Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Diabetes (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/diabetes/)
-   -   There is hope (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/diabetes/822236-there-hope.html)

diwitch 02-06-2014 03:55 AM

There is hope

Disclaimer: I am not a doctor, nor am I advising anyone to stop taking their prescribed medication, this is just MY story and what has worked/is working for me.

In October of 2008, I was admitted to the hospital, DKA, BG well over 1000. I was not previously diabetic, I had contracted a staph infection, it was misdiagnosed, ran rampant in my body for 3 weeks, darn near killed me and destroyed my pancreatic function. Since then, until recently, I have been on insulin (5 shots a day, 2 basal, 3 bolus).

I have not take any insulin (or any other meds for that matter) for the last 11 days. My FBG has ranged from 100 to 110, no spikes during the day higher than 140. While this is still a bit high, I am very happy with it.

How did I do this you ask? :)

I eat a LCHF diet (low carb, high fat), I do take benfotiamine (for neuropathy) and 2 ounces a day of ACV. Generally my fat/carb/protein ratio runs around 80/5/15. That's 80% of my calories from fat, 5% from carbs, 10% from protein. My blood panels are stellar, my doctor is in shock and I am one happy camper. I started the LCHF in September of last year, started gradually reducing my insulin until I got down to one shot a day (bolus). Then I stopped that too.

I am not saying LCHF is a miracle cure or that it is for everyone. But I help run a facebook group dedicated to helping diabetics with this WOE and the results many people have achieved have been outstanding. Off of the top of my head I can think of at least 10 people that have completely eliminated their need for insulin/metformin/januvia/glip etc. Many more have greatly reduced their use of meds while stablizing blood sugar and losing weight as well.

Everyone has to find out what works for them, but there is hope.

Di

cfine 02-08-2014 07:21 PM

I got off of all meds with the same approach.

barb123 02-16-2014 01:26 AM

still not sure how to do this ,but

I am on my way to low carb, just today I will have spent over $250.00 in various products. I have in the past exercised my but off could eat 1/2 a med pizza, thin crust and 1-2 hours later my sugar would be around 68-91. But as I have been injuried in an accident I can not always do this. So I have been going low carb. Since I have started I have had to lower my meds, my A1C'S have been between 6.5 and 6.1 . I do not feel as if I have been deprived of anything. I love to cook and just found a way to learn even more.

Aomiel 02-16-2014 07:06 AM

There are a lot of us who've reversed our insulin resistance and got off all medications and keep a 'normal' A1c by following a LCHD. For those interested, pick up a copy of Dr. Bernstein's "Diabetes Solution". He advocates controlling carbs (less than 25gm per day and only from non-starchy vegies), controlling protein (1-1.5gm per kilo of ideal weight) and his diet has to be higher fat than I remember since that means the rest of the calories will come from fats. As I said, I'll have to read the book again.