Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > Diabetes
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2014, 02:57 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Ronnie51
Would like some insight if you can help

I'm 62, post menopausal, on meds for hypothyroid, high cholesterol and high blood pressure, all under control with meds. My maternal grandmother and my brother both had/have type 2 diabetes and I'm very afraid of getting it myself, but not type 2, I'm afraid of type 1.5. I've never been overweight (currently weigh 109) and have exercised my entire life. Last year my A1c was 5.9 and it scared me so I cut out pasta, potatoes, rice, bread (occasionally eat it), most processed foods (I now eat Atkins bars), cereal (which was very hard for me). My last A1c was 5.5 (5 months ago) which pleased me, but my fasting glucose was 101. I usually test low to high 90's. That fasting number concerned me, but I figured it was an anomaly. I just had another A1c and it was once again 5.9! My doctor is unconcerned; in fact his e-mail said, "Good news, A1c is 5.9." I don't consider that good news. I'm still eating lower carb so I don't know what happened. My fear is that I may be developing Type 1.5 diabetes as I'm thin and my fasting insulin is around 4. I don't know what my fasting glucose level was as I'm still waiting for the results of the entire blood test. Does anyone have any insight into why my A1c would go up with the same diet? If I decide to approach my doctor, I would like to be armed with more information. Also, what might cause intermittent elevated fasting glucose levels? I also noticed that my 85-year old Mother has a history of fluctuating fasting levels over the years, from 89 to 120 over many years. She's not diabetic and her last bloodwork showed fasting of 87 and A1c of 5.4. I'm wondering if I take after her. Thank you!
Ronnie51 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-12-2014, 07:40 AM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: E.W.
Stats: 318/297/ a lot less
WOE: Fast5
Start Date: restart again 1/17/2014
Have you been doing low carb long ? Sometimes people doing low carb develop a little of what is called physiological insulin resistance. And unlike the regular insulin resistance this is of no concern. In this case it might be best to place most of your attention on your fine 5.9 AIC.
E.W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 09:11 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Thank you for your response, EW. I've been lower carbing for about a year now, I'm not sure if that's considered a long time or not. This morning my fasting BG was 102. An hour after breakfast (Atkins Daybreak bar and some pistachio nuts) it was 99. I'd be happier if those results were reverse .
Old 02-12-2014, 09:13 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: TexasKitKat
Stats: 207/182/150
WOE: LC for Type 2 diabetes
Start Date: restart 1/19/14
I am going to assume when you say your doctor you are referring to your PCP. If so, you might want to ask him for a referral to an endocrinologist. An "endo" is usually much more knowledgeable on diabetes and other diseases of the endocrine system.

Sounds like you want some fine tuning and an endo can help you there or at least give you some peace of mind if you truly have nothing to worry about.

Also, you might want to read about "dawn phenomenon," which is a common occurrence in people that raises blood sugar in the morning.

And, finally, test strips are not an exact science. You could test 3 times in a row and get 3 different readings. The difference between 102 and 99 could just be due to that.

Last edited by TexasKitKat; 02-12-2014 at 09:28 AM..
TexasKitKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 10:42 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Thank you, TexasKitKat. Yes, I'm referring to my PCP; I guess I should start with him as far as what may or may not be occurring with my blood sugar. He's currently treating my husband with Metformin for his insulin resistance and I'm pleased with how he's handled it so far. I know what you mean about the test strips. Yesterday I tested on one finger and it read 117; I immediately tested on the other and it was 112. So, there you go. I tend to over react when it comes to health issues, not only for myself but for my family as well. I'm not due to see my PCP for three months, so I'll monitor my results and discuss them with him in 3 months. I realize this is no emergency. Thanks again.