Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Diabetes (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/diabetes/)
-   -   need info on free test strips (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/diabetes/822331-need-info-free-test-strips.html)

pawleys14 02-07-2014 06:32 AM

need info on free test strips

hi all - was laid off so I was going to a free clinic that I just loved... a diabetic nurse just great people there... anyway I was getting my test strips - 50 strips for $10.00... a great buy not having to get them for a dollar a strip...

anyway now I am 65 and can not go to the free clinic anymore :sad: so have
a new Doc.. and I like him so far... well my question is where do I go to get the strips free from Medicare... the Doc said that for me to find a place and have the info sent to him and he would sent info back to that company..

help.... thanks

Jrw85705 02-07-2014 10:57 AM

I'm on Medicare and my Dr. just sends my script for strips to Walgreens where I get all of my meds. My prescription is for two test a day so they refill every 25 days and it is no cost.

watcher513 02-08-2014 12:42 AM

As far as I know, anyone on Medicare doesn't have to pay for diabetes supplies.

pawleys14 02-08-2014 03:23 AM

thanks for the info:D

TexasKitKat 02-19-2014 08:58 AM

If you need more than 2 a day and your dr. can't or won't prescribe more than that, Walmart has the "Relion Prime" meter with test strips 50 for $9.00. :)

Aomiel 02-19-2014 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TexasKitKat (Post 16806540)
If you need more than 2 a day and your dr. can't or won't prescribe more than that, Walmart has the "Relion Prime" meter with test strips 50 for $9.00. :)

This is the one I use now for that very reason (price).

pawleys14 02-19-2014 02:27 PM

thanks, but I heard I think on this site that Relion was not as accurate - have you found that it is ok...thanks

TexasKitKat 02-19-2014 06:33 PM

Relion is the "brand" of more than one kind of meter and test strip at Walmart. The Relion Prime seems OK to me.

Galveston Gal 02-19-2014 06:54 PM

I also use the Relion meter/strips...because of cost.
I do not have diabetes, but because my Mom + and my maternal Gma both did...I am all about prevention! I test my bodies responses to foods...so I use more strips than most folks.

Last week, I accidently dropped my meter in the kitchen sink of dishwater:dunno:...I'm clumsy!
I took out the battery, stuck it in the dehydrator at the lowest setting over night(it is an American Harvest brand that circulates/dries air nicely) and the next moring it tested great!
I couldn't believe it! :console:...but that only lasted 2 days!!!!....so I bought a new one!!!:hyst:

Out of curiosity I went to Kroger's pharmacy. Their cheapest meter was $19.99..and the strips for that meter were $36.00 for 25 strips.:eek:

....so I went right back to WalMart and got the new Relion Prime meter!:jumpjoy: and I moved all my testing gear away from the kitchen sink!:o

pawleys14 02-20-2014 08:50 AM

galveston - sorry that you dropped your meter.... I went to the clinic that I was going to before I turned 65 and got 100 strips for my meter for $20
the women at the front desk do not know that I have turned 65 (wow I sure hate saying that :D) and I do not feel bad because they get a lot of these strips and I do pay for them... so until I look into another way of going I will use these strips for the next few months.....