Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > Diabetes
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-2014, 06:40 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Ronnie51
Where do fruits fit into low carb diet...if at all

I've been trying to eat lower carb, but with all the conflicting information out there, it's been difficult. For the past few months, I've been eating a mid to large sized apple practically every night before bed which I think may have contributed to the increase in my A1c. I know the ADA says it's okay to eat fruit (along with their "healthy grains"), but I'd like to know the truth. So, can you educate me on where fruits fit in, if at all (apples in particular, my fruit of choice). Actually, I'm fine with not eating fruit at all; I've been eating apples because I thought they were good for me. Thank you all, as usual.
Ronnie51 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-12-2014, 07:09 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

I forgot to mention that I don't have diabetes, but I am very carb sensitive.
Old 02-12-2014, 07:59 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Jrw85705
I found I had to cut out most fruit. Apples, oranges,grapes and cherries are out. I can have, in moderation, strawberries and blackberries but the other fruits just send my numbers way off the chart.

I probably miss fruit the most out of all high carb foods I stopped eating but my numbers have never been better.
Jrw85705 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 10:50 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Jakelilydad
WOE: low carbs
Start Date: Feb 2012
Summer peaches are the tough one for me, but I limit myself to one per day just before getting some exercise. I have a peach tree in my backyard which produces loads that all seem to ripen over about a 10 day period, so that is the tough time, but aside from that, I am ok with berries. Mostly I just eat fruit as decoration on a dessert, or a few berries (or slices of frozen peaches!) in a smoothie.
Jakelilydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 07:29 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: NAT&RD
Stats: (5'4") 138/116/116
WOE: MODERATE CARBS
Start Date: 2008
I eat a lot more carbs than most people on this site ( around 75 per day) Even with that High number I have to be careful with fruit. Usually 1 serving = 1/2 cup. A very small apple, or 1/2 a medium apple, a few slices of orange. I try to stick to berries cranberries. and I try to eat it with fat and protein.
NAT&RD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 09:15 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: haferchamp
Start Date: 12/15/12
Fruit is a tough one for me also. I do miss the taste so will eat very small quantities if in front of me. A couple of strawberries, a few blueberries, 1/4 of an apple or orange. Anymore than that and it will spike my BS too high.

I don't buy fruit but if it comes as a decoration on my plate I'll eat that. It's never very much and as my Dr. says, "as a treat once in a while and in very small amounts".
haferchamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 10:54 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

I'm more and more thinking that eating that (yummy) apple every night actually did contribute to my higher A1c (it went from 5.5 to 5.9). I really won't miss it as there's plenty of low carb snacks I could eat before bed; I just thought it was healthy for me. I'll stop that practice and see how I do on my next test.
Old 02-14-2014, 01:46 PM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Janknitz
Stats: 254/184/150
WOE: Low Carb High Fat, Primal
Start Date: June 16, 2011
Even if you don't have diabetes you can get yourself a meter and TEST to see exactly how you're responding to the fruit. I would right before eating the fruit, then every 15 minutes until your BG returns to the pre-meal level. You only have to test that much once or twice to see where you are likely to peak--some people peak at 1 hour, others 2 or even 3.

Supposedly, the fructose in fruit won't cause a rise in blood sugar because we are measuring blood GLUCOSE, but I definitely have an response--most fruits cause me to have reactive hypoglycemia. Low glycemic fruits like berries and melons in SMALL servings don't trouble me, but things like citrus and apples really bother me (I don't like apples, so that helps!).
Janknitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 07:04 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: finallylosing
Stats: 206/135/I think I've reached it!
WOE: Bernstein
Start Date: May 2012
I really react to fruit so tend to stay away from it but I can handle a few berries in my yogurt or mixed in my flax pancakes.
I ate the most wonderfully juicy peach last summer and had a headache within half an hour because my sugars went so high. Part of me thinks it was worth it but I don't know if I would do it again!!
finallylosing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 07:33 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janknitz View Post
Even if you don't have diabetes you can get yourself a meter and TEST to see exactly how you're responding to the fruit. I would right before eating the fruit, then every 15 minutes until your BG returns to the pre-meal level. You only have to test that much once or twice to see where you are likely to peak--some people peak at 1 hour, others 2 or even 3.

Supposedly, the fructose in fruit won't cause a rise in blood sugar because we are measuring blood GLUCOSE, but I definitely have an response--most fruits cause me to have reactive hypoglycemia. Low glycemic fruits like berries and melons in SMALL servings don't trouble me, but things like citrus and apples really bother me (I don't like apples, so that helps!).
I actually do have a meter which helped me get my A1c down from 5.9 to 5.5, but I never tested myself after I ate an apple. I always tested fasting glucose, after full meals and after I bought the low carb bagels I found at a local store (which really are low carb and high fiber...yay!). The main change I made to my diet that may have brought my A1c back up to 5.9 is the nightly apple. I'm giving my stash of apples to my sister, but I'll keep one to test with.
Old 02-16-2014, 01:12 AM   #11
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: barb123
I am a type 2. I eat fruit but only 1/2 at a time. I will have eaten the whole fruit by the end of the day. Sometimes I only eat 1/4 and have a few nuts also. Fruit is good but not all at once.
barb123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 06:34 AM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Aomiel
Stats: 330/140/140 A1c 4.8
WOE: Bernstein (Maintenance)
Start Date: January 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie51 View Post
I actually do have a meter which helped me get my A1c down from 5.9 to 5.5, but I never tested myself after I ate an apple. I always tested fasting glucose, after full meals and after I bought the low carb bagels I found at a local store (which really are low carb and high fiber...yay!). The main change I made to my diet that may have brought my A1c back up to 5.9 is the nightly apple. I'm giving my stash of apples to my sister, but I'll keep one to test with.
Ronnie,
In your OP you said you weren't a diabetic, but with an A1c of 5.9...yeah, you are...and while you can get your A1c down and your diabetes under control, you will always be a diabetic. Which means, depending on your level of insulin resistance, you will always have to keep any eye on your carbs.

I'm going to agree with Dr. Bernstein (Diabetes Solution) that we do not 'need' fruit. Yes, it makes the diet more varied, but there's nothing in them that we can't get from other sources and given that they can really raise the BG's, they're best to be avoided if they have that kind of impact on your A1c.
Aomiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 04:05 PM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aomiel View Post
Ronnie,
In your OP you said you weren't a diabetic, but with an A1c of 5.9...yeah, you are...and while you can get your A1c down and your diabetes under control, you will always be a diabetic. Which means, depending on your level of insulin resistance, you will always have to keep any eye on your carbs.

I'm going to agree with Dr. Bernstein (Diabetes Solution) that we do not 'need' fruit. Yes, it makes the diet more varied, but there's nothing in them that we can't get from other sources and given that they can really raise the BG's, they're best to be avoided if they have that kind of impact on your A1c.
Sorry, Aomiel, but I'm not a follower of Dr. Bernstein. I've read loads of articles from different doctors that state people who are not diabetic can have A1c's up to 6. It's been proven that "normal" people have red blood cells that live longer than diabetics so they're A1c's often test higher. And I hope you won't take this the wrong way, but you don't know anything about me and I don't really appreciate being told that I have diabetes based on me posting that my A1c was 5.9. It's my understanding that medical diagnoses is not the purpose of this board. I merely wondered how fruit fits into a low carb diet. I hope I didn't offend you because that isn't my intention.
Old 02-18-2014, 04:25 PM   #14
Senior LCF Member

From the Mayo Clinic,

•Glycated hemoglobin (A1C) test. This blood test indicates your average blood sugar level for the past two to three months. It works by measuring the percentage of blood sugar attached to hemoglobin, the oxygen-carrying protein in red blood cells. The higher your blood sugar levels, the more hemoglobin you'll have with sugar attached. An A1C level between 6 and 6.5 percent is considered prediabetes. A level of 6.5 percent or higher on two separate tests indicates you have diabetes.
Old 02-19-2014, 11:40 AM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Aomiel
Stats: 330/140/140 A1c 4.8
WOE: Bernstein (Maintenance)
Start Date: January 2010
We all believe what we want to. I choose not to believe an industry that is leading more and more people into needing medication to control their diabetes. I hope you have success with whatever you choose to believe/do. No I'm not offended.

You'll get just as many different opinions on the fruit, however. Some people believe fruit is ok on a low carb diet because they believe low carb is 100gm or 140gm or anything below what the average person eats per day (over 300gm). Others believe fruit can't possibly be permissible on low carb because low carb is below 50 (or even lower).

It just depends on which 'thought' you follow.

Last edited by Aomiel; 02-19-2014 at 11:43 AM..
Aomiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 08:04 AM   #16
Senior LCF Member

My A1c has been bouncing back and forth between 5.9 & 5.5; my fasting BG varies between mid 80's to upper 90's. I do realize my A1c is in the "uh oh" stage and that's why I've been watching my carb intake. Type 2 is in my family and there's no doubt that I'm carb sensitive. My doctor is unconcerned because I am lean and my fasting insulin is low, as are my triglycerides and LDL with high HDL (but with the help of 20 mg Zocor). I've always read that diabetes is diagnosed from an A1c of at least 6.5 on more than one test. I've never read anywhere where an A1c under 6 is considered diabetes, but again, I never read Dr. Bernstein. I don't count my carbs, but I did cut out pasta, bread (occasional), rice, processed food, potatoes, desserts, breaded fried foods. If I find that my A1c starts creeping up more, I'll take the next step. I commend you, Aomiel, for your diligence in controlling your diabetes. I think you are the exception in today's world. So, back to the fruit....I was only eating it because of the "fruit is good for you" mindset; I really don't love it. Thanks for being an inspiration.

Last edited by Ronnie51; 02-20-2014 at 08:05 AM.. Reason: Added a word
Old 02-20-2014, 02:48 PM   #17
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Janknitz
Stats: 254/184/150
WOE: Low Carb High Fat, Primal
Start Date: June 16, 2011
Quote:
I'm really interested to hear your findings. Please let us know.
Janknitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 03:01 PM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janknitz View Post
I'm really interested to hear your findings. Please let us know.
The apple is sitting in my refrigerator...I'll get to it at some point. Will post when I do.
Old 02-20-2014, 06:13 PM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Well, I didn't expect this.
I tested my BG before I ate the apple, which was approximately 2 hours after I ate dinner. Result was 108.
I ate a medium/large Macoun apple.
I tested one hour later. Result was 109.

I'm not sure what happened here except that maybe my second insulin phase from dinner was occurring when I ate the apple so it kept my BG from going up after eating it. Had I eaten the apple after a fasting period, my BG probably would've gone higher. Sounds logical
Old 02-21-2014, 05:17 AM   #20
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/111.8/124 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD 1/1/12 + LCHF 12/1/13 (controlling diabetes)
Oh yeah, I find if I want to test any new food I need to wait about three hours after the previous meal. Testing the same food at both times has given me results so dissimilar it might as well have been different foods.
gotsomeold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 06:44 PM   #21
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: soapluvr
I eat a quarter of a large apple or half a medium and that's it. Once or twice a week. I eat 1/3 cup of bluberries and half a cup of strawberries. Once in awhile I will eat blackberries. Fruit does raise blood sugar for me but it's got health benefits so I eat it in small amounts.
soapluvr is offline   Reply With Quote