LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-16-2014, 08:17 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: finallylosing
Stats: 206/135/I think I've reached it!
WOE: Bernstein
Start Date: May 2012
Meter question

Just curious for those that check their sugars often, more than four times a day, how long does your glucometer last? I have had mine for two years now and check between four and six times a day but for the last few days I am getting some crazy readings. Nothing has changed in my diet but my readings are really high. But then I will check again in a few minutes and they are back to normal. My hands are clean so it's not that. Just wondering if people find the meters sort of die off after a while.
finallylosing is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-18-2014, 06:11 AM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Aomiel
Stats: 330/140/140 A1c 4.8
WOE: Bernstein (Maintenance)
Start Date: January 2010
I would go online to the makers of your meter and order the solution to calibrate your meter. I used the same meter for about 6 years before switching to another...for no other reason than the cost of the test strips.

However, meters are allowed to have a +/- error of 20 so it's not difficult to understand why you are getting such vastly different readings. Whenever I get a reading I consider to be abnormally high or low (no rationale for it), I immediately take another reading. If it's too much lower or higher, I'll take a third to see which is correct, but if it's the same, I accept it's. The joys of these meters.

Last edited by Aomiel; 02-18-2014 at 06:15 AM..
Aomiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 05:10 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: finallylosing
Stats: 206/135/I think I've reached it!
WOE: Bernstein
Start Date: May 2012
Thanks for the advice. Since I posted I have bought new strips and am thinking it was the strips. I had run out and remembered I had some left in the meter I keep in my purse so used them but honestly don't know how long they had been in there! I rarely use that meter. Hoping that's all it was.
finallylosing is offline   Reply With Quote