LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2014, 09:56 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Nikixie
Stats: 364/309/???
WOE: Atkins
Frustrated with blood sugar levels

Hi all,

I'm very frustrated and I'm not getting anywhere with the diabetic nurse at my doctors office so I am turning to you. I'm very worried.

I've been testing my blood sugar since Monday and its been around 260-280 every single time I test. Fasting in the morning, 2 hours after a meal, right before a meal. EVERY. SINGLE. TIME.

I've been taking metforman for 2 weeks - 500mg in the morning. And I've been eating low carb for that amount of time as well. I've been trying to stick to 3 meals a day but I've had a snack or two in there on some days.

Shouldn't my blood sugar be going down?

The only thing is that I have bronchitis. I'm taking cough syrup, but I bought the kind for diabetics and i'm sucking on sugar free cough drops, but only a couple a day. I did have a couple days where i was drinking hot water with Apple Cider Vinegar and a tsp of honey just because it felt so good. I also haven't been to the gym since I've been sick (last Saturday).

Thoughts?

Niki
Nikixie is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-08-2014, 04:59 AM   #2
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: moondogii
WOE: LC
Start Date: Jan 2014
Hi Nikixie...My numbers were really high like that..Started LC and they came down to 120 fasting...When I'm sick they always go up
moondogii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 05:54 AM   #3
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
Wait until you're well to check your numbers. A diabetic's blood sugar is always high when there's any infection in the body.
Leo41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 06:19 PM   #4
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: cfine
Stats: 276/221/199
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: April 2012
In addition to what the others said, upping your metformin seems like a good idea. You can take up to 1500mg per day, but of course, you would need to check with your doctor first. Even being sick, those numbers are very high and your doctors office should be willing to help.
cfine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 12:36 AM   #5
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: barb123
I had gotten very sick,almost died was in the hospital then a nursing home, was put in a medically indused coma for 3 weeks. My numbers were always high well after I was no longer sick. But so sick I was was told it would take well over a year for me to be 100 % okay.
I am now okay, started exercising again but not have the same results. I have started going low carb along with the exercising I can do and my A1C'S have been very good 6.1-6.5.
For a diabetic to be sick will always show up in the numbers no matter what you take or do. The liver I belive puts out more sugar to have enough energy to fite the sickness more than insulin can deal with and a person can only have so much. This was my experience hope this helps
barb123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 05:44 AM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Aomiel
Stats: 330/140/140 A1c 4.8
WOE: Bernstein (Maintenance)
Start Date: January 2010
A friend of mine, knowing how informed I am about diabetes and seeing how I've controlled mine by not following the 'traditional' mode of thought, asked me to go into the Diabetes Clinic with her as her advocate. She wanted the right answers, but didn't know the right questions to ask.

Her BG's were normally around 200 and they put her on Metformin, Amyryl (sp?), Invokana and Junuvia. Please forgive the spellings. Each had a specific purpose and I was actually impressed with the explanation of how each worked with the other. At any rate, her BG's went immediately, on the first day of taking these meds, from approx. 200 down to 90 and that is where they've stayed...except for when she recently was ill. Her BG's went back up to about 190 or so and pretty much stayed there for almost a week after her illness was gone.

They've found that even non-diabetics, taken into the ER with some type of trauma, might have BG's over 200...although they tend to resolve much more quickly so this is apparently normal.

Her doctors did not increase her medication but instead took a 'wait and see'. After 2 weeks of highs, her BG's were back down around 90-100.

Type 2 controlled by low carb diet <25gm carbs and and controlled protein.
Aomiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 11:07 AM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: shebasmudder
Stats: 230/207/160
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: 1/15/14
Your numbers are high probably due to your bronchitis. That being said, 500mg of Met is not going to do much good. Check with your doc if you can increase it to get your numbers down until you start to recover.
shebasmudder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 01:54 AM   #8
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: BABSY
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aomiel View Post
A friend of mine, knowing how informed I am about diabetes and seeing how I've controlled mine by not following the 'traditional' mode of thought, asked me to go into the Diabetes Clinic with her as her advocate. She wanted the right answers, but didn't know the right questions to ask.

Her BG's were normally around 200 and they put her on Metformin, Amyryl (sp?), Invokana and Junuvia. Please forgive the spellings. Each had a specific purpose and I was actually impressed with the explanation of how each worked with the other. At any rate, her BG's went immediately, on the first day of taking these meds, from approx. 200 down to 90 and that is where they've stayed...except for when she recently was ill. Her BG's went back up to about 190 or so and pretty much stayed there for almost a week after her illness was gone.

They've found that even non-diabetics, taken into the ER with some type of trauma, might have BG's over 200...although they tend to resolve much more quickly so this is apparently normal.

Her doctors did not increase her medication but instead took a 'wait and see'. After 2 weeks of highs, her BG's were back down around 90-100.
How is she doing on the Invokana? I heard about stroke in the first 30 days?
BABSY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 07:15 AM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Aomiel
Stats: 330/140/140 A1c 4.8
WOE: Bernstein (Maintenance)
Start Date: January 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by BABSY View Post
How is she doing on the Invokana? I heard about stroke in the first 30 days?
Yeah, that gave me a bit of a pause too, but she's doing fine. My sister has been taking it for about 6 months now (or more?). I think it's probably like anything else. Some people will have problems...some won't...and you just can't predict who will. Personally, if I was a person with high risk factors already, I'd probably try a different med. There's a new one out now called Farxiga which does the same thing as Invokana. No stroke risk. Just possible bladder cancer.
Aomiel is offline   Reply With Quote