I test after one hour and expect that to be 110? Thanks for your help. I am just trying to keep from becoming a diabetic.
Old 02-24-2014, 05:19 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Ronnie51
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahatl View Post
gotsomeold: Thank you for your advice. Do you usually test after 1 hour? 2 hour? If I eat something should I test after one hour and expect that to be 110? Thanks for your help. I am just trying to keep from becoming a diabetic.
Hi Sara, I am in exactly the same situation as you...my blood results on my last test matched yours to a tee: Fasting glucose was 95 and A1c was 5.9. My doctor is unconcerned, but I feel as you do, that I'm trying to keep from becoming diabetic. I think the fact that I'm lean (109 lbs) and that my fasting insulin is low, my doctor isn't worrying. Last year when my A1c reached 5.9, I cut out bread (except for occasional), pasta, potatoes, rice, processed foods, crackers, cereal (I miss that the most). And I bought a meter and tested. I found that I am very carb sensitive, even to so-called low carb foods (like Atkins pasta). I managed to get my A1c down to 5.5 last September, but my most current test was back up to 5.9 which really upset me because I didn't know why and I still don't. All I can say is, after my A1c went down to 5.5, I stopped testing, so maybe I was eating something that was spiking me and brought my A1c back up to 5.9, so I just started testing again. What I found for myself is that I reach my highest level an hour after eating, so I will test then to see how a particular food has affected my blood sugar. I'm comfortable if after an hour, my blood sugar is not over 140. From what I've read, levels over 140 is when damage begins to happen (I've also read that it's sustained levels over 140 that causes damage, but I'm not sure about that). So, I'm trying to stay away from foods that spike my blood sugar over 140 after an hour. Unfortunately, this means I'll have to cut a few more favorites from my diet (like the hickory bourbon barbecue sauce on my grilled salmon or certain salad dressings), but I need to do it to get my A1c back down to 5.5. Good luck to you!
Ronnie51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 05:57 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Thank you Ronnie it seems we are a lot alike as I am not overweight either. I really miss the cereal too! I think I will try to test at one hour and try to keep my readings under 140. Do you eat fruit at all?
Old 02-24-2014, 07:14 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Ronnie51
I was eating an apple every night, but never tested to see how it affected my blood sugar. So, I decided to test the other night. I ate a medium/large Macoun apple two hours after dinner. While I don't always test before I eat (although it is a good idea to do so), I did test and my glucose two hours after dinner was 108. I then ate the apple and tested an hour later and was surprised to see that my sugar only tested at 109. I thought about it, and I think it didn't go higher because, as I mentioned, I ate the apple two hours after dinner and maybe my insulin release was in its second phase, so that's what kept my sugar from rising after eating the apple. I'm not an apple lover, however, and can do without it anyway (I was only eating them because I thought they are good for me). I do know that berries (strawberries, blueberries, blackberries, etc) are low glycemic, so they would probably be good fruits to eat without spiking blood sugar. I wish this was easier, but it's just trial and error. I learned that I really have to keep testing because when I stopped, my good A1c of 5.5 went back up to 5.9.

Last edited by Ronnie51; 02-24-2014 at 07:19 PM.. Reason: Added a sentence
Ronnie51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 03:17 PM   #9
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

If I know the meal very well (have tested before) then I don't test unless I feel strange.

New foods, or foods I am tuning amounts then I test at 1 and 2 hours. I expect to see the spike at 1 hour and then a significant reduction at 2 hours...unless there was a lot of fat in the meal. Fat elongates my spikes by several hours.

YOU have to test to find out your up/down pattern. I think it is a very good idea to test to find that pattern. And test to find out what foods or what amount of those foods spike you. I am constantly tuning my eating...adding new foods I can 'trust', trying new foods. It is kind of exciting.
STILL below goal 2/15/14

I did not "lose" weight. I evicted it. It is gone and it ain't coming back!

JUDDD cares about calories. JUDDD does not care what you eat. Your body probably does.
Old 03-06-2014, 11:17 AM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: MSN08
Stats: sizes 18/6 calling goal!
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: June 2012
I learned through testing more than just at the 1 hr and 2 hour mark that most meals I peak at only 10-15 minutes after eating. Now I know my sudden blurred vision and tingly feet only 10 minutes-15 minutes after eating an apple is because my bs is going up to 165 from a pre-meal level of 79 in only 10-15 minutes and then even worse is just 10 minutes after that high I drop to 70's again but I never would have known this was happening this fast and drastically because of the normal 1 hr and 2 hour readings. So I recommend testing in between the recommended 1 and 2 hr marks to find out when you are peaking and just how high it is going. This is such a fickle thing but I am learning a lot.
Old 03-07-2014, 09:48 AM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSN08 View Post
I learned through testing more than just at the 1 hr and 2 hour mark that most meals I peak at only 10-15 minutes after eating. Now I know my sudden blurred vision and tingly feet only 10 minutes-15 minutes after eating an apple is because my bs is going up to 165 from a pre-meal level of 79 in only 10-15 minutes and then even worse is just 10 minutes after that high I drop to 70's again but I never would have known this was happening this fast and drastically because of the normal 1 hr and 2 hour readings. So I recommend testing in between the recommended 1 and 2 hr marks to find out when you are peaking and just how high it is going. This is such a fickle thing but I am learning a lot.
Thank you MSN08...I will try that as well!
Old 03-08-2014, 01:56 AM   #12
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

When I eat something new, I test at 15 minute intervals. And I test if something weird happens after I eat something I think I know.

It is amazing, for me, how different foods and different combinations of foods increase/decrease time to BG spike, then shorten/elongate the spike!

Wow, I think going from 79 to 165 to 70s would leave me sick in bed, shaking for hours!