LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2014, 10:52 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: TexasKitKat
Stats: 207/182/150
WOE: LC for Type 2 diabetes
Start Date: restart 1/19/14
Has LC helped your diabetic neuropathy?

I am wondering if any of you had an improvement of diabetic nerve pain in your feet from eating LC?
TexasKitKat is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-02-2014, 06:07 AM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Aomiel
Stats: 330/140/140 A1c 4.8
WOE: Bernstein (Maintenance)
Start Date: January 2010
Yes. I had numbness and tingling in my toes for about a year (just on one foot), but thought it was due to a neuroma in my foot. Within a month of doing Bernstein, the tingling lessened. It took many more months for it to reverse completely.

Whether or not it reverses will have to do with how long this has been going on (how much damage has been done) and how well you control your diabetes long term. Fortunately, it's one of the neuropathies that can be reversed because the nerves can grow back.
Aomiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 02:41 PM   #3
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: cfine
Stats: 276/221/199
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: April 2012
Mine has went away completely.
cfine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 02:36 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: diwitch
Stats: 140/140/140
WOE: Mine
Start Date: Jan, 2009
The combination of benfotiamine and BG control has reduced mine greatly. It used to affect both legs from the knees on down, now just the top of my toes and the bottom of my feet from the middle of the arches to my toes.
diwitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 04:14 PM   #5
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Sarahkitty
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aomiel View Post
Yes. I had numbness and tingling in my toes for about a year (just on one foot), but thought it was due to a neuroma in my foot. Within a month of doing Bernstein, the tingling lessened. It took many more months for it to reverse completely.

Whether or not it reverses will have to do with how long this has been going on (how much damage has been done) and how well you control your diabetes long term. Fortunately, it's one of the neuropathies that can be reversed because the nerves can grow back.
I have seen the name Bernstein several times here. What made you go over to his side? - I have purchased a few diabetic books and was never pleased with their recipes or ideas. I am willing to read his work if others say his plan is worth checking out. Is he low carb? I do low carb and believe it is very important.
Sarahkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 04:34 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: haferchamp
Start Date: 12/15/12
Dr. Bernstein has been a type 1 diabetic all is life. He shares his journey as well as all of his research on the subject of diabetes. He's very low carb and everything you want to know about diabetes is in his book. He's kind of the Guru of diabetes. Money well spent!
haferchamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 06:56 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Jrw85705
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahkitty View Post
I have seen the name Bernstein several times here. What made you go over to his side? - I have purchased a few diabetic books and was never pleased with their recipes or ideas. I am willing to read his work if others say his plan is worth checking out. Is he low carb? I do low carb and believe it is very important.
The best thing I ever did was read Dr. Bernstein's book. As one of the many who follow his method I have been able to completely control my blood glucose numbers and have not had any of the many possible side effects.

He is the best advocate a diabetic person has, bar none. He completely believes that a low carb way of eating is the only way for anyone with diabetes to eat. He not only talks the talk, he walks the walk being a type 1 since he was 11 or 12. Almost everything in his book that he suggest comes from his own personal experience.

His personal story is amazing and his dedication to treating diabetes is unparalleled. I have found I must be very strict in how I eat following his method. No cheats - ever! It is the only way for me to maintain both my weight and my blood glucose numbers.

He has a monthly podcast: Ask Dr. Richard K. Bernstein

Good luck and please let us know how you are doing.
I won’t define myself by a disease.
Jrw85705 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 06:16 PM   #8
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: cfine
Stats: 276/221/199
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: April 2012
Dr. Bernstein greatly influenced me to start a low carb lifestyle. Loved his book. When I was faced with the diagnosis of diabetes at such a young age (40) it was a hard blow, but he made me feel like I could actually be in control of my own health. I am now medication free.
cfine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 11:45 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: TexasKitKat
Stats: 207/182/150
WOE: LC for Type 2 diabetes
Start Date: restart 1/19/14
No offense people but I think my thread has been hijacked by those wanting to discuss Dr. Bernstein (not diabetic neuropathy). Please start another thread about Dr. Bernstein & diabetes if you want to discuss that topic (a great one I might add!).

Thank you!

Now....any one else have comments about diabetic neuropathy?

Last edited by TexasKitKat; 02-10-2014 at 11:46 AM..
TexasKitKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 09:07 AM   #10
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: sirkerry
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasKitKat View Post
I am wondering if any of you had an improvement of diabetic nerve pain in your feet from eating LC?
Yep, it's gotten less severe and now mostly confined to my feet.
sirkerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 05:50 AM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Aomiel
Stats: 330/140/140 A1c 4.8
WOE: Bernstein (Maintenance)
Start Date: January 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahkitty View Post
Yes Bernstein is low carb. Actually, very low carb, but he does a number of other things to help reverse the insulin resistance that made us diabetics.

To the OP...low carb wasn't enough to control my blood sugars. It wasn't until I discovered Bernstein that I realized it was because it's just not enough to control your carbs when you're diabetic. You also have to watch your protein. On Atkins, I was probably eating around 110+ grams of protein per day. Following Bernstein, I now eat no more than 63gm per day and that, along with the very low carb, has reversed my insulin resistance, controlled my blood sugars and reversed the neuropathy in my feet, as well as a few others that I thought were due to hitting menopause but were due to high blood sugars.

Type 2 controlled by low carb diet <25gm carbs and and controlled protein.
Aomiel is offline   Reply With Quote