Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2014, 07:33 AM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: cindy614
WOE: Low carb, low/no sugar
Start Date: October 29, 2013
Relatively New Diabetic

Hello, I was diagnosed as having diabetes on October 29, 2013. I am not on medication yet but am monitoring my bg as per drs. orders 3x per day,Waking, 2hrs. after lunch, amd 2 hrs after dinner. I have lost approx. 16lbs since being diagnosed by trying to eat low carb and cutting out sugar except for occasional sugar substitutes.

I am still struggling to lower my bg. I try to always eat a salad prepared the same way for lunch everyday and sometimes my bg is normal after eating and other times it is a little elevated. I don't understand why after eating the same thing it can vary. i am afraid that my dr. may put me on medication when I go back and I do not want that to happen. Any advice?
cindy614 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-27-2014, 09:46 AM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Aomiel
Stats: 330/140/140 A1c 4.8
WOE: Bernstein (Maintenance)
Start Date: January 2010
I would pick up a copy of Dr. Bernstein's "Diabetes Solution". There are many things that affect our blood sugar.

Do you know what your A1c is? Your doctor should be able to tell you. If he didn't do an A1c and he's saying you're diabetic, I'd find a new doctor.

Testing after meals is kind of iffy because some people are lowest at 1 hour, some at 2, etc. I was told there was no need to test except morning and evening and right before I eat...since I should be at my lowest right before my meal (assuming you aren't snacking between meals - which is not recommended btw).
Aomiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 01:19 PM   #3
Junior LCF Member

My a1c was 8.9 the 2nd week of November. I go back on Feb.17th to have another one. My dr. said he really didn't know why my a1c was so high based on the readings I am have been getting.

May I ask why low carb snacking between meals is not allowed? I was told by the dietician I have been seeing that its ok to have a snack. I am allowed 30-45 carbs per meal (but I do not eat even close to that many) and 15-30 per snack. I have been trying to watch what I eat since my diagnosis but was also told that I can eat whatever I would like except in moderation. (I don't however.)

Like I said I am relatively new to all of this and am very appreciative of any advice and help anyone can give me.
Old 01-27-2014, 01:47 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Jrw85705
Quote:
Originally Posted by cindy614 View Post
My a1c was 8.9 the 2nd week of November. I go back on Feb.17th to have another one. My dr. said he really didn't know why my a1c was so high based on the readings I am have been getting.

May I ask why low carb snacking between meals is not allowed? I was told by the dietician I have been seeing that its ok to have a snack. I am allowed 30-45 carbs per meal (but I do not eat even close to that many) and 15-30 per snack. I have been trying to watch what I eat since my diagnosis but was also told that I can eat whatever I would like except in moderation. (I don't however.)

Like I said I am relatively new to all of this and am very appreciative of any advice and help anyone can give me.
If your A1c was 8.9 that is high. It is an average blood glucose reading of 209. I too would suggest you get a copy of Dr. Bernstein's Diabetes Solution. He explains that eating anything will raise your numbers but when you eat carbs they will go even higher. He says that for every gram of carbs he eats his blood glucose will go up 5 points. Now he is a type 1 and everyone is different but even as a type 2 I have about the same results.

So if you are eating 40 grams of carbs you blood glucose could go up as much as 200 points. Those of us who are following Dr. Bernstein's method will eat no more than 20 to 30 carbs a day and those only come from non-starchy veggies. I never eat anything made with flour or sugar. And too much protein will also raise my blood sugar.

There really isn't any way to "sugar coat" this way of dealing with diabetes. But you will have to find what works for you and fits into your life style. Many doctors and most dietitians will not agree but you have to take control of your own health.

Hope that helps.
Denis Waitley
Jrw85705 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 09:02 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: haferchamp
Start Date: 12/15/12
I learned to "eat to my meter" from reading Jenny Ruhl's "Blood Sugar 101". I test 1 hour and 2 hours after eating. My goal is to not spike over 140 at the 1 hour test and be below 120 at the 2 hour test. It's wise to not go past 5 hours without eating since your liver will release glucose on its own and in higher doses than if you had eaten something. Therefore I eat small meals and have snacks of maybe a couple of cheese sticks, a handful of nuts, pepperoni and cheese slices, hard boiled eggs, etc...

I also don't count how many carbs i'm eating but have learned from lots of testing what will and won't spike my readings. I try to stick as close to clean eating as possible. A piece of protein and a steamed veggie, or a large salad. I avoid all grains and sugar (as much as possible) but do however go off plan and eat something I shouldn't. I can also feel the difference when I do that now. I was never in tune to my digestive system before I started this journey. Some days it's easier than others but over all I've gotten the hang of it.

Good luck to you and welcome!
haferchamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 03:20 PM   #6
Junior LCF Member

Thanks everyone. I will check out our library and see if they have Dr. Berstein's book. I am still learning and I know that it's not going to be an easy row to hoe but I am in it for the long haul. I wan to be healthy for my children. : )
Old 02-04-2014, 04:57 PM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: That Girl
Quote:
Originally Posted by cindy614 View Post

Even at the very lowest of carbs, that ends up being over 135 carbs per day....that's a lot of carbs. If you are doing low carb you will want to lower your carb intake quite a bit....Good luck, I know it's hard and confusing to get to where you want to be, but you will. Dr. Bernsteins book is very good. Also just wanted to add that stress, sickness, etc. will elevate your sugar too. Congrats on your weight loss, that's terrific! When you go back to the dr. and if he wants to put you on meds, ask him to give you another 3mths and see what he says, he may surprise you!

Last edited by That Girl; 02-04-2014 at 05:03 PM..
That Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 05:11 PM   #8
Junior LCF Member

Thanks. I have lowered my carbs way more than what my dietician suggested. My bg is getting better and it is getting to be a little easier. Thank you for the advice to ask to wait about being put on meds. If he suggests that I will definately ask to wait. I go back on Feb. 17th for another a1c, I am actually excited to see how much it has lowered. (I know it has to have . : ))
Old 02-06-2014, 03:37 PM   #9
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/111.8/124 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD 1/1/12 + LCHF 12/1/13 (controlling diabetes)
Cindy, Dr Bernstein's book is excellent. Grab it if you can.

But I do encourage you to do an internet zip over to blood sugar 101 and learn about eating to your meter...and a lot more.

It is amazing how much you can learn about how your body reacts to foods by testing on a regular schedule that is designed to catch your post-meal highs and verify that you have safely come down from that high.

I am getting ready to request the tests that will tell if I am T2 or LADA, but right now my meter and pretty strict LCHF is doing a great job of keeping my BG downright boring.
STILL below goal 2/15/14

I did not "lose" weight. I evicted it. It is gone and it ain't coming back!

JUDDD cares about calories. JUDDD does not care what you eat. Your body probably does.
gotsomeold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 07:07 AM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: E.W.
Stats: 312/310/ a lot less
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: restart again 10/27/2014
My hat's off to you for doing all that exercise. But some studies show that as crazy as it seems doing it before you eat turns out to be a LOT better for you. If you do a google for exercising in the fasted state you will find several article on this.
E.W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 07:11 AM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Aomiel
Stats: 330/140/140 A1c 4.8
WOE: Bernstein (Maintenance)
Start Date: January 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrw85705 View Post
If your A1c was 8.9 that is high. It is an average blood glucose reading of 209. I too would suggest you get a copy of Dr. Bernstein's Diabetes Solution. He explains that eating anything will raise your numbers but when you eat carbs they will go even higher. He says that for every gram of carbs he eats his blood glucose will go up 5 points. Now he is a type 1 and everyone is different but even as a type 2 I have about the same results.

So if you are eating 40 grams of carbs you blood glucose could go up as much as 200 points. Those of us who are following Dr. Bernstein's method will eat no more than 20 to 30 carbs a day and those only come from non-starchy veggies. I never eat anything made with flour or sugar. And too much protein will also raise my blood sugar.

There really isn't any way to "sugar coat" this way of dealing with diabetes. But you will have to find what works for you and fits into your life style. Many doctors and most dietitians will not agree but you have to take control of your own health.

Hope that helps.

Bernstein is not just trying to lower your blood sugars, he's also trying to reverse the insulin resistance which is what made us diabetic. This is why he advocates 3 meals versus 6 small (traditional approach) and why he advocates 25gm of carbs per day vs. the traditional 140-160gm.

This is one book worth purchasing. I've read it 3 times (and am about to do it again) and everytime I find something new that I missed the previous time around.
Aomiel is offline   Reply With Quote